Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!  (Read 16538 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2021, 02:06:28 pm »

honestly there is no reason why you would ever want this card even in 2p, unless there are other cards depleting Ruins. having to play it 5 times before it works is too high a price for the payoff

Yeah, I agree.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2021, 02:09:50 pm »
+1

honestly there is no reason why you would ever want this card even in 2p, unless there are other cards depleting Ruins. having to play it 5 times before it works is too high a price for the payoff

You also exile a ruins on gain, though. So in 2p, you buy two and just need to play each one twice to get it powered up. And once powered, a (likely) flexible Village / Lab / Peddler for 3 is frankly pretty good. (also you can buy more of them then and your opponent can only stop you by gaining themselves what are effectively Ruined Villages)

I do agree that this could work at 2p, and your opponent would likely have to match; while at 3+p your it may take too long with the 10x extra ruins to contend with.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2021, 02:14:49 pm »
+1

I love this card but it is significantly stronger in 2P than in 3P.

why?

Because the Ruins run out faster in 2P, because there's less of them in the pile and Reconstruction depletes the pile at the same rate regardless of player count.

However, I disagree and think it's equally balanced regardless of player count. City and Animal Fair don't do anything to help empty piles, and piles run out faster with higher player counts. Likewise, the fact that there are more players potentially using Reconstruction helps offset the bigger Ruins pile.

If only one person buys it, it's definitely much stronger in 2P, but if everyone buys a copy, it's not that much stronger, I don't think.  In 2P, if both players buy one copy, it takes a total of 4 plays to deplete the Ruins pile (starts off with 10 cards, 2 are Exiled with buys, leaving eight), which would average out at 2 plays per player, in 3P, if all three players buy one copy, it takes a total of 9 plays ((20-3)/2 = 8.5), 3 plays per player

Actually, I'd argue that it might be *stronger* in 3P than in 2P for this reason.  If each player buys one copy, then in 2P, assuming an even split of plays, each player will have 5 Ruins in their Exile mat.  In 3P, each player will have 7 Ruins in their Exile mat.  In the later scenario, there's a greater chance of having a better variety of Ruins

However, the biggest flaw that I see (especially for this particular contest) is that this card won't play the same for everyone in most cases.  Even if each player buys one copy and plays it the same number of turns before the Ruins pile is empty, so that they have the same number of Ruins on their mat, it's improbable that they'll have the same Ruins on their mat.  This means that each person will have a different set of options for how to play it
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:16:15 pm by mxdata »
They/them

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2021, 02:17:36 pm »

Reconstruction has some similarity to my Kingsman card and its associated Equipment cards, which I have presented here (and which are unfortunately ignored). In a similar way, I would try to gradually upgrade Reconstruction, i.e. use Ruins already before the pile is empty. It's power then increases over time with more Ruins in Exile. Don't ask me about the details...

Edit: I just saw this:

However, the biggest flaw that I see (especially for this particular contest) is that this card won't play the same for everyone in most cases.  Even if each player buys one copy and plays it the same number of turns before the Ruins pile is empty, so that they have the same number of Ruins on their mat, it's improbable that they'll have the same Ruins on their mat.  This means that each person will have a different set of options for how to play it

This makes it hard to fit to the rules of this contest round.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:21:03 pm by gambit05 »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2021, 02:48:37 pm »
+1

You also exile a ruins on gain, though.

I think my reading comprehension suffers if I'm in a bad mood. Tbh that makes it much better. In a functioning deck, you can buy two, play them just once for +1 Action, then buy two more, and there's four Lab+ cards for you. So actually I think it's fine.

As for the 3P thing, you could just make it Exile one ruin per player in the game

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2021, 04:15:05 pm »
+1

I love this card but it is significantly stronger in 2P than in 3P.

why?

Because the Ruins run out faster in 2P, because there's less of them in the pile and Reconstruction depletes the pile at the same rate regardless of player count.

However, I disagree and think it's equally balanced regardless of player count. City and Animal Fair don't do anything to help empty piles, and piles run out faster with higher player counts. Likewise, the fact that there are more players potentially using Reconstruction helps offset the bigger Ruins pile.

