Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #112: Steal the Show  (Read 14542 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #112: Steal the Show
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2021, 04:11:53 pm »

I'm assuming this version [of Excorcist] still gains the trashed card. 

I believe you've interpreted it as intended. By 'not gaining' I just meant that on-gain cards don't trigger. The card still moves to your deck.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2021, 05:05:31 pm »
+3

Thanks, pubby!  I'm glad you liked  my card.  I'm actually not a big fan of trashing attacks, so this was a difficult one.

I'll have the next contest up later tonight.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2021, 06:31:43 pm »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2021, 07:49:46 pm »

Clutter/Cleaning by mathdude
Clutter obviously compares to Talisman. Talisman is already weak, and I think Talisman has a better wording, but I like how Clutter cost $3 and can gain victory cards too. Cleaning is interesting. If I understand correctly, it gains a single card of N price, and not N cards costing up to $3. This means you can gain Provinces and such, which is cool. The attack is reasonably balanced, but man, everything just insists on there being lots of good $3 and under cards, and I don't see enough games having those.

You are correct that you could gain a Province, if you had 3 Clutter in play.  And there is definitely benefits to having good $3 cards in play (like Village).  But even getting all the Clutter cards, as an alternate way to get the Provinces (and Duchies, when only getting 2 in play) I think can be helpful enough, especially if you're having trouble getting $8 in a single hand (such as when multiple attacks are on the board).
he/him

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2021, 07:55:08 pm »

Well judged; that was a difficult, but rewarding challenge. Let me know what the multiplayer issues were with Beguiler/Hoodwinked.

Congrats Timinou!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:31 pm »
+1

Let me know what the multiplayer issues were with Beguiler/Hoodwinked.
Imagine a 3 player game where one player never buys Beguiler. The player to their right can play 2 Beguilers and gain 2 cards from the trash each turn. If they do, the other Beguiler player can gain only 1 from the trash, no matter how many Beguilers they play. Essentially one player gets to double-dip, all because of turn order.

There are some other oddities, but this is the most flagrant situation.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:13:37 pm by pubby »

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2021, 05:44:39 am »

Aha, good spot pubby! I'm not sure how I'd work around that; there doesn't feel like a good way to stack trashes or unstack trash-gains; will have to have a think...

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2021, 05:47:32 am »

Ambush/Purse by gambit05
Purse is a sweet design, and I like the idea of gaining and attacking the purses of others, but it's too swingy in the current form. If someone kills your Purse early, you're losing $2 and a trash that turn. That's too devastating for something out of your control.

Unfortunately my cards do not get much love anyway, but could you explain me what you would consider "early" in this context?

As far as I can see it, at least 2 players have to hit $5 to gain an Ambush (despite the fact that early on, other $5 cost cards easily have a higher priority), then at least the player who will be at the receiving end later, had to play their Ambush in order to gain a Purse, and that Purse has to cycle through the deck to be in that players hand, and at the same time another player has to play an Ambush. In the mean time, quite a lot has happened to the players decks. To me that looks like most official Attack cards are too swingy and devastating then.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2021, 07:18:28 am »

As far as I can see it, at least 2 players have to hit $5 to gain an Ambush (despite the fact that early on, other $5 cost cards easily have a higher priority), then at least the player who will be at the receiving end later, had to play their Ambush in order to gain a Purse, and that Purse has to cycle through the deck to be in that players hand, and at the same time another player has to play an Ambush. In the mean time, quite a lot has happened to the players decks. To me that looks like most official Attack cards are too swingy and devastating then.
By early I meant having your first Purse trashed before you can even play it, which seemed frustrating. My real critique though was the attack either does nothing, or does something very strong, but there isn't much middle ground. If it could hit other stuff, such as Silver, then I would be much more on-board.

I did like your cards BTW.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2021, 07:59:25 am »

By early I meant having your first Purse trashed before you can even play it, which seemed frustrating. My real critique though was the attack either does nothing, or does something very strong, but there isn't much middle ground. If it could hit other stuff, such as Silver, then I would be much more on-board.

I did like your cards BTW.

Thank you very much for your replay and that you like the cards.

While the attack itself might do nothing (isn't this the case for a lot of attacks?), the attacking player always gets something, either a Purse or +2 Coffers.

Edit: Sad.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:51:33 am by gambit05 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.