Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat  (Read 9076 times)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat
« on: June 24, 2021, 11:19:11 am »
+6

Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat

When it comes to Dominion, I love the flashy stuff. Take out all the non-Supply things, bring out all the mats, gather all the multi-type cards (this is probably a large part of why I love Nocturne so much :P )
With that being said, there aren't a ton of official cards with many types. Sure a lot of them have 2, but there are significantly less with 3. (only 30?) Let's fix that shall we?

Design a Kingdom Card that uses exactly three types.
Edit: By “Kingdom Card” I mean specifically “one of the 10 cards you select for a game.” This does not include non-Supply piles such as Prizes, Traveller upgrades, Spirits, etc

A couple points of clarification:
- Each type should be meaningful and be relevant in games fairly often (a counter-example to this would be a Reaction that lets you play it from your hand when an opponent buys an Action costing $7 or more, there are only 7 of these total so it would not be relevant very often)
- Fan-made card types are allowed, but you must provide a brief explanation of the type's significance in your post

Judging:
- Submissions for this WDC will be open until 10 PM EST on Thursday July 1st. I'll try to have the results posted 24 hours or so after that.
- I will judge based on how fun and balanced the card looks to me. Strong (but not OP) cards and cards with lots of synergies will get a higher score than weaker, very niche cards.

Alright that's all from me for now! Have fun designing!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 01:14:59 am by AJL828 »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Re: Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 03:08:22 pm »
+1

That's kind of incredible in a way. This was exactly the next contest I planned on doing as well! So I'm glad to see that. I will definitely send a submission soon enough. :)
Bottom text

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 06:57:29 pm »
+1

Extortionist
Action - Attack - Reserve
+
+1 Buy

Each other player gains a curse to their hand. Put this on your tavern mat.

When another player gains a card costing or more, you may call this to gain a Gold.

Edit: Fixed a typo, added image
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 11:06:44 pm by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 08:39:03 pm »
+1

Since using your own types is allowed, I assume that using your own new mechanics is allowed.

Caltrops

Jinx Tokens
Whenever you have 6 or more Jinx tokens, you return 6 and gain a Curse.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:09:58 pm »
+1

That's kind of incredible in a way. This was exactly the next contest I planned on doing as well! So I'm glad to see that. I will definitely send a submission soon enough. :)

Same actually!  Well, "three or more" was what I was thinking, but I suspect most entries to such a contest would be 3 types anyways
They/them

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 02:08:38 am »

Extortionist
Action - Attack - Reserve [$5]
+$2
+1 Buy

Each other player gains a curse to thier hand. Put this on your tavern mat.

When another player gains a card costing [$4] or more, you may call this to gain a Gold.

I almost missed the call line; maybe you could see about making it not as long?  :P

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 02:27:29 am »
+2

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 04:08:44 am »
+6

Warden - Action Duration Reaction, $5 cost.
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards, then put a card from your hand onto your deck.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may play this from your hand.
Caravan variant that can defend against Attacks in new ways, like hide something from a Pillage, reduce the chances of a Knight hitting something, tell a Jester what to do, carry a card over to the next hand Minion gives you, or soften Militia by keeping a card safe on the deck to draw next turn.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 04:25:50 am »
+2

This entry is using some more obscure types.

Legate - $4
Action/Command/Gathering

If there are less than 3VP on the Legate pile, add 1VP to the Legate pile and play a non-Command Action from the supply, leaving it there.
-
When you gain this, take the VP from the Legate pile.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

exfret

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 04:53:23 am »

This entry is using some more obscure types.

Legate - $4
Action/Command/Gathering

If there are less than 3VP on the Legate pile, add 1VP to the Legate pile and play a non-Command Action from the supply, leaving it there.
-
When you gain this, take the VP from the Legate pile.

Darnit, the competition is getting pretty tough this week.  ;)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 08:49:50 am »

Sneak
Action/Duration/Reaction - $4
+2 Cards
At the start of your next turn, +1 Action
____
At the start of any Buy phase, if the current player has one or fewer cards in play, you may play this from your hand.

Edit: Removed the Heirloom and changed the reaction trigger.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 07:46:48 am by NoMoreFun »

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 09:07:54 am »

Extortionist
Action - Attack - Reserve [$5]
+$2
+1 Buy

Each other player gains a curse to thier hand. Put this on your tavern mat.

