Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 8: Under the Seeeeea  (Read 6207 times)

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card Mechanics Contest Week 8: Under the Seeeeea
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2021, 11:32:41 pm »
+4

Shipwreck is a $3-cost terminal Silver that is gained whenever a card costing more than $0 is trashed during a turn.  In many games, the card will feel a bit junky.  However, if you Remodel an Estate (thereby gaining a Shipwreck to the bottom of your draw pile) and then play a Shipwreck, you can then gain a $5-cost card.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 09:18:06 am »
+2

You can get to a golden deck fairly easily with Octopus once you have enough economy in your deck.  Just with a mostly money-based strategy, if you have for example 2 Golds and 4 Silvers in your deck, you could play Octopus on one turn to put your deck into your discard pile, and then topdeck a Gold, 2 Silvers, and a Copper to buy a Province for the rest of the game.  It's not necessarily a winning strategy in all games since it is vulnerable to certain Attacks and may not always be the fastest strategy, but it could be fairly trivial in weak Kingdoms.  In a Kingdom with Fool's Gold and Octopus, if you are able to play Octopus first whilst having at least four Fool's Golds in your draw pile or discard pile, you would probably win.  On the other hand, in most strong Kingdoms, I think an Octopus-supported engine probably beats an Octopus-money golden deck.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 09:59:26 am »

I believe that only works if you have to Octopi, right?

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 10:52:28 am »

I believe that only works if you have to Octopi, right?

My understanding of the Aquatic mechanic is that when you discard it from play it goes to the bottom of your deck.  So you would only need one Octopus to enable a golden deck. 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 10:58:37 am »

you're right. That's an issue. not sure what to do about it yet.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 12:06:13 pm »
+1

A start could be to remove the "up to" from it, as that would at least ensure an entire hand before the bottom-decked card. But that would only be a nominal improvement, as any cantrip (or even terminal drawing, as you don't need an Action to play a Night card) gets you the Octopus.

Since it's an octopus, what if you choose four cards, and the player to your left chooses four cards (maybe flipping that order to nerf it slightly less), and then the eight cards are shuffled to form your new deck (or put atop your old one). That way, you are not guaranteed to get the cards you chose, even if you have the Flag or a Hireling (three Hirelings would do the trick, but that is one of those circumstances that is difficult enough to achieve to not be of great concern). The wording might go something like this:

You may put your deck into your discard pile. The player to your left looks through your discard pile and reveals four cards, then you do the same. Shuffle the revealed cards and put them onto your deck.

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 01:04:40 pm »
+2

I've just made a Pearl Diver variant:

It's better than the Pearl Diver, as the Pearl Collector can improve the top or bottom of your deck (or potentially both).  It synergizes well with other Aquatic cards too, as it can bring them from the bottom up to the top of your deck, just like a Pearl Diver.
he/him

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 01:11:49 pm »

If you want golden decks to be theoretically achievable with Octopus but want it harder to set up, then you could remove the first sentence.  That way, players would need to have all the necessary cards in their discard pile when they play Octopus.

The alternative could be to select the five cards that go on top, and shuffle the rest under those five cards, so that you are not guaranteed to see Octopus during your next turn.  I'm not sure how best to word that though. 

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 01:34:12 pm »

If you want golden decks to be theoretically achievable with Octopus but want it harder to set up, then you could remove the first sentence.  That way, players would need to have all the necessary cards in their discard pile when they play Octopus.

The alternative could be to select the five cards that go on top, and shuffle the rest under those five cards, so that you are not guaranteed to see Octopus during your next turn.  I'm not sure how best to word that though.

You would likely set aside those 5 cards, do the shuffle, then put the set aside cards onto your deck.
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 02:12:39 pm »
+1

Initially I did not think this would be much of a nerf, as you would only need to line things up the first time you played Octopus. If your deck was empty when you played it, then you could put the four money cards "onto" your deck, Octopus would be the fifth, and then you could just repeat the process, with one set of Treasures being in play (and going to our discard during cleanup) and the other set being in your discard pile (moving to your deck at Night and being drawn to your hand during cleanup).

At first I thought it would be easy to get an Octopus with an empty deck, as it would be the bottom card. But of course, that's wrong. Unless the Octopus is the final card you draw, you will trigger a reshuffle and your discard pile will disappear. You could get around this with cantrips, allowing you to draw one card at a time until your hit the Octopus, but that would be a further step needed to hit the Golden Deck. (And still wouldn't work if, for example, you had both of the Golds in play/your hand). Thus, a version of Octopus that did not let you put your deck into your discard pile would make it much harder to create the Golden Deck.

