Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special  (Read 17188 times)

AJL828

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJL828
  • Respect: +394
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2021, 10:57:47 am »
+1

(hopefully I did this right and the image shows up)

Teleport $5
Action

+1 Action. Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Then you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

(Uses the "passing cards" mechanic of Masquerade)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:45:50 am by spineflu »
Did you hear about the skyscraper with one really tall floor? I could tell you but it’s a long story…

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2021, 11:16:17 am »

(hopefully I did this right and the image shows up)

Teleport $5
Action

+1 Action. Each player with any cards in hand passes one to the next such player to their left, at once. Then you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.

(Uses the "passing cards" mechanic of Masquerade)

Welcome to the Forums!

You have to use the image address. To see how it works, have a look at my reply (clicking "quote"). Also note that I reduced the size of your image.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »
+1

Smithing Camp - 4 Debt
Action - Night
+2 Actions
Discard your hand. Gain to your hand a card costing less in coins than the number of cards discarded. If you gain a Victory card, trash this.

I am not sure if the wording on the gain effect is appropriate with the use of the term "in coins"?

I would suggest: "Gain a card to your hand costing less than $1 per card discarded." (See Artificer).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2021, 03:26:22 pm »

Unique like Jester, in that it can junk your opponents with varying cards depending on what they already have in their deck and discard to it. (At least it was the only officical card that can do it. If I am wrong, please tell me.)

I hope this makes for interesting decisions, especially for your opponent(s).

PS: If you play with more than 2 players and think it matters, the order is as follows: The players discard in play order starting with the player to your left, and then you choose whether they gain copies or not.

I am not sure whether the decisions of the opponents will be interesting. Early on I guess, opponents discard Estates or Coppers instead of their precious Action cards. Late in a game they discard Duchies and Provinces. In between depends largely on the trashing abilities provided by the Kingdom. Without trashing, I would try to green early to have something to discard. With good trashing, I would likely precede as usual and discard junk.

What would this make more interesting is when the opponents can draw a card after they discard one. This would encourage them to discard a mediocre card by having the prospective to draw a better one. Victory card with a high VP value would be still an issue I guess, but that could be addressed as well (e.g. they gain a Curse akin to Jester). The - discard then draw a card - mechanic could also mean that a restriction of 5 or more cards in hand is not necessary. One has to evaluate whether it would be too harsh when a second Raven is played or with other hand-size attacks like Militia on board.

I am not exactly sure what makes this card unique with Jester, i.e. Swindler works in a similar way.

Sorry for the late reply. I did not think about Swindler, but I'd say it is different in that Swindler typically downgrades your opponents cards. Turning a strong 5$ Action into a Duchy can be game winning. Of course, I leave it to scolapasta to judge whether Raven satisfies the conditions for this contest.

I'd say choosing whether to discard Copper or Estate is already not a trivial one (although surely not the deepest one). Also, the turns where you have a valuable VP card in hand are usually only the very last ones. And when you think about buying green earlier, just to discard it to Raven, I'd say that this is an interesting decision as well. Of course, you have the time in between, in which you actually have to decide whether to discard a Peddler (as an example) or get junked.

At least, that are my thoughts. Thanks for your comments, I always appreciate a different perspective on my cards :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:28:33 pm by Rhodos »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2021, 03:44:46 pm »
+3

Cobalt is a Treasure that uses Patron's unique reaction based on when it is revealed.  In Kingdoms without other cards that cause you to reveal other cards, it could still be useful as a Silver that gives you +1 Buy.

The reaction with Cobalt will probably be useful less often than with Patron, especially when revealing your hand; however, I think there will still be some neat interactions with this.  There will be good synergies with cards like Patrol, Envoy, Border Guard, etc.  Cobalt is also immune to certain attacks, e.g. Scrying Pool and Pirate Ship.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:01:13 am by Timinou »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2021, 04:21:17 pm »
+3

Outlaw: Action-Night, $3
+2 Cards
If it's your Action phase, you may play an Action card from your Exile mat.
Otherwise, you may Exile an Action card from your hand.

I ended up testing this (in a game with X-tra) at $3 instead of $4. It worked well at that cost, so I'm updating my entry with that cost change.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2021, 10:54:37 pm »
+3

Contest entry

Scientist | Action | $3
+2 Cards
+1 Action
If this is the first Scientist you played this turn, the player to your left names a card. You can’t buy that card this turn.
You may trash this.

My favorite player interaction is Contraband. Unfortunately, Contraband is very weak. So, I wanted to use that mechanic in a way that solves some of the major problems. Playing multiple Contrabands doesn't work at all, but Scientists really flourish when they get to all work together. Unfortunately, if you have a lot, you're guaranteed to play one each round and you won't ever be able to buy a Province. They can self-trash, but be careful, your opponent still got to name a card that round, and if you trashed them ... can you still draw your cards?  If you play it once and trash it's strictly worse than Ride, but in the early game you can work around the cards your opponent names and get multiple plays before trashing.

