Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!  (Read 16545 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 05:21:05 pm »

A Community starts out small but over time grows and adds value to your Dominion:

Community - Victory - $4*

Worth 2 per empty Supply pile.
-
This costs more per empty Supply pile.

When you first get this it isn't worth anything, but as there will always be at least 1 empty pile, it's lowerst end game value is 2 VP.

So at purchase time, you're either getting:
• a double estate for the the price of 2 estates (but in 1 card)
• a Duchy + 1 VP for the cost of a Duchy + $1
• an alternative Province
• some other possibilities for crazy games with extra empty piles (or 5 or 6 player games)

I'm hoping the interesting point is trying to decide when to buy; if you buy them early, you can get what dould eventually be a Province for only $4! But it will junk your deck.

Feedback welcome, always.

It seems you have a bad memory. I've posted this concept last summer and you even commented on that card:

Dike looks fun.

I was wondering if it might be better at 3* (and cost $2 more per empty pile).

So it would be $1 cheaper with no piles, and $1 more expensive with 2 empty piles.

At that time, I replied that I have to test which version is the most interesting and then after ~20 games, I came up with this:

Funny, isn't it?

Ha, I blame pandemic brain! Somewhere in there, I had the thought that someone must have posted something along these lines at some point (I'm at least happy that this version is not EXACTLY the same as your posted version)

So, if you want to enter it this, this week, I will happily retract it and come up with something else.

If you don't want to enter it, I'd like to keep it as I do think it has a lot of potential. But would also retract if you ask me to.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 05:50:57 pm »
+2

I fixed up Viceroy (see my first post), but then decided on a new entry:

Boundary Marker - Action Reserve, $5 cost.
+1 Action
+1 Buy

This turn, cards cost $1 less.
-
When you gain this, you may put it on your Tavern mat. While it's there, when you gain a Victory card costing $5 or more, +1VP per empty Supply pile.
Each mode interacts more with the other here, so I think I prefer it to Viceroy. Choose which mode to use this in on gain; the Tavern mat seems like a convenient, clean way to activate a passive bonus, rather than do it like Hireling.
The Tavern mat mode seems so close to strictly better than Duke...! Hoping the top half helps negate this.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 09:32:30 pm »
+9

It's been long time, but this seemed like a fun challenge to jump back in on. Ram is a Rats-like trasher that duplicates itself and features the same on-trash incentive as Rats, but unlike Rats, you can and often want to trash Rams with other Rams (and yes, it's a normal 10-card pile, not 20). Ram plays similarly to Forager though it usually will not generate coin for several turns. But once you can collide a couple Rams together (which won't take long), the first one you pop gives a Market effect, the second a Grand Market, and so on, while adding more coin to all subsequent Ram plays. There's some great player interaction (a la Forager) of trying to upgrade the effect at just the right time, though you also have to sacrifice one of your own Rams to do it and lose a payload card in the process. As a stop card with mandatory trash (like Forager), it's tricky to have a bunch of these in your deck, which further encourages trashing Rams and upping the reward.

**Edit: I made a minor wording and mechanics change, swapping out "and if you do" for "then" which mirrors Forager and allows you to play this as the last card in your hand (without trashing a card) and still get coin (if applicable).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:53:06 pm by 4est »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 12:18:44 am »
+1

Submission

Study | Action | $2
+2 Cards
If this is the first time you played a Study this turn, +1 Buy
If the Study supply pile is empty, +1 Action

If you manage to empty the Study pile, they turn into Laboratories. If you study hard enough, only! Of course, that means tolerating lots of terminal +2 cards in your deck, which can be difficult. To incentivize this pile emptying, everyone probably wants to buy 1 usually. +2 cards +1 buy is pretty good for $2. And if one player wants to rush and drain as many as they can, they have a +buy to help them do that.

Note, not that this matters, but I mean "study" as in the location. Like, your study. Which is sort of a mini-labaratory of sorts.

Open to feedback, of course! I'm considering adding a setup that increases the number of "Study"s depending on number of players in the game. At 5-6 players, it becomes a rush and greatly favors earlier turn order. Then again, 6 player is a disaster, should I really design around that?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:25:41 am by anordinaryman »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 02:39:00 am »
+1

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one, but does it have to be an added bonus on top of what the card originally did? For instance, I once designed a Curser that did a different type of Attack (discarding Attack instead) once the Curse pile was empty. Is this "upgrading" a card? I don't think it is, because then people could argue which of the two different effects is stronger, whereas an added bonus is almost always better.

