Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special  (Read 17210 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #116: Make me *less* special
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2021, 04:48:27 pm »
+3

From the sharpie addition, it makes it pretty clear that I can open Refuge/Refuge, and pretend I opened Kings Court/Mountebank. Every time I draw the first refuge I can play the Kings Court, leaving it in exile. Every time i draw the second refuge I play a mountebank, leaving it in exile.

That card is hard to balance. It doesn't work for Durations and it depends on the Kingdom. Having it cost $3 is totally broken for most Kingdoms. Having it cost $5 means you'd never buy it unless the Kingdom has a card costing more than $5. It's probably a $5 or a $4, but hard to balance.

But your card is even MORE powerful than this since each Refuge (if they don't collide) can both be the Kings Court. And you have the option of putting more copies of a card in Exile or the option to discard from Exile if that is better for some reason.

Way too strong for a $3.

Something like 8(not sure the number) debt would be an interesting way to cost it. You can also look into giving other players a benefit when played.

Did you miss the fact that the cards that get turned face down DON'T get turned face up again at end of turn? The only way you're using those cards again is getting them off the Exile mat.

If anything I think Refuge looks very weak. Once you've played the exiled Action once, your Refuge becomes a dead card. The idea of buying a one-shot version of a strong card for $3 is interesting, but I think it shouldn't leave a worthless Action in your deck.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2021, 05:36:13 pm »

From the sharpie addition, it makes it pretty clear that I can open Refuge/Refuge, and pretend I opened Kings Court/Mountebank. Every time I draw the first refuge I can play the Kings Court, leaving it in exile. Every time i draw the second refuge I play a mountebank, leaving it in exile.

That card is hard to balance. It doesn't work for Durations and it depends on the Kingdom. Having it cost $3 is totally broken for most Kingdoms. Having it cost $5 means you'd never buy it unless the Kingdom has a card costing more than $5. It's probably a $5 or a $4, but hard to balance.

But your card is even MORE powerful than this since each Refuge (if they don't collide) can both be the Kings Court. And you have the option of putting more copies of a card in Exile or the option to discard from Exile if that is better for some reason.

Way too strong for a $3.

Something like 8(not sure the number) debt would be an interesting way to cost it. You can also look into giving other players a benefit when played.

Did you miss the fact that the cards that get turned face down DON'T get turned face up again at end of turn? The only way you're using those cards again is getting them off the Exile mat.

If anything I think Refuge looks very weak. Once you've played the exiled Action once, your Refuge becomes a dead card. The idea of buying a one-shot version of a strong card for $3 is interesting, but I think it shouldn't leave a worthless Action in your deck.

Oh man I totally missed that!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:38:28 pm by anordinaryman »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2021, 11:16:44 pm »

Outlaw: Action-Night, $4
+2 Cards
If it's your Action phase, you may play an Action card from your Exile mat.
Otherwise, you may Exile an Action card from your hand.

So you get the +2 Cards whether you play it during your Action phase or your Night phase?  That seems a bit strange since, unless you happened to draw another Night card, you wouldn't be able to play what you drew
They/them

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2021, 11:43:38 pm »
+1

based on treasure map

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2021, 12:03:01 am »
+1

based on treasure map

That's a net 8 VP from two $4 cards, and only if you can line them up.  Seems like it would rarely be worth buying those over Duchy
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 12:22:11 am »

+2 Cards

So you get the +2 Cards whether you play it during your Action phase or your Night phase?  That seems a bit strange since, unless you happened to draw another Night card, you wouldn't be able to play what you drew

Drawing in your Night phase does have the advantage of potentially getting an Action card into your hand to Exile.  That said, I think it could still be a bit awkward especially if it triggers a bad shuffle.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2021, 02:10:52 am »
+1

Withdrawing this entry, I have another idea.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:45:22 am by xyz123 »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2021, 02:11:10 am »

+2 Cards

Drawing in your Night phase does have the advantage of potentially getting an Action card into your hand to Exile.  That said, I think it could still be a bit awkward especially if it triggers a bad shuffle.

