Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 13: Et Factum Est Ita  (Read 14067 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 13: Et Factum Est Ita
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2021, 12:41:42 pm »

Apologies for the radio silence.  I was hoping to get to judging last Thursday but have been bogged down with other commitments.  I’m fine with having winner decided by popular opinion, otherwise judging will have to wait until the weekend.

I would prefer a judgement sooner: I'm a bit tired of waiting
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2021, 12:51:29 pm »
+5

Apologies for the radio silence.  I was hoping to get to judging last Thursday but have been bogged down with other commitments.  I’m fine with having winner decided by popular opinion, otherwise judging will have to wait until the weekend.

I could do a "short form" judgment tonight  - just announce winner and runners up without commentary on all the submissions.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2021, 12:56:40 pm »
+2

I could do a "short form" judgment tonight  - just announce winner and runners up without commentary on all the submissions.

I think this is the best solution.  Just add some comments this weekend.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2021, 01:01:49 pm »
+1

This is perfectly reasonable.
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2021, 02:52:47 pm »

I think this is the best solution.  Just add some comments this weekend.

I concur.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2021, 02:54:28 pm »
+3

I think in the future, if something like this comes up, the runner up from the previous week should take over as judge. I'm not such a fan of doing it by popular vote bc there might be some bias.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2021, 03:14:07 pm »
+2

I think in the future, if something like this comes up, the runner up from the previous week should take over as judge. I'm not such a fan of doing it by popular vote bc there might be some bias.

yes, this, correct. all a +1 from me means is it made a good first impression, not anything about balance. Respect voting, because of how easily it can be biased, manipulated, and isn't a direct correlation to quality, should be a last resort.

I know with the WDC we've had contests go 2 week with no judgment, especially around holidays - we should keep that in mind and not harrass the judges for being less logged on than us.

edit: happy 1000th post to me
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:38:35 pm by spineflu »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2021, 04:48:40 pm »

oh yeah thaats a good idea

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2021, 04:50:10 pm »

yes, this, correct. all a +1 from me means is it made a good first impression, not anything about balance. Respect voting, because of how easily it can be biased, manipulated, and isn't a direct correlation to quality, should be a last resort.

I know with the WDC we've had contests go 2 week with no judgment, especially around holidays - we should keep that in mind and not harrass the judges for being less logged on than us.

edit: happy 1000th post to me

wait did i harass the judge? if so, that wasnt intentionall

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2021, 06:00:04 pm »
+2

One problem with that, though, is that the runner up from the previous week could have a submission to the current contest. I don't think it's a great idea to have a contestant also be judging.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2021, 11:04:33 pm »
+1

One problem with that, though, is that the runner up from the previous week could have a submission to the current contest. I don't think it's a great idea to have a contestant also be judging.

Obviously he/she wouldn't give feedback on their own card, and wouldn't count it in the winners and runners up. Not perfect, but I think it's better than voting. At least this way we get feedback. With voting you have all the problems that come with voting (spoilers, strategic voting, etc.) and you have people in the running having an impact (through their vote) on who wins.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2021, 03:24:58 am »
+4

Sorry once again for the delay in judging. 

Thank you all for your patience and your submissions.  I am posting the winner/runners-up below along with my comments, but I will try to provide feedback on the remaining submissions this weekend or sometime next week.

WINNER:
mxdata's Patrimony
I think this a cool concept which looks like it could offer some interesting variety.  It could be fairly game-warping in some cases (e.g. having a Chapel in your starting deck), although we already have some precedent for this (albeit uncommon) with Way of the Mouse + Shelter boards. Patrimony shakes up the opening not only by virtue of having one less Copper in your deck, but also the possible price points you could hit, and also the possibility of playing a card you gained on turn 1 during turn 2.  Patrimony looks fun, but one concern I have is that it could make openings less balanced in some cases.  For example, on a Patrimony board with Shanty Town replacing a starting Copper, it is possible that Player 1 has a 5/1 open and buys a Margrave on turn 1, and then on turn 2 is able to play the Shanty Town, and then find and play their Margrave.

