Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!  (Read 7498 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
+6

Hi all,

I started out by trying to decide whether to come up with a new mechanic or borrow one from the Atlas, but the problem was:

• if I came up with a new one, I'd need some good sample cards, and I don't have the time right now
• if I borrowed one, I'd want to pick something that excited me, which would make me want to compete!

But then I realized this is week #10 and I remembered a post that emtzalex a while back, and there was the solution to my dilemma:

WELCOME TO THE SEASON 1 FINALE EXTRAVAGANZA!!

We've had 9 contests so far, so my proposal is to follow emtzalex's suggestion for every 10th week. (we'll at least do it this week!)

Rules:

Rules for the week are simple: Design a card or card shaped thing (or a set thereof) that uses 2 or more of the fan card mechanics from the "season" i.e. weeks 1-9. Links to each of these past contests can be found at the Hall of Fame post.

Judgement:

My general criteria continues to be: Is this a card I wish I had designed? So I will look towards it being interesting and fun, foremost, and at least somewhat thematic. While balance is also important, if it's a card that has some imbalance but potential to be fixed, it won't lose many points. I also do tend to lean towards "simpler is better", knowing that is sometimes in conflict with "interesting and fun".

The only thing I can see as disqualifying is not using at least 2 of the above mechanics. Both (or all) mechanics don't have to be on the same card if you design a multiple card design, but I will evaluate the design on how well the combined mechanics fit together, mechanically and/or thematically. So don't, for example, design a traveler line just so you can mash up all 9 mechanics into your design - it should "make sense" why you chose the mechanics you did.

Submission Deadline:

Entries and revisions must be submitted by 12:01 Forum Time (16:01 UTC) on Wednesday, May 18. Some time around then, I'll make the outline post showing all the latest versions of the entries I've seen, so you can confirm I haven't missed any.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:37:46 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile

I think the idea is cool, but maybe make it one of them rather than two? Having to fit to fairly restrictive mechanics on one card could lead to pretty artificial designs.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile

haha, this were my idea for what the theme would be if I won next time! fitting that its the season finale!
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile

anyway, i think it would be a very good idea to ask the forum makers to make the weekly fan mechanic contest a child forum, so that its easy to find it in the variant forum in the future

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
+1

I think the idea is cool, but maybe make it one of them rather than two? Having to fit to fairly restrictive mechanics on one card could lead to pretty artificial designs.

I think that's the whole point. You need to figure out meaningful interactions between 2 supposedly distinct ideas and create an interesting card that is not trivial or artificial. If I can find time ti sit down and look at them, I'll be up for the challenge. Some will be easier to pair up than others.
he/him

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
+1

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "one of them rather than two". Isn't that what the previous contests each were?

Also, if it wasn't clear by "sets thereof" I meant you you could design, for example, a split pile where the top card uses one mechanic and the bottom a different mechanic. (as long as it makes sense design wise and isn't "forced")

I think that's the whole point. You need to figure out meaningful interactions between 2 supposedly distinct ideas and create an interesting card that is not trivial or artificial. If I can find time ti sit down and look at them, I'll be up for the challenge. Some will be easier to pair up than others.

Yes - this was the general thought. Imagine we were creating a new expansion with multiple mechanics. Some cards would utilize a single mechanic (e.g. the entries from previous contests), while others would combine mechanics in meaningful ways. As examples, here are official cards from some of the more recent expansions that combine their respective new mechanics:

Adventures: Pathfinding (Events / Tokens); Teacher (Reserve / Travelers / Tokens)

Empires: Fortune (Debt / Split Pile)

Nocturne: Vampire / Bat (Night / Hexes / Exchange); Exorcist (Night / Spirits); Pixie (Heirlooms / Boons); Fool (Heirlooms / States)

Renaissance: Patron (Villagers / Coffers*); Swashbuckler (Artifacts / Coffers*); Exploration (Projects / Villagers / Coffers*)

Menagerie: Sleigh (Horses / Alternative Reactions);  Way of the Camel (Ways / Exile)

* while Coffers aren't exactly new to Renaissance, it still seems to fit the concept here
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:35:05 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
+4

I am a bit biased, but I also think there is a lot of potential to combine different mechanics. I have actually explored those combination in a couple of posts, both here (where I explore combinations of the first four mechanics) as well as here (my post about Kin cards; about halfway down I look at combinations of Kin and other mechanics).

