Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion: New Dawn (a fan expansion)  (Read 4565 times)

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Dominion: New Dawn (a fan expansion)
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:18:29 am »
+2

Update: The full expansion has now been posted within this thread.  With additional information, all cards are found lower within this post.  Alternatively, you can see a post with a more compact listing of cards here.  I'm still very eager to hear feedback on any parts of this expansion - broad comments, balance of card types, or for individual cards.

(original post)
This took a lot longer to get ready than I expected.  But I'm finally ready to start revealing my own expansion.  If I've tracked the numbers right, it's got 40 Kingdom piles, and will be exactly 500 cards including randomizers.  I plan to introduce it in 6 segments - each time, I'll make a new post in this thread, then also quote the information back in here in the original post so it's all summarized in one spot at the end.  (I'll likely leave "release 1" out for 2-3 days, then "releases 2 through 6" out for 3-7 days each, depending on the amount of discussion/feedback they are generating - so the whole set won't be fully released until about 2-5 weeks from now).

I'm looking for any and all feedback - wording, balance/cost, things that seem completely broken, recommendations for minor or even major changes, and of course things you like.  I have not explicitly (physically) play-tested any of these cards yet, but I have mentally run them each through many scenarios, from opening purchases to midgame to endgame, as well as interactions with as many existing cards as I can think that would matter.  Once I fine-tune the cards, based on the feedback of all you wonderful people, then I'll start copying them out onto cards and I'll play many, many rounds with them (within this expansion, as well as mixed with most other existing expansions).

So without further ado...

Planned releases:
(links to the post where each set of cards is initially revealed, followed by comments and discussion)

1. Introduction and Flavour Text
After more battles than you can count, you are weary and worn out.  You are ready to come home and rest.  But as you embark on your long journey home, you hear rumours of rare gifts that have been found in the areas you travel.  You have to get some - they will show your continued dominance in the land!  You go out early each morning but there is fierce competition to find the valuable items.  And even when they are found, they are not easy to keep in your possession.

As you get closer to home, some things seem familiar.  But you've been gone so long, some things look very new.  Are there more mines than before?  Are some places deserted?  Is that a new village?  It seems that a new dawn is about to begin.  Will you return with one more victory? Or will you be defeated?

2. Dawn cards
Additional Rules:
  • New Dawn adds Dawn cards and the Dawn phase. In games using Dawn cards, the Dawn phase happens between any “Start of turn” effects and your Action phase - it goes, Start of turn, Dawn, Action, Buy, Night (if also using Night cards), Clean-up. In your Dawn phase, you can play any number of Dawn cards.
  • “Start of turn” effects can include playing a card (Captain), giving you coins for this turn (Raider), gaining a card (Cobbler), and many other effects.  When you are instructed to play a card in this phase of a certain Type (e.g. an Action card with Captain, or a Gold card with Reap), it is temporarily considered to be the phase when that Type of card would normally be played, for the purposes of resolving any effects which depend on a particular Phase.

Pure Dawn cards:

Maid
$3 - Dawn
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck.  Put them anywhere in your deck.

Thresher
$4 - Dawn
+$2
At the start of your Clean-up phase, you may trash a card you would discard from play this turn to gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

Dawn-Action cards:

Muster
$3 - Dawn-Action
Name an Action card. Reveal the top 4 cards from your deck. Put copies of the named card into your hand and discard the rest.

Communal Hearth
$4 - Dawn-Action
+1 Action
-
While this is in play, when you play an Action card you do not have a copy of in play, +$1.

Garrison
$4 - Dawn-Action
Gain a card costing up to $4.  If it's your Dawn phase, put it in your hand.

Dawn-Reaction card:

Early Experiment
$5 - Dawn-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
-
When you buy a Dawn or Action card, you may reveal this from your hand to put it onto your deck.

Dawn-Treasure cards:

Postal Cart
$4 - Dawn-Treasure
If it's your Dawn phase, +1 Card.
Regardless, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the other cards. Play that Treasure.

Teapot
$5 - Dawn-Treasure
+1 Buy
If it's your Dawn phase, then for the rest of this turn, when you play a Treasure card, +$1.
Otherwise, +$2.

