Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Contest week 9: too COOL for school  (Read 10099 times)

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Contest week 9: too COOL for school
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 02:17:47 pm »
+2

Let's do a Hireling-variant...

Permafrost
$5 - Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, choose one: Freeze a card from your hand with 3 Ice tokens; add 2 Ice tokens to one of your Frozen cards; or remove 1 Ice token from one of your Frozen cards.
(This stays in play.)

So its intended purpose is to be able to pull cards out of your deck (similar to Exile), and a single Permafrost in play can effectively keep 2 cards out of your deck.  But I added an extra option to it, to optionally work with other Ice token cards, that if one of your cards is temporarily frozen, this card can help thaw it quicker (since permafrost is thawing with global warming!)
he/him

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 04:25:19 pm »

I actually agree that it's better at 2$

bootymancer

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 03:08:33 am »
+1

Interesting mechanic!
For my submission I wanted to explore the idea of how something differs prior to being frozen/after being frozen. Here's what I landed on (hope a split-pile is acceptable):

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
If there are no Mammoths left in the supply, freeze this with 3 Ice tokens.
-
When you would thaw this, trash it instead. You may gain a Discovery.
Using 'thaw' here in place of something like 'remove the last Ice token from'.

Which becomes...

$2
Worth an additional $2 if you have any Ice tokens in play.
'any Ice tokens in play' could easily be 'any cards with Ice tokens on them' or 'any cards of your Frozen mat', etc. if necessary.

Standard 5/5 split. Mammoths run free until they are extinct. A frozen Mammoth makes for a truly valuable Discovery.
Funnily enough, freezing a Mammoth through other means allows a player to potentially gain a Discovery before it is uncovered in the supply.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 08:08:38 am »
+2

Interesting mechanic!
For my submission I wanted to explore the idea of how something differs prior to being frozen/after being frozen. Here's what I landed on (hope a split-pile is acceptable):

+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
If there are no Mammoths left in the supply, freeze this with 3 Ice tokens.
-
When you would thaw this, trash it instead. You may gain a Discovery.
Using 'thaw' here in place of something like 'remove the last Ice token from'.

Which becomes...

$2
Worth an additional $2 if you have any Ice tokens in play.
'any Ice tokens in play' could easily be 'any cards with Ice tokens on them' or 'any cards of your Frozen mat', etc. if necessary.

Standard 5/5 split. Mammoths run free until they are extinct. A frozen Mammoth makes for a truly valuable Discovery.
Funnily enough, freezing a Mammoth through other means allows a player to potentially gain a Discovery before it is uncovered in the supply.

This looks like a really cool interaction between the two cards (and very thematic), but I see a couple problems. Freezing the Mammoth with 3 Ice tokens is already quite the penalty for a $4 Peddler variant, if you get it back after. But having to trash it seems unnecessarily harsh. For this card alone, I'd recommend removing the trash clause.

However, removing the trash clause from Mammoth makes Discovery way too strong as it will almost always be worth $4 so I don't know what to do about that.

On a different note, your comment about freezing a Mammoth in a different way could allow you to get a Discovery before it is uncovered is not correct under current rules. Gain is defined as "from the Supply to your discard pile" unless specified otherwise. And even though all cards in Supply Piles seem to be in the Supply, only the top card of any Supply Pile can be gained. So when a Mammoth thaws, the instruction to gain a Discovery wil look at the top of the pile and if it doesn't find any, that instruction will fail and do nothing.
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2021, 12:51:55 pm »
+2

My Submission:
(Ice House; updated to improve wording)

Quote from: Ice House
ICE HOUSE       
ACTION
Choose a card you have Frozen. + per Ice token on it.

When you gain this, Freeze it 5 times.

A Poor House variant, this provides terminal money in variable amounts. If you Buy them at regular intervals, they can both be the source of the Ice and the mechanism to cash in on it. But if it's the only card with the Frozen mechanic, should they run out, you could end up stuck with a lot of dead cards (and the last one you buy will never be useful).

Old version:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:14:26 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mutated

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 12:59:06 pm »

My Submission:

ICE HOUSE       
ACTION
+ per Ice token on one Frozen card you have (your choice).

This is gained Frozen with 5 Ice tokens.

A Poor House variant, this provides terminal money in variable amounts. If you Buy them at regular intervals, they can both be the source of the Ice and the mechanism to cash in on it. But if it's the only card with the Frozen mechanic, should they run out, you could end up stuck with a lot of dead cards (and the last one you buy will never be useful).

Small wording suggestion: instead of "This is gained Frozen with 5 Ice tokens", you could use "When you gain this, freeze it with 5 ice tokens" (or "freeze it 5 times" or whatever language). I think it's a little easier to read and it's more clear to me how it interacts with other alternative gains/when-gain triggers.

I like the concept either way!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 01:07:45 pm »

I was going to suggest a wording change for that card, but it's for the upper half. "Choose a card you own. +1$ per Ice token on it."

(edited 'you own')
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 01:10:51 pm by silverspawn »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 01:09:54 pm »
+1

My Submission:

ICE HOUSE       
ACTION
+ per Ice token on one Frozen card you have (your choice).