Yes, the idea is that in the Night phase, you may draw an Action to set aside. And I mean, any effect that draws can trigger a bad shuffle.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2021, 03:40:46 am »
+5

Tunnel is the only Victory Reaction. The ability to Exile Victories as well as score points might be too much.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 06:34:33 am »

I originally thought Refuge might be fine at $2, but some cards are just so good to get early (e.g. Forge). I like the idea of Refuge staying in your deck not doing much, it's sort of reminiscent of Stonemason that way, getting you 2 copies of a card at the cost of a dead card.

I think I will buff Refuge a bit though. My current inclination is to make it "when you gain or trash"; that would also coincidentally de-uniquefy Flag Bearer.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 07:47:25 am »

+2 Cards

Yes, the idea is that in the Night phase, you may draw an Action to set aside. And I mean, any effect that draws can trigger a bad shuffle.

True,  and on the flip side sometimes you want to cycle through your deck so drawing in your Night phase might be desirable.  The card is actually very strong overall, so even if drawing in your Night phase ends up being a bit worse on average than not drawing, it's not like the card needs a buff.

Can this loop if you play a Command card in Exile?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 09:12:28 am »
+1

Royal Brooch
$5
Action - Treasure
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +3 Actions. If it's your Buy phase, + and +1 Buy.

Crown was feeling lonely in Action-Treasure land. And, after LastFootnote’s contest, I had a lot of vanilla bonuses sitting around waiting for use. I also believe that Pawn is the only current card that can give all four vanilla bonuses when played twice, but not when played once.

Update: changed the spelling of the name per LastFootnote's comment.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:42:05 pm by JW »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 10:18:12 am »

EDIT: revised entry downthread

Shipyard • $3 • Action
For each token on the Trade Route mat, choose a different option: +1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1; +1 Villager; or +1 Coffers.
-
Setup: Add a Coin token to each Victory Supply pile; move that token to the Trade Route mat when a card is gained from the pile.

The de-uniquifying factor is the (re)use of the Trade Route mat.
When used with Trade Route, you put two coins on each victory pile (that is, you follow both of their instructions).
As always, you do as much as you can - if there are more than six tokens on the trade route mat, it's just a super-market, you don't get to double dip.
If there are no tokens on the trade route mat, this card doesn't do anything. Gotta set it up.

I kind of wanted to make the price scale based on the TR mat, but that set up clause is brutal, and the card didn't need to be any longer.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 09:21:28 am by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 10:32:21 am »
+1

It seems that Butler it supposed to be a Kingdom card? That would imply it has a randomizer, and can show up without Master, which is weird. And if that's not what's going on, then I would argue that Master is much closer to Looters (or even the likes of Hermit and Urchin) than it is to Young Witch.

Butler has no Randomizer card. It's like Urchin, which means that you have to put a Mercenary pile close by, out of the Supply. Except, here, the Butler pile is in the Supply, meaning cards from it can be gained or bought, so long as the top card of that pile is face up. So yeah, 11th Kingdom card. :)
Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 10:33:44 am »

It seems that Butler it supposed to be a Kingdom card? That would imply it has a randomizer, and can show up without Master, which is weird. And if that's not what's going on, then I would argue that Master is much closer to Looters (or even the likes of Hermit and Urchin) than it is to Young Witch.

Butler has no Randomizer card. It's like Urchin, which means that you have to put a Mercenary pile close by, out of the Supply. Except, here, the Butler pile is in the Supply, meaning cards from it can be gained or bought, so long as the top card of that pile is face up. So yeah, 11th Kingdom card. :)
So it's like the Ruins pile?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 10:42:42 am »
+2

I think I will buff Refuge a bit though. My current inclination is to make it "when you gain or trash"; that would also coincidentally de-uniquefy Flag Bearer.

Well not to be a downer, but there are already other cards with "When you gain or trash this", like Silk Merchant, Rocks, and Crumbling Castle.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 10:45:30 am »

True,  and on the flip side sometimes you want to cycle through your deck so drawing in your Night phase might be desirable.  The card is actually very strong overall, so even if drawing in your Night phase ends up being a bit worse on average than not drawing, it's not like the card needs a buff.