3. Split piles and Traveller lines
Split Piles:

Lender
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Treasure from your hand.
Repository
$5 - Treasure
$2
Reveals cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. If you revealed any Lenders or Repositories, put them in your hand, +1 Buy, +$2.  Discard the rest.

Speculation
$2 - Treausre
+1 Buy
+$1 for each Speculation and Salesman you have in play.
Salesman
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may play a Speculation from your hand for +1 Card.

Deserted Smithy
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
If you have more than 1 card in play, discard 2 cards.  Otherwise, put a card onto your deck.
Farrier
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you play a Deserted Smithy, you do not discard 2 cards.

Distillery
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Discard any number of Victory cards, revealing them.  +1 Card per card discarded.

1(VP)
Greenhouse
$6 - Treasure-Victory
$2

Worth 1(VP) for each differently named Victory card of which you have at least 3 copies.

Traveller Lines:

Homage
$2 - Dawn-Action-Traveller
+1 Card
If it's your Action phase, you may play a Traveller from your hand.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Fealty
Fealty
$3* - Action-Traveller
+2 Cards

When you discard any card other than from in play, you may reveal this from your hand to put it and this on top of your deck.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Feud.
(This is not in the supply.)
Feud
$4* - Action-Attack-Traveller
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards one.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Offering.
Offering
$5* - Action-Treasure-Traveller
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Otherwise, +$1 for each Traveller you have in play.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Fief.
Fief
$6* - Action-Victory-Traveller
Set this aside.

Worth 4% plus 1% for each Fief you have set aside, including this.
(This is not in the supply)

Borrowed Money
$2 - Action-Traveller
+$2
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Temporary Loan.
Temporary Loan
$3* - Action-Traveller
+1 Card
+$2
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Investment.
Investment
$4* - Action-Traveller
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+$1
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Growth Fund.
Growth Fund
$5* - Action-Traveller
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+$1
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Dividends.
Dividends
$6* - Action-Duration-Traveller
+1 Action
For the rest of the game, when you play a Traveller, choose one: +1 Card; or +$1.
(This stays in play. This is not in the supply.)

4. Artifacts
Additional Rules:
(in addition to all "Official Rules" about Artifacts from Dominion: Renaissance)
  • If only Kingdom cards from New Dawn are being used this game, the Artifact-Gems and Gem Store are all used. If a mix of Kingdom cards from New Dawn and other sets is being used, then the use of Artifact-Gems and Gem Store should be determined randomly, based on the proportion of New Dawn cards in use. For example, choose a random Kingdom card being used - such as the last card dealt from the Randomizer deck - and if it is from New Dawn, use all Artifact-Gems and Gem Store. Do not use the same card to choose whether or not to use Shelters as you use to choose whether or not to use Platinum and Colony (from Prosperity) or Shelters (from Dark Ages).
  • If Gemologist is one of the Kingdom cards, all Artifact-Gems and Gem Store are included in the game, even if they were not selected randomly as described above.
  • Additionally, individual Artifact-Gems are included in a game if a specific Kingdom Card requires it (e.g. if Emerald Miner is in the game, the Emerald Artifact-Gem is also available), but this does not trigger the addition of the Gem Store or other Artifact-Gems.

Gem Store and Gemologist:

Gem Store
(communal mat)
You may buy any Artifact-Gem from this store for $8.
In your Buy phase, you may trash a Gold and Silver and discard 2 other Treasures, all from your hand, to take any Artifact-Gem from another player.

Gemologist
$5 - Dawn
Choose one: +3 Cards; or play any number of Treasures from your hand and pay all your $, then if you paid at least $6, take any one Artifact-Gem (from the Gem Store or another player).

Gem-type Artifacts and Cards that let you take them:

Sapphire
Artifact-Gem
When a card instructs you to gain a card up to a certain cost, you may gain a card costing $1 more than that cost.
(This does not affect "gain a card costing $? more than...")
Sapphire Miner
$2 - Dawn-Action
If it's your Dawn phase, take the Sapphire. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $3.

