Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #112: Steal the Show  (Read 14504 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #112: Steal the Show
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:45 pm »
+3

WDC 112: Steal the Show

Design an Attack card that steals from other players.

Rules:
- It must have the Attack type, but it doesn't have to be an Action.
- Other players must lose something that persists across multiple turns and you must gain something that persists across multiple turns. You do not have to gain the exact thing they lost - Bandit and Pirate Ship are OK, but Jester is not.
- The effect can be delayed - Rogue is OK.
- The stealing can involve any resource that persists across turns - cards, tokens, states, etc. Effects that only last a turn (e.g. you get $2) do not count. Effects that go away almost instantly (-1 coin token or Coffers), are discouraged.
- It's fine if you want to do a split pile or non-supply card , but please cap entries at 2 designed cards max.

Judge's Opinion:
- Don't give players the option to steal from 1 player only. They should steal from everyone (like official cards).
- If I must squint, you have too much text
- The rules are loose. You can get away with many designs if they have thieving flavor
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:21:52 am by pubby »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #112: Steal the Show
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:31 pm »

WDC 112: Steal the Show

Design an Attack card that steals from other players.

Rules:
- It must have the Attack type, but it doesn't have to be an Action.
- Other players must lose something and you must gain something. You do not have to gain the exact thing they lost - Bandit and Pirate Ship are OK, but Jester is not.
- The effect can be delayed - Rogue is OK.
- The stealing can involve any resource - cards, tokens, turns, VP, etc.
- It's fine if you want to do a split pile or non-supply card , but please cap entries at 2 designed cards max.

Judge's Opinion:
- Don't give players the option to steal from 1 player only. They should steal from everyone (like official cards).

What would it mean to steal a "turn"?  How would that differ from simply "take another turn"?
They/them

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 10:21:11 pm »
+1

Ha, that's up to you decide. I put that on there in case someone had a crazy idea, without thinking through what it actually meant. I'll remove the line from the OP, but anyone is welcome to try and answer the question, "How can one steal a turn?"

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 11:24:14 pm »
+1

Ha, that's up to you decide. I put that on there in case someone had a crazy idea, without thinking through what it actually meant. I'll remove the line from the OP, but anyone is welcome to try and answer the question, "How can one steal a turn?"
Maybe something more like Possession, but without all the reasons why Possession wouldn't count for this contest?

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 11:33:30 pm »
+2

MY SUBMISSION:

Quote from: Magic Wardrobe

MAGIC WARDROBE 
TREASURE - ATTACK
+1 Buy
Name an Action or Treasure card. Each other player reveals the top card of their deck, and if it's the named card, trashes it. You Exile the trashed cards.

Hey! Where did that go? If you know how to use it right, the Magic Wardrobe can make your opponents' stuff disappear. Being a Treasure makes it non-terminal, but it does little besides the Attack. Being able to target both Actions and Treasures makes it more versatile, but the wishing well mechanic makes it less certain. And Exiling the card (instead of gaining it) delays the benefit to the player using the Attack, but provides the extra option of depriving an opponent of a card without putting it in your deck. With some Landmarks (Fountain, Museum, Orchard) or Alt-VP (Gardens, Fairgrounds), having cards in Exile may actually be of benefit.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:58:08 am by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 01:15:22 am »

Would Bridge Troll qualify?

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 01:44:11 am »
+1

Would Bridge Troll qualify?

I wouldn't think so.  You're not actually stealing anything from your opponents, you're just making it harder for them to buy cards and easier for you to
They/them

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 02:32:16 am »

It's unclear to me what "lose something" and "gain something" means in this context. If I play Cardinal, the opponent loses a card to the Exile and I gain $2, but somehow i feel like Cardinal wouldn't qualify for this. Do the gained and lost things have to be actual physical entities?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 03:19:17 am »
+2

The rules are going to be somewhat loose, but I want to see long-lasting effects, not effects that last 1 turn only.

