Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat  (Read 9055 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Re: Weekly Design Contest 119: Triple Threat
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2021, 05:43:56 pm »
+2

Bit of a risky submission for this week, but sure, why not! I am not one to usually design cards costing . I always have trouble balancing stuff up there. Hopefully, Field can stand tall and proud at that cost.

It's payload for sure. But, wait, bonus! It also makes your next hand size 2 cards bigger. People be lovin' Duration draw. Except here, if you fatten your deck with Duchies (and Fields too if you're really into that), you might start to get a tad disgruntled about what you'll have to discard.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:23:24 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2021, 02:24:06 am »
+1

Drawbridge (Action-Attack-Reaction, $5)

+1 Buy
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
———
When a player trashes a card, you may play this from your hand.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2021, 11:44:15 am »

An throne room you can play during your night phase in case you draw it dead. And at the beginning of your next turn, you get a bit of reliability!

edit: Modified it so now its a Throne room you can play now, or if you draw it it dead, and then choose if you want the Throne roomed effect at the start of next turn.

Update. i couldnt figure out a good color scheme for it in Card image generator so i did it like this
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2021, 08:20:40 pm »

Pillow
Treasure - Night - Reserve - $5
If it's Night phase, put this
on your Tavern mat. Otherwise,
$2
-
At start of your Buy phase,
you may call this to play it.

I like the concept, but hard to balance cost and effect.

How about an Action/Night/Reserve that gives +$3 (so either a terminal gold, or a delayed gold) for $5
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:21:53 pm by NoMoreFun »

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2021, 10:26:58 pm »
+2

Hey everyone, nice to see all of your card designs!  ;D I’m a little bit late on posting this but:

This is the 24 hour submission warning! Get all your stuff submitted here before Thursday July 1st at 10 PM EST!
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

exfret

• Thief
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2021, 06:02:22 am »

Not really. Many Action cards are pointless or borderline pointless in the Night phase.
KC is so brilliant because it converts even a lousy Pearl Diver into a Lost City plus village. So cantrips are what you often wanna Throne and Dark Carriage doesn’t do any tricks with cantrips.

Dark Carriage is also an Action card. You can still Throne a Pearl Diver in your Action phase, and have a Hireling + Village effect at the start of  your next turn.
I did not see that. Then the card is obviously overpowered as it is far better than Mastermind.

EDIT: Sorry, I was going off a different version that didn't effectively play a card four times... this is bonkers

How is it far better? It can't chain itself and only acts twice...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:03:27 am by exfret »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2021, 12:49:42 pm »
+2

There are plenty of cards that would be useful when gained outside your Action phase.  Attack cards, for example, and Gainers.  And draw would be very useful too.  Use this to gain a Smithy or Hunting Grounds on another player's turn, and you've got a free +3 cards or +4 cards without having to use an Action!

Of course. One of the great things about Dominion is the way that different cards interact. When you use Ironworks to gain a Mill it's gaining cantrip, which is awesome; it can still be very useful gaining other cards as well, but it is less potent in doing so. Doppelgänger is similar. If you are going to Doppelgänger a Sea Hag, the on-gain works equally well whenever you do it (perhaps best on your opponent's turn, since they are about to draw the Curse). A Witch's attack works any time, and it's +Cards is good at the reaction or during your turn (although, like the card itself, a terminal draw), the +Cards are generally wasted during your Night phase. Most other vanilla bonuses are useless during your Night phase or opponent's turn.

I would note that to the extent playing it as a reaction or during your Night phase does allow you to play it without using an Action, this benefit is essentially a one-shot effect. You can Doppelgänger your opponent's Smithy and still have an Action to use those cards on your turn, but the Smithy you get to your deck is still a terminal card going forward.

The reaction trigger, though, seems like it would potentially slow the game down, since you'd be able to respond to *every* Action played.  Perhaps make it instead "at the start of another player's Buy phase"?

This is a very good point, especially in the context of online games. It would not only have to pause for a reaction when someone had a Doppelgänger, but even if they might have a Doppelgänger, so as not to tip off another player when they have it. The suggestion of doing it at the start of a phase is a good one. However, thinking about this further, I think that (in online games) pausing at the start of the Buy phase would disrupt the other player's turn as well. Your Action phase usually transitions pretty seamlessly into your Buy phase, so I think it would actually work better at the start of the other player's Night phase (which also works thematically).