Emerald
Artifact-Gem
When the first card is played each Dawn phase, if an Estate is on this then gain it or return it to the Supply; otherwise set aside an Estate on this from your hand or the Supply.
(Cards on this belong to no player, and stay with it when taken.)
Emerald Miner
$3 - Dawn-Action
If it's your Action phase, take the Emerald. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $4 and if it's a Victory card, +$1.

When you gain this, put your hand onto your deck.

Rhodonite
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your turn, discard up to 3 Dawn cards, revealing them. +3 Cards per card discarded.
Rhodonite Miner
$3 - Dawn
+1 Buy
+$2
Take the Rhodonite.

Ruby
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Ruby Miner. If you do, draw until you have 7 cards in hand. Otherwise, draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Ruby Miner
$4 - Dawn-Action-Attack
If it's your Dawn phase, take the Ruby, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards one. Otherwise, each other player discards an Action or Treasure (or reveals a hand without any).

Topaz
Artifact-Gem
Once per turn, at the start of your Buy phase, you may get +$1 for each card you played during your Dawn phase.
Topaz Miner
$4 - Dawn-Treasure
If it's your Dawn phase, +$2. Otherwise, +$1, take the Topaz, you may return to your Dawn phase.

Amethyst
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your Action phase, you may return any number of Curses from your hand to their pile. Gain a Copper to your hand for each Curse returned.
Amethyst Miner
$5 - Dawn-Action-Attack
If it's your Dawn phase, take the Amethyst, each other player may discard a Curse from their hand and if they don't, they gain a Curse to their hand. Otherwise, +1 Card, +$1, each other player gains a Curse.

Diamond
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your turn, choose a card that the player to your right gained on their last turn. You may gain a cheaper card to your hand that shares a type. If you do, each other player gains a copy of the card you gained.
Diamond Miner
$6 - Dawn
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may trash a card from your hand to take the Diamond.

Onyx
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your Clean-up phase, you may set aside one Dawn card (face up) instead of discarding it
Onyx Miner
$6 - Dawn-Action
If it's your Dawn phase, +2 Cards, take the Onyx. Otherwise, +3 Cards, +1 Action, discard 2 cards.

5. Multi-type and Treasure Kingdom cards
Multi-type cards:

Pledge
$1 - Treasure-Reaction
$1
Return this to its pile. You may gain a Copper to your hand.

When any player gains a card costing $2 or less, you may discard this from your hand to gain a Pledge to your hand.

Borrowed Land
$3 - Victory-Reaction
1VP

When another player gains a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand to gain a cheaper Victory card (than the one gained).

Working Hut
$3 - Action-Treasure
If it's your Action phase, reveal a Treasure card from your hand to gain a copy of it. Otherwise, gain a copy of an Action card you have in play.

Quicksand
$4 - Action-Attack-Duration
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards. Until then, when another player gains an Action card they gain a Copper and when they gain a Victory card they gain a Curse.

Evanescence
$5 - Treasure-Duration-Victory
$3, +1 Buy
At the start of your next turn $2, return this to its pile.

2VP

Inventor's Shop
$5 - Action-Treasure
If it's your Action phase, gain a non-Action card costing up to $5 to your hand. Otherwise, gain a non-Treasure card costing up to $5 onto your deck.

Ley
$5 - Action-Victory
+3 Cards

1VP

Magic Coin
$5 - Treasure-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, $1.

On your turns with this in play, if you have an odd number of Magic Coins in play, Treasure cards cost $1 less; otherwise, Action cards cost $1 less.

Swords
$7 - Action-Attack-Victory
Each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards a non-Victory card costing at least $4 (or reveals they can't).

Worth 1VP for each 4 non-Victory cards costing at least $5 in your deck.

6. Remaining Kingdom cards
The final cards:

Empty Village
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard 1 card.

Crooked Broker
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand reveals one (their choice). They discard it or put it onto their deck (your choice).

Deep Mines
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$3

While this is in play, you may not play Treasures in your Buy phase and you may not buy Deep Mines.

Watchman
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. You may trash any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

Foundry
$5 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.