Runners-up:
emtzalex's Progress
The impact will be fairly subtle on most boards, but I think it still brings a nice twist to the game.  Because buying Treasures will also help you thin your deck, Progress probably facilitates a Big Money strategy (although not to the extent that it would necessarily beat a good engine).  Your Estates become like Hovels, so it might encourage earlier greening especially if good Estate trashers aren't available in the Kingdom.  One minor drawback is that this weakens any junkers that give out Ruins, since getting rid of them becomes fairly trivial.  Could this have been a Project?  Perhaps, but given that the effect is not particularly strong, I think this works better as an Edict.       

DunnoItAll's Recycling
I'm always intrigued by new ways to thin your deck.  In this case, I like that you can use extra Buys to trash cards.  I think a version without a once-per-turn limitation would have been more exciting, although that might be too fast in some cases (for instance, you could get thin quite quickly with a few Silk Merchants or Market Squares in your deck).  While the effect may not be earth shattering, I think Recycling will still create some interesting decisions during your Buy phase.  The main limitation is that it will have very limited utility in Kingdoms without +Buy.

Honorable mentions:
Freddy10's Abundance
Starting with an extra Copper and Estate in your deck, and playing with a default hand size of 6 is a neat idea for an Edict.  I'm definitely curious to try this out.  It shakes up the opening, but will also tend to accelerate games.  My main concern would be that since a lot of existing cards are designed around a default hand size of 5, Abundance might throw off the balance of certain cards.  For example,  Ghost Ship becomes arguably stronger, draw-to-X somewhat weaker, activating Menageries and Diplomats becomes harder, etc.

fikamonster's Tribulations
I like the idea of making Curses more useful for your deck but making them "untrashable".  The original version was too harsh; the balance on the revised version is much better.  Tribulations won't have much relevance in most games without Cursers; however, I think it would be interesting to see what players do if Curses are the only village in a Kingdom.

Congrats, mxdata!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:00:22 am by Timinou »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2021, 12:59:28 pm »
+2

Thank you all for your patience and your submissions.  I am posting the winner/runners-up below along with my comments, but I will try to provide feedback on the remaining submissions this weekend or sometime next week.
Runners-up:
emtzalex's Progress
The impact will be fairly subtle on most boards, but I think it still brings a nice twist to the game.  Because buying Treasures will also help you thin your deck, Progress probably facilitates a Big Money strategy (although not to the extent that it would necessarily beat a good engine).  Your Estates become like Hovels, so it might encourage earlier greening especially if good Estate trashers aren't available in the Kingdom.  One minor drawback is that this weakens any junkers that give out Ruins, since getting rid of them becomes fairly trivial.  Could this have been a Project?  Perhaps, but given that the effect is not particularly strong, I think this works better as an Edict.       

Thanks, Timinou, for the judging, the feedback, and liking my Edict enough to give it the runner-up spot. Judging these can be a ton of work, and I very much understand life getting in the way.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2021, 02:45:30 pm »
+2

WINNER:
mxdata's Patrimony
I think this a cool concept which looks like it could offer some interesting variety.  It could be fairly game-warping in some cases (e.g. having a Chapel in your starting deck), although we already have some precedent for this (albeit uncommon) with Way of the Mouse + Shelter boards. Patrimony shakes up the opening not only by virtue of having one less Copper in your deck, but also the possible price points you could hit, and also the possibility of playing a card you gained on turn 1 during turn 2.  Patrimony looks fun, but one concern I have is that it could make openings less balanced in some cases.  For example, on a Patrimony board with Shanty Town replacing a starting Copper, it is possible that Player 1 has a 5/1 open and buys a Margrave on turn 1, and then on turn 2 is able to play the Shanty Town, and then find and play their Margrave.

