Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Dynasty  (Read 3490 times)

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Dominion: Dynasty
« on: May 23, 2021, 12:39:16 am »
+3

Hello all. This is a custom fan expansion. The setting is the early Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Composition:

25 kingdom cards (250 in total)
4 Projects
3 Events
3 Wonders
6 Sets of 6 Wooden Cubes in each player color (for wonders)
10 Wine tokens

Theme:

6 One-Shot/Two-Shot Cards
5 Currency Cards
5 Debt Cards
5 Cards that mention Vanilla Bonuses (+Card, +Action, +Buy, +$)
4 Reactions
3 Wonders

New Mechanics:

Wonders: similar to projects, except it has multiple stages; building each stage costs 1 Buy; you get the full effect for the rest of the game when you finish building the final stage. Each player must complete their own wonders.

Currency: $ that may be used to purchase that type of card in this turn. For example, you have $3 and 3 TreasureCurrency during your buy phase. You can afford a Treasure card costing up to $6, or an Action card/Victory card costing up to $3. There are 3 types of currencies: ActionCurrency, TreasureCurrency, and VictoryCurrency.

Cards:

Events:

Projects:

Wonders:

Edit 1: Confucian to $4 instead of $3
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:36:04 am by Jupaoqq »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 12:59:07 am »
+1

I'm not really clear on how Currency works.  Does it work like +$, in that it has to be used in the same turn that you get it?  Or are there Currency tokens?
They/them

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 01:05:28 am »
+1

I'm not really clear on how Currency works.  Does it work like +$, in that it has to be used in the same turn that you get it?  Or are there Currency tokens?

It works likes +$, no currency token is required.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 01:12:50 am »
+3

Evict is far too strong.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 01:31:46 am »
+1

Tariff seems too strong.  A permanent discard attack for just $5?  Especially since it could potentially stack in multiplayer, if there's other cards that can cause you to start your turn with more than 5 cards, such as Council Room
They/them

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 01:37:29 am »

Evict is far too strong.

That's probably true, and it's opening split dependent. I might just find another event in my files to replace it.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 01:41:34 am »

Tariff seems too strong.  A permanent discard attack for just $5?  Especially since it could potentially stack in multiplayer, if there's other cards that can cause you to start your turn with more than 5 cards, such as Council Room

Yes, but you only discard down to 4 instead of 3, in which discard down to 3 hurts much more than discard down to 4. It works with your council rooms, governors, sure, but I hope it's balanced as $5 is a high opportunity cost. Also this is like permanent urchin without cantrip (which urchin without mercenary is quite weak), comparing to permanent herald without cantrip (Piazza) which is also at $5.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:54:18 am by Jupaoqq »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 01:53:41 am »
+1

It is the Project version of Urchin (actually it is weaker because you’d rather play your Urchin after your Governors) so it seems fine.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 06:11:22 am »
+1

I think Tariff should be "At the start of your turn, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards (plural) a card."

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 08:04:04 am »
+1

There are some pleasing ideas here! I'll give my positives and negatives on each of them:

Eunuch
+: A Moat you can later remove from the deck is neat for a $2 cost card. The Reaction is interesting with trash-for-benefit and Knight-like attacks.
-: Not much negative. For some reason when I look at a reaction that works on itself, it bores me? It calls for less interaction with the kingdom I guess. Thankfully the self-interaction is almost meaningless (just Tomb).
Overall: a neat little package.

Rice Farmer
+: It feels balanced, with the boost up to a Lab draw adding some interesting strategy.
-: it could be lengthy to play with a lot of revealing on a cantrip, and having to put them all back, including the dead cards, could get players feeling uninspired about it.
Overall: different costs is just a narrower version of different names. Does this need to look for costs rather than names for balance? If not, names might see this being more usable and hence inspiring.

Sycophant
+: the interactivity can be really interesting in some games where Action-heavy engines are the way to win. If the decision to choose is too taxing or it's impossible to guess, naming +Card or +Action is a reliable fall-back that will impede other Sycophants.
-: can't think of many negatives, possibly tracking which bonuses are cancelled could be tedious with several Sycophants played each turn?
Overall: this feels like one of the most compelling ideas here!