Reconstruction will be fine for this round.  I had envisaged that cards would have the same effect for all players, but that wasn’t clearly specified in the OP and I won’t be docking points for not following an unwritten rule.  Technically, this meets the requirement of the activation applying to all copies of the card and all players once a condition is met (even though the activated version can be different for each player in this case).

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2021, 06:43:29 pm »

If only one person buys it, it's definitely much stronger in 2P, but if everyone buys a copy, it's not that much stronger, I don't think.  In 2P, if both players buy one copy, it takes a total of 4 plays to deplete the Ruins pile (starts off with 10 cards, 2 are Exiled with buys, leaving eight), which would average out at 2 plays per player, in 3P, if all three players buy one copy, it takes a total of 9 plays ((20-3)/2 = 8.5), 3 plays per player

Actually, I'd argue that it might be *stronger* in 3P than in 2P for this reason.  If each player buys one copy, then in 2P, assuming an even split of plays, each player will have 5 Ruins in their Exile mat.  In 3P, each player will have 7 Ruins in their Exile mat.  In the later scenario, there's a greater chance of having a better variety of Ruins

Adding in 4P, there are (30-4)/2 = 13 players required, which is just over 3 per player, again if everyone buys 1. And then there are 7-8 on average on each Exile mat, compared to 6-7 in 3P and 5 in 2P. In any of those, I'd definitely buy a 2nd to try and better the split if my first couple ruins aren't too favourable. It also gives me more potential Peddlers or Labs for $3.

Someone suggested exiling number of ruins based on number of players... I think that gives too much 1st player advantage, especially in larger games. Waiting 1 extra turn to "activate" is offset by likely having more choices of what to use after that point.

The bigger concern, IMO, in 3P or 4P (or worse,  5-6P) is if not everyone buys them. Then 1 or 2 players have to use up even more turns (and probably more buys) to activate the cards. An alternative could be to allow paying 1 ruins from Exile right away and if the ruins pile is empty, then they can play a different (or maybe even differently named) ruins.

Outside of this contest, I may even suggest giving a choice of Exiling 2 from the Supply or playing a 2nd from Exile (also allowing the play of 1 as above)... though this would likely push the cost to $4.
he/him

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2021, 02:15:46 am »
+3

Beginner
cost $4 - Action
Trash a card from your hand.
Gain a card costing up to $2-per-empty-supply-pile more than it.

For example, if no pile is empty, when you trash a Curse, you cannot gain an Estate. If 4 piles are empty, you can gain Province.

Beginner
cost $5 - Action
Trash a card from your hand.
Gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
Gain another copy of it per empty supply pile.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:52:32 am by majiponi »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2021, 03:46:25 am »

This looks extremely weak. The time in which no Supply piles are empty is usually longer than the time in which 2 or more piles are empty. So this is a terminal trasher for a long time. We know from Trading Route how bad that is.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2021, 05:41:34 am »
+1

Theatre "plays the part" of whatever cards are missing from the supply, be it draw cards, villages, or extra buys. If your kingdom is missing draw, this is a lab for $5, missing +actions, this is a village at $3, lost city for $6, market square for $3, etc. The more the supply lacks, the stronger, and more expensive, this card is. Meaning on boards with draw, actions, and buys, you can buy this as a cantrip for $2, empty the respective piles, and then this card effectively becomes the card you just emptied.

I rolled 50 sample kingdoms to get a quick feel for the number of conditions that one would expect Theatre to have met at the start of the game in any given kingdom. In 22 boards, none of the three conditions were met (there were draw, village, and +buy cards in the supply). In 20, one was met. In 7, two were met. And in only 1 were there no cards with +2 cards, +2 actions, or +1 buy. This means that in a plurality of games, this starts out as a cantrip, with room to get stronger as supplies empty. On average this card costs ~$3.5 at the start of the game.

This card is one taken from my Industrialization expansion, found here, I hope that is acceptable as to the fan card contest rules.

I remember this card from when you presented it in your set expansion thread. I like it more than the last time, but I am not sure whether you've changed something.

How do you count optional, conditional and hidden (covered cards in mixed piles) abilities? I think, I have asked the latter part the last time and wasn't happy with your definition that hidden cards are not in the Supply, or something like that.

