Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!  (Read 16388 times)

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!
« on: April 28, 2021, 06:15:12 pm »
+13

WDC #113: Power Up!

Rules:
  • Design a card that becomes more powerful once a specific trigger (or triggers) is met
  • Official cards that would qualify include City, Paddock, Trade Route, and Forager
  • The activation should be irreversible in most cases (I'll allow for rare exceptions, as is possible with City and Paddock when either Ambassador or Way of the Butterfly is present, or with Forager if there are cards that let you gain from the trash) and not based on transient conditions.  Therefore, cards like Menagerie, Leprechaun, Conspirator, and Shanty Town would not qualify
  • Likewise, cards that rely on the Journey token like Giant or Ranger would not qualify
  • The card should not be trashed or exchanged for a different card.  Therefore, cards like Magic Lamp or Travellers would not qualify.
  • All copies of the card should be activated for all players once the specific trigger is met.  Therefore, cards like Miser, Pirate Ship, Vineyards and Fairgrounds would not qualify.

Judging Criteria:
  • I will judge cards based on how innovative they are and whether they look fun to play with.
  • I will take balance into account as well, but it will be less important than the other two factors.

I look forward to seeing your entries and hope you have fun!

Deadline for new entries and revisions will be around 8PM Eastern Time / 12AM GMT on Wednesday, May 5th.

Entries:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:44:55 pm by Timinou »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #113: Power Up!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 06:35:33 pm »
+2

Rules:
  • Design a card that becomes more powerful once a specific trigger (or triggers) is met
  • Official cards that would qualify include City and Paddock
  • The activation should be irreversible in most cases (I'll allow for rare exceptions, as is possible with City and Paddock when either Ambassador or Way of the Butterfly is present) and not based on transient conditions.  Therefore, cards like Menagerie, Leprechaun, Conspirator, and Shanty Town would not qualify
  • Likewise, cards that rely on the Journey token like Giant or Ranger would not qualify
  • The card should not be trashed or exchanged for a different card.  Therefore, cards like Magic Lamp or Travellers would not qualify.

Judging Criteria:
  • I will judge cards based on how innovative they are and whether they look fun to play with.
  • I will take balance into account as well, but it will be less important than the other two factors.

Does the trigger that makes a card stronger have to be something accessible to all players, like City and Paddock, or can it be something that's specific to the person playing it, like Miser's +$ becoming stronger the more Coppers you have stashed away?
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:39:58 pm »
+1

Rules:
  • Official cards that would qualify include City and Paddock
  • The activation should be irreversible in most cases (I'll allow for rare exceptions, as is possible with City and Paddock when either Ambassador or Way of the Butterfly is present) and not based on transient conditions.  Therefore, cards like Menagerie, Leprechaun, Conspirator, and Shanty Town would not qualify

Judging Criteria:

Does the trigger that makes a card stronger have to be something accessible to all players, like City and Paddock, or can it be something that's specific to the person playing it, like Miser's +$ becoming stronger the more Coppers you have stashed away?

Good question.  The intent is that the trigger should accessible to all players.  So Miser and Pirate Ship would not qualify.

I'll clarify this point in the OP.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:51 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one, but does it have to be an added bonus on top of what the card originally did? For instance, I once designed a Curser that did a different type of Attack (discarding Attack instead) once the Curse pile was empty. Is this "upgrading" a card? I don't think it is, because then people could argue which of the two different effects is stronger, whereas an added bonus is almost always better.
Bottom text

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:28:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one, but does it have to be an added bonus on top of what the card originally did? For instance, I once designed a Curser that did a different type of Attack (discarding Attack instead) once the Curse pile was empty. Is this "upgrading" a card? I don't think it is, because then people could argue which of the two different effects is stronger, whereas an added bonus is almost always better.

Yes, the card should be unequivocally more powerful than before the activation.  It’s fine for the card to do something different (e.g. give you +1 Coffers instead of +$1) as long as it’s clearly better than what it did before.  It’ll be better to go with an added bonus to be on the safe side, but I don’t want to limit people’s creativity so I won’t be too picky about this (and as I type this I realize that someone could argue that +1 Coffers isn’t always better than +$1 e.g. if you want to play the card before Storyteller for draw).