Runners-up:
emtzalex's Progress

DunnoItAll's Recycling
I'm always intrigued by new ways to thin your deck.  In this case, I like that you can use extra Buys to trash cards.  I think a version without a once-per-turn limitation would have been more exciting, although that might be too fast in some cases (for instance, you could get thin quite quickly with a few Silk Merchants or Market Squares in your deck).  While the effect may not be earth shattering, I think Recycling will still create some interesting decisions during your Buy phase.  The main limitation is that it will have very limited utility in Kingdoms without +Buy.

Honorable mentions:
Freddy10's Abundance
Starting with an extra Copper and Estate in your deck, and playing with a default hand size of 6 is a neat idea for an Edict.  I'm definitely curious to try this out.  It shakes up the opening, but will also tend to accelerate games.  My main concern would be that since a lot of existing cards are designed around a default hand size of 5, Abundance might throw off the balance of certain cards.  For example,  Ghost Ship becomes arguably stronger, draw-to-X somewhat weaker, activating Menageries and Diplomats becomes harder, etc.

fikamonster's Tribulations
I like the idea of making Curses more useful for your deck but making them "untrashable".  The original version was too harsh; the balance on the revised version is much better.  Tribulations won't have much relevance in most games without Cursers; however, I think it would be interesting to see what players do if Curses are the only village in a Kingdom.

Congrats, mxdata!

Woah, awesome!  Thanks!  :D  I'll post the next challenge in the next couple of days once I decide what to do!
They/them

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2021, 06:08:07 pm »

Obviously he/she wouldn't give feedback on their own card, and wouldn't count it in the winners and runners up. Not perfect, but I think it's better than voting. At least this way we get feedback. With voting you have all the problems that come with voting (spoilers, strategic voting, etc.) and you have people in the running having an impact (through their vote) on who wins.

But then that's unfair to that person. Their card shouldn't be guaranteed to lose just because the judge was too slow.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2021, 07:16:33 pm »
+2

But then that's unfair to that person. Their card shouldn't be guaranteed to lose just because the judge was too slow.

For that very reason, I would suggest that it should actually be the previous week's judge that steps in as backup. To Gubump's point, someone might well come in as runner up several weeks in a row and never get to "host" the contest, getting to choose the contest. Losing the chance to actually win could be pretty unfair, especially if you came up with a really excellent card, and maybe even rode the confidence from your previous runner-up award to make an exceptional submission. It is entirely possible for that to be the week you win it (for example Aquila was runner-up in Week 9, before winning the contest in Week 10).

By contrast, it is probably the least unfair to ask the previous week's judge to step in and take over. That person in fact did just get the chance to host more recently than anyone else competing (the judge not able to fulfill their duties obviously would not have submitted a card to their own contest, so also would not be in the running). There has never been a Fan Mechanic winner who won two contests ago (e.g. the previous week's judge), and it has only happened half a dozen times for the WDC, mostly earlier on (Aquilla in weeks 14 and 16, Tejayes in 24 and 26, King Leon in 30 and 32, NoMoreFun in 54 and 56, and Snowyowl in 55 and 57).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:17:40 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2021, 10:41:36 pm »
+3

Inspired by the contest title, I made a few additional Edicts based on Latin phrases, most U.S. State mottos:

Quote from: Ad Astra per Aspera
AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
EDICT
Directly after you finish playing an Action card, if it's still in play, you may Exile it, for +2 Actions.

Quote from: Annuit Cœptis
ANNUIT CŒPTIS
EDICT
Duchies cost $1 more and are also Actions with "Play the one of the set-aside cards, leaving it there."

Setup: Set aside 2 unused Actions, each costing $3.

Quote from: Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
AUDENTES FORTUNA IUVAT
EDICT
When you buy an Action card, you may trash the top card of your deck.

Quote from: Esto Perpetua
ESTO PERPERUA
EDICT
When you buy an Action card, if you have a copy of it in play, +1 Villager. When you buy a Treasure card, if you have a two copies of it in play, +1 Coffers.

Quote from: Fiat Lex
FIAT LEX
EDICT
When a player plays an Attack, whatever it causes "each other player" to do, the player playing the Attack does as well.

Quote from: Labor Omnia Vincit
LABOR OMNIA VINCIT
EDICT
When you play an Action card, if you already have a copy of it in play, +$1.