Yes, the card should be unequivocally more powerful than before the activation.  It’s fine for the card to do something different (e.g. give you +1 Coffers instead of +$1) as long as it’s clearly better than what it did before.  It’ll be better to go with an added bonus to be on the safe side, but I don’t want to limit people’s creativity so I won’t be too picky about this (and as I type this I realize that someone could argue that +1 Coffers isn’t always better than +$1 e.g. if you want to play the card before Storyteller for draw).

How would Coven stand up to the rules for this contest?

I don’t think Coven should qualify.  In the majority of games, after the play where you dump the Curses from your opponents’ Exile mat to their discard pile, the card becomes weaker, assuming there aren’t cards like Bounty Hunter or Sanctuary in the Kingdom that would allow one to Exile the Curses from their deck.  It also doesn’t apply to all players equally since players may have a different number of Exiled Curses.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2021, 03:09:05 am »
+2

Submission

Study | Action | $2
+2 Cards
If this is the first time you played a Study this turn, +1 Buy
If the Study supply pile is empty, +1 Action
I think this is going to be problematic. There are 2 ways that Study can be activated: Either you are steadily buying Studies, which means you probably have a way to generate a bunch of actions - and then the benefit doesn't do a whole lot, so it was probably not worth it to go for Studies in the first place.

The other scenario is dumping a lot of Studies into your deck in a single turn. If this is feasible, then the player who does it probably gets a game-deciding advantage, and that doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:06:13 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 03:49:24 am »
+2

Centurion
Action - Command
$6
Choose one: +1 Action and trash a card from your hand or play a non-Command Action card from the supply costing up to $1 per differently-named card in the trash, leaving it there.

A command card with a twist.  Instead of emulating cards within a specific price range, its power depends on how many different cards are in the trash.  And to ensure that cards go into the trash, it can non-terminally trash one card.  So, early in the game, you're probably going to be using it primarily for the trashing (unless there's other trashing available), in which case it functions like an overpriced Goatherd without the ability to draw.  However, once there's several different cards in the trash, it can be a strong emulator.  In most kingdoms it'll be pretty easy to get this at least as strong as Band of Misfits (which would require only 4 differently-named cards, for example, Copper, Estate and two other cheap cards, a Curse and Silver if nothing else) or Overlord (which requires a fifth card).  In kingdoms with Shelters and/or Looters, it can quickly become very powerful.  Also, like Overlord and Captain, but unlike Band of Misfits, it works very well with cost reduction
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2021, 04:03:12 am »
+3

Does this count as fitting this weeks challenge?

Current version

Edit 2: made it start at 0 cost, but increase by 1 for each turn that passes. I tried this cost structure in order to make it a decision if you want to get it early when it costs a buy that is critical, or later when it is useful not doing this edit anymore

Edit 3: Considering this change to further change games it is in, and make it come into play faster.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:21:37 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2021, 06:57:42 am »
+1

Laser Army ($5, Action - Attack)
+3 Cards
If the Laser token is face down, you may reveal a Gold from your hand to turn it face up.
If the Laser token is face up, each other player gains a Curse.
(it starts face down)

EDIT: The laser token is global.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:21:15 am by grrgrrgrr »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2021, 07:00:29 am »
+2

Decision making concerning Projects revolves around IF and WHEN to buy it. Stuff with green like Road Network and Crop Rotation has the focus on when, timing is tricky with those.
Your card makes the timing utterly trivial. You will never buy it early (which can make sense with the two aforementioned Projects) and always (it is a more flexible, automatic Prince and usually stronger than Citadel) buy it when one pile is empty respectively about to empty.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 07:19:07 am »

Decision making concerning Projects revolves around IF and WHEN to buy it. Stuff with green like Road Network and Crop Rotation has the focus on when, timing is tricky with those.
Your card makes the timing utterly trivial. You will never buy it early (which can make sense with the two aforementioned Projects) and always (it is a more flexible, automatic Prince and usually stronger than Citadel) buy it when one pile is empty respectively about to empty.

How is edit 2?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2021, 07:19:31 am »
+2

Refurbish - $4
Action

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 plus $1 per Refurbish in the trash more than it.

A simple Remodel variant that can get quite powerful.

