Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #114: Two (or more) for the Price of One  (Read 12067 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #114: Two (or more) for the Price of One
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 03:08:52 pm »
+5

Here's a card I found I had made some time back (tweaked it a bit).

There are 20 Riots in the supply.

It's a self gaining lab, with the important caveat that if you play too many, you won't be able to play anything else (you have to keep the riot under control), so all the cards you draw won't do you good if you overdo it. It works similar to Enchantment except it gives you nothing instead of +1 Card +1 Action.
I allowed for trashing coppers since they'll be useless in a deck like this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 03:13:13 pm by naitchman »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 03:53:34 pm »
+1

Parish
Action - Victory
Cost

You may trash a card from your hand. If you do gain a Parish

When you trash this +3

Edit - Decided to add some of my thoughts behind the card.
- I decided to make a card that scored points when you trashed it, whilst at the same time gaining another copy as a replacement.
- To avoid the on trash clause being potentially redundant if there are no trashers in the kingdom, the card itself should be a trasher.
- I added the gain clause to when it trashes, not when it is trashed. I felt the on trash clause is interesting enough and has obvious synergies with trash for benefit cards and cards allow you to gain from the trash. The gain clause gives it that self spamming ability, similar to Rats and Magpie, when used to trash other cards.
- I was very dubious about making the card non terminal or giving it any draw capability. I don't want the potential for monolithic strategies. It can be the centrepiece of a strategy, but it needs the right support
- Later on in my thought processes, I realised it is similar to Distant Lands, except that you trash it to gain the points instead of putting it on your tavern mat. This led me to making it a victory, action card. Unlike Distant Lands, though, I decided the card should also be worth something if it is in your deck at the end of the game, hence 1VP.
- One of the most difficult things I found with this card was pricing it. For a long time I was envisioning a 3 or 4 cost, again it was the similarities with Distand Lands that made me think it should be a 5.

Note - Further edit to add a second dividing line after feedback.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:09:17 pm by xyz123 »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 04:36:21 pm »

Tin
$4 - Treasure

Worth $1 per Copper in play.

You may trash a Copper from your hand to gain a Treasure card costing up to $5.

The self-gaining on this seems to be of very limited use to me.  Its worth $0 if you have no Coppers in play, so once you've trashed your Coppers, it becomes a junk card.  The upgrading would be useful with certain kingdom treasures, or with cost reduction, which would allow you to upgrade a Copper to a Gold, so having one could be handy, but having two wouldn't be very useful most of the time, outside of a few cases like kingdoms with Mountebank
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2021, 05:14:30 pm »
+5

A self-gaining Peddler variant.  You normally need to gain at least 2 of these before the self-gaining kicks in, but once you do, they can potentially multiply quickly, especially in games with strong draw.  The "exactly 1 other Rabbit" provision is to limit the self-gaining, so that most of the time, the self-gaining only kicks in once per turn.  There are, of course, a few situations where it can activate more than once.  If you Throne your second Rabbit, for example, then there's still only 1 other Rabbit in play on the second play.  Likewise, you can use multiple Overlords or Necromancers (or Captain with cost reduction) and gain a Rabbit each time, if you have only one Rabbit in play.  Those command cards can also allow the self-gaining to kick in without gaining a second Rabbit first

I'm debating whether to make it a standard 10-card pile or more than 10, and if more, how many?  More than 10 would also fit nicely with the name, since rabbits can quickly increase their numbers

EDIT: Eliminated the unnecessary dividing line and "when you play"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:41:56 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2021, 09:09:07 pm »

Rabbit
Action
$5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
-
When you play this, if you have exactly 1 other Rabbit in play, gain a Rabbit.