Quote from: Montani Semper Liberi
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI
EDICT
Once per turn, when you would draw a card, you may instead look through your discard pile and put a card from it into your hand.

Quote from: Sic Semper Tyrannis
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
EDICT
When a player plays the same Action card more than once (using an effect that plays it two or more times), trash it.

And one that is not in Latin:

Quote from: Serfdom
SERFDOM
EDICT
When you gain a Victory card, +1 Villager per $2 it costs (round down).

he/him/his

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2021, 01:01:16 pm »

Are we going to get feedback on the other cards?

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2021, 02:36:40 am »
+2

I apologise for taking so long to get around to providing my comments on the remaining submissions.  I've unfortunately been quite busy in the past few weeks.

My thoughts are below:

kru5h - Smelting
Get +1 Buy when you play Gold.
Smelting makes Gold a lot more attractive, and by extension any gold-gainers.  I wonder if this would monolithically favor money strategies, which in my opinion, makes this less interesting.  I think this could be more interesting as a Project than an Edict.

segura - Monarchy
At the start of each turn, gain a Copper to your hand or discard a card.
This probably could have made the shortlist, but unfortunately I don't believe segura clarified if they really meant at the start of each turn, rather than at the start of your turn (or each of your turns).  As worded, I think makes the Edict quite oppressive in games with more than two players.  Even if it only applied to the active player's turn, I don't think this would be everyone's cup of tea since it could potentially turn games into slogs.  Nevertheless, I still think this would create some interesting decisions at the start of your turn. 

naitchman - Lucky Find
You may not buy a Rare Card if you do not have any Luck cards in play
-
Setup: Randomly choose a Kingdom pile for which no other Kingdom pile costs more.  Cards from that pile are Rare Cards.  Randomly choose a different Action or Treasure Kingdom pile for which no other Kingdom pile costs less.  Cards from that pile are Luck Cards"
At first glance, the small text is a bit off-putting, but I think there is an interesting idea here.  It takes a bit of extra setup at the start of games, which isn't usually a problem as long as the additional set up is worth it.  Only being able to buy Rare card if you have a Luck Card in play is intriguing.  However, the specific combination of Rare Card and Luck Card may not always lead to interesting decisions in terms of when to buy them.  For example, if the Rare Card happens to be a a fairly undesirable $5-cost card then that is much less likely to factor into your decision of whether to buy a Luck Card. My other concern is that if the Luck card isn't one that you would want to have many copies of in your deck, then it could make buying the Rare card quite undesirable (it's almost like tacking a Potion cost on the card). There is also a scenario where the Luck Card happens to be Embargo or Acting Troupe, which pretty much makes it impossible to buy the Rare card in games without Ways (although you can still gain it through workshops or remodelers).

grrgrrgrr - Other Dimension
When you'd normally get +Actions from anything other than Villagers, you get +$ instead.  When you gain a card, +1 Villager
Other Dimension looks wacky and potentially fun to try; however, I fear it may be too game-warping.  The original version that gave +Cards instead of +Actions was probably broken; the revised version that gives +$ instead of Actions is much better.  Since every Action card effectively becomes terminal (although you could argue that all gainers are non-terminal), managing terminal space becomes a different beast.  I think Kingdoms without extra gains would really fall flat with Other Dimension.  I also worry that this would throw off the balance of existing cards.  Other Dimension could work in a curated Kingdom, but I don't know if this will work well for any random Kingdom. 

mathdude - Rationing
The game does not end with 3 empty Supply piles, but with 5.
-
Setup: for each Kingdom Supply pile, use only half as many of each uniquely named card as usual (rounded up)"
Rationing introduces some rules twists, making less Kingdom cards available to players and also altering a game-end condition.  I don't think this would work well at higher player counts, but it is probably fine for 2 or 3-player games.  I'm not sure if I would enjoy games with Rationing more than normal ones.  It probably forces players to build their decks with a higher variety of cards and discourages monolithic strategies like a Minion stack, but it will often make building an effective engine harder.         

