Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!  (Read 7580 times)

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 10: Season 1 Finale Extravaganza!
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2021, 09:14:19 am »
+1

I'm shivering with anticipation! Or maybe that's the ice tokens?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2021, 12:46:32 pm »
+4

Sorry for the delay, I had hoped to get judgement out before the weekend, as I knew I wouldn't have time then. But for whoever posted that designing a card with two or more of these mechanics was hard, I gotta add, JUDGING a contest with 2+ fan mechanics feels even harder.

I'm hoping to get the judgment in by tonight or tomorrow latest (I want to post the new weekly contest first, so that people have something to noodle on).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:46:07 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +482
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 01:54:57 pm »
+1

Sorry for the delay, I had hoped to get judgement out before the weekend, as I knew I wouldn't have time then. But for whoever posted that designing a card with two or more of these mechanics was hard, I gotta add, JUDGING a contest with 2+ fan mechanics feels even harder.

I'm hoping to get the judgment in by tonight or tomorrow latest (I want to post the new weekly contest first, so that people have something to noodle on).

no worries. We all get struck by optimism bias sometimes. Thanks for writing in on why judgement was late
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2021, 08:46:04 am »
+1

So is judging happening soon?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2021, 03:54:45 pm »
+5

Apologies to all for the delay in judging - It's been a week! (I mean that both in the literal and metaphorical ways!)

Anyway, I've added comments to the previous post for each card and here I will post some more general thoughts and the winners.

First, some statistics: all but one entry chose to use 2 mechanics (the exception being spineflu using 3). And the distribution was:

Conditions: 5
Trade: 5
Dawn: 4
Worshippers: 2
- Action / - Buy: 2
Freezing: 2
Aquatic: 2
Kin: 1
Wonders: 0

I did find this contest especially hard to judge (though eventually, it was fun). Mostly because for each card it requires you to try to understand 2 different untested mechanics. And then how they would interact. And then compare that to other cards that use two other (usually) different mechanics. So, please forgive me, if I got anything horribly wrong. I went my best guess on how things would work. Additionally, I tried to think about a mechanic was truly needed or there could be a way to do something similar using existing mechanics.

OK, after that:

Honorable Mention: spineflu's Mission (A Time to Preach / A Time to Build) for a 3 mechanic entry
Runners Up: Timinou's Ice Sculptor and Mahowrath's Fair Tide

and the Winner:

Aquila's Relief Aid (Disaster / Aftermath)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2021, 04:35:37 pm »
+2

Ah lovely, thanks very much for your hard work in doing this contest scolapasta, it was worth it for the challenge. I will put up the next contest shortly.

It looks like your commentary for xen3k's Night Traders is half finished?

The statistics for the use of each mechanic seem mostly understandable; Conditions and Trade tokens (Gems as LFN calls them now) are versatile, whilst Kins and Wonders aren't. Freezing could be more versatile than suggested here, though, imo.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2021, 04:57:11 pm »

Ah lovely, thanks very much for your hard work in doing this contest scolapasta, it was worth it for the challenge. I will put up the next contest shortly.

Yeah, once I got around to it, it was fun to think about it. I just have a fairly low level of confidence that my judgements are correct. As with most weeks, it'd be fun to have infinite time and play with all the cards - there weren't any that I felt aversion to.

Thanks - fixed.

The statistics for the use of each mechanic seem mostly understandable; Conditions and Trade tokens (Gems as LFN calls them now) are versatile, whilst Kins and Wonders aren't. Freezing could be more versatile than suggested here, though, imo.

Sure. You probably saw from my commentary, I think in some cases, those two mechanics in particular were used in ways were maybe they weren't necessary. At least from a "can you do something similar with existing mechanics?" way.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:31:57 pm by scolapasta »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2021, 01:36:22 am »

I think freezing was avoided cause it was last weeks challenge, and people probably wanted to design something different.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2021, 01:39:58 am »

hm, yeah my way is pretty weak on its own: if there are other conditions, it could be good, but without it, its MAYBE useful for some resource you need or something. The wayflipping is a neet idea, but doesnt really do a lot. ah well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.