While not every combination of mechanics we have dealt with has the same potential, I do think there is a lot of potential. Several of the mechanics are incredibly versatile. For example, Worshippers and Trade tokens are both resources that are widely useful (Trade tokens can be used for literally anything). That being said, here is what I have come up with for this contest.

My Submission (Northwest Passage):

Quote from: Northwest Passage
NORTHWEST PASSAGE       
ACTION - DURATION - AQUATIC
Now and at the start of your next turn: +3 Cards, +1 Buy, +2 Coffers.

When you gain this, Freeze it four times.

The search for a northwest passage (a sea route between Europe and Asia connecting the Atlantic and Pacific via the Arctic north of the Americas) was one of the major projects of the so-called "Age of Exploration." Such a route's economic potential was so great, it served as the economic justification for many European expeditions to North America.

My submission combines the mechanics from Week 8 (Aquatic) and Week 9 (Freeze/Ice tokens). Northwest Passage is a powerful Duration, being substantially stronger than Wharf or Barge, with the Aquatic function meaning you will get it back sooner. However, the Passage starts out frozen, so you have to wait before using it.

While not a fan mechanic, the Debt cost adds another layer. Many of the official debt-cost cards are designed so that they are not immediately highly powerful if bought early (Royal Blacksmith loses Coppers; City Quarter needs other Action cards to draw). The Ice tokens can do that another way. You can buy it on turn 1, but it won't go into their deck for four turns, so will not become helpful right away.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
+3

I want to make just one more point about combining mechanics, highlighting one of the cards I had previously designed:

Not a Submission:

Quote from: Lauds
Lauds -- $2
Dawn - Reaction
+2 Worshippers

When you trash a card, you may reveal this from your hand to put it onto your deck.

Lauds is a fairly unassuming card, and easy to overlook amongst the unwieldy number of cards I have a tendency to dump out into these threads. However, it is probably the card that I am most proud of when it comes to the idea of combining two mechanics. One thing I have really liked about this contest is looking at the challenges the mechanics present and coming up with solutions to them.

For example, the biggest challenge with the Worshippers mechanic (in my opinion) is how powerful it is; Worshippers can make it too easy to trash a card when you want, where you want, without having to have the card a certain place at a certain time (as you do with almost every official trasher; even Cathedral misses cards you draw during your turn). To mitigate that, I have (sometimes) tried to design cards that make a player think twice about trashing, at least in some contexts. For example, my Week 1 submission gained Worshippers by discarding Victory cards, so each time you trash an Estate, it's harder to get more Worshippers.

As I previously discussed at length, the biggest challenge with Dawn cards is their potential to be drawn dead, and the most obvious solution is to make them multiple types, either another playable type (Action/Treasure/Night), allowing them to be played later in the turn (for a different, and presumably not as good, effect) or a Reaction, which either lets them do something else useful or topdecks them so they can be in your next turn's hand.

What I like so much about Lauds is that it seamlessly combines these two solutions to the challenges with the two mechanics. If you are worried about potentially drawing Lauds dead, you will be inclined to save one of the two Worshippers until the card is safely back in your hand (in case you need it to trigger the reaction).

I think there is a lot of potential to find other ways of blending the different strengths and weakness of the different mechanics into really interesting cards.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile

Hi all,

I started out by trying to decide whether to come up with a new mechanic or borrow one from the Atlas, but the problem was:

• if I came up with a new one, I'd need some good sample cards, and I don't have the time right now
• if I borrowed one, I'd want to pick something that excited me, which would make me want to compete!