As a result I updated the card to this (change will also be made in the original post):

Thanks you, mxdata, for your feedback.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2021, 04:58:55 pm »
+3

Evanescence
$5 - Treasure-Duration-Victory
$3, +1 Buy
At the start of your next turn $2, return this to its pile.

2VP

A card that has a sweet spot for buying and using (right before the game ends), but still can have some use otherwise.

Not sure if this is too expensive for a single-use (double if you count the duration)... or if it's a bit weak and needs a buff. But I like the idea. It's just a matter of fine tuning.
he/him

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2021, 05:31:12 pm »

Evanescence
$5 - Treasure-Duration-Victory
$3, +1 Buy

2VP

A card that has a sweet spot for buying and using (right before the game ends), but still can have some use otherwise.

Not sure if this is too expensive for a single-use (double if you count the duration)... or if it's a bit weak and needs a buff. But I like the idea. It's just a matter of fine tuning.

Would make a nice combo with Crypt or Herbalist.  You'd still get the $2 on the second turn without returning it to its pile
They/them

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2021, 10:09:49 pm »
+3

Hey everyone, submissions are now officially closed! Results will be posted in about 24 hours.
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2021, 11:07:47 pm »
+4

I went back and triple checked all the submissions to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have 19 total submissions! My thoughts on each are below (apologies to my awful formatting, still new to the forum lol):

Doom_Shark, entry: Extortionist
Action-Attack-Reserve ($5)
+$2
+1 Buy
Each other player gains a Curse to their hand. Put this on your Tavern mat.
When another player gains a card costing [$4] or more, you may call this to gain a Gold.

This seems okay strength-wise, slower than Soothsayer but provides extra benefits and has no opponent card draw drawback.
The call trigger seems like it may be tedious, as there can be many gains in a turn.
It also works poorly with cost reduction, but I think this is probably fine as you'll usually get enough curses out by the time your opponents start to stockpile many cost reduction cards.

kru5h, entry: Caltrops
Action-Attack-Duration ($4)
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards. Until then whenever another player plays a duplicate of a card they have in play, they take a Jinx token.
Jinx Tokens
Whenever you have 6 or more Jinx tokens, you return 6 and gain a Curse.

My first impression is that this is a very unique way of cursing opponents, which I like.
However it seems on the weak side. A main strength of $4 cursers is their ability to be obtained early on and start slowing opponents’ turns almost immediately. This card will frequently take 2-3 plays to distribute a Curse (which is 4-6 turns since it is a Duration). Perhaps adjusting the rate of Jinx tokens to Curses could help speed things up?

exfret, entry: Monocle
Action-Treasure-Night ($3)
If it is your
Action Phase: +1 Card, +1 Action
Buy Phase: +$1, +1 Buy
Night Phase: Trash a card from your hand.

This seems reasonably good strength wise, since it is a non-terminal trasher that can later be cycled through or used as a source of +Buy
It is a little on the plain side though, as it uses mostly vanilla effects.

Aquila, entry: Warden
Action Duration Reaction ($5)
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards, then put a card from your hand onto your deck.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.

I like this one!
It seems appropriate at $5 as the on-play is basically a Caravan with some extra sifting
The Reaction allows you to set up targets for trashing attacks, which can have some great synergies. Good counter to handsize attacks as well.

faust, entry: Legate
Action/Command/Gathering ($4)

If there are less than 3VP on the Legate pile, add 1VP to the Legate pile and play a non-Command Action from the supply, leaving it there.
-
When you gain this, take the VP from the Legate pile.

This seems quite strong early on, as it can play powerful attacks or help spike purchase points (depending on what's in the Supply)
I like the risk/reward feel this card gives me, it can be strong early but runs the risk of clogging up your deck later on when there are no more Legates left to gain!

NoMoreFun, entry: Sneak
Action/Duration/Reaction - $4
+2 Cards
At the start of your next turn, +1 Action
____
At the start of any Buy phase, if the current player has one or fewer cards in play, you may play this from your hand.

