Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Discarding multiple cards - a definitive ruling?  (Read 859 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Discarding multiple cards - a definitive ruling?
« on: June 21, 2021, 07:52:34 am »

I'm 99% sure this has been answered somewhere already, but I can't find it in the rules, in the wiki, or indeed via Google. So apologies...

What, precisely happens when you discard more than one card? There are two rulings I can see which pertain, both in the base rules:
  • "If you discard multiple cards at once, you do not need to reveal them all, just the one you put on top."
  • Cellar: "discard them all at once"
I guess my first question is: does that "discard them all at once" apply by default to any effect that discards multiple cards, even though I can only see it stated explicitly for Cellar?

The second question is: does that mean all the cards have been discarded before any of the effects are applied? For example:
  • You've drawn your deck (deck and discard pile are empty)
  • You play Cellar
  • You choose to discard Tunnel, Curse, Curse
  • You react to the gained Gold by playing Sheepdog
Is it possible to gain the Gold and play Sheepdog while only Tunnel,Gold are in your discard pile, before you've put the Curses there, or is it unavoidable that the Curses will also have landed in your discard pile?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Discarding multiple cards - a definitive ruling?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 12:14:02 pm »
+1

I guess my first question is: does that "discard them all at once" apply by default to any effect that discards multiple cards, even though I can only see it stated explicitly for Cellar?
Yes.

The second question is: does that mean all the cards have been discarded before any of the effects are applied? For example:
  • You've drawn your deck (deck and discard pile are empty)
  • You play Cellar
  • You choose to discard Tunnel, Curse, Curse
  • You react to the gained Gold by playing Sheepdog
Is it possible to gain the Gold and play Sheepdog while only Tunnel,Gold are in your discard pile, before you've put the Curses there, or is it unavoidable that the Curses will also have landed in your discard pile?
You discard Tunnel and 2 Curses to Cellar. You react with Tunnel and gain Gold; you react with Sheepdog, shuffle, and potentially draw the Curses and Tunnel and Gold.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Re: Discarding multiple cards - a definitive ruling?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 06:18:36 am »

I'm 99% sure this has been answered somewhere already, but I can't find it in the rules, in the wiki, or indeed via Google. So apologies...

For the record, these questions are answered in my rules document: "Discarding cards" page 18 and "When-discard abilities" page 21.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.