Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat  (Read 9064 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2021, 11:20:59 am »

Dream Comes True
cost $0* - Night - Prize - Victory
Put any number of cards from your play you would discard from play this turn onto your deck.
---
2VP per a Prize you have.

2 additional card types in Prize pile.

This entry is withdrawn.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:31:31 am by majiponi »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2021, 12:21:15 pm »
+1

Dream Comes True
Put any number of cards from your play onto your deck.
---

This should take a page from Improve and Scheme's books and say "put any number of cards you would discard from play this turn onto your deck." It's probably not a great idea to be able to topdeck Duration cards that were played this turn.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2021, 07:22:22 pm »
+1

Dream Comes True
---

Small language issue, in addition to Gubump's comment: it should be just "per Prize", not "per a Prize"

The victory part seems a bit tacked-on to me.  Like, that's similar to King's Castle, but Castles are already victory cards, so it makes sense on that one.  Plus, the ability to scheme any number of cards already makes this incredibly powerful.  Once you get this, you can basically control what you draw for the entire rest of the game, since it would be able to topdeck itself in addition to whatever else it's topdecking - basically a one-card golden deck!  And since it's a Prize, only one person can own it.  This seems incredibly overpowered even without the VP.  I'd suggest putting some kind of limit on the top-decking
They/them

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2021, 07:44:41 pm »

Dream Comes True
---

Small language issue, in addition to Gubump's comment: it should be just "per Prize", not "per a Prize"

The victory part seems a bit tacked-on to me.  Like, that's similar to King's Castle, but Castles are already victory cards, so it makes sense on that one.  Plus, the ability to scheme any number of cards already makes this incredibly powerful.  Once you get this, you can basically control what you draw for the entire rest of the game, since it would be able to topdeck itself in addition to whatever else it's topdecking - basically a one-card golden deck!  And since it's a Prize, only one person can own it.  This seems incredibly overpowered even without the VP.  I'd suggest putting some kind of limit on the top-decking

I don't think that's true. In games using DCT, Followeres is always available. You have to discard a Province to gain a Prize, so you have to draw a Province again to gain Followeres to stop other players gaining it.
What do you discard if you have DCT when another player plays Followeres? DCT doesn't earn a single $. That's why I think DCT is not broken.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2021, 07:58:14 pm »

Dream Comes True
---

I don't think that's true. In games using DCT, Followeres is always available. You have to discard a Province to gain a Prize, so you have to draw a Province again to gain Followeres to stop other players gaining it.
What do you discard if you have DCT when another player plays Followeres? DCT doesn't earn a single $. That's why I think DCT is not broken.

You discard some other cards.  If your opponent has Followers, then you'll know, when topdecking, to make sure that there are two relatively disposable cards in the top 5.  If you've got a decent engine with decent draw, then you'll have a lot of cards that you can topdeck.  Make sure that the top 5 includes something that draws, and you can withstand Followers, or almost any other discard attack.  Especially since you get to choose the order that you're topdecking
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:00:26 pm by mxdata »
They/them

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2021, 12:09:58 am »
+1

Dream Comes True
Put any number of cards from your play you would discard from play this turn onto your deck.
---

I’m trying to avoid making suggestions on cards (as it feels unfair if I don’t do it for everyone) but this card in its current form does not qualify for the contest, as it is not a Kingdom card.
Please let me know if the original rules are unclear because I assumed people would interpret “Kingdom Card” as “one of the 10 cards you select” and not include non-Supply cards such as Prizes. If it is unclear I will update the original post.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2021, 12:31:11 am »

this card in its current form does not qualify for the contest, as it is not a Kingdom card.

I totally skipped over that part in your prompt. My only thought is maybe including a reminder of what qualifies as a kingdom card?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2021, 01:15:35 am »

this card in its current form does not qualify for the contest, as it is not a Kingdom card.

I totally skipped over that part in your prompt. My only thought is maybe including a reminder of what qualifies as a kingdom card?