Exiling your opponent's cards fits this contest (it can harm them for several turns). Getting $2 is not (it benefits you for this turn only). Stuff like the -1 tokens, or even Coffers, can be long-lasting and so will be allowed in the contest, but they are not ideal entries.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 03:39:11 am »

- The stealing can involve any resource that persists across turns - cards, tokens, states, etc. Effects that only last a turn (e.g. you get $2) do not count. Effects that go away almost instantly (-1 coin token or Coffers), are discouraged.

Judge's Opinion:
- The rules are loose. You can get away with many designs if they have thieving flavor

Does this 2-card max include any non-card entities, like states or markers?
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +482
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 03:59:08 am »

Edit: was a bad card idea. no longer my submission

Probably a stupid card idea, but i wanted to do a card based on the swedish term "Björntjänst"

Björntjänst
2$ - Action Attack
Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of their deck.
They may trash any of the cards, and if they do, You may gain a copy of them to your hand. They then discard the rest.

Edit

Added +3$ so theres a benefit

This is probably unplayable but eh. wanna explore the idea a bit

Edit 2
Made it +2$ instead, and now you can gain 1 of the revealed cards regardless of if they trashed it

Edit3

edit 4:

Added to that it cant gain victory cards
[/s]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:59:43 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 04:03:52 am »
+1

They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 06:16:16 am »

Withdrawing this

Sheriff • $4 • Action - Attack - Duration
At the start of your next turn, put a card from your discard pile into your hand.
Until then, the first time each other player plays a Treasure other than Copper on their turn, you may discard a card from your hand to steal it.

defining a new key word that should be fairly intuitive: steal - when you steal a card, the player you are stealing from trashes it, then you gain the copy from the trash. As always, if a part of that fails, the parts after it do not happen.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:37:08 pm by spineflu »

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 11:40:01 am »
+5

Goblin Workshop
$4 - Action - Attack
Each other player reveals top 2 cards from their deck, trashes one costing $3 or $4 and discards the rest.
Gain a non-Victory card with the same name as a card in Trash.
-
Setup: put a Silver to Trash.

The real masters steal ideas :)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 12:07:34 pm »

Are you sure about the 'has to have the attack type' criterion? You didn't say that you have to steal something valuable, so technically, a card that steals in a non-attack way but attacks in an unrelated manner would pass. This doesn't seem ideal.

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 01:50:20 pm »
+7

Beguiler - $5
Action - Attack - Duration

+$2
Each other player takes Hoodwinked

At the start of your next turn, you may gain to your hand an Action or Treasure from the Trash
Hoodwinked
State

The next time you play a non-Duration Action or Treasure card from your hand: trash it, and gain a different, non-Victory card with the same cost.
Return Hoodwinked

Duration Swindler variant, with the key difference that other players are free to choose their alternative. However, it must be a different card, and non-victory, so most often it will still be unbeneficial. Coppers are still in most circumstances hoodwinked to Curses. Likely, another player will have to trash an engine piece you can make use of.

Edit: added "from hand" to the Hoodwinked trigger condition. This makes Beguiler more Prince-friendly (as per mxdata's comment below), along with giving more flexibility to delayed effect users wishing to hoodwink their terminals.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:33:06 pm by Mahowrath »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 03:11:06 pm »

Beguiler - $5

+$2

At the start of your next turn, you may gain to your hand an Action or Treasure from the Trash
Hoodwinked
State

The next time you play a non-duration Action or Treasure card: trash it, and gain a different, non-Victory card with the same cost.
Return Hoodwinked

Duration Swindler variant, with the key difference that other players are free to choose their alternative. However, it must be a different card, and non-victory, so most often it will still be unbeneficial. Coppers are still in most circumstances hoodwinked to Curses. Likely, another player will have to trash an engine piece you can make use of.