Yes, the card has been changed since the last time you commented I believe. I made it explicitly refer to text on the card, which solves the concern you were having. As to your second point, this is not my definition and is not ambiguous. Hidden cards are not in the Supply. The Supply consists of all the cards a player is able to buy in a game, and split piles explicitly state that only the top card of a pile can be bought or gained. The wiki even states "although the entirety of any Supply pile is physically part of the Supply, only the top card of any pile is considered to be 'in the Supply'." Every other card that references the Supply (Overlord, Lurker, etc) without exception doesn't consider anything but the top card of a pile as part of the Supply, and there is nothing in the wording of Theatre that would suggest any other reading, so I don't think there is any issue here.

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2021, 03:47:17 pm »
+4

Split pile: 5 Boroughs on top of 5 Town Halls.

Borough
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.
If Town Hall is on top of its Supply pile, +1 Card.
If its Supply pile is empty, +2 Cards.
Town Hall
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$1 per differently named Action card you have in play.

Upd: rewording, added images, old version:
Upd2: nerfed Town Hall to give $1 per unique card
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:50:18 pm by grep »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2021, 06:49:21 pm »

Theatre "plays the part" of whatever cards are missing from the supply, be it draw cards, villages, or extra buys. If your kingdom is missing draw, this is a lab for $5, missing +actions, this is a village at $3, lost city for $6, market square for $3, etc. The more the supply lacks, the stronger, and more expensive, this card is. Meaning on boards with draw, actions, and buys, you can buy this as a cantrip for $2, empty the respective piles, and then this card effectively becomes the card you just emptied.

I rolled 50 sample kingdoms to get a quick feel for the number of conditions that one would expect Theatre to have met at the start of the game in any given kingdom. In 22 boards, none of the three conditions were met (there were draw, village, and +buy cards in the supply). In 20, one was met. In 7, two were met. And in only 1 were there no cards with +2 cards, +2 actions, or +1 buy. This means that in a plurality of games, this starts out as a cantrip, with room to get stronger as supplies empty. On average this card costs ~$3.5 at the start of the game.

This card is one taken from my Industrialization expansion, found here, I hope that is acceptable as to the fan card contest rules.

I remember this card from when you presented it in your set expansion thread. I like it more than the last time, but I am not sure whether you've changed something.

How do you count optional, conditional and hidden (covered cards in mixed piles) abilities? I think, I have asked the latter part the last time and wasn't happy with your definition that hidden cards are not in the Supply, or something like that.

Yes, the card has been changed since the last time you commented I believe. I made it explicitly refer to text on the card, which solves the concern you were having. As to your second point, this is not my definition and is not ambiguous. Hidden cards are not in the Supply. The Supply consists of all the cards a player is able to buy in a game, and split piles explicitly state that only the top card of a pile can be bought or gained. The wiki even states "although the entirety of any Supply pile is physically part of the Supply, only the top card of any pile is considered to be 'in the Supply'." Every other card that references the Supply (Overlord, Lurker, etc) without exception doesn't consider anything but the top card of a pile as part of the Supply, and there is nothing in the wording of Theatre that would suggest any other reading, so I don't think there is any issue here.

I don't know if this disqualifies the card, but it can become worse over-time. For example, Settlers/Bustling village means Theatre could start off as a village and get worse over time when Settlers are done but Bustling village is not.

I like the idea a lot and hope it's still qualified.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2021, 06:55:33 pm »

Borough
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
Town Hall
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$1 per Action card in play

Interesting - draw-to-X plus straight up +cards, so if you have 4 or more cards, it's basically a Necropolis with Borough on top, Village with Town Hall on top, or a Lost City with an empty pile, but with less than 4 cards it's +2 Actions, draw-to-4, draw-to-5, and draw-to-6 respectively.  Neat!
They/them

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2021, 07:00:41 pm »
+1

I don't know if this disqualifies the card, but it can become worse over-time. For example, Settlers/Bustling village means Theatre could start off as a village and get worse over time when Settlers are done but Bustling village is not.