This is gained Frozen with 5 Ice tokens.

Small wording suggestion: instead of "This is gained Frozen with 5 Ice tokens", you could use "When you gain this, freeze it with 5 ice tokens" (or "freeze it 5 times" or whatever language). I think it's a little easier to read and it's more clear to me how it interacts with other alternative gains/when-gain triggers.

I like the concept either way!

To be fair, in Gazbag's original post the cards use the wording "This is gained frozen with X ice tokens" (See frigid village and Glacier). Then again, there is some wording inconsistency in Gazbag's original post (sometimes it says frozen with x ice tokens, and sometimes it says to set the card aside and put x ice tokens on it).

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 01:50:04 pm »
+5

So this definitely feels like a 0.1 version, but I want to get it out there to get some feedback:

Winter Village - Victory - $3*
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, freeze this with an Ice token for each $1 you overpaid.

When you remove an Ice token from this, choose one: +1 Villager or +1 Coffers

Basically, the freeze mechanic seems ripe for something with overpay in order to delay it getting into your deck. And the main reason you would pay extra is if it were a stop card, I think. The villager or coffers is a little extra bonus.

Things that could need tweaking:
• number of VP this is worth
• cost
• the extra bonus*

* a different take on this I'm considering is +1 VP token instead. So it would be a victory card that you could make worth a lot more and help keep out of your deck, BUT you risk it not getting to that value, if the game ends before you collect all the tokens. The cost of this version felt a lot harder to calibrate so I figured I'd start with the posted version. But please comment on what you think of the VP version too, if that feels like a better bonus here.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2021, 05:39:45 pm »
+1

Frozen Mine
Action - Reaction
You may trash a Treasure you have in play, or in your hand, to gain a Silver to your hand.
----
When you gain a card, you may Freeze it 4 times to play this from your hand.

A mini-Mine that has some utility. Early game it upgrades your Coppers to Silver, later it freezes Green and Junk to keep the deck clean. Probably not a card I would ever buy more than one of. Feedback is welcome.

Edit: Improved wording of the reaction part to be less ambiguous and to use the "Freeze" wording (thanks to emtzalex). Changed price to $3. When compared to Amulet, this seems fair, but it's usefulness late game really relies on the freezing ability of the reaction to temp Exile Green and junk. Could change this to $2 again if it feels weak.

Old Version
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:57:53 pm by Xen3k »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2021, 10:47:27 pm »

So this definitely feels like a 0.1 version, but I want to get it out there to get some feedback:

Winter Village - Victory - $3*
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, freeze this with an Ice token for each $1 you overpaid.

When you remove an Ice token from this, choose one: +1 Villager or +1 Coffers

Basically, the freeze mechanic seems ripe for something with overpay in order to delay it getting into your deck. And the main reason you would pay extra is if it were a stop card, I think. The villager or coffers is a little extra bonus.

Things that could need tweaking:
• number of VP this is worth
• cost
• the extra bonus*

* a different take on this I'm considering is +1 VP token instead. So it would be a victory card that you could make worth a lot more and help keep out of your deck, BUT you risk it not getting to that value, if the game ends before you collect all the tokens. The cost of this version felt a lot harder to calibrate so I figured I'd start with the posted version. But please comment on what you think of the VP version too, if that feels like a better bonus here.

I kinda feel like the ability to overpay for freezing would be beneficial on its own with Victory cards, without adding extra benefits
They/them

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2021, 11:35:03 pm »
+2

Ah, seems someone has beaten me to this name while I was playtesting it. Oh well, here is my submission:

A cantrip delayed workshop, but one that can speed up its gains the more you play. Keep your frozen cards stored in the Ice house until they're ready to be gained!

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 12:58:22 am »
+1

Frozen Village
Action
$5
Freeze this with 3 Ice tokens
-
When you remove an Ice token from this, +1 Action

Essentially a sort of quasi-Duration card using the Ice mechanic.  On the turn you play it, you get no benefit, but on the next 3 turns, you get a Village effect at the start of turn

New version:

Frozen Village
Action
$5
+1 Action
Freeze this with 2 Ice tokens
-
When you gain this, freeze it with 1 Ice token. When you remove an Ice token from this, +1 Card +1 Action

It has a Ghost Town effect on two sequential turns and, like Ghost Town, takes effect on the turn immediately after gaining it.  Unlike Ghost Town, and also unlike conventional Duration cards, it gets discarded at the start of the last turn that it has an effect, thanks to the Ice mechanic, and can thus potentially be drawn back into your hand on that same turn
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:22:42 am by mxdata »
They/them

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2021, 01:15:39 am »

Frozen Village
Action
$5
-

Essentially a sort of quasi-Duration card using the Ice mechanic.  On the turn you play it, you get no benefit, but on the next 3 turns, you get a Village effect at the start of turn
This looks weaker and more expensive than Fishing Village.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2021, 01:25:14 am »

Frozen Village
Action
$5
-

Fishing Village only lasts one turn, though, and this lasts 3
They/them

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2021, 01:31:42 am »