This seems ok strength-wise, this looks like a variation on Caravan that gives you the cards now and the Action later.
The Reaction seems good for early game, but by the time players get multiple Actions out per turn it seems too difficult to make use of (this is exemplified with Duration cards such as Sneak itself).

arowdok, entry: Strongholds
Strongholds
(all Action - Victory - Stronghold)

($3) Settlers Stronghold: This turn, cards (everywhere) cost $1 less. You may play an Action-Victory card from your hand.
--
1 VP

($5) Secluded Stronghold: +3 Cards. Put a card from your hand onto your deck. You may play an Action-Victory card from your hand.
--
2 VP

($7) Splendid Stronghold: +$3. Discard the top card of your deck. If it’s an Action card you may play it, if it’s a Victory card +1 VP. You may play an Action-Victory card from your hand.
--
3 VP

($9) Stately Stronghold: Trash an Estate from the Supply. If you do, +2 VP. You may play an Action-Victory card from your hand.
--
Worth 1 VP per Stronghold you have

A Castles variation! Cool!
Overall these seem to be fairly strong, and they work very well with each other as well (similarly to Castles). Their ability to play each other is nice, and Secluded + Splendid make a nice synergy as well.
Stately Stronghold seems like it may be on the weak side in 2 player games, as there will be less Strongholds available to boost its score.

JW, entry: Greedy Blacksmith
Action - Duration - Attack ($4)
Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a Silver or Gold, it makes $1. At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.

It seems pretty good strength-wise, with an engine that plays one of these a turn you are (usually) permanently hurting your opponents’ buying power by $1 or even $2.
It seems like it can be swingy early game, but probably not any more so than Militia is, so that doesn’t bother me too much.

Unjer, entry: Tycoon
Action - Attack - Duration ($6)
Gain a card costing up to $5. Set it aside face up (on this). At the start of your next turn, put it into your hand. Until then, other players cannot buy copies of the set aside card.

This seems a little too strong to me, as this can lock everyone else out of being able to buy Provinces with the right support. Definitely would want a “non-Victory” clause on this card.
Other than that I think it’s fine, as it does not block all gains of the set aside card, which allows for quite a couple of other cards (remodelers, workshops, etc) to counter it.

spineflu, entry: Altruist
Action - Duration - Night ($5)
If it's your Action phase, +1 Buy.
Until the end of your next turn, when you buy a card, gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it

Wow! A now and next turn (or non-terminal next turn) spin on Haggler!
This seems very strong, but I don’t think it compares too favourably to Haggler, particularly in how it is unable to gain several actions when buying a Treasure or Victory card.
The +Buy feels very appropriate for extra gains and not tacked on as a side bonus (we’ve all been there, myself included :P )

mxdata, entry: Crown Prince
Night - Duration - Reaction ($5)
Set aside an Action card from your hand (on this). At the start of your next turn, play that card twice.
-
When you gain an Action card, you may discard this to set that card aside, playing it at the start of your next turn.

This seems quite good, especially for setting up megaturns with stuff like Bridge or Inventor. I'm also already a fan of Ghost so I definitely like the looks of this card.
I do think the adjustment of the price to $5 was a good choice, the reaction makes this card very flexible in what it can do.

grep, entry: Pillow
Treasure - Night - Reserve - $5
If it's your Night phase, put this
on your Tavern mat. Otherwise,
$2
-
At start of your Buy phase,
you may call this to play it.

This feels quite weak for $5, being able to save a Silver for later might occasionally be useful, but with it being a Reserve it is susceptible to miss shuffles.
I think this could benefit from some sort of on gain bonus (like Spices for instance). Adding +Buy could also make it useful sometimes, but feels like more of a tacky fix.

MochaMoko, entry: Barrows
⑤ Action - Duration - Victory
At the start of each of your
Buy phases for the rest of the game, set aside a card from your hand face up (on this).
(This stays in play.)
-
Worth 2 VP per Action card set aside by this at the end of the game.

This seems like a very good, efficient “trasher” with some better late game utility.
I think $5 is okay, it does favour 5/2 splits but when compared to something like Sentry I don’t think this is any worse for that. The VP portion makes for a nice counter to Looters and a great synergy with Horse gainers.

4est, entry: Stowaway
Night - Attack - Duration ($3)
Set aside up to 3 cards from your hand face up (on this). Each other player gains a copy of one that you choose.
At the start of your next turn, put the set aside cards into your hand.

This looks pretty strong, definitely has some use later on for ensuring reliability when you have overdraw. Also good for spiking early price points like Church.
Junking portion of this seems a little on the slow side, as it only junks 1 card every other turn, but unlike cursers it will have a larger supply of junk to distribute.

emtzalex, entry: DOPPELGÄNGER
ACTION - NIGHT - REACTION ($4)
Trash this. If you did, gain a copy of any Action card in play. You may set the gained card aside. If you did, play it.
At the start of each other player's Night phase, you may play this from your hand.

