Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Week 13: Et Factum Est Ita  (Read 14069 times)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Week 13: Et Factum Est Ita
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2021, 06:05:53 pm »

After some playtesting, I have decided to alter my entry to this version:

Do you have to trash a copy to prevent the gaining?

Good call.  I will try to come up with a wording so that the answer is yes. Maybe just add "if possible" before "you may."

I would suggest:

Quote from: Recycling
Once per turn, when you buy a card, you may trash a copy of it from your hand. If you did, don't gain it.

(See Trading Post, Pillage, Secret Cave)
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2021, 07:10:48 pm »
+2

My edict: curses are now necropolises! yay!!!

... that you can't trash. boooh!

Shoutout to Unjer on the dominion discord for playtesting this with me on the TableTop Simulator mod he is making!

Edit: Updated wording per emtzalex suggestion

made an edit

People don't seem very interested in tribulations: May I ask why? feedback would be interested

Makes the whole game about whether you can survive the curse split, degenerates into a slog. Like +2 Actions is not the worst - at least you'll have plenty of actions - but I'd change them to cantrips instead, if they're stuck in your deck.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2021, 11:29:20 pm »
+1

My updated entry:

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2021, 12:46:00 am »
+4

i were looking through carlines venus fan expansion, and came acrosse her "enchantment" cards which are very similar to edicts. i cant enter stuff for her, but here is my favorite one

Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2021, 01:54:30 am »
+1

Shoutout to Unjer on the dominion discord for playtesting this with me on the TableTop Simulator mod he is making!

made an edit

People don't seem very interested in tribulations: May I ask why? feedback would be interested

Makes the whole game about whether you can survive the curse split, degenerates into a slog. Like +2 Actions is not the worst - at least you'll have plenty of actions - but I'd change them to cantrips instead, if they're stuck in your deck.

Yeah, not being able to get rid of Curses is pretty rough, and this makes it nearly impossible to (barring Exile or cards such as Ambassador or Masquerade).  +2 Actions could at least be useful if you have good terminal draw in the kingdom

The idea of making Curses work differently is a good one though!  But I agree that +2 Actions isn't really enough compensation in any kingdom with trashing.  A cantrip would be good, it would make Curses work almost like a -1 VP token (except when drawn dead of course), hurting your score with minimal junking
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2021, 10:53:27 am »

Edit 2: People don't seem excited for this edict. so I'm turning up the volume on this: Now Every curse is a village, but they are worth -2vp instead of -1 vp.

Another update. Now curses are -2vp villages you cant get rid of. idk if this is a good idea

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2021, 11:37:49 pm »
+1

Here are my two submission ideas, still deciding between them:

The first is a direct inspiration from one of Asper's original edicts, where an Estate or Shelter is replaced with a Copper. Since that does to the opening functionally the same thing as baker (without choice), I thought turning it up a notch would be more game-changing and fun. Accelerated games for an accelerating industrializing kingdom!

The second was originally all non-kingdom treasures, but I decided better not completely shut down Potion cards that way, so now you just have to reject the 3 default treasures to live a pure and holy life.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2021, 12:24:11 am »

The first is a direct inspiration from one of Asper's original edicts, where an Estate or Shelter is replaced with a Copper. Since that does to the opening functionally the same thing as baker (without choice), I thought turning it up a notch would be more game-changing and fun. Accelerated games for an accelerating industrializing kingdom!

The second was originally all non-kingdom treasures, but I decided better not completely shut down Potion cards that way, so now you just have to reject the 3 default treasures to live a pure and holy life.

Ascetism would be an amazing combo with Beggar, becoming a straight-up +3 Coffers.  However, most of the time, this seems like it would slow down the game, especially in kingdoms without any Action cards that give +coin
They/them

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2021, 09:08:47 am »
+6

Who trashes the trashers?

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2021, 08:24:25 pm »
+3

Forgot to post the 24 hour notice...

Just a reminder that the deadline will be in a few hours.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2021, 11:17:49 pm »
+2

Edit 2: People don't seem excited for this edict. so I'm turning up the volume on this: Now Every curse is a village, but they are worth -2vp instead of -1 vp.