Winery
+: An elegant way to create and track two different modes, cheap one-shot 4 Cards or Hunting Grounds. The more Hunting Grounds modes purchased, the fewer one-shots become available; but there's a limit to how many HGs are wanted in a deck, so the interactivity is subdued.
-: One really wants to make sure their one-shot terminal draw will count, and not collide with other terminals they can't play. I imagine Experiment will be the heavy preference for a $3 purchase.
Overall: it's terminal draw, it'll be used, but the elegance of two cards in one is the only real appeal for me.

That will do for now. Quite a simplistic first-impression consideration that might not be quite true.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 08:12:32 am »
+1

probably among the cleanest ways to do the "wonder" mechanic.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +489
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 08:45:35 am »

neat
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 09:38:20 am »

There are some pleasing ideas here! I'll give my positives and negatives on each of them:

Eunuch
+: A Moat you can later remove from the deck is neat for a $2 cost card. The Reaction is interesting with trash-for-benefit and Knight-like attacks.
-: Not much negative. For some reason when I look at a reaction that works on itself, it bores me? It calls for less interaction with the kingdom I guess. Thankfully the self-interaction is almost meaningless (just Tomb).
Overall: a neat little package.

Rice Farmer
+: It feels balanced, with the boost up to a Lab draw adding some interesting strategy.
-: it could be lengthy to play with a lot of revealing on a cantrip, and having to put them all back, including the dead cards, could get players feeling uninspired about it.
Overall: different costs is just a narrower version of different names. Does this need to look for costs rather than names for balance? If not, names might see this being more usable and hence inspiring.

Sycophant
+: the interactivity can be really interesting in some games where Action-heavy engines are the way to win. If the decision to choose is too taxing or it's impossible to guess, naming +Card or +Action is a reliable fall-back that will impede other Sycophants.
-: can't think of many negatives, possibly tracking which bonuses are cancelled could be tedious with several Sycophants played each turn?
Overall: this feels like one of the most compelling ideas here!

Winery
+: An elegant way to create and track two different modes, cheap one-shot 4 Cards or Hunting Grounds. The more Hunting Grounds modes purchased, the fewer one-shots become available; but there's a limit to how many HGs are wanted in a deck, so the interactivity is subdued.
-: One really wants to make sure their one-shot terminal draw will count, and not collide with other terminals they can't play. I imagine Experiment will be the heavy preference for a $3 purchase.
Overall: it's terminal draw, it'll be used, but the elegance of two cards in one is the only real appeal for me.

That will do for now. Quite a simplistic first-impression consideration that might not be quite true.

Thanks for the feedback. Eunuch probably needs some testing for how it interacts with remodels (trash a province, gain a province, trash this to gain the province back), and seems the reaction doesn't actually relate to the top part, so I might need to adjust the on-trash ability and maybe make it more expensive if it turns out to be too good with remodels. Rice farmer even without lab is better than pearl diver and harvest already uses "differently named". You can open winery + silver at open to spike $6 or $7, you can gain them with workshops, and wine token mechanic could perhaps be used for other one-shot/permanent cards, of course.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +489
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 11:35:54 am »
+1

Thanks for the feedback. Eunuch probably needs some testing for how it interacts with remodels (trash a province, gain a province, trash this to gain the province back), and seems the reaction doesn't actually relate to the top part, so I might need to adjust the on-trash ability and maybe make it more expensive if it turns out to be too good with remodels. Rice farmer even without lab is better than pearl diver and harvest already uses "differently named". You can open winery + silver at open to spike $6 or $7, you can gain them with workshops, and wine token mechanic could perhaps be used for other one-shot/permanent cards, of course.

You could make Enuch only let you gain back the trashed cards for Non - victory cards if you want: Early game you wouldn't want Estates back anyway, And almost never get trashed by attack cards.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 01:27:58 pm »
+2

Printing Press allows a fairly easy endless loop. If you (a) empty your deck and discard pile, or (b) play a card that lets you topdeck cards you gain (Royal Seal/Tracker/Way of the Seal), then you can:
(1) play a Printing Press
(2) return Printing Press
(3) gain that Printing Press
(4) put the gained Printing Press onto your deck (or have it be the only card in your deck/discard pile)
(5) since you gained a card costing $1 less than $6, use the +1 Card to draw the Printing Press
(6) repeat
If you can put a +$1 Token on Printing Press, you can get an unlimited amount of $. If you can discount it by $1 (using Bridge, Highway, etc.) and play a Seal/Tracker, it becomes and endlessly reusable Lab, and you can draw your entire deck.