Frozen Village
Action
$5
-

This provides net +2 Actions, spread over 3-4 turns (depends on whether you draw into it the turn you discard it), whereas Fishing Village provides net +2 Actions +2 Coins, spread over 2 turns.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 01:37:19 am »

Frozen Village
Action
$5
-

This provides net +2 Actions, spread over 3-4 turns (depends on whether you draw into it the turn you discard it), whereas Fishing Village provides net +2 Actions +2 Coins, spread over 2 turns.
That's a good point
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 03:19:21 am »
+2

Frozen Village
Action
$5
-

New version:

Frozen Village
Action
$5
+1 Action
Freeze this with 2 Ice tokens
-
When you gain this, freeze it with 1 Ice token. When you remove an Ice token from this, +1 Card +1 Action
Made it stronger, now it's non-terminal the turn you play it, plus it also gives an extra card at the start of each turn, and works on the turn immediately after buying it.  It's thus similar to Ghost Town, except acting over two turns. One major difference is that, due to the Ice mechanic, it gets discarded at the start of the last turn that it has an effect, and thus may potentially be drawn back into your hand on the same turn.  Three Ice tokens would probably be overpowered with these stronger effects, so I reduced it to two.
They/them

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2021, 03:45:39 am »
+1

I like this version. The vanillas, Lost City with a Village on top look crazy at first but Archive is a DoubleLab and not overpowered due to the delay. Managing to draw into this during the very turn you discard it would be pretty sweet.
In general that is a nice feature of these cards, unlike Durations they get discarded at the start of the turn.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2021, 06:12:56 am »
+2

I love this mechanic so much, and it is so fun reading everyone's ideas on it.  I was going to choose this mechanic for the contest the week I ran it, but I thought it would just be too on the nose for me.  I also intentionally avoided picking it because I was hopeful someone else would so I could enter and enjoy the cards without having to worry about judging them.

Yay! Everyone's ideas are so good.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2021, 10:11:12 am »
+1

Frozen Mine
Action - Reaction
You may trash a Treasure you have in play, or in your hand, to gain a Silver to your hand.
----
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand to set that card aside with 4 Ice tokens on it.

A mini-Mine that has some utility. Early game it upgrades your Coppers to Silver, later it freezes Green and Junk to keep the deck clean. Probably not a card I would ever buy more than one of. Feedback is welcome.

This seems too cheap. It can mostly mimic the benefits of a mine while providing some benefit in the later game. Also, you probably don't need the in play clause because it's very rare to have treasures in play during action phase (mine just allows trashing from hand).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:12:28 am by naitchman »

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2021, 10:20:16 am »
+1

Frozen Mine
Action - Reaction
----
When you gain a card, you may play this from your hand to set that card aside with 4 Ice tokens on it.

This seems too cheap. It can mostly mimic the benefits of a mine while providing some benefit in the later game. Also, you probably don't need the in play clause because it's very rare to have treasures in play during action phase (mine just allows trashing from hand).

You do need the "in play" because of the reaction that lets you play it when you gain a card.

But I also agree that it's too cheap. I would think it needs to cost at least $4. Otherwise it's almost a no-brainer to open with 2 of them.
he/him

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2021, 11:15:20 am »
+2

Frozen Mine
Action - Reaction
----

You do need the "in play" because of the reaction that lets you play it when you gain a card.

But I also agree that it's too cheap. I would think it needs to cost at least $4. Otherwise it's almost a no-brainer to open with 2 of them.

Now that you mention it's not exactly clear how the reaction works. If I gain a card, can I play frozen mine for free (and trasha treasure for a silver) and freeze the gained card? This just makes it even more powerful.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2021, 11:45:56 am »
+1

Frozen Mine
Action - Reaction
----

Now that you mention it's not exactly clear how the reaction works. If I gain a card, can I play frozen mine for free (and trasha treasure for a silver) and freeze the gained card? This just makes it even more powerful.

Yeah pretty sure that's what it means; it's the reason it allows you to trash from in-play; because when you gain a card normally during your buy phase, you'll play this from hand to trash a Copper that you had played.

But early on, when you're more likely to have Copper in play, you don't want to freeze your incoming card. So freezing the card is a penalty, but it's awkward because normally "you may do X to do Y" is used when Y is something you want to do, and X is the price you have to pay to do it. Here, it's the opposite... you want to do X, but doing so would force you to also do Y.

Later in the game when you want to freeze your incoming green cards, you just play this from hand as a reaction and choose to do nothing on-play (since the on-play is "may"), because you likely don't have Copper in play anyway.

The other awkward thing is that you gain the Silver to your hand, but if you played this as a reaction after buying a card, you can't play that Silver.

So I think the reaction works as an interesting decision; but I do think it's weird to have "You may do X to do Y" be used when Y is a penalty.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2021, 12:05:20 pm »
+1

Frozen Mine
Action - Reaction
----

Mine would be weak at $4, and without the Reaction this is significantly weaker than Mine.
About the Reaction, being able to quais-Exile green you gain is pretty sweet in the endgame, but the ability to Mine Coppers into Silvers is largely irrelevant back then.

So I don't know how strong it is but it is definitely far below the power level of a $5. So it is a $2, $3 or a $4.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.