But then I realized this is week #10 and I remembered a post that emtzalex a while back, and there was the solution to my dilemma:

WELCOME TO THE SEASON 1 FINALE EXTRAVAGANZA!!

We've had 9 contests so far, so my proposal is to follow emtzalex's suggestion for every 10th week. (we'll at least do it this week!)

Rules:

Rules for the week are simple: Design a card or card shaped thing (or a set thereof) that uses 2 or more of the fan card mechanics from the "season" i.e. weeks 1-9. Links to each of these past contests can be found at the Hall of Fame post.

Judgement:

My general criteria continues to be: Is this a card I wish I had designed? So I will look towards it being interesting and fun, foremost, and at least somewhat thematic. While balance is also important, if it's a card that has some imbalance but potential to be fixed, it won't lose many points. I also do tend to lean towards "simpler is better", knowing that is sometimes in conflict with "interesting and fun".

The only thing I can see as disqualifying is not using at least 2 of the above mechanics. Both (or all) mechanics don't have to be on the same card if you design a multiple card design, but I will evaluate the design on how well the combined mechanics fit together, mechanically and/or thematically. So don't, for example, design a traveler line just so you can mash up all 9 mechanics into your design - it should "make sense" why you chose the mechanics you did.

Submission Deadline:

Entries and revisions must be submitted by 12:01 Forum Time (16:01 UTC) on Wednesday, May 18. Some time around then, I'll make the outline post showing all the latest versions of the entries I've seen, so you can confirm I haven't missed any.

Do both mechanisms have to be used with the same card, or can it be a split pile or involving non-supply cards?
They/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "one of them rather than two". Isn't that what the previous contests each were?

Yeah, except that you could choose, so each submission could 'repeat' a contest of their choice.

But it seems like no-one else has an issue with two mechanics on the same card, so nvm.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 10:27:24 am »
+2

Im now in the Idea phase: im gonna post a lot of different card ideas here, and then decide which one will be my submission

Combining the wonder and the ice token...

im going with The alchemists rules here for this wonder
The effect upon completion (fully advanced, a player cube on each space), is provided to all players and on every turn from the point of completion onwards, and is given by the main text above the line. The only distinction between players is provided by any bolded text that has slashes dividing the bonus. All players tied for first, the most cubes placed on the Wonder, get the first number, all players tied for second the second, etc., with no skipping of places in case of a tie. A player who places no cube gets no bonus, you can think of a Wonder as a delayed Project with an alternate cost as the buy-in. There is a front/backside to each card, with a two player and a three+ player variant of the Wonder.

This wonder has 7 Steps for a 2 player game and 11 steps for 3+ player games

Another card idea, this one using Trade tokens and ice tokens

Third card idea: This one uses Dawn and trade tokens
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:47:11 pm by fika monster »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 10:41:33 am »
+2

Do both mechanisms have to be used with the same card, or can it be a split pile or involving non-supply cards?

Either is valid - I clarified what I meant by "a set thereof" in my later post:

Also, if it wasn't clear by "sets thereof" I meant you you could design, for example, a split pile where the top card uses one mechanic and the bottom a different mechanic. (as long as it makes sense design wise and isn't "forced")
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 12:03:27 pm by scolapasta »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:24 pm »
+4

/

Mission • $4 • Action
If it is A Time To Preach, +1 Worshipper. If it is A Time To Build, +2 Villagers.

Turn over A Time To Preach/A Time To Build.

A Time To Preach • Condition
At the start of your turn, you may spend a Trade Token for +1 Coffers.
(A Time to Build is on the other side)
and on the other side:
A Time To Build • Condition
When you buy a card costing $3 or more, gain a Trade Token.
(A Time to Preach is on the other side)

the condition starts with "A Time To Preach" face up, so it will take at least two plays of Mission to turn trade tokens into coffers.