A self-gaining Peddler variant.  You normally need to gain at least 2 of these before the self-gaining kicks in, but once you do, they can potentially multiply quickly, especially in games with strong draw.  The "exactly 1 other Rabbit" provision is to limit the self-gaining, so that most of the time, the self-gaining only kicks in once per turn.  There are, of course, a few situations where it can activate more than once.  If you Throne your second Rabbit, for example, then there's still only 1 other Rabbit in play on the second play.  Likewise, you can use multiple Overlords or Necromancers (or Captain with cost reduction) and gain a Rabbit each time, if you have only one Rabbit in play.  Those command cards can also allow the self-gaining to kick in without gaining a second Rabbit first

I'm debating whether to make it a standard 10-card pile or more than 10, and if more, how many?  More than 10 would also fit nicely with the name, since rabbits can quickly increase their numbers

It shouldn't have the dividing line, and it shouldn't say "when you play this." Both parts of it are on-play.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:14 pm »

Rabbit
Action
$5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
-
When you play this, if you have exactly 1 other Rabbit in play, gain a Rabbit.

It shouldn't have the dividing line, and it shouldn't say "when you play this." Both parts of it are on-play.

Oh, right, of course.  Not sure why I was thinking it needed to have a dividing line
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 01:01:23 am »

new submission: hopefully this isnt terrible

nope this didn't work either

Edit 1

Now you cant gain other cards when Antiques run out, and its basically a curse then. I tried to make it so you don't necessarily want to autopile

Edit 2: Its no longer a cantrip, but if the game is 3 piled, y
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:43:48 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2021, 01:29:13 am »
+6

I'd say Cantrip Workshop is already pushing it for , and this is better than that by a massive margin.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 02:39:44 am »
+4

Consulate • $5 • Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
-
When you buy this, gain another Consulate, then each other player gains a Consulate.
twelve to the pile in 2, 3 and 5player. fifteen to the pile in 4p, fourteen in 6p.
will pile in
4 buys in 2p
3 buys in 3 + 4p
2 buys in 5+6p

Lost City version of Port that also gives everyone else the card.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:55:52 am by spineflu »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2021, 02:41:32 am »

What's it worth with no empty piles?  Granted, that situation wouldn't happen very often, since the self-gaining would usually ensure that its own pile empties before the end of the game (and being a cantrip workshop, most of the time you'd probably end up with more than one empty pile, and 3-pile endings would probably be quite common), but it's certainly not impossible (for example, someone Possessing you could use Way of the Butterfly on your Antique on the same turn they buy the last Province, causing its pile to no longer be empty)

(Also, minor grammatical nitpick: it should be "there are" with the numbers 2 and 3)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:50:52 am by mxdata »
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2021, 02:54:17 am »
+2

What's it worth with no empty piles?  Granted, that situation wouldn't happen very often, since the self-gaining would usually ensure that its own pile empties before the end of the game (and being a cantrip workshop, most of the time you'd probably end up with more than one empty pile, and 3-pile endings would probably be quite common), but it's certainly not impossible (for example, someone Possessing you could use Way of the Butterfly on your Antique on the same turn they buy the last Province, causing its pile to no longer be empty)

(Also, minor grammatical nitpick: it should be "there are" with the numbers 2 and 3)

The Province pile would still be empty though, right?  I don’t see any situation where the game ends without empty piles.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 03:06:41 am »
+1

Edited:

Suburb
Action - $3

+1 Card
+1 Action
If you played two or more actions this turn, +1 Action
---
When you buy this, gain another Suburb.

There are 12 Suburbs in the supply.

I kept the two half villages equals one village concept, and increased its flexibility.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 03:09:02 am »
+2

Consulate • $5 • Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
-
When you buy this, gain another Consulate, then each other player gains a Consulate.
twelve to the pile.

In a 3-player game, the pile gets emptied after it is bought three times, right?  In a 4-player game, the third time it is bought, three players will get stiffed, since there won’t be enough left in the supply.  I’m wondering if the pile size should vary based on the player count, as it could otherwise be quite swingy.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2021, 03:32:47 am »
+1

The Province pile would still be empty though, right?  I don’t see any situation where the game ends without empty piles.