Scientists go well with a trash for benefit since you want to get rid of them eventually anyway. They also go well with a +buy. Hopefully you can salvage parts of the Scientists's laboratory.

scolapasta, I absolutely LOVE this contest. It was really interesting to think about previous mechanics that were underutilized and try to come up with other usages of them. I also played around with a on-buy remodeler like Farmland, and a Noble Brigandy on buy play / on buy attack.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:02:08 pm by anordinaryman »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2021, 03:18:52 pm »
+2

My submission:

Edit 3: Wording change to match other cards like "way of the squirell"

Edit 2:

uses Outposts unique "draw less next turn" effect.

Edit 2 context: After discussion on discord, I decided to buff it and and make it a 4$: You should still mostly want one or two, but now this card should be a serious caffeine boost into action hungry engines, in exchange for 1 less card next turn.

Apologies for spamming/ half submitting several cards: My idea was that people would vote out their favorite.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:54:53 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2021, 02:50:55 am »
+1

My submission:

Edit 2:

uses Outposts unique "draw less next turn" effect.

Edit 2 context: After discussion on discord, I decided to buff it and and make it a 4$: You should still mostly want one or two, but now this card should be a serious caffeine boost into action hungry engines, in exchange for 1 less card next turn.

Apologies for spamming/ half submitting several cards: My idea was that people would vote out their favorite.

Interesting decision and interesting change. It seems that this is also (more?) related to Snowy Village, i.e. +4 Actions with a drawback.

Edit: According to faust (see below), the following doesn't seem to work in the intended way: I would change the wording to "Draw 1 card less at the end of this turn". See The River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:44:09 am by gambit05 »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2021, 03:20:46 am »
+2

Interesting decision and interesting change. It seems that this is also (more?) related to Snowy Village, i.e. +4 Actions with a drawback.

I would change the wording to "Draw 1 card less at the end of this turn". See The River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel.
That doesn't really work. The new hand of 5 cards isn't drawn "at the end of this turn", it's drawn during the cleanup phase, so if Coffee House said "at the end of this turn", it wouldn't affect the draw for the next hand.

River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel both resolve after you've already drawn the 5 cards for your next hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2021, 03:41:33 am »

I would change the wording to "Draw 1 card less at the end of this turn". See The River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel.
That doesn't really work. The new hand of 5 cards isn't drawn "at the end of this turn", it's drawn during the cleanup phase, so if Coffee House said "at the end of this turn", it wouldn't affect the draw for the next hand.

River's Gift and Way of the Squirrel both resolve after you've already drawn the 5 cards for your next hand.

I thought the last phase of a turn is "at the end of the turn", which is identical with "end of Clean-up" and that "during Clean-up" is not the best way to determine the exact time. Well, I stand corrected.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2021, 05:52:27 pm »
+2

This is my submition for the contest:

Like save, it's a 1-cost event
Like miser, it's a card that use the Copper onto your tavern mat
(yes, I've put two condition on this)

(If someone have a potential illustration or an other name for the card, I take it. Don't hesitate to submit something if you have an idea)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:47:06 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2021, 11:36:50 pm »
+3

Mountain Pass - only official card that involves bidding

My Submission:

Quote from: Valley Retreat
VALLEY RETREAT
LANDMARK
Before the first turn, players bid VP, not more than 40VP, continuing until no player wants to bid lower. Lowest bidder takes 7 Debt and the VP they bid.

I'm not sure why, but this challenge was especially tough. Fortunately, I had previously created Valley Retreat, which fits the criteria, as it involves bidding. Valley Retreat was meant to be a variant (or reverse) of Mountain Pass. Instead of bidding Debt to collect a fixed number of VP tokens, players bid VP to collect a fixed amount of Debt.

I had previously created this Landmark while contemplating the question "what is your opening worth?" and thinking about how to put that question directly into the game. The answer was this Landmark. Players must decide how much VP they need to forego those two opening buys. As a point of clarification--when the bidding happens, the players not only know what is in the Kingdom and the turn order, but also what their opening hand will be. All of that information contributes to the decision of how much to bid, and may make the opening less valuable to some players than others. This (maybe) can have the effect of making the randomness of your opening position have less of an impact on the game, as the player who has it worst can trade their lousy opening away for VP.

I wanted to set the maximum bid very high so it would never be higher than a reasonable bid, but I did not want the maximum to be unlimited so that players spent an hour slowly bidding down from 1000VP. I wanted to allow players multiple bids because I did not want to advantage any players (unlike Mountain Pass, which rewards the player who buys the first Province with the final bid, no player at the start of the game has earned such a benefit). That said, I would definitely encourage house rules to streamline the bidding process.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2021, 11:54:08 pm »

Messenger is the only card still in print that lets you put your deck into your discard pile. Would that qualify as unique? Or do out of print cards (Chancellor, in this case) disqualify uniqueness? I'd assume that doesn't qualify, but I just want to make sure.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 11:55:35 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2021, 12:21:40 am »
+3

Messenger is the only card still in print that lets you put your deck into your discard pile. Would that qualify as unique? Or do out of print cards (Chancellor, in this case) disqualify uniqueness? I'd assume that doesn't qualify, but I just want to make sure.