It would also significantly weaken Octopus outside that context. The version of Octopus that doesn't discard your deck will frequently have access only to those cards you gained that turn, effectively making it a post hoc Royal Seal/Tracker. By itself, this is probably not worth $5 (Royal Seal does that and gives you $2, although Octopus can topdeck cards gained before the Buy phase).

The nature of an Aquatic card is that they will almost always be in your hand with an empty discard pile, unless you discard it without playing it.  This is one of those secondary functions of a mechanic that one may not notice at first glance, but which impacts the game in potentially important ways. For example, a variant of Swashbuckler with the Aquatic type would be substantially worse than the original.

Not a submission:

This potentially creates some interesting design possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:27:56 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 02:41:01 pm »

The problem with that one is that, with Octopus being at the bottom of your deck, you're often either going to have a very large or a non-existent discard pile, and I don't like that swinginess.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2021, 03:07:25 pm »

The problem with that one is that, with Octopus being at the bottom of your deck, you're often either going to have a very large or a non-existent discard pile, and I don't like that swinginess.

That's true, and it wouldn't really make sense at $5 either. 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2021, 04:23:55 pm »
+4

Ok, I've given up on the Octopus. New Idea, still trying to make a card where the Aquatic type matters:

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2021, 05:44:38 am »
+4

24 hour-ish warning!

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:09:38 pm by Mahowrath »

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2021, 05:22:03 pm »
+3

Judgement

Thanks for waiting everyone. This has been a difficult contest to judge, with every entry really grasping the mechanic, and diving into the flavour. I sincerely hope not to judge another contest like this for some time; not least because bottom-decking is a really hard concept to try to evaluate.

Anyway, without further ado:

UserCardLinkHandwavy analysisFinalist?
mxdataKrakenhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868323#msg868323Kraken is an aquatic smithy variant, with an attack that looks suspiciously like it's designed to hit other krakens. Being terminal draw, this will often need some serious villager/topdecked village assistance to do anything more than big money.
fika monsterPoseidon's Gifthttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868389#msg868389Simple, but effective. Poseiden's Gift takes the aquatic mechanic and asks the player to choose what they want topdecked at the start of their shuffles, taking a leaf from Pathfinding and Lost Arts. As this looks good on most cantrips, it's a great way to ensure the aquatic subtype will be relevant on most boards.Finalist
bootymancerSunken Treasurehttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868390#msg868390This is cool; I'm glad people are going beyond the Action examples and bringing aquativeness to the Treasure type. Sunken Treasure is, true to its flavour, a treasure that sinks to the bottom of your deck. A lone Sunken Treasure will effectively cantrip itself in the process, in many ways like Bandit Camp, and its discarded Spoils payload. The final treasure when you reach it, is a Ducat with the power of a Gold (which arguably, is a lot of Coffers). Accountability-wise, this card currently raises some problems - I've played in a 4p Dominion tournament where a player tried repeatedly to flash $5 as $6, and $7 as $8: to catch them in a lie with this card, the table would have to definitively remember the player not putting cards into their hand at the end of their previous turn, which could be a pain. That said, as its location in your deck is largely fixed (the bottom), perhaps this card wouldn't particularly suffer from being double-sided, and bottomdecked when shuffled? This is a really impressive first entry, welcome to the forums!
emtzalexPOOR UNFORTUNATE SOULShttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868414#msg868414Poor Unfortunate Souls is a neat drawing sifter; something great for the start of the shuffle. It's a non-terminal embassy if you can pitch the right cards, though a nasty junker if not. From a hand of 9 other cards, one would expect to be able to find a victory card and a treasure, making this exceedingly powerful for a lab variant. The cursing, while thematic, seems pretty nasty for an event largely out of the player's hand; with 5 attempts to draw in any missing card types, it's a no-brainer to take this gamble in most circumstances, and the very occasional punishment for an unlucky draw could feel bad. I wonder whether there's a less swingy way to punish such draw failures.Finalist
AquilaCoral Reefhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868421#msg868421Coral Reef is Poseidon's Gift on steroids; so long as you balance your Reefs with your card of choice, you can start every shuffle with your chosen card on top with attached villages to boot. This is a neat way to showcase the aquatic subtype in any kingdom, but also feels like an autobuy, particularly in any kingdom with terminal draw.
spinefluShell Merchanthttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868430#msg868430Shell Merchant looks like a tricky card to utilise: the card itself is a disappearing Copper, that Scavengers any card costing up to $5, and at cleanup bottomdecks itself as per the aquatic mechanic. One could consider this a weak engine piece; but true to the aquatic mechanic, it lives its best life building golden decks, eg: 4x Shell Merchant, 4x peddler variant (< $5), 1x Copper (no trashing required). The mandatory putting of deck into discard pile makes this card less versatile than it could otherwise have been (Smithy variants struggle to make as good use of this), and I wonder whether this is strictly necesary.Finalist
pubbyImmersedhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868449#msg868449Immersed takes aquativeness to the Treasure type, and makes good use of the collision-heavy aspect with this non-terminal bridge-variant. While immersed is cumbersome payload to have at the start of your shuffle, it attempts to make up for this with great self-synergy, with some fantastic low cost rush options, but only for as long as immersed remain in the supply to replenish those trashed.
silverspawnFishing Boathttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868537#msg868537Fishing Boat rewards you for drawing the end of your deck, while not drawing your full deck. This feels difficult to consistently achieve, and often prone to sabotage, though cantrip Silver is nice if you can make it work.
Xen3kWay of the Dolphinhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868546#msg868546Way of the Dolphin is a neat use of the aquatic mechanic; throwing in a dolphin while you're building lets you set up your next turn for success with your buys and next played action going to the top of your shuffle. The mandatory bottomdecking makes this not so great while you're greening (outside of very specific circumstances); perhaps a "non-Victory", or "Action or Treasure" filter on affected supply piles wouldn't go amiss. Still, pleased to see a Way, and very happy with the concept.
TiminouShipwreckhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868547#msg868547Liking the flavour here; Shipwreck is an aquatic semi-junk card that invites itself to the bottom of your deck when you trash non-zero cost cards. Then, if you can set these up, they can yield nice $5s. I wonder whether a larger pilesize wouldn't go amiss here; in a 4-player game, these could empty before players have finished trashing their starting Estates.
mathdudePearl Collectorhttp://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=20770.msg868625#msg868625Pearl Collector is a nice sifter; somewhere between its obvious comparison and say Secret Passage, and appropriately priced in between. I'd have to playtest this to give an informed judgement, but my initial thought is that this is still somewhat weak for its cost as per Pearl Diver.

