Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Contest week 9: too COOL for school  (Read 10234 times)

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Contest week 9: too COOL for school
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2021, 08:58:15 pm »
+2

One possible use I had toyed with, but ended up not going with in my entry, is the idea of a below-the-line effect "when you remove the last Ice token from this, play it".  This would probably work best combined with a "when you gain this, freeze it X times", but it could also be done as part of a split pile where the other half allows you to freeze an Action card (otherwise it would all too often show up in games without any way to freeze it).  It seems to me that that could have some good potential, perhaps a kind of "time-bomb" attack?

Another possibility might be an "underpay" mechanism.  E.g., a card that costs $X, but you can reduce the cost by freezing it
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2021, 09:02:27 pm »
+1

Quote from: Woods and Frozen Lake
Woods and Frozen Lake -- $6
Night - Duration - Attack
Until your next turn, when any other player discards an Action card from play, Freeze it twice.
At the start of your next turn, gain a Horse.

On that front, I came up with this Haunted Woods variant, which Freezes your opponent's Action cards (and is a reference to a much less commercial piece of culture).

If I'm reading that correctly, that would cause all the Action cards they played to be Frozen?  If so, that would be a massive hit to deck-drawing engines!
They/them

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2021, 01:37:53 pm »

Judgment has been posted! Apologies for taking time

Thanks for the great judging, fika monster, and for the feedback on my card.

I do have one request. Would you consider naming a runner-up, or one or two finalists? In the Hall of Fame I have posted winners and
runners-up/finalists for each contest. It's certainly not required, and there is no hurry, but if you had a sense of the one or two cards that were just behind Winter Estate, I can put them in the HoF.

I've been meaning to say thank you so much for creating and keeping the Hall of Fame post up to date! You did miss 3rd place on the "aquatic" theme week. It was your entry, so I'm thinking you may have left if off on purpose? But no reason to be humble, 3rd place is great and official and deserves a spot on the HoF.

You're very welcome. I am enjoying this contest and like having a centralized place to look back on previous weeks.

Regarding the Aquatic contest and the 3rd place entry, when I was first putting the HoF I looked at the one for the WDC, and it seemed to only include the winner and second place, unless the finalists were listed as a group, so after your Week (which did not rank the three finalists), I only included two for Weeks 2-5. Since then we have had more judgings with multiple finalists (or with multi-card winners), so I will probably go back and add 3rd place finishers where applicable (but I didn't want to start it with my card).
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.