This looks quite strong, but I don’t think it’s too favourable in comparison to Changeling, since this can only gain Actions.
The reaction feels sorta like a lucky bonus if you manage to draw one in your starting hand, but I like it, as it can prevent this stop card from slowing down your turn if it is in your starting hand.

fika monster, entry: Dark Carriage
Action - Night - Duration ($5)
You may set aside a non-Duration Action card face-up. If you did, then either now or at the start of your next turn, play it twice.

This feels a little on the weak side. It can’t play itself like other Thrones can, and it can still be a dead card when drawn without any other Actions.
It does seem good for setting up reliable next turns, but $5 still feels high to me.

X-tra, entry: Field
Action - Duration - Victory ($7)
Gain a Duchy. At the start of your next turn +4 Cards, then discard 2 non-Victory cards (or reveal you can’t).
--
2 VP

This looks fairly weak to me. Because it’s a Duration, it’ll gain a Duchy every other turn at best.
The draw/sifting for the next turn seems pretty good in games with weak or no trashing. However late in the game you risk having to discard some strong Actions if you have trashed all your junk.
There are some interesting ideas in this card, but $7 is too much for what it does.

mandioca, entry: Drawbridge
(Action-Attack-Reaction, $5)
+1 Buy
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
———
When a player trashes a card, you may play this from your hand.

The top section is pretty good but feels pretty similar to what Margrave does. The reaction also makes trashing your starting cards too much of a risk (I mildly dislike Goatherd for a similar reason). This is exemplified when using something like Apprentice to draw.
I think this card would be a lot nicer if the reaction was only based upon trashes that you do. This would give it a strong synergy with many trashers, instead of being conflicted with them.

mathdude, entry: Evanescence
Treasure-Duration-Victory ($5)
$3, +1 Buy
2VP

This seems very weak to me. Stockpile is $3 and provides the same benefit this does on the first turn, and is Exiled, allowing you to get it back later a few times.
The VP also seems redundant most of the time, as this will almost always be returned by the game is over.
Interesting concept, but too expensive in its current form.

AJL828

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2021, 11:12:05 pm »
+2

With that all said and done, here are the results!

Winner:
Altruist by spineflu

Runner-ups
Warden by Aquila
Crown Prince by mxdata
Doppelgänger by emtzalex

Thanks again to everyone for submitting, this was a really fun contest to host!  ;D

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2021, 12:39:04 am »
+2

wild, i'd thought Aquila was a sure-in this week. thanks for the win!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2021, 01:02:40 pm »
+2

X-tra, entry: Field
Action - Duration - Victory ($7)
Gain a Duchy. At the start of your next turn +4 Cards, then discard 2 non-Victory cards (or reveal you can’t).
--
2 VP

This looks fairly weak to me. Because it’s a Duration, it’ll gain a Duchy every other turn at best.
The draw/sifting for the next turn seems pretty good in games with weak or no trashing. However late in the game you risk having to discard some strong Actions if you have trashed all your junk.
There are some interesting ideas in this card, but $7 is too much for what it does.

Thank you for your comments! I truly was unsure about where Field stood power level-wise, so I actually did went ahead and tested a couple of games with it since the time I posted it. I actually thought it played quite nicely. It being priced at made for a cool milestone to reach for, and the extra it wound up giving definitely was not inconsequential.

You've got the right idea when you say that a Duchy can only be gained every other turn with Field, due to its Duration aspect. That was actually the idea, hehehe! And it costing was also tied to that one goal: To make the Duchy pile not run out too quickly. I tried to put these soft limits by design. Let us remember that the Duchy gaining is mandatory, it isn't like Count where its Duchy gaining aspect is conditional (and mostly used later in the game, too).

As for it's relative strength to its cost, let's compare it to Nobles or Harem. Since they all yield a flat 2, let's just focus on the top. Now, is gaining a Duchy with Duration draw and some sifting stronger than Nobles' half Village/Smithy? I'd like to believe so. Since I believe Field is stronger than those other cards giving 2, and paired with my desire to better control the flow of the Duchy pile, I believe was not that wild of a cost.

Still, as I said before, thank you for the comments and the masterful judging! :D
Bottom text
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.