3rd Place: emtzalex's POOR UNFORTUNATE SOULS
2nd Place: SpineFlu's Shell Merchant

Winner: Congrats to fika monster's Poseidon's Gift.
It was a tough decision, but ultimately, the card-shaped-object felt ready to play.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 03:23:55 am »
+1

oh hey, thanks! the runner ups were my favorites too.

Ill try to come up with some idea later today and a new thread
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2021, 03:25:07 am »
+1

it looks like this may become a regular contest: perhaps we could ask the forum manager to make this a sub-board/child board similar to WDC? i cant remember the exact terms
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2021, 05:45:32 am »
+2

Thanks Mahowrath for the feedback and the judging.

This is a pretty interesting mechanic. I have spent some time thinking about it, and I had some ideas/additional card designs. The first card I came up with was this:

Quote from: Leviathan
Leviathan -- $13
Action - Aquatic
+10 Cards

This was obviously more about flavor than balance or gameplay. It would be too much for most decks to buy, and would only end up supercharging already-effective engines.

Wanting to stick with the theme (and further riff on the contest's pop culture reference), I started thinking about designing some sort of underwater/octopus witch or magic. I thought about designing an Aquatic curse, but it occurred to me that, because curses are not played, the effect would only take place on-gain, and you could fairly easily add to the card that was the curser. Ultimately, I made a card that lets a player enter into the dangerous bargain on offer -- extraordinary power, but with a tricky cost, and a dangerous result if you don't pay up. And it gives (not as an attack but back to the user) "Aquatic" Curses without needing a new card.

I like that Poor Unfortunate Souls presents one with a lot of different, interesting choices. Normally, a lab + 3 card sifter would be enormously powerful. But the power of sifting is that you get to choose exactly which cards you want (generally discarding dead cards--Victory cards, Curses, Action cards [if you're out of Actions], etc.--first, then the worst Action/Treasure cards [usually starting with Coppers]). PUS's requirement deprives you of that, making it less effective at what it does. However, the player has the option of ignoring that requirement, but pays a high cost for doing so. But also, when they miss that payment unwillingly (usually, I would predict, by not having an Action card), the card gets a lot better that turn.