Thanks for the input, I’ve updated the original post for this.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2021, 02:45:21 am »
+3

Pillow
Treasure - Night - Reserve - $5
If it's Night phase, put this
on your Tavern mat. Otherwise,
$2
-
At start of your Buy phase,
you may call this to play it.

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2021, 09:20:34 am »

Extortionist
Action - Attack - Reserve [$5]
+$2
+1 Buy

Each other player gains a curse to thier hand. Put this on your tavern mat.

When another player gains a card costing [$4] or more, you may call this to gain a Gold.

I almost missed the call line; maybe you could see about making it not as long?  :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, can you elaborate?

I mean, the line separating "When you call this" from the rest of the text spanned the full page, so I assumed the post ended before then and was really confused why it was a reserve card.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2021, 11:54:43 am »
+3

Pillow
$2
-

This seems like a really convoluted way of designing a Treasure that is just +2 Coffers. I know Coffers are normally on Actions, not Treasures, but it basically works that way here.

Granted, +2 Coffers is slightly more flexible than this card because here you have to spend them both on the same turn.
he/him

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2021, 02:19:30 pm »
+1

Pillow
$2
-
you may call this to play it.[/size]

This seems like a really convoluted way of designing a Treasure that is just +2 Coffers. I know Coffers are normally on Actions, not Treasures, but it basically works that way here.

Granted, +2 Coffers is slightly more flexible than this card because here you have to spend them both on the same turn.
Pillow is actually very different from Coffers because you can't play it again until you've spent the coins, so it prevents the stockpiling issue that would make a "+2 Coffers" Treasure unfeasible.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2021, 02:19:51 pm »
+3

Quote from: MochaMoko
Barrows
⑤ Action - Duration - Victory
At the start of each of your
Buy phases for the rest of the
game, set aside a card from
your hand face up (on this).
(This stays in play.)
-
Worth 2 VP per Action card set
aside by this at end of game.

Hey there, fella! Do you want to build a pyramid? Stack a bunch of junk in a heap, put some Action cards in, bake for 15 minutes, serve chilled!
Oh, it doesn't look the way I imagined it to. Well I hope it's tasty enough.

FAQ: You must put a card on Barrows if you can. A copy of Barrows also only counts the Actions that it itself has set aside; you can't buy Colonies for ⑤ all of a sudden, sorry mate. And anyone may look through your set-aside-by-Barrows piles. It's kind of disrespectful to dig through other people's graves though.
If you set aside a Barrows on a Barrows, the Barrows you have in play is worth 2 VP more. The Barrows you have set aside on it is worth 0 VP, because it has not set aside any Action cards.

You might be reminded of Cathedral. Barrows keeps the cards yours, so feel free to put in your Provinces and other cards that you want for scoring purposes. It also triggers at the start of your Buy phase, so you aren't hampered by the limited options your starting hand offers you. I expect it will be much more pleasant to play with than Cathedral later on, but less pleasant than Cathedral early on, because you actually have to draw a card and play it to get cooking. And, well, it costs ⑤.

EDIT: Cost changed from ④ to ⑤.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:20:52 pm by MochaMoko »

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2021, 02:56:07 pm »

Pillow
$2
-

Yep, it's designed as +2 Coffers in a disguise (slightly worse as it misses reshuffle while stashed).
Not sure about the correct price, definitely stronger than a typical $4, but a bit too weak for $5 - maybe needs "+1 Buy" for offset

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2021, 03:22:14 pm »
+1

Barrows
④ Action - Duration - Victory
(This stays in play.)
-

Hey there, fella! Do you want to build a pyramid? Stack a bunch of junk in a heap, put some Action cards in, bake for 15 minutes, serve chilled!

FAQ: You must put a card on Barrows if you can. A copy of Barrows also only counts the Actions that it itself has set aside; you can't buy Colonies for ④ all of a sudden, sorry mate. And anyone may look through your set-aside-by-Barrows piles. It's kind of disrespectful to dig through other people's graves though.