Oh, right, of course.  Sorry, brain's not working properly today.  Which also means that it's rarely going to be worth the full 5 VP, since most of the time you'll end with either 2 empty piles (Provinces and Antiques) or 3+ in a game that ends on piles
They/them

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2021, 04:01:04 am »
+4

Village of Secrets - Action Night, $4 cost.
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card and +2 Actions. Otherwise, you may play an Action card from your hand to gain a copy of it.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2021, 04:19:43 am »
+1

Rabbit
Action
$5
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
If you have exactly 1 other Rabbit in play, gain a Rabbit.
This seems very reminiscent of this card from a previous contest:
EDIT: Updated Version

Quote from: Rabbit
$4 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
If you have exactly 2 Rabbits in play, +$2 and gain a Rabbit.
-
When any player gains a Rabbit, you may return this from your hand to its pile for +2 Cards and +$1.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2021, 05:04:36 am »
+6

Locket - $4
Treasure

Gain a card costing up to $4. If it is an Action or Treasure that you have no copies of in play, play it.

Version history:

This one might give instructions to play Victory cards and Curses. That weirdness is avoided with the new, clumsier, wording.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:13:26 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2021, 05:56:08 am »
+1

This is my card for the contest:

Small precision: Yes, it's intended to work during clean-up; it's even the main point of the card. Even if it's clear on the effect I still say it since the precedent has been the opposite.

It's a sort of Workshop with some litle twist: you don't have to spend action on it, you gain the card at the end of your turn (usualy) and you may play it as a treasure if you really need $2.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Shael

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2021, 06:04:54 am »
+1

Parish
Action - Victory
Cost
You may trash a card from your hand. If you do gain a Parish

When you trash this +3
I think parrish should have a second dividng line (one between the vp and the action and an other between the action and the on-trash effect)

Wait, this can easily autopile right?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:06:41 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Shael

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2021, 06:09:51 am »

Locket - $4
Treasure

Gain a card costing up to $4. If it is an Action or Treasure that you have no copies of in play, play it.
Wow, this card is really cool; it's a verry ellegant one! Great job here!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:35:25 am by Shael »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2021, 06:51:14 am »

Consulate • $5 • Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
-
twelve to the pile.

In a 3-player game, the pile gets emptied after it is bought three times, right?  In a 4-player game, the third time it is bought, three players will get stiffed, since there won’t be enough left in the supply.  I’m wondering if the pile size should vary based on the player count, as it could otherwise be quite swingy.

yes to the 3p game question, "yeah i can probably do that" to the 4p question; since 5p/6p wasnt much of a change either i "fixed" the numbers for those as well in the OP
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:54:34 am by spineflu »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:05 am »

Edit 1

Now you cant gain other cards when Antiques run out, and its basically a curse then. I tried to make it so you don't necessarily want to autopile

update

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:50 am »

I intended that part: question is if you want to with the new edit

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2021, 10:59:41 am »
+1

I intended that part: question is if you want to with the new edit

Even with the old version, you still wouldn't want to auto pile either right? Since more empty piles made it worth less.

Also, there *is* a way to end the game with 0 empty supply piles with Fleet. i.e. end the game, then on the fleet turn play ambassador and return two Provinces, handing out one. Not sure *why* you'd want to (with official cards at least), since that's an 18 point swing against you, but technically it's possible.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 11:01:53 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2021, 11:07:35 am »

Edit 1

update

It's an improvement over the previous version, but it seems very tricky to play with because of the self-gaining.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for error, and so I'm not sure the potential payoff is worth it.  You would need to pick these up at a stage where you can get optimal use out of Antique, i.e. ensure that you can play some to gain additional Antiques and some other useful cards without emptying any piles. Your opponents could easily sabotage you if that's what you are going for.

I guess in some situations you would get Antiques early and go for a rush and not care about ending up with dead cards, or you could just pick them up as cheap Duchies late in the game if it's safe enough, but it seems like the card will otherwise have fairly limited utility. 

I think you've gone from a version that was overpowered to one that is perhaps very situational.  I like the overall concept but you would probably need to playtest a few versions to get to the right balance. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.