NoMoreFun - Herding
When you gain a Silver, you may exchange it for a Horse, and vice-versa
In Kingdoms without Silver-gainers or Horse-gainers, Herding would be like having Ride available as an Event, except it would now cost you $3 for a Horse instead of $2.  Herding is a lot more interesting and looks quite fun when you have Silver-gainers or Horse-gainers in the Kingdom, but unfortunately I think the majority of Kingdoms will not have either of those.  You often don't want too many Silvers in your deck, so Herding significantly buffs cards like Bureaucrat, Trader, and Jack-of-all-Trades.  Having the option to gain Silvers from your Paddocks or Sleighs for extra payload would also be nice.     

Shael - Alchemy
When you buy a card, you may overpay any number of Potion for it.  For each overpaid Potion, gain two cheaper non-Victory cards
Alchemy gives you a reason to consider buying a Potion, even if there are no Potion-cost cards in the Kingdom.  Potion is now a non-terminal Haggler variant, and I think the effect looks quite good (possibly too good) for a $4-cost Treasure.  Since you can choose whether or not to overpay with Potions, you don't have the same potential drawback as with Haggler or Talisman where you may be forced to gain cards that you don't want.  I'm not entirely sure that this needs to be an Edict rather than a separate Kingdom card.

spineflu - Urbanizing
When a card gives you +Actions, you get twice as many
Urbanizing will effectively turn any non-terminal Action card into a village.  I don't think that having an overabundance of +Actions will necessarily make games more fun, since puzzling out how to manage your terminal space is one of the things I like about Dominion.  I also have a similar concern as with Other Dimension that this could disrupt the balance of existing cards.   

Aquila - Underlords
At the start of each of your turns, you may trash a card costing $2 or less from you hand.  If you don't, gain such a card from the trash.
Underlords almost made the shortlist. It will allow players to thin their decks fairly quickly and so will tend to accelerate games.  If players don't have any junk in hand to trash, they instead must gain a cheap card (usually junk but not always) from the trash.  The decision of whether or not to trash a card from your hand will not always be automatic - for instance, if you have 5 Coppers in hand, it won't always be clear whether it is more optimal to be able to buy a $5-cost card (and be forced to gain junk) or to trash a Copper and buy a $4-cost card.  There could be some interesting interactions in some games (for example, with cost-reduction you could gain Zombies or other normally more expensive cards out of the trash).  There could be a risk of slightly exacerbating a first player advantage during the opening (for example, if player 1 has 5/2 and player 2 has 2/5), but I don't see this as a major flaw.             

The Alchemist - Asceticism
When you gain a Copper, Silver, or Gold, return it to the Supply and +1 Coffers
The concept of not being able to add non-Kingdom Treasures to your deck is an interesting one.  I think one issue, as others have pointed out, is that it could tend to prolong games especially if there aren't any Action cards in the Kingdom that give you economy.  Another issue is that if you have lots of +Buy available, I think it makes gaining Coffers fairly trivial, as you could convert all you unused Buys into Coffers.  I'm also not sure I like the fact that it nerfs gold-gainers and makes it harder to keep Encampments in your deck or to active Legionaries.  I liked the Urbanization Edict (which replaces a starting card with a Silver) better.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:09:39 pm by Timinou »

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2023, 04:33:32 am »
+2

I am sorry to reply this in 2023, but I read this thread today. And it is surprising that some many card ideas in this contest are similar to later Offical card:
Haggling(grrgrrgrr's Event version)  - Mirror
I think this works better as a $3 costing Event. "+1 Buy. The next time you buy a non-Victory card this turn, gain a copy."

Monarchy  - Gang of Pickpockets(somehow)

Patrimony - Inherited(more dramatic)

Tribulations - Charlatan(in modifying Curse)

Edit: Updated wording per emtzalex suggestion

Edit 2: People don't seem excited for this edict. so I'm turning up the volume on this: Now Every curse is a village, but they are worth -2vp instead of -1 vp.

You guys are wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 04:34:56 am by Ethan »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.