I think this is way too strong. It effectively immunizes you from handsize attacks, and when you aren't hit by those, it gives you a hand mulligan every turn. The official equivalent is Guide, which costs $3. As a point of comparison, Village also costs $3, and Barracks (which is a Village every turn) is $6. But the increase in strength from Guide to Compass is a significantly stronger than the increase from Village to Barracks. Village can be used the turn it is drawn, every time it is drawn. Guide has to be put onto the Reserve mat and cannot be used until the start of the next turn. Plus, in marginal cases when you're not sure whether or not to call Guide, you might be hesitant to do so, in case you need it much more the following turn. That uncertainty is totally removed with Compass, so you can always use it if you think you'll get a better hand.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 03:04:05 pm »

Printing Press allows a fairly easy endless loop. If you (a) empty your deck and discard pile, or (b) play a card that lets you topdeck cards you gain (Royal Seal/Tracker/Way of the Seal), then you can:
(1) play a Printing Press
(2) return Printing Press
(3) gain that Printing Press
(4) put the gained Printing Press onto your deck (or have it be the only card in your deck/discard pile)
(5) since you gained a card costing $1 less than $6, use the +1 Card to draw the Printing Press
(6) repeat
If you can put a +$1 Token on Printing Press, you can get an unlimited amount of $. If you can discount it by $1 (using Bridge, Highway, etc.) and play a Seal/Tracker, it becomes and endlessly reusable Lab, and you can draw your entire deck.

I think this is way too strong. It effectively immunizes you from handsize attacks, and when you aren't hit by those, it gives you a hand mulligan every turn. The official equivalent is Guide, which costs $3. As a point of comparison, Village also costs $3, and Barracks (which is a Village every turn) is $6. But the increase in strength from Guide to Compass is a significantly stronger than the increase from Village to Barracks. Village can be used the turn it is drawn, every time it is drawn. Guide has to be put onto the Reserve mat and cannot be used until the start of the next turn. Plus, in marginal cases when you're not sure whether or not to call Guide, you might be hesitant to do so, in case you need it much more the following turn. That uncertainty is totally removed with Compass, so you can always use it if you think you'll get a better hand.

Thanks, for printing press I could probably change it to cantrip and gain a card costing up to the same as this (instead of $6), like falconer says costing less than this, to prevent loops with cost reduction.
I disagree compass is too strong, Guide is $3 -> this is $5, and herald is $4 -> piazza is $5. You can argue this is like rotating two guides but it's still weaker than cathedral, which is the upper bound for projects.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 06:28:30 pm »
+1

This is really, really weak. "You may play an Action card from your hand" is essentially the same as +1 Action. So, let's assess what it does for each combination of the bonuses that any card can give:

The played card has...
+Cards: Premier is a Necropolis.
+Actions: Premier is a Cantrip. That does nothing else.
+Buys: Premier is a Copper.
+: Premier is +1 Action, +1 Buy (strictly worse than several cost cards).
+Cards and +Actions: Premier is a Village.
+Cards and +Buys: Premier is a this-turn only Fishing Village. Which is strictly worse than Squire.
+Cards and +: Premier is +2 Actions, +1 Buy. Which is strictly worse than one of my thoroughly playtested cards.
+Actions and +Buys: Premier is a Peddler.
+Actions and +: Premier is a Market Square sans reaction.
+Buys and +: Premier is a CSM but with + instead of +1 Coffer. Almost always worse than CSM.
+Cards, +Actions, and +Buys: Premier is a Bazaar.
+Cards, +Actions, and +: Premier is a Worker's Village.
+Cards, +Buys, and +: Premier is a Villa sans on-gain effect.
+Actions, +Buys, and +: Premier is a Market.
All four: Premier is a Market with +1 Action on top.