After I submitted my card, I went back and looked at some of the other posts. I saw where silverspawn suggested (and quickly retracted) that the Aquatic type would generally be a negative thing. Their comment got me thinking about my initial assumption, that the Aquatic type was always something that made a card better.

Is the Aquatic type always good?

To answer that, we have to ask what impact a card having the Aquatic type has on the game. My initial idea was that because it goes onto the bottom of your deck, you will see it again before any of the cards in your discard pile, so over the course of the game, you will see an Aquatic card more often. While this is ultimately true, the impact is not quite as strong as I initially thought. While going on the bottom of the deck instead into the discard pile does ensure that you get the card before any non-Aquatic that were discarded, you don't necessarily get it that much before. The closest official-game equivalent might be Star Chart, as (absent any deck rearranging), going to the bottom of the deck is basically the same as being guaranteed to be the top card when shuffled. And in some case (i.e. with Harbinger), the Aquatic card's absence from the discard pile might make it harder to get.

That being said, you will tend to see these at least somewhat more often. For example, if you bought two cards in your opening, one Aquatic and one not, the Aquatic card would be in your third-turn hand, and then after being played, go to the bottom of your deck, where it would (in effect) be the first card from your second shuffle, along with (but ahead of) anything you bought on turns 3 and 4. The non-Aquatic card might be in your 5th turn hand, at which point it would have missed the shuffle, and you would already be seeing your Aquatic card for the first time.

So, given that a card being Aquatic means you will see it more often, is that always good? The obvious answer is no, because of course there are cards we don't want, that's why we buy trashers (and why junkers work). But it's not quite that simple. As previously mentioned, an Aquatic curse wouldn't have that much of an impact, since the Aquatic mechanic only puts the card under your deck when it's played. If you're not going to play a card, it won't make much of a difference.

I was also more interested in cards one my buy, but where the Aquatic mechanic was also not entirely a positive thing. I thought about cards you might want to play right when you bought them, but then became less useful as the game went on. (This can create some interesting design possibilities, including that an otherwise identical variant of an official card with the Aquatic type could have the same cost as its non-Aquatic counterpart). I first came up with:

Quote from: ZoraMoneylender
Zora Moneylender -- $4
Action
You may trash a Copper from your hand for +$3.

This is just a Moneylender with the Aquatic type added in. However, I don't think the Aquatic type ever becomes much of a drawback. Except in some marginal cases (Horn of Plenty), once you run out of Coppers you would just stop playing this card. After that, it would stop recycling. This does not nearly make up for the fact that you will get to use it to effectively trash your Coppers much faster (as previously mentioned, if you open with this you will see it in turns 3 and 5).

A more interesting case is this:

Quote from: SilverTrident
Silver Trident -- $3
Treasure - Aquatic
$2

At first blush, this appears to be strictly better than Silver, as you will get it more often. And when the rest of your deck is Coppers and Estates, that is obviously a very good thing. But as you deck improves, and especially in a Colonies game, if you are getting a Silver Trident again instead of a Gold or Platinum, that is very much a drawback.

To illustrate the point further, I came up with a Treasure worth even less:

Quote from: SecretGrotto
Secret Grotto -- $2
Treasure - Aquatic
+1 Buy
Take a Thingamabob. Then, if you have 3 or more Thingamabobs, return them all and +$2. Otherwise, +$1.

Quote from: Thingamabob
Thingamabob
Artifact
When you buy a non-Basic, non-Aquatic Treasure, +1 Buy (not cumulative with additional Thingamabobs).

This is even more obvious. Worth $1 1/3, while it may be useful at the start of the game, unless you need the +Buys, it quickly is lowering the average value of your deck. I actually like both of these, and think they might be balanced (subject to the Silver Deck issue, discussed below). While Secret Grotto may be a bit on the weak side, both $2 and +Buys are both unique enough that in some games they will just get bought.

Given the potential of the Aquatic mechanic to be a possible negative, I went back to thinking about Attacks, junkers, and interactions with Aquatic cards. I came up with this:

Quote from: ManOWar
Man 'O War -- $5
Action - Attack - Aquatic
+$3
Each other player either discards 2 cards or gains a Curse to their hand, their choice. (They may pick an option they can't do.)