You might be reminded of Cathedral. Barrows keeps the cards yours, so feel free to put in your Provinces and other cards that you want for scoring purposes. It also triggers at the start of your Buy phase, so you aren't hampered by the limited options your starting hand offers you. I expect it will be much more pleasant to play with than Cathedral later on, but less pleasant than Cathedral early on, because you actually have to draw a card and play it to get cooking. And, well, it costs ④.

Great idea, but looks OP to me, even without the VP bonus. Stashing cards at the buy phase (rather than at start of the turn) makes this much stronger than Cathedral, especially if you can build a cashless engine. With Ironworks it goes bonkers

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 03:45:13 pm »
+5

Here's my submission this week. Stowaway is an old card of mine that I've updated a bit for this challenge (The original was an Action instead of a Night and could set aside any number of cards). A sort of mashup of Church and Ambassador, this lets you set aside up to three cards for next turn and gives your opponents a copy of one of them. Unlike Church/Ambassador, Stowaway doesn't help you thin at all, but it can stash away junk to keep shuffles cleaner while junking other players. As a Night card, it plays nice with terminal draw and saving dead drawn Actions, but you'll need to line it up with some junk too lest you give your opponent a good card. You're usually sending over Coppers or Estates, but it's got some of Ambassador's same tricks too (Cursing, pile control, handing out no longer needed Actions like Moneylender, or gifting a Province to end the game).   

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »

Great idea, but looks OP to me, even without the VP bonus. Stashing cards at the buy phase (rather than at start of the turn) makes this much stronger than Cathedral, especially if you can build a cashless engine. With Ironworks it goes bonkers
I was considering that this would probably be something like a must-buy for thinning, and if I made it too expensive, it would be hard to access. Forge is rather weak because it's so hard for it to trash by the time you've got it, but this one can line up with trash a lot easier than Forge can, though significantly slower at the fast end. Do you think Barrows would be better costing ⑤ or ⑥? I initially had it at ⑥, then put it down to ⑤, then down to ④ because I didn't want only ⑤/② openings to be able to open it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2021, 06:54:14 pm »

Barrows
④ Action - Duration - Victory
(This stays in play.)
-

FAQ: You must put a card on Barrows if you can. A copy of Barrows also only counts the Actions that it itself has set aside; you can't buy Colonies for ④ all of a sudden, sorry mate. And anyone may look through your set-aside-by-Barrows piles. It's kind of disrespectful to dig through other people's graves though.

You might be reminded of Cathedral. Barrows keeps the cards yours, so feel free to put in your Provinces and other cards that you want for scoring purposes. It also triggers at the start of your Buy phase, so you aren't hampered by the limited options your starting hand offers you. I expect it will be much more pleasant to play with than Cathedral later on, but less pleasant than Cathedral early on, because you actually have to draw a card and play it to get cooking. And, well, it costs ④.

The VP would be especially insane in a game with Ruins and extra buys.  Just keep buying up Ruins with your extra buys to build up the Barrows!
They/them

MochaMoko

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2021, 07:02:01 pm »

So, if you've played two Barrows, you'd have to set aside a card on each?

And, what happens if you put a Barrows on top of another Barrows?
Yes, if you've played two Barrows, you'd have to set aside one card on each Barrows at the start of your Buy phase, if you can. Similarly, if you play a Barrows multiple times, you will have to put a card on that Barrows as many times as you played it.

Barrows only counts Action cards set aside by itself, not by other Barrows. So if a Barrows sets aside a Barrows, the set-aside Barrows is worth 0 VP, because no Actions have been set aside by it. The Barrows in play that you set aside the other Barrows on top of is worth 2 more VP. I've edited in an explanation in the original post as well.