An alternating village/trasher. Uses Conditions, Worshippers, and Trade tokens. Only allows conversion of one Trade token into Coffers at a time.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 03:05:15 am »
+2

This was a tough challenge!  Hard to combine two mechanisms in a balanced way

Swords to Plowshares
Dawn - Conditional
$3
Flip Wartime/Peacetime, then if it's Wartime, +1 Action when you play an Attack card this turn. Otherwise, when you buy a card this turn, +1 VP
-
Setup: In games using this, add an extra pile with the Attack type
Peacetime
Condition
(Wartime is on the opposite side)
Wartime
Condition
(Peacetime is on the opposite side.)
(This side starts face-up.)

This is a card that enhances your turn.  If it's Peacetime when you play it, then it becomes Wartime, and all Attack cards become non-terminal.  If you play it when it's Wartime, then it becomes Peacetime, and you get VP tokens when you buy cards.  In order to ensure that the Wartime part is always useful (or almost always at least) there's a set-up rule that guarantees there'll be at least one Attack card.  Of course, if that Attack card happens to be Idol or Relic, it doesn't do you much good, but in most kingdoms, it'll be a strong bonus.  And gaining VP tokens in peacetime is also very useful

Its effect depends on which condition is face-up when you play it, so if you manage to play two of these, you get both effects, and if you manage to play three of them, then you get one of those effects twice.  However, by its nature as a Dawn card, you can only play it if it's in your starting hand, so it's a lot harder to spam than Action cards.  So, the price would be less than a similar Action card would cost.  I'm not certain how balanced it is, it's hard to get an intuitive feel for Dawn cards
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 03:14:41 am by mxdata »
They/them

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 04:17:30 pm »
+4

Relief Aid - Action Attack, $4 cost.
+1 Worshipper
If it's disaster, each other player gains a Curse. If it's Aftermath, + $3.
Disaster - Condition
When you trash a Curse, flip this over.
(This side starts face up.)
Aftermath - Condition
When you trash a Copper, flip this over.
Worshippers seem more justified when junk enters the deck mid game; yet trashing + junk attack = centralising card. Maybe this is centralising even though the attack can be turned off.
Looks like my conditions are a bit too yellow as well.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 04:55:22 pm »

+1 Worshipper
Disaster - Condition
Aftermath - Condition
Worshippers seem more justified when junk enters the deck mid game; yet trashing + junk attack = centralising card. Maybe this is centralising even though the attack can be turned off.

I really like that method for flipping the condition
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:15 pm »

+1 Worshipper
Disaster - Condition
Aftermath - Condition

Just a rules question for Disaster/Aftermath: If I trash both a Copper and a Curse simultaneously (e.g. with Chapel, Forge, etc), does Disaster/Aftermath get flipped twice?  Do players choose the order in which the cards are trashed?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 05:01:44 pm by Timinou »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 05:52:10 pm »
+1

+1 Worshipper
Disaster - Condition
Aftermath - Condition

Just a rules question for Disaster/Aftermath: If I trash both a Copper and a Curse simultaneously (e.g. with Chapel, Forge, etc), does Disaster/Aftermath get flipped twice?  Do players choose the order in which the cards are trashed?

I'm pretty sure that falls under the general rule that if two or more things happen at the same time you get to choose what order they occur.  So, you'd get to choose what order to trash them.  I don't believe there's any official cards where the order you trash cards would matter, so that's an interesting twist on this card.  So, if it's on Disaster and you trash a Curse and a Copper, you can choose two orders:
1. Trash the Copper (Condition stays the same)
2. Trash the Curse (Flip it over to Aftermath)
or
1. Trash the Curse (Flips over to Aftermath)
2. Trash the Copper (Flips over to Disaster)
They/them

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 07:46:32 pm »
+2

Night Traders - $4
Dawn - Action - Night
If it is your Dawn phase, you may pay 1 Trade for +3 Cards.
If it is your Action phase, +$2, +1 Buy, and +1 Trade.
If it is your Night phase and you have at least 1 Buy, you may place this on top of your deck.

Uses unlimited Dawn cards per turn. A combination of Woodcutter and Den of Sin. The Night mode allows you to set up for the following Dawn, but requires you to have a spare Buy remaining. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Updated card type order.