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 08:33:52 pm »
+2

Rules:
  • Official cards that would qualify include City, Paddock, Trade Route, and Forager
  • All copies of the card should be activated for all players once the specific trigger is met.  Therefore, cards like Miser, Pirate Ship, Vineyards and Fairgrounds would not qualify.

hey just an fyi forager is different per-player when capitalism is in the kingdom and not everyone buys it

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 08:39:12 pm »
+3

Rules:

hey just an fyi forager is different per-player when capitalism is in the kingdom and not everyone buys it

Ooh, I’ve never come across this interaction before! The rules will be somewhat loose to allow for edge cases like this.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 08:55:43 pm »

Infrastructure • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If there are ...
1+ Works marked, +1 Buy.
3+ Works marked, +$1.
5+ Works marked, gain a Gold.
6 Works marked, gain card costing up to $4.

Works are on a mat, shared by all players. There are six spots, when you do the thing a spot describes, you immediately mark that spot (with coin tokens or what have you; sharpie if you hate having nice things). Sorry I didn't have time or mental bandwidth to fire up photoshop on this one, but the spots are:

• Play three Treasures with different names in the same Buy phase
• Buy two cards in one turn
• Buy a Gold
• Buy a Duchy
• Play five Action cards on the same turn
• Play three Infrastructure on the same turn

With Infrastructure, you do all the clauses that apply, so with 3 works done, they're a Market, and they get better from there. Well. for some metrics of better. They certainly do more things from there.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 10:41:29 pm »
+3

Works are on a mat, shared by all players. There are six spots, when you do the thing a spot describes, you immediately mark that spot (with coin tokens or what have you; sharpie if you hate having nice things). Sorry I didn't have time or mental bandwidth to fire up photoshop on this one, but the spots are:

• Buy a Gold
• Buy a Duchy

So they're like Asper's Feats, then?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53:47 pm »
+7

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:59:53 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 11:03:52 pm »

My Submission:

Quote from: Infiltrator
INFILTRATOR           
ACTION
+1 Card
+1 Action
If the number of Infiltrators in the Supply is...
8 to 10, +1 Buy
5 to 7, +1 Action
2 to 4, +
0 or 1, +1 Card

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 12:39:15 am »
+6

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 02:39:41 am »
+1

Veteran
Action - $5
+1 Action, +$1
Draw until you have 5 Cards in hand
You may trash a card from your hand per token on the Wounded mat.
-
Setup: Add a Coin token to each Attack Supply pile; move that token to the Wounded mat when a card from that pile is played.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:21:55 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 04:15:10 am »
+4

improved version with gambit05's wording:

Iron Throne
Action - $5

Discard the top card of your deck. If it's a Treasure or an Action card, play it twice.
Repeat this for each empty Supply pile.

original version:

Iron Throne
Action - $5

Reveal the top X+1 cards of your deck.
Play the revealed Treasures and Action twice and discard the rest.
—————————————————————
X is the number of empty Supply piles.

The card could be too strong and might have to cost $6. Also the wording is slightly too "mathematical", so if anybody has a smoother way to formulate this I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:46:39 am by segura »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 04:16:21 am »
+2

I like this card a lot, but I think it is arguable whether Smithy is really stronger than +3 Villagers.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 04:56:57 am »
+3

Iron Throne
Action - $5

Reveal the top X+1 cards of your deck.
Play the revealed Treasures and Action twice and discard the rest.
—————————————————————
X is the number of empty Supply piles.

The card could be too strong and might have to cost $6. Also the wording is slightly too "mathematical", so if anybody has a smoother way to formulate this I appreciate it.

Maybe:

Discard the top card of your     
deck. If it's a Treasure or an
Action card, play it twice.
Repeat this for each empty
Supply pile.

As soon as there are piles empty, it becomes less powerful as you cannot choose the order of the cards you can play, and you will have a higher miss rate. On the other hand, that might keep it at a lower cost.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 07:01:14 am »
+2

Entry:

Boundary Marker - Action Reserve, $5 cost.
+1 Action
+1 Buy

This turn, cards cost $1 less.
-
When you gain this, you may put it on your Tavern mat. While it's there, when you gain a Victory card costing $5 or more, +1VP per empty Supply pile.
Each mode interacts more with the other here, so I think I prefer it to Viceroy below. Choose which mode to use this in on gain; the Tavern mat seems like a convenient, clean way to activate a passive bonus, rather than do it like Hireling.
The Tavern mat mode seems so close to strictly better than Duke...! Hoping the top half helps negate this.