Quote from: FlotsamJetsam
Flotsam and Jetsam -- $0*
Treasure - Aquatic
$1

A variant on Torturer, this gives the option of discarding 2 cards on gaining a piece of junk, Flotsam and Jetsam (basically, Aquatic Copper). The attack-with-choice is a fun gameplay element, and this actually extends that with the junk it gives, because (if you take the junk) once you draw F&J, you have another decision -- do you play it for $1 and have it go to the bottom of your deck, or do you hold it and discard it, giving you some extra time before seeing it again. It's not so easy to choose to discard if it means missing an important price point. But, like debris clogging up a waterway, if you gain and play too many of them, they will start to cluster together, and you may end up with an all F&J hand.

Other observations about the mechanic

During other discussions of the mechanic, another thing that occurred to me is that, because the Aquatic mechanic puts cards at the bottom of the deck, unless it is the final (or only) card drawn, Aquatic cards will tend to be in your hand right as you are hitting a shuffle. (I previously suggested that this would mean that an Aquatic Swashbuckler {who I named Davey Jones} would actually be worse than the original. I also suggested that this had interesting design potential, but I have come up with very little.

Quote from: WhatLurksBelow
What Lurks Below -- $4
Action - Aquatic - Duration
Trash from the Supply: two Action cards costing up to $2; or two Treasure cards costing up to $3; or a card costing up to $4. At the start of your next turn, gain the trashed cards to the bottom of your deck.

There's some synergy with Fisherman (which also fits the flavor), since, if you trigger the shuffle when getting this into your hand, you can grab two of them (after waiting a turn). There's also a synergy with Pearl Diver, who you can also grab in pairs, and which can later get this back more quickly from the bottom of the deck.

A potential issue: the "Silver Deck"

In a discussion of silverspawn's proposed (and later withdrawn) card Octopus, there was a discussion about the card's potential to create a kind of Golden Deck, in which you would be able to buy a high-priced Victory card every turn (in that case by using Octopus each turn to pull 4 Treasures onto your deck then putting it at the bottom as the final card). (Apologies to silverspawn, I don't mean to be picking on you, you've just inadvertently spurred a lot of my thinking on this one).

This wouldn't be a traditional golden deck, as you would be collecting other cards, it's just that the Octopus would prevent you from ever hitting a shuffle, so any new cards you gained would stay in the discard pile. Thinking about it, it occurred to me that you don't actually need a Harbinger ability to do that. With enough Aquatic cards, they will do that on their own.

In a game with no handcard or deck-order attacks, if you can at 10 non-drawing cards that can all be played (i.e. that won't be unplayable because of multiple terminal Actions without village(r)s), then, once you are able to cluster them together (which will happen automatically after they're played), you will never have to draw any other cards, so you can fill your deck with Victory cards without issue. For example, if you had 10 Silver Tridents, you would:
(1) draw 5 Silver Tridents (on the prior turn)
(2) play 5 Silver Tridents for $10
(3) buy a Province (putting it in your discard pile)
(4) discard the 5 Silver Tridents to the bottom of your deck
(5) draw the other 5 Silver Tridents
(6) repeat until the Province pile is empty

Now, piling a card that would allow such a win is not easy, especially when the card is nearly fungible for Silver, and easy for other players to pick up and put into most decks. But even if you have 5 Silver Tridents and 5 Secret Grottos, you would still have $8 or $9 every turn, and the same "Silver Deck" ability.

I don't think it's a deal-breaker, but this is something to consider when designing Aquatic cards (and maybe advises against Aquatic Treasure cards).

* I would note that this doesn't mean that Aquatic junk is overly oppressive, as you can always get out of a Silver Deck by discarding the card instead of playing it (albeit at the cost of whatever playing it would have gotten you).

Aquatic-style Victory cards

One last thing I thought about was whether you could apply the Aquatic effect to cards that don't get played, i.e. Victory cards. I came up with a card that also goes to the bottom when discarded from your hand. For accountability purposes, you have to take a state and show the cards you discard at the end of the turn:

Quote from: AtlanteanEstate
Atlantean Estate -- $3
Worth 2VP for every 2 Atlantean Estates you have (rounded down).
-----
When you gain this, take Underwater. During Cleanup, discard this from your hand to the bottom of your deck.

Quote from: Underwater
Underwater
State
During Cleanup, reveal each card you discard from your hand.

he/him/his

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.