If your Barrows leaves play (via Bonfire, basically), it is no longer worth VP. The set-aside cards stay set aside. That's a special rule that I'll have to make, because identifying Barrows from the trash would be impossible. I don't think there's any other way to remove Barrows from play. Sorry, but blame Bonfire. I could reword Barrows to be like, "Worth 2 VP per Action set aside by your Barrows if it's in play at end of game (Otherwise worth 0 VP)", but that's way too much text, unfortunately.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2021, 09:15:10 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Quote from: Doppelgänger

DOPPELGÄNGER     $4
ACTION - NIGHT - REACTION
Trash this. If you did, gain a copy of any Action card in play. You may set the gained card aside. If you did, play it.

At the start of each other player's Night phase, you may play this from your hand.

(Updated)

My submission is Doppelgänger. A riff on Changeling, it only gains Action cards, but immediately plays the card it gained. The three card types each provide an option for when it is played. It can be played during the Action phase, but it costs an Action (and players may not be able to play the Action they want duplicated and the Doppelgänger). If played during the Night phase it does not cost an Action (and all of the Action cards will have been played), but for most Action cards, playing them then will be of little to no benefit. It can even be played on an opponent's turn as a Reaction, allowing you to gain a copy of one of their Action cards (presumably gaining the card they just played, but not necessarily) that would not be in play on your turn; but, again, playing the gained card on their turn will usually be of little value.

Previous version:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:52:42 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2021, 10:08:40 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Quote from: Doppelgänger

DOPPELGÄNGER     $4
ACTION - NIGHT - REACTION
Trash this. If you did, gain a copy of any Action card in play. You may set the gained card aside. If you did, play it.

When another player plays an Action card, you may play this from your hand.

My submission is Doppelgänger. A riff on Changeling, it only gains Action cards, but immediately plays the card it gained. The three card types each provide an option for when it is played. It can be played during the Action phase, but it costs an Action (and players may not be able to play the Action they want duplicated and the Doppelgänger). If played during the Night phase it does not cost an Action (and all of the Action cards will have been played), but for most Action cards, playing them then will be of little to no benefit. It can even be played on an opponent's turn as a Reaction, allowing you to gain a copy of one of their Action cards (presumably gaining the card they just played, but not necessarily) that would not be in play on your turn; but, again, playing the gained card on their turn will usually be of little value.

There are plenty of cards that would be useful when gained outside your Action phase.  Attack cards, for example, and Gainers.  And draw would be very useful too.  Use this to gain a Smithy or Hunting Grounds on another player's turn, and you've got a free +3 cards or +4 cards without having to use an Action!

The reaction trigger, though, seems like it would potentially slow the game down, since you'd be able to respond to *every* Action played.  Perhaps make it instead "at the start of another player's Buy phase"?
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2021, 03:20:39 pm »

An throne room you can play during your night phase in case you draw it dead. And at the beginning of your next turn, you get a bit of reliability!

edit: Modified it so now its a Throne room you can play now, or if you draw it it dead, and then choose if you want the Throne roomed effect at the start of next turn.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:43:48 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2021, 12:15:44 pm »
+2

An throne room you can play during your night phase in case you draw it dead. And at the beginning of your next turn, you get a bit of reliability!

It's much stronger than Mastermind, almost as good as KC. I think, playing once now and once later would be just fine for $5

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2021, 01:20:29 pm »
+5

Not really. Many Action cards are pointless or borderline pointless in the Night phase.
KC is so brilliant because it converts even a lousy Pearl Diver into a Lost City plus village. So cantrips are what you often wanna Throne and Dark Carriage doesn’t do any tricks with cantrips.

Dark Carriage is also an Action card. You can still Throne a Pearl Diver in your Action phase, and have a Hireling + Village effect at the start of  your next turn.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2021, 04:21:40 pm »

It's much stronger than Mastermind, almost as good as KC. I think, playing once now and once later would be just fine for $5

Once now and once later was tested for Seaside, and it was an outtake because it was way too weak. Being a Night card definitely doesn't make it enough stronger to cost .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 21 queries.