My opponent buys Reap.  I play Beguiler.  At the start of their turn, Reap causes Gold to be played which gets trashed.  Next turn I gain that Gold to my hand
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 03:12:31 pm »
+1

Beguiler - $5

+$2

Hoodwinked
State

The next time you play a non-duration Action or Treasure card: trash it, and gain a different, non-Victory card with the same cost.
Return Hoodwinked

I just realized that this would make Prince completely useless
They/them

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 04:18:56 pm »
+1

I just realized that this would make Prince completely useless

Yes, this is a good point! Fortunately I think it's relatively easy to fix while keeping the spirit of the card, by adding "from hand" to the Hoodwinked trigger condition.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 05:35:19 pm »
+3

I think the better solution is to just not use Prince or Reap on Beguiler boards. I think it's fine to allow those interactions. It's not any more broken than Swindling Province->Peddler or Province->Prince.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:36:25 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 06:35:50 pm »

I think the better solution is to just not use Prince or Reap on Beguiler boards. I think it's fine to allow those interactions. It's not any more broken than Swindling Province->Peddler or Province->Prince.

I agree, actually.  I wasn't meaning to say that that made the card broken.  I just thought the Reap interaction was kind of hilarious, and with Prince, it's already very situational anyways.  Lots of boards have no really good cards for Prince anyways, so one more case where Prince is useless isn't a problem
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 06:58:41 pm »

Siege
Action - Attack
Cost: $4 1D
Each other player reveals cards from their deck until revealing one costing $3 or $4, trashing that card and discarding the rest.  You may gain any or all of the trashed cards
Similar to Thief in that it directly steals trashed cards, but unlike Thief, it is not restricted to Treasures, but instead digs for a specific cost range.  It has a nice interaction with cost reduction, which lets you steal more expensive cards.  The cost includes debt in order to ensure that a Siege can't steal another Siege, even with cost reduction
They/them

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:46 pm »

I agree that unfun one-off interactions don't ruin a card, but I think the change is an improvement, and covers enough cases to be worth the additional text.
For example, letting Captain get a supply card trashed for a free gain is another amusing case best avoided. But letting these cards provide an opportunity to trash your terminals without killing your turn is a nice interaction.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:22:04 pm by Mahowrath »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 07:45:16 pm »

I agree that unfun one-off interactions don't ruin a card, but I think the change is an improvement, and covers enough cases to be worth the additional text.
For example, letting Captain get a supply card trashed for a free gain is another amusing case best avoided. But letting these cards provide an opportunity to trash your terminals without killing your turn is a nice interaction.

I don't think Captain would've worked that way anyways with the old version, since Captain specifically says to leave it in place.  Wouldn't the stop-moving rule apply here?  Beguiler expects to find the card in play, but it's not, so it can't trash it, same as, for example, Counterfeiting a Spoils or Processioning a Horse

On the other hand, either version would be a lot of fun with Fortress.  Play Fortress, it gets trashed, going back to your hand, you get a free $4 card, and you get to play that same Fortress again!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 07:46:23 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 08:21:19 pm »

I don't think Captain would've worked that way anyways with the old version, since Captain specifically says to leave it in place.  Wouldn't the stop-moving rule apply here?  Beguiler expects to find the card in play, but it's not, so it can't trash it, same as, for example, Counterfeiting a Spoils or Processioning a Horse

On the other hand, either version would be a lot of fun with Fortress.  Play Fortress, it gets trashed, going back to your hand, you get a free $4 card, and you get to play that same Fortress again!

Captain: Not sure; stop moving rule might not prevent the trash as the "leaving it there" only applies to the play, and the Hoodwink is an external, prior effect on that card due to you playing it. Perhaps the explicit wording for this should be "first trash it", as on-play is kind of ill-defined in precedence with the actual playing of the card.
Regardless, the gain trigger would occur, as it is not conditional on trashing, so you would gain a card out of it.

Fortress on the other hand is perfectly entitled to its fun as always!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.