As shown above, the only time Premier is at all worth is when it plays something that gives both Actions and Buys, or something that gives all but one of the vanilla bonuses, and those cards are few and far between. Premier is completely outclassed by Throne Room at the same price the overwhelming majority of the time.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 07:19:58 pm »

This is really, really weak. "You may play an Action card from your hand" is essentially the same as +1 Action. So, let's assess what it does for each combination of the bonuses that any card can give:

The played card has...
+Cards: Premier is a Necropolis.
+Actions: Premier is a Cantrip. That does nothing else.
+Buys: Premier is a Copper.
+: Premier is +1 Action, +1 Buy (strictly worse than several cost cards).
+Cards and +Actions: Premier is a Village.
+Cards and +Buys: Premier is a this-turn only Fishing Village. Which is strictly worse than Squire.
+Cards and +: Premier is +2 Actions, +1 Buy. Which is strictly worse than one of my thoroughly playtested cards.
+Actions and +Buys: Premier is a Peddler.
+Actions and +: Premier is a Market Square sans reaction.
+Buys and +: Premier is a CSM but with + instead of +1 Coffer. Almost always worse than CSM.
+Cards, +Actions, and +Buys: Premier is a Bazaar.
+Cards, +Actions, and +: Premier is a Worker's Village.
+Cards, +Buys, and +: Premier is a Villa sans on-gain effect.
+Actions, +Buys, and +: Premier is a Market.
All four: Premier is a Market with +1 Action on top.

As shown above, the only time Premier is at all worth is when it plays something that gives both Actions and Buys, or something that gives all but one of the vanilla bonuses, and those cards are few and far between. Premier is completely outclassed by Throne Room at the same price the overwhelming majority of the time.

Thanks for the writeup, I'll just either adjust the cost of put a default vanilla bonus (i.e. +action) to boost it.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 05:36:34 am »

Eunuch is a very cool card for an opening.
however, it have the trash for benefit issue: you may remodel a Province into a Provindce and then you gain a province. I really like card that combo with tfb but this type of card seem really dangerous.

Rich farmer is a nice lab variant. It combo well both +Buy (and I think it’s always a nice thing) however, having 4 cards with different cost seem incredibly rare and swingy. The card isn’t too weak imo because you can still chain them to re-order your deck in order to trigger the lab effect. I think it should say ‘differently named’ like Cornucopia cards.

Sycophant is pretty interesting. I usually don’t like card that explicitly play on vanilla bonuses because it make difference between « +1 Cards » and « draw a card » (some card have the « draw a card » wording in some version of the game). However, if we ignore this rare edge case, the card is pretty interesting in deck that run a lot of different cards.

Winery is cool. Hope that Wine tokens will be use on an other card because having one token for only one card seem pretty sad (even if the game already did it). It’s maybe a dumb idea but I wonder if the journey token from adventure couldn’t be use for this card… (obviously it act a little bit differently) Anyway the card seem fair as it is now.

Poet is a sort of one-shot double lab. I think it’s fair as it is for now.

Persist is a nice card that could be used in two different way, I think it’s a cool peddler variant. Maybe a little bit strong with the play from exile effect idk, maybe play test this part with other peddler variant.

I’ll comment the rest later; if you have any objection or if I haven’t understand something well, don’t hesitate to told me.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 06:16:12 am »

Forbidden city needs a timing. If there is one token on this when? At the start of your turn?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 12:30:48 pm »

Poet
+: Apprentice is fun, and this Stockpile/Apprentice fusion should see good use, elegantly tucking itself away when finished with or self returning and cycling for consistent draw.
-: not much of a negative, but it's bad with Coppers; since you really want to make your one-shot count you'll want to get some kind of draw each time.
Overall: Apprentice at $5 is likely weaker than Gold +Buy, but on the other hand, this can get itself back. A thinner and drawer in one card will be strong, but if it's balanced it's flexible and interesting.

Persist
+: I really like how both this and Poet use Exile in a simple but effective new way! Keep buying Persists after the first one and they become one-shot +2 of each bonus.
-: could be too strong. +1 Cards needs fixing.
Overview: balance is the big question here.

Alley
+: Using debt to negate cost reduction power would be nifty, if it works.
-: 'While this is in play' wording has recently been updated to 'while you have this in play'. This needs a lot of $ payload in the deck to do anything, to the point that it will probably be unrealistic and only harmful to the deck.
Overview: with one Alley and 4 Coppers in hand, the Alley takes away the ability to buy a $4 and instead 2 $2s or $3/$1. Any other +buy card is preferential.
With 4 Alleys in play, $8 is needed to clear the debt, with another $8 to get 2 Provinces; again, any other single +buy card would work. Or $5 for 5 Duchies, which might be more valid.
8 Alleys in play needs $16 with it. By the time you build the deck to get $16, is there the time to get 8 more stop cards?
So, buff it somehow. Reduce the debt to 1, or even stick +1 Card on.