Old Version
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:54:53 am by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 07:55:12 pm »
+1

+1 Worshipper
Disaster - Condition
Aftermath - Condition

I'm pretty sure that falls under the general rule that if two or more things happen at the same time you get to choose what order they occur.  So, you'd get to choose what order to trash them.  I don't believe there's any official cards where the order you trash cards would matter, so that's an interesting twist on this card.  So, if it's on Disaster and you trash a Curse and a Copper, you can choose two orders:
or

I agree with mxdata, and the official rules support their position. Per the rulebook for Dark Ages (the trashingest expansion): "When two or more cards are trashed at the same time, such as due to Count, first trash them all, then pick an order to resolve things that happen due to trashing them." (Dark Ages Rulebook, p. 5).
he/him/his

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 08:58:43 pm »

Night Traders - $4
Action - Dawn - Night
If it is your Night phase and you have at least 1 Buy, you may place this on top of your deck.

Uses unlimited Dawn cards per turn. A combination of Woodcutter and Den of Sin. The Night mode allows you to set up for the following Dawn, but requires you to have a spare Buy remaining. Feedback is appreciated.

Wouldn't the order Dawn - Action - Night make more sense?  The Dawn phase comes before the Action phase, so shouldn't it be listed first?  Same reason you have Action - Treasure and Action - Night rather than Treasure - Action or Night - Action
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2021, 09:00:48 pm »

+1 Worshipper
Disaster - Condition
Aftermath - Condition

or

I agree with mxdata, and the official rules support their position. Per the rulebook for Dark Ages (the trashingest expansion): "When two or more cards are trashed at the same time, such as due to Count, first trash them all, then pick an order to resolve things that happen due to trashing them." (Dark Ages Rulebook, p. 5).

Oh, right, with Dark Ages there are some cards where the order of trashing could matter, so this wouldn't be the first time it's relevant.  E.g., if Catacombs and Rats are both trashed, and trashing the Rats triggers a shuffle, then it would be relevant whether you gain the card from Catacombs first or last
They/them

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2021, 09:44:14 pm »
+1

Night Traders - $4
Action - Dawn - Night

Wouldn't the order Dawn - Action - Night make more sense?  The Dawn phase comes before the Action phase, so shouldn't it be listed first?  Same reason you have Action - Treasure and Action - Night rather than Treasure - Action or Night - Action

I mainly went off of the order used in the original competition where most used Action - Dawn, but really I can see your argument for Dawn - Action being valid as well. I personally think of it as Action being more relevant as a type than either Dawn or Night, and that is the main deciding factor for order, but I will defer to the brainchild of the mechanic.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28:59 am »
+2

Night Traders - $4
Action - Dawn - Night

I mainly went off of the order used in the original competition where most used Action - Dawn, but really I can see your argument for Dawn - Action being valid as well. I personally think of it as Action being more relevant as a type than either Dawn or Night, and that is the main deciding factor for order, but I will defer to the brainchild of the mechanic.

I had also originally put Action first, even before Dawn, since I believe all official cards have Action first for multi--type.

However, as has been said, Dawn comes before Action phase. And since nothing came before Action phase before, that would make sense why Action was always first.

So as I've been posting cards for my expansion, Dominion: New Dawn, I've now been listing Dawn first for all multi--type.
he/him

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 09:14:27 am »
+4

Keeping it simple:

Fair Tide - $5
Dawn - Subdeck
+2 Cards

Laboratory (Sea's gift) that bottom-decks from gain/play; effectively top-decking with the shuffle. However, as a Dawn card, it can't be conventionally drawn into and played (so being made to discard one from hand is really bad), nor throned/imped.

Edit: Updated to cost $6: the card's on par with hireling, and opening these would snowball super effectively.
Edit: Put it back to $5, as the snowball isn't the end of the world, and the user-unfriendliness keeps this from strictly outclassing Hireling.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:24:16 pm by Mahowrath »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.