I think you might be missing the fact that the card you play from Exile goes into play. It doesn't stay on your Exile mat. If anything I'm guessing Outlaw will be weak, but I'm hoping to test it tonight and will make revisions if it needs them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 10:48:06 am »
+1

Royal Broach
$5
Action - Treasure
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +3 Actions. If it's your Buy phase, and +1 Buy.

Crown was feeling lonely in Action-Treasure land. And, after LastFootnote’s contest, I had a lot of vanilla bonuses sitting around waiting for use. I believe that Pawn is the only current card that can give all four vanilla bonuses when played twice, but not when played once.

Although "broach" can be used in this manner, usually it's spelled "brooch" (though it's still usually pronounced "broach" in that case).

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:34 am »
+1

In a way, yes. Or cost cards, adding Potion as a Base Supply pile. But that's the subtly. Ruins and Potions are Base Supply piles, whereas Butler would be a Kingdom Supply pile, just like the Bane pile from Young Witch. The difference is pretty thin, but it's there I suppose, at least for the purpose of this contest.
Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 11:06:54 am »

Well not to be a downer, but there are already other cards with "When you gain or trash this", like Silk Merchant, Rocks, and Crumbling Castle.
Ah you're right of course. Well, it's still unique for the Necromancer bit.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2021, 11:07:47 am »

In a way, yes. Or cost cards, adding Potion as a Base Supply pile. But that's the subtly. Ruins and Potions are Base Supply piles, whereas Butler would be a Kingdom Supply pile, just like the Bane pile from Young Witch. The subtly is pretty thin, but it's there I suppose, at least for the purpose of this contest.
So what is the difference between a Base supply pile and a Kingdom supply pile?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2021, 11:17:43 am »
+1

So what is the difference between a Base supply pile and a Kingdom supply pile?

There's barely any difference at this point, especially for moving Base Supply piles such as Ruins/Potions/Colony/Platinum. Young Witch specifically reference a Kingdom pile instead of simply saying a Supply pile though.

I suppose that if we do not consider Young Witch as unique, then neither will be my submission.
Bottom text

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2021, 11:29:56 am »

not my submissions

two card ideas: Not sure what to go with right now. Would appreciate feedback/thoughts.

Aristocrat

Unique's: Costs 8 like prince, draws 5 cards like RBS, Can be gained via a victory card gain like duchess
A massive drawer, but while RBS discards coppers and punishes a poorly thinned deck, this one topdecks any revealed Victory cards and topdecks them. One one hand, this is bad and you would like this to not happen. on another, you might want to go for its "gain a province" effect that happens as a "consultation prize" if you happen to kill your next turn with 5 revealed victory cards or more.

Flippant City

Uniques: only card to care about even or Odd number of cards in play (like Idol)
This happened to become quite similar to Dilemma, an earlier WDC card I made. THis one is instead based on timing then on if you have a surplus of actions: Drawing one Flippant city is pointless in itself, but if you manage to get several of them, you can get a massive turn.

Coffee House

'Uniques: UUUUUHHH... Its the only card that makes you draw fewer cards next turn like outpost? Please tell me if this is Illegall for this weeks WDC
Oh hey, a city for 3$! nice! Wait... you draw one less card next turn? that sucks! I guess its like coffee... Energy now, but a crash later!

On most boards you would at most want two or 3 of these: Attack heavy boards like militia or discard cards like it this would be appealing. Obvious synergies with draw to X, Guide, Outpost, And mission.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:35:15 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2021, 11:59:14 am »

I think you might be missing the fact that the card you play from Exile goes into play. It doesn't stay on your Exile mat. If anything I'm guessing Outlaw will be weak, but I'm hoping to test it tonight and will make revisions if it needs them.

You're right - I was totally missing that! 

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2021, 12:37:53 pm »

Carnival
Event -

+1 Coffers

I withdrew my previous entry and I am submitting this instead.
The unique mechanic I am using is from Pageant which allows you to convert unspent money into coffers, but I am doing it as an event instead of a project. You can convert any number of coins but you always get back 1 fewer coffers.

- Edit -
Following feedback that the first version was to strong I have removed the + buy and the overpay facility so potentially you could convert all your money except 1 coin to coffers. Now it is spend 2 coins to get 1 coffer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 06:19:43 pm by xyz123 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.