EDIT: Changed the wording. It is still a little bit confusing, but I couldn't find a better way to put it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 08:15:16 am by faust »

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2021, 07:20:08 am »

+3 Cards
If the Laser token is face down, you may reveal a Gold from your hand to turn it face up.
(it starts face down)

is laser token a global token? ie, like the journey token but it is up or down for everyone?

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2021, 07:21:28 am »
+1

Refurbish - $4
Action

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 plus $1 per copy of this in the trash more than it.

Does "copy of this" mean refurbish? i feel like this needs some rewording, altough i like the core idea

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +422
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2021, 07:21:53 am »
+1

+3 Cards
(it starts face down)
is laser token a global token? ie, like the journey token but it is up or down for everyone?

It is global indeed

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2021, 07:42:53 am »
+4

How is edit 2?

Revert it back. The original version was fine. You can have a project that's interesting because it influences other decisions, not just because the decision when to buy it is difficult.

The new version requires counting turns, which is problematic, and it also probably gets too expensive in many cases.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2021, 08:04:14 am »

Edit 2: made it start at 0 cost, but increase by 1 for each turn that passes. I tried this cost structure in order to make it a decision if you want to get it early when it costs a buy that is critical, or later when it is useful not doing this edit anymore

Edit 3: Considering this change to further change games it is in, and make it come into play faster.

Considering edit 3: its a bit too wordy tho and looks ugly.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2021, 08:45:43 am »
+2

Ha, I blame pandemic brain! Somewhere in there, I had the thought that someone must have posted something along these lines at some point (I'm at least happy that this version is not EXACTLY the same as your posted version)

So, if you want to enter it this, this week, I will happily retract it and come up with something else.

If you don't want to enter it, I'd like to keep it as I do think it has a lot of potential. But would also retract if you ask me to.

Feel free to present the card in this contest. Good luck!

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2021, 09:06:42 am »
+3

Refurbish - $4
Action

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 plus $1 per Refurbish in the trash more than it.

EDIT: Changed the wording. It is still a little bit confusing, but I couldn't find a better way to put it.

What if you have 11 of them in the box and say:

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 per Refurbish in the trash more than it.
-----
Setup: Put a Refurbish into the trash.

It's not exactly the same, because it buffs Necromancer and because the Refurbish could be Lurkered out of the trash, but it's pretty close in most situations and simplifies the language.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2021, 11:29:25 am »

Refurbish - $4
Action

Just to make sure I understand the card correctly: assuming you have two Refurbishes in hand and there are none in the trash, if you trash one Refurbish with the other, can you gain a $6 cost card?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2021, 11:39:45 am »
+1

Feel free to present the card in this contest. Good luck!

Well, if it does well, it can be a joint win! :)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 12:27:42 pm »

Cool card, but it doesn't fit the contest, which requires that it be something that affects all players equally in most cases.  This refers to your own Exile mat, meaning each player's Horsemaster would have a different strength, depending on how many Horses are in their own Exile mat
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2021, 12:28:26 pm »

+3 Cards
(it starts face down)

EDIT: The laser token is global.

Dominion going futuristic here
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2021, 12:36:13 pm »

Centurion
Action - Command
$6
Choose one: +1 Action and trash a card from your hand or play a non-Command Action card from the supply costing up to $1 per differently-named card in the trash, leaving it there.

A command card with a twist.  Instead of emulating cards within a specific price range, its power depends on how many different cards are in the trash.  And to ensure that cards go into the trash, it can non-terminally trash one card.  So, early in the game, you're probably going to be using it primarily for the trashing (unless there's other trashing available), in which case it functions like an overpriced Goatherd without the ability to draw.  However, once there's several different cards in the trash, it can be a strong emulator.  In most kingdoms it'll be pretty easy to get this at least as strong as Band of Misfits (which would require only 4 differently-named cards, for example, Copper, Estate and two other cheap cards, a Curse and Silver if nothing else) or Overlord (which requires a fifth card).  In kingdoms with Shelters and/or Looters, it can quickly become very powerful.  Also, like Overlord and Captain, but unlike Band of Misfits, it works very well with cost reduction

I also realized that this would be pretty good in a game with Necromancer, since that starts you out with 3 differently-named cards in the trash, meaning as soon as you trash a starting Copper and Estate you're already up to Overlord strength
They/them

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2021, 12:42:21 pm »
+1

Just to make sure I understand the card correctly: assuming you have two Refurbishes in hand and there are none in the trash, if you trash one Refurbish with the other, can you gain a $6 cost card?
Yes, that is how it is supposed to work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.