When another player gains a card costing [$4] or more, you may call this to gain a Gold.

I almost missed the call line; maybe you could see about making it not as long?  :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, can you elaborate?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 12:31:52 pm »

Sneak
+2 Cards
____
At the start of another player's turn, you may play this from your hand
Heirloom: Torch

Torch
Treasure/Attack/Heirloom - $2
Worth $1
Each player (inlcuding you) with 6 or more cards in hand may discard their hand and draw 4 cards, your choice. If you discarded your hand, +$3.

Torch is not really an attack, because it doesn't do anything bad that the other players can't control. If a player doesn't want to discard their hand, they just decline, simple. Also I understand that Sneak is trying to make it so that people can have 6 cards in hand on your turn, but I don't really like that it depends on being in your starting hand to get the benefit. Well, more importantly, the trigger time seems confusing (it is well defined, but it's still a head scratcher). Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 12:47:59 pm »

Sneak
+2 Cards
____

Torch
Worth $1
Each player (inlcuding you) with 6 or more cards in hand may discard their hand and draw 4 cards, your choice. If you discarded your hand, +$3.

Torch is not really an attack, because it doesn't do anything bad that the other players can't control. If a player doesn't want to discard their hand, they just decline, simple. Also I understand that Sneak is trying to make it so that people can have 6 cards in hand on your turn, but I don't really like that it depends on being in your starting hand to get the benefit. Well, more importantly, the trigger time seems confusing (it is well defined, but it's still a head scratcher). Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it.

Torch says "your choice", indicating that the person who plays it decides whether the discard happens.  However, the biggest issue is "6 or more cards".  In most games, other players are only going to have 5 cards in their hand when you play this, meaning that most of the time they'll be immune to the attack
They/them

arowdok

• Spy
  • Respect: +129
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 12:56:11 pm »
+3

This is a split pile with 3 copies of each card in ascending cost order or 2 copies of each if your playing 2 player.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 03:00:27 pm »

Sneak
+2 Cards
____

Torch
Worth $1

Torch says "your choice", indicating that the person who plays it decides whether the discard happens.  However, the biggest issue is "6 or more cards".  In most games, other players are only going to have 5 cards in their hand when you play this, meaning that most of the time they'll be immune to the attack

Okay, I missed that Torch would increase the likelihood of your opponent having 6 cards, but even then it's still a weak interaction.  It's dependent on your opponent having Sneak in hand and choosing to play it when you have Torch.  In multiplayer, the most sensible option would be to play it at the start of the person to your right's turn, so that even when the attack does work, it would rarely hit more than one person

I'd suggest turning Sneak into a Night-Duration card "+1 Card at the end of this turn. +1 Action at the start of your next turn".  That's only two types, but the heirloom still has three types. The contest rules don't specify whether in cases like heirlooms and split piles all cards have to have three types or just at least one, so I don't know if that version would qualify. Or, alternately, use Minion's attack and make it "5 or more cards", so that you're not dependent on your opponent playing Torch and leaving Sneak unchanged
They/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 04:29:31 pm »
+1

Greedy Blacksmith
$4
Action - Duration - Attack
Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a Silver or Gold, it makes $1. At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

It would need a ShuffleIT auto play, "Play all treasures plays Silver before Gold."

Unjer

• Pawn
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 06:53:11 pm »
+3

A simple attack with a delayed Artisan and a Contraband effect.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 07:03:26 pm »
+1

Altruist • $5 • Action - Duration - Night
If it's your Action phase, +1 Buy.

Until the end of your next turn, when you buy a card, gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it.

Haggler that can let you get the province-duchy combo. Non-terminal if you want the effect next turn only.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 07:50:56 pm »

Until the end of your next turn, when you buy a card, gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it.

Haggler that can let you get the province-duchy combo. Non-terminal if you want the effect next turn only.

How did you get the left-right split effect?
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 08:26:08 pm »

Crown Prince
Night - Duration - Reaction
$5
Set aside an Action card from your hand (on this). At the start of your next turn, play that card twice.
-
When you gain an Action card, you may discard this to set that card aside, playing it at the start of your next turn.