Fixed-up former entry:

Viceroy - Action, $5 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may trash this. If you do, choose one: play a non-Command, non-Duration Action from the Supply costing less than this, leaving it there; or +2VP per empty Supply pile.
Edit: changed first option to BoM instead of disciple on a cheaper Action. But then changed to Boundary Marker.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:42:49 pm by Aquila »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 08:34:58 am »

• Buy a Gold
• Buy a Duchy

So they're like Asper's Feats, then?

kind of, but iirc those care about (and give rewards to) the person who did them, being different per player; this doesn't, only cares whether they've been done. sorta the difference between the pirate ship mat and the trade route mat.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:37:17 am by spineflu »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 10:13:23 am »

Veteran
Action - $5
+1 Action
+$1
For each Wounded token you have, you may trash a card from your hand
-
In games using this, for each Attack, take a Wounded token the first-time another player plays it.

As worded, this breaks the rule that all copies of the card should be activated for all players, since the player playing an Attack for the first time would not take a Wounded token. 

You could revise it so that all players take a token, but maybe that's not what you were going for with this card.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 01:12:01 pm »
+1

Veteran
Action - $5
+1 Action
+$1
For each Wounded token you have, you may trash a card from your hand
-
In games using this, for each Attack, take a Wounded token the first-time another player plays it.

As worded, this breaks the rule that all copies of the card should be activated for all players, since the player playing an Attack for the first time would not take a Wounded token. 

You could revise it so that all players take a token, but maybe that's not what you were going for with this card.

Alternatively, you could have a Wounded mat (like the Trade Route mat) and put a token on each Attack Supply pile, which gets moved onto the mat the first time an Attack from that pile is played (this would prevent Knights from adding up to 10 tokens). This is consistent with the flavor of the card, since veterans have wounds whether or not they were on the side that started the conflict.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 01:53:16 pm »
+6

A Community starts out small but over time grows and adds value to your Dominion:

Community - Victory - $4*

Worth 2 per empty Supply pile.
-
This costs more per empty Supply pile.

When you first get this it isn't worth anything, but as there will always be at least 1 empty pile, it's lowerst end game value is 2 VP.

So at purchase time, you're either getting:
• a double estate for the the price of 2 estates (but in 1 card)
• a Duchy + 1 VP for the cost of a Duchy + $1
• an alternative Province
• some other possibilities for crazy games with extra empty piles (or 5 or 6 player games)

I'm hoping the interesting point is trying to decide when to buy; if you buy them early, you can get what dould eventually be a Province for only $4! But it will junk your deck.

Feedback welcome, always.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 02:34:43 pm »
+5

An Event I've designed and shown in my "10 Events" thread. I think it fits pretty nicely for this week's competition. An erratum added since then is the "Once per turn:". We played games with this, and with 6+ Coppers in play (with good deck control), it became crazy too quickly.

Yes, this dispenses a lot of Buys (only in certain contexts though). But it's crazy fun :) . Will you build a deck that always want 5 Coppers in play each turn to rely on Brewery as your primary source of economy?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:46:01 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 03:59:45 pm »
+5

A Community starts out small but over time grows and adds value to your Dominion:

Community - Victory - $4*

Worth 2 per empty Supply pile.
-
This costs more per empty Supply pile.

When you first get this it isn't worth anything, but as there will always be at least 1 empty pile, it's lowerst end game value is 2 VP.

So at purchase time, you're either getting:
• a double estate for the the price of 2 estates (but in 1 card)
• a Duchy + 1 VP for the cost of a Duchy + $1
• an alternative Province
• some other possibilities for crazy games with extra empty piles (or 5 or 6 player games)

I'm hoping the interesting point is trying to decide when to buy; if you buy them early, you can get what dould eventually be a Province for only $4! But it will junk your deck.

Feedback welcome, always.

It seems you have a bad memory. I've posted this concept last summer and you even commented on that card:

Dike looks fun.

I was wondering if it might be better at 3* (and cost $2 more per empty pile).

So it would be $1 cheaper with no piles, and $1 more expensive with 2 empty piles.

At that time, I replied that I have to test which version is the most interesting and then after ~20 games, I came up with this:

Funny, isn't it?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 04:01:18 pm »

edit: nvm I didn't read the rules properly
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:26:13 pm by silverspawn »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 04:17:55 pm »

Yes, the card should be unequivocally more powerful than before the activation.  It’s fine for the card to do something different (e.g. give you +1 Coffers instead of +$1) as long as it’s clearly better than what it did before.  It’ll be better to go with an added bonus to be on the safe side, but I don’t want to limit people’s creativity so I won’t be too picky about this (and as I type this I realize that someone could argue that +1 Coffers isn’t always better than +$1 e.g. if you want to play the card before Storyteller for draw).

How would Coven stand up to the rules for this contest?
he/him
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.