While less likely to happen, this (becoming worse over time) is also true when any of the "empty supply pile" cards and certain combos, like Ambassador, Experiment, Way of the Horse, and Way of the Butterfly.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:03:26 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2021, 07:04:28 pm »

It can also become weaker if Ruined Market or certain Knights are revealed as the top card of their piles, but I won't disqualify it, as split piles and mixed piles won't appear in the majority of Kingdoms.  I mentioned in a different context that I will be flexible with the rules.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2021, 07:55:32 pm »
+3

Borough
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
Town Hall
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Am I correct in assuming that Town Hall counting other players' Action cards is unintentional? If so, it should say "+$1 per Action card you have in play."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2021, 01:54:19 am »

Reconstruction has some similarity to my Kingsman card and its associated Equipment cards, which I have presented here (and which are unfortunately ignored). In a similar way, I would try to gradually upgrade Reconstruction, i.e. use Ruins already before the pile is empty. It's power then increases over time with more Ruins in Exile. Don't ask me about the details...

Edit: I just saw this:

This makes it hard to fit to the rules of this contest round.
I feel like this shouldn't be a problem. The functionality is the same for both players. You wouldn't say that Throne Room plays differently for everyone because everyone has a different deck composition.

The biggest problemI see with Reconstruction is swinginess. It is clearly best with Ruined Library, and if only one player gets that, they'll have a much stronger card for it. I would even say that it' snot worth it to go for Reconstruction unless Ruined Library is the top Ruins.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2021, 02:15:31 am »
+4

Borough is cool but Town Hall gives way way way too much coin. It's common to play 15+ action cards per turn, or even more, meaning Town Hall is like a Fortune that costs $4.

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2021, 10:19:39 am »

Borough
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
Town Hall
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Is Town Hall not the same issue as Wolflover's card "Market Dealer" being that it is not?:

The activation should be irreversible in most cases and not based on transient conditions.
All copies of the card should be activated for all players once the specific trigger is met.

grep

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2021, 11:44:18 am »

Borough
$3 - Action
+2 Actions
Town Hall
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Is Town Hall not the same issue as Wolflover's card "Market Dealer" being that it is not?:

The activation should be irreversible in most cases and not based on transient conditions.
All copies of the card should be activated for all players once the specific trigger is met.

Borough is being activating while the pile is being depleted, Town Hall is just a plain card without activation.
@Gubump: thanks, I'll apply the fix you suggested

grep

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2021, 03:41:20 pm »

Borough is cool but Town Hall gives way way way too much coin. It's common to play 15+ action cards per turn, or even more, meaning Town Hall is like a Fortune that costs $4.
Borough/Town Hall deliberately don't give any +Buys, but agreed after some meditation. Modified to give $1 per unique card: baseline case is Borough + Town Hall => Action Silver that can be replaced with the next Borough; if you manage to insert another Action in between, it's Action Gold.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2021, 04:47:51 pm »
+2

So, this is my participation: a split pile with 5 Voyager and 5 Old Sapphire.

Once you arrive at the midle of the spit pile, Voyager can now give you Old Sapphire if you want (but you still have the choice if you prefer to trash). And then, once the Pile is over; Old Sapphires became better than Gold and you can start to make megaturns with their +Buy and all the Coffers you gather.
(soory btw, the illustration aren't from the same image)
Hope you'll like them and thank you for this WDC.

Edit: no no, voyager never gave +2 Villagers. It was just... an illusion ;D
Whisper: *thank you Gubump*
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:00:12 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2021, 04:53:35 pm »
+4

So, this is my participation: a split pile with 5 Voyager and 5 Old Sapphire.

Once you arrive at the midle of the spit pile, Voyager can now give you Old Sapphire if you want (but you still have the choice if you prefer to trash). And then, once the Pile is over; Old Sapphires became better than Gold and you can start to make megaturns with their +Buy and all the Coffers you gather.
Hope you'll like them and thank you for this WDC.

This Voyager is crazy strong. I'd buy a card with just those Vanilla bonuses for !

Also, I think there's a good reason that no official card reusably gives multiple Villagers for free. Even Recruiter needs to trash cards to get Villagers. I think Voyagers will give you all the Villagers/Actions you'll ever need in the vast majority of kingdoms.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 04:56:13 pm by Gubump »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2021, 08:48:45 pm »
+2

Shouldn't there be a "non-Victory card" limit on Voyager? Rebuild is (more than) all the non-terminal Province trashing I need.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2021, 11:23:38 pm »
+3

Shouldn't there be a "non-Victory card" limit on Voyager? Rebuild is (more than) all the non-terminal Province trashing I need.

Voyager also refers to "Old Saphir" in its text instead of Old Sapphire.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.