Servant
+: The reaction can open up new and interesting strategies.
-: the reaction window is narrow, with there being few choosing cards. The self synergy is quite weak (as I feel it should be) with potential Lab or +2 Cards + $2 across three cards in hand.
Overview: it feels like Patron, rarely good with its reaction but fun when it is.

Another 4.

Shael

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 06:43:28 pm »

Part 2

Alley seem like a nice variant to bridge, however it seem really weak, especially since you have to pay to get rid of the debt in order to bu some other cards during your turn.

Servant seem really weak, you need to have an other one in your hand to gain an other effect and even in the case where you discard a Victory card, it's still a sort of super-cave but for only one card. As it is, I think $3 is a better cost for this card. It will encourage the player to buy more of them and it will have for result to make the collision less rare.

Panda, let’s ignore the illustration ;) (funny) and jump directly to the card. It’s a sort of Super-Peddler. At least, it’s a peddler but it could be far more interesting. I guess that the card you draw during cleanup are draw simultaneously so you can’t react with Panda for one of them. it’s a nice card with a nice reaction

Prefecture is the first card that use Currency. I’ll won’t wait too long: I don’t like this concept, I feel like it’s not so interesting and cards that use them could just be worded differently for a similar effect (especially this one).
However, in order to juge the card fairly, I’ll let it aside. I think the card is really well-balance and it fit well for $4.

Confucian is a cantrip that become a city in some condition. I think it’s balanced or maybe a little bit too strong as it now (play test it could be a nice thing for this one). As it is now it’s obviously too weak for 5$. I still think that card shouldn’t play explicitly on vanilla bonuses (it could make issue with cards that are worded differently between the version. « +2 cards » shouldn’t be different of « draw to cards »)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 10:27:46 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Shael

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2021, 10:22:24 am »

Part 3

Carpenter is a good gainer, it’s maybe little bit to strong compare to Ironworks but make it terminal seem really hard to fix it. Put it at $5 with +2 Currency or the same as $4 but in terminal could be two ways to solve the problem. However, the card isn’t broken as it is.

Premier seem pretty weak. A good combo with it is by using market or peddler with it but then it just act like a throne room. I think it could be at $3. An other problem I have with this card is that it explicitly play on vanilla bonuses (and I explain before why I feel like it shouldn’t be a dominion feature.

Weaving Mill have some problem in my opinion:
First, I think that Weaving Mill is just too weak, it’s usually just a lesser Banish.
Also, it have a pretty weird wording in the top part: I thing it will be clearer if it just say ‘you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card from the trash’. It’s not exactly the same but it feel more dominion and it make the card stronger. ‘on trash’ and ‘on gain’ effect
I also think that it should have an other dividing line: since both effect don’t trigger at the same time it should present two of those according to the rules.
The on-trash effect is also pretty insignifiant (but i guess it’s fine since it could be trigger easyly).

Pottery is a sort of Salvager. It’s a very cool card, I think it’s fairly balance and it assure me in the position that +1 Currency have the power level of $1. (so carpenter is definitely too strong). Anyway, the card itself is really good, I think it’s fair and it allow nice megaturns.

Tea merchant is a pretty cool alternative mine. I know that mine is consider as too weak and give it cantrip in order to remove the trash-for-benefit part is interesting. I think it’s a really nice card.

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2021, 01:48:05 pm »

Part 3

Carpenter is a good gainer, it’s maybe little bit to strong compare to Ironworks but make it terminal seem really hard to fix it. Put it at $5 with +2 Currency or the same as $4 but in terminal could be two ways to solve the problem. However, the card isn’t broken as it is.

Premier seem pretty weak. A good combo with it is by using market or peddler with it but then it just act like a throne room. I think it could be at $3. An other problem I have with this card is that it explicitly play on vanilla bonuses (and I explain before why I feel like it shouldn’t be a dominion feature.