Scavenger does this and is still in print.

(So does Trusty Steed, although it's not a Kingdom card [it's in the Prize pile] and doesn't give the plain option of doing it or not as Messenger, Chancellor, and Scavenger do; it does it as part of one of the choices. Bad Omens also puts your deck into your discard pile, but it's not optional).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:30:59 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2021, 12:51:10 am »

Man, I forgot about that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:00:43 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2021, 12:58:47 am »

Even the out-of-print cards are still official, though, so I'd assume they'd still count for uniques
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2021, 01:01:45 am »
+1

Even the out-of-print cards are still official, though, so I'd assume they'd still count for uniques

Yeah, like I said, I'd also assume that's the case, but I wanted to clarify. But since emtzalex pointed out there were other in-print cards that still shared that effect, that point is now moot.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2021, 01:08:04 am »
+2

Bad Omens is the only official card that requires you to put your deck into your discard pile. Hopefully that's different enough from optionally doing it to count as unique.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:09:54 am by Gubump »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2021, 03:31:56 am »
+2

This is my submition for the contest:

Like save, it's a 1-cost event
Like miser, it's a card that use the Copper onto your tavern mat
(yes, I've put two condition on this)

I'm sorry about the absence of art, I know it's something common here but if someone have a potential illustration or an other name for the card in order to fix it, I take it. (so please don't hesitate to submit something if you have an idea)
I've past the last two day of my creation time to try to find some solution and at this point I won't take the risk to miss the contest..

How about naming this Event Indulgence? You could then use this art:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/A_Peasant_Girl_buying_an_Indulgence.jpg

I think giving +1 Buy isn't worth it since the player had to spent $1 four times before, which means that this Event is mostly used with a spare buy and thus additional buys don't seem to be particularly attractive here. Maybe 2 Villagers?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2021, 07:27:07 am »
+1

Bad Omens is the only official card that requires you to put your deck into your discard pile. Hopefully that's different enough from optionally doing it to count as unique.

Donate also does this

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2021, 11:00:29 am »

This is my submition for the contest: [...]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/A_Peasant_Girl_buying_an_Indulgence.jpg

I think giving +1 Buy isn't worth it since the player had to spent $1 four times before, which means that this Event is mostly used with a spare buy and thus additional buys don't seem to be particularly attractive here. Maybe 2 Villagers?
Thank you verry much for your help!
I usualy don't like this type of art but it's far much better that nothing and it fit well with the size of the event.
For the effect, i think the fairest version: with just +2 villager for $1, you usulaly need a +buy  card on the kingdom and, in this case, the card is too much +Buy dependant in my opinion. turning your reamaning coin into villagers seem a much interesting rewerd in that case and still leave you with your original buy.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2021, 11:29:42 am »
+2

Donate also does this

Technically it does not:

Quote from: Donate
After this turn, put all cards from your deck and discard pile into your hand, trash any number, shuffle your hand into your deck, then draw 5 cards.

Cards come out of your discard pile (and deck) into your hand; out of your hand into the trash; and from your hand into your deck. Donate never puts any cards into your discard pile.

Practically speaking, Donate does trigger a shuffle, so a card you gained that turn does not wait in your discard pile for one to occur. But if you're using Donate to generate a shuffle, you're doing it wrong (and badly overpaying).
he/him/his

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2021, 12:42:22 pm »
+6

Prize pile from Tournament AND auction mechanic from Mountain Pass.

FAQ: This happens after the first time each player gains a Province, whether it was bought or gained another way. The player who gained the Province names an available Prize of their choice. Then the player to the left of that player bids first, then the player to their left and so on, ending with the player who gained the Province. Each bid can be a pass or a higher bid than the previous bid. Bids are in amounts of Debt. The player who bid the highest (if any) gains the Prize onto their deck and the Debt they bid. You may wish to use Project cubes to track who has already triggered this.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:28:43 pm by spheremonk »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2021, 01:54:44 pm »

This is my submition for the contest: [...]

Thank you verry much for your help!
I usualy don't like this type of art but it's far much better that nothing and it fit well with the size of the event.
For the effect, i think the fairest version: with just +2 villager for $1, you usulaly need a +buy  card on the kingdom and, in this case, the card is too much +Buy dependant in my opinion. turning your reamaning coin into villagers seem a much interesting rewerd in that case and still leave you with your original buy.

If there is no card with +Buy available in the Kingdom, you have to use 3 turns to just buy Indulgence to activate it and you cannot buy anything else. Who would do that?

Maybe put the +1 Buy at the beginning and restrict it to "Once per turn" to avoid any misuse. Some spelling (last line): on your Tavern mat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.