Another update. Now curses are -2vp villages you cant get rid of. idk if this is a good idea

Am I the only one that feels like this is too complicated and punishing?  A zero-cost Village that is worth -1 VP is fine and I would buy it sometimes but not depend on it. I don't think it needs the -2 VP or the trashing clause.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2021, 12:36:21 am »

Am I the only one that feels like this is too complicated and punishing?  A zero-cost Village that is worth -1 VP is fine and I would buy it sometimes but not depend on it. I don't think it needs the -2 VP or the trashing clause.

I agree.  -2 VP makes curses just too harsh, especially when untrashable
They/them

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2021, 02:41:32 am »
+2

If I'm not too late, I'd like to alter my submission a little (to make Snowy Village and Bandit Camp less broken under this).

Also about Tribulations: I like the submission the way it is and disagree with kru5h and mxdata.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2021, 10:52:00 am »
+1

last minute edit

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2021, 10:52:20 am »

dangit, this is really good and simple: wish I thought of this!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2021, 03:15:31 pm »
+2

It is a cool idea, but I would instead make it so you just draw 6 cards for every hand.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2021, 03:56:48 pm »
+1

It is a cool idea, but I would instead make it so you just draw 6 cards for every hand.
it was the idea, but i didn't know how to write it "correctly". Rules says you draw 5 cards at the en of your Clean Up, so the first hand is an special case making this too wordly
Who trashes the trashers?

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2021, 04:47:43 pm »
+1

it was the idea, but i didn't know how to write it "correctly". Rules says you draw 5 cards at the en of your Clean Up, so the first hand is an special case making this too wordly

I had also considered the same idea, with Last Footnote's version, except I had "Each player starts with 8 Coppers and 4 Estates. When you draw a new hand, draw 6 cards".  I think "draw a new hand" should apply to turn 1 as well

EDIT: Not sure whether my version would work with Shelters and Heirlooms.  I think you could make the argument that, based on the usual principle of arranging set-ups so that all would work, you'd have no issue with Heirlooms.  Heirlooms' rule says to replace a starting Copper with the Heirloom, so you just replace one of 8 instead of one in 7, but Shelters says to replace "the starting Estates" with the Shelters, so I think a Shelters game would technically, with my wording, replace the 4 Estates with the 3 Shelters, so I think your "add a Copper and an Estate" rule works better in Shelters game - you'll clearly start with 3 Shelters and 1 Estate that way
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:49:39 pm by mxdata »
They/them

The Alchemist

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2021, 02:17:11 pm »

Ascetism would be an amazing combo with Beggar, becoming a straight-up +3 Coffers.  However, most of the time, this seems like it would slow down the game, especially in kingdoms without any Action cards that give +coin

Yes, asceticism would slow the game, but so do Attack cards, and I hope people would find trying to play the game with coffers instead of treasures would be fun in the same way (some) people find attack cards to be. The idea between the two edicts was one that sped up the game significantly, and one that slowed it down, kinda fitting to the theme of progress vs meditation.

As for my official submission, I think I will go with Asceticism, though I would like feedback from the judge on both if that's okay.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2021, 11:34:27 pm »
+3

Forgot to post the 24 hour notice...

Just a reminder that the deadline will be in a few hours.

I know things get delayed. But can you give us an update?
he/him

The Alchemist

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2021, 02:19:06 am »
+2

These are starting to be a "Bi-monthly design contest" haha, contest 12 started Jun 4th.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2021, 09:12:56 am »
+1

These are starting to be a "Bi-monthly design contest" haha, contest 12 started Jun 4th.

That feels fine to me, but maybe that would be better. Ie, just declare it a bimonthly contest

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2021, 09:17:04 am »

I think TC had forgotten his duty as judge. Considering he might have gone on vacation with the intention to not log in, I think it's best to not wait much longer. I think Freddy10 should host next week, as his Abundance entry got the highest like count.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2021, 10:04:46 am »

I think TC had forgotten his duty as judge. Considering he might have gone on vacation with the intention to not log in, I think it's best to not wait much longer. I think Freddy10 should host next week, as his Abundance entry got the highest like count.

before we just hand off the contest with No Judge Input, has anyone reached out to Timinou?

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2021, 12:30:01 pm »
+1

Apologies for the radio silence.  I was hoping to get to judging last Thursday but have been bogged down with other commitments.  I’m fine with having winner decided by popular opinion, otherwise judging will have to wait until the weekend. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.