Weaving Mill have some problem in my opinion:
First, I think that Weaving Mill is just too weak, it’s usually just a lesser Banish.
Also, it have a pretty weird wording in the top part: I thing it will be clearer if it just say ‘you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card from the trash’. It’s not exactly the same but it feel more dominion and it make the card stronger. ‘on trash’ and ‘on gain’ effect
I also think that it should have an other dividing line: since both effect don’t trigger at the same time it should present two of those according to the rules.
The on-trash effect is also pretty insignifiant (but i guess it’s fine since it could be trigger easyly).

Pottery is a sort of Salvager. It’s a very cool card, I think it’s fairly balance and it assure me in the position that +1 Currency have the power level of $1. (so carpenter is definitely too strong). Anyway, the card itself is really good, I think it’s fair and it allow nice megaturns.

Tea merchant is a pretty cool alternative mine. I know that mine is consider as too weak and give it cantrip in order to remove the trash-for-benefit part is interesting. I think it’s a really nice card.

Thanks for the replies,
I'm considering making eunuch more expensive if the test shows it's nuts with many tfbs.
rice farmer costs $2, so I thought it's ok that it rarely draws (ordering cards is still desirable).
alley as is only works with workshops, take 8 debt then just groom all the provinces, I agree it needs power and wording fix.
servant used to cost $3, it's just with multiples it easily turns into fugitives, and also it's kinda flexible.
not much thought was put into carpenter, the set needs a gainer so here it is, I might try to come up with something that better demonstrates how currency might be relevant.
premier obviously needs fixing, as is it's pretty weak
I hope pottery demonstrates how currency might be different from +$, trash copper that gives $4 but only towards buying treasures is different from moneylender's +$3, and later trash estates for 4 Victory Currency could help acquire provinces. Alternatively, you can trash a $2 action to gain a $5 action easily. With that being said, I'm considering changing it to $3 so you can open 2, if they collide just trash the other one and buy a $5 action, if not just get 2 trashing in and maybe get some silvers or golds.
weaving mill is a half sanctuary or half village that lets you exile a card on gain, the problem with 2 dividing lines has been raised before, I cited silk as an example but it might still need 2 lines.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 01:52:01 pm by Jupaoqq »

Jupaoqq

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2021, 01:51:23 pm »

Poet
+: Apprentice is fun, and this Stockpile/Apprentice fusion should see good use, elegantly tucking itself away when finished with or self returning and cycling for consistent draw.
-: not much of a negative, but it's bad with Coppers; since you really want to make your one-shot count you'll want to get some kind of draw each time.
Overall: Apprentice at $5 is likely weaker than Gold +Buy, but on the other hand, this can get itself back. A thinner and drawer in one card will be strong, but if it's balanced it's flexible and interesting.

Persist
+: I really like how both this and Poet use Exile in a simple but effective new way! Keep buying Persists after the first one and they become one-shot +2 of each bonus.
-: could be too strong. +1 Cards needs fixing.
Overview: balance is the big question here.

Alley
+: Using debt to negate cost reduction power would be nifty, if it works.
-: 'While this is in play' wording has recently been updated to 'while you have this in play'. This needs a lot of $ payload in the deck to do anything, to the point that it will probably be unrealistic and only harmful to the deck.
Overview: with one Alley and 4 Coppers in hand, the Alley takes away the ability to buy a $4 and instead 2 $2s or $3/$1. Any other +buy card is preferential.
With 4 Alleys in play, $8 is needed to clear the debt, with another $8 to get 2 Provinces; again, any other single +buy card would work. Or $5 for 5 Duchies, which might be more valid.
8 Alleys in play needs $16 with it. By the time you build the deck to get $16, is there the time to get 8 more stop cards?
So, buff it somehow. Reduce the debt to 1, or even stick +1 Card on.

Servant
+: The reaction can open up new and interesting strategies.
-: the reaction window is narrow, with there being few choosing cards. The self synergy is quite weak (as I feel it should be) with potential Lab or +2 Cards + $2 across three cards in hand.
Overview: it feels like Patron, rarely good with its reaction but fun when it is.

Another 4.

Alley probably needs fixing, I can see persist to $4 as each one is +2 Cards +2 Actions +$2 in total, the second time being called by another persist you played. That compares not bad to experiment, and you can easily discard many copies of this from exile. Also unlike stockpile the pile can pretty much never run out. It's hard to evaluate and might need testing to see whether it needs to be $4.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.