The on-play effect is essentially a delayed throne room, played at Night, and thus non-terminal.  Useful if you run out of Actions, or if you have an Action card that wouldn't do much good this turn. The reaction is a weaker form for a gained Action card. Most commonly it would be used with cards you buy, or that you gain in other ways during your turn, but the reaction can also apply if you gain an Action card on someone else's turn, such as your opponent buying Bargain, or gaining an Action card from your opponent's play of Swindler

I went through several different versions, using different reactions, until I settled on this one. One version was "When you gain an Action card other than during your Action phase, you may reveal this to put that card into your hand.", which would allow you to use the on-play effect right away if gained during your Buy or Night phase, and would've comboed really nicely with Villa or Cavalry's ability to return you to your Action phase, letting you play newly-bought Action cards right away.  But, that seemed way too strong.  I also tried out "When you gain an Action card on your turn, you may discard this to play that card immediately.", but it felt inconsistent to have the reaction let you play the card immediately, while the on-play effect was delayed till the next turn, and also doesn't work as well for Actions gained outside of your Action phase, especially Night-gained cards

Sleigh would make a nice combo with this. Use Sleigh's reaction to put a card you bought into your hand, then Crown Prince it.  Especially nice with expensive Action cards like King's Court or Hunting Grounds

I'm really not sure of the price.  The above-the-line part by itself would probably be fair at $3.  Throne Room is $4, and this is delayed, so by the same logic of Mastermind being cheaper than King's Court, it should probably be cheaper.  The reaction makes it stronger though, since you get to play a new Action card on the very next turn.  Topdecking cards already allow you to do that, but this allows you to do it non-terminally and without taking up a slot in the hand - similar to topdecking + playing Ghost Town.  Is $4 enough, or should it be bumped up to $5?

EDIT: Changed to $5, the reaction makes it too strong, I think, to cost $4
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:10:07 pm by mxdata »
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2021, 08:44:56 pm »
+1

How did you get the left-right split effect?

gradient mask in photoshop for the gradient blend (more or less how the shuffleit client does it when you have mill + capitalism in the same game); i cut/pasted the night coloration text.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 10:00:20 pm »

Ah, sorry, I didn't catch those words. I suggest getting rid of "may" then; it sounded like it was the other players' choice. Or maybe something like, "You may have any players (including you) with 6 or more cards in hand discard their hand and draw 4 cards. Just throwing something out there.

[Strongholds]

Just some more wording nitpicks:
You don't need to say the "but not less than ⓪" parenthetical anymore. New printings got rid of that, and it's just an established rule.
I'd also just say "You may play a Stronghold from your hand." Yes this means that some Castles, Mill, and Nobles, and Distant Lands, and Inheritance Estates and maybe some others I'm missing can't be played, but I prefer the simpler wording. If you really want those to work together with Strongholds, then that's your judgment, and that's fine.
Also since I've typed this much already, you've got "an Estate" spelled wrong in Stately Stronghold.
I like the Castley feel! I have no idea how strong this pile is, but my instinct tells me it's decently sweet. They actually do sorta useful things, and they chain with each other.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2021, 01:02:47 am »

Sneak
+2 Cards
____

Torch
Worth $1

However, the biggest issue is "6 or more cards".  In most games, other players are only going to have 5 cards in their hand when you play this, meaning that most of the time they'll be immune to the attack

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the premise of Sneak is that you can play it non terminally at the start of other players turns, but it puts you at risk from discard attacks including Torch (and every player has a Torch).

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2021, 04:07:52 am »

Sneak
+2 Cards
____

Torch
Worth $1

However, the biggest issue is "6 or more cards".  In most games, other players are only going to have 5 cards in their hand when you play this, meaning that most of the time they'll be immune to the attack

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but the premise of Sneak is that you can play it non terminally at the start of other players turns, but it puts you at risk from discard attacks including Torch (and every player has a Torch).

Yeah, I got that, I mentioned that in my second reply.  But I still feel like it's a rather weird, and weak, attack.  It's an attack that, in most games, will *only* apply to players who used Sneak.  And in multiplayer that will usually only apply to one person, because you can play Sneak at the start of any player's turn, the sensible thing to do, if you're going to use the reaction, would be to play it on the person immediately before you's turn, to minimize the risk of being hit by Torch's attack.  And if no one buys Sneak, then in most games, the attack will never actually apply
They/them
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.