When one of your cards is trashed, you may discard this from your hand for +2 Cards.

Peddler's Market
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1 per Peddler's Market you have in play.

Full Village
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1

Realm
$6 - Victory
Worth 2VP for each set of Estate-Duchy-Province you have.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 03:17:41 pm by mathdude »
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: New Dawn (a fan expansion)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 10:18:41 am »

Dominion: New Dawn

Flavour Text:
After more battles than you can count, you are weary and worn out.  You are ready to come home and rest.  But as you embark on your long journey home, you hear rumours of rare gifts that have been found in the areas you travel.  You have to get some - they will show your continued dominance in the land!  You go out early each morning but there is fierce competition to find the valuable items.  And even when they are found, they are not easy to keep in your possession.

As you get closer to home, some things seem familiar.  But you've been gone so long, some things look very new.  Are there more mines than before?  Are some places deserted?  Is that a new village?  It seems that a new dawn is about to begin.  Will you return with one more victory? Or will you be defeated?

How is the theme and flavour?  Are you looking forward to the expansion?  Does it peak your interest?

Some questions that will help me prepare for releasing the Dawn Cards and associated rules:

I have already given a partial introduction to the Dawn Cards (which will be release #2) in the 2nd Fan Card Mechanics Contest, and you can go read a bit about it there if you want.  I will do an official introduction of it in a few days here, as well as obviously revealing a number of Dawn Cards.

But in order to properly introduce the Dawn Cards, I need to sort out the "start of turn" and the Dawn Phase.  Officially, when things are resolved at the start of your turn, it is already considered your Action Phase (since many things that occur here deal with playing an Action Card).  Dawn Phase needs to happen before the Action Phase.  So I see 3 main options, and I'm looking for opinions on how I should approach this:

1. Dawn Phase happens before "start of turn" effects, and then everything happens as normal - I know it's hard to comment on the feasibility of this option, not knowing the cards, but you can look back to the design contest as those are fairly representative of Dawn-type cards.  Theoretically, if there end up being Dawn-Duration cards in the future that have an effect at the start of turn, this could be an issue (though there are currently none, and it seems to be counter-productive with the idea of Dawn Cards setting up your current turn - this would be more suited to Night-Duration, I think).  I believe functionally, this makes the most sense, since Dawn Cards can then even set up some benefits for start of turn Action cards that are played.  However, it also means "start of turn" actually needs to be redefined, as it is no longer the start of your turn (technically, that would probably require a new name, and thus effect a lot of existing cards) - this is not ideal!

2. Start of turn effects happen first, then Dawn Phase, then Action Phase, but start of turn is considered only your Action Phase (it is not your Dawn Phase yet, until any/all "start of turn" effects are resolved).  This seems awkward, as it means your Action Phase is split into 2 parts.  It weakens some Dawn Cards, as they (generally) no longer affect anything that happens in the start of turn - I believe this is a minor inconvenience, but not that much of an issue.  It would technically work, but it would just need some clarifications in the introduction/rules.

3. Start of turn effects happen first, then Dawn Phase, then Action Phase, but start of turn is considered both your Dawn and Action Phases.  This still splits up your Action Phase, but seems a bit less awkward, I believe.  However, it might break some of my Dawn cards, since there are a number of Dawn-Action cards, which have different effects depending on which Phase they are played in.  It might not be a problem though, as generally cards which are played at the "start of turn" specify something like "play an Action card" (or it already is an Action-Duration which just plays itself).  So after writing out this logic, maybe this option 3 is a non-issue, as we may not ever need to play a Dawn Card (as a Dawn-type) in the start of turn, other than the potential for future designed cards (and if that's the case, then we just state that it cannot happen).

All that being said, I'd like a combination of Options 1 and 2.  I'd like "start of turn" to still be at the start of turn, but I also want Dawn Cards to be able to be played before all Action cards (including potentially those played in the start of turn).  And splitting up the Action Phase also feels awkward.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:58:02 am by mathdude »
he/him

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
+3

How about a fourth option?  Redefine the rules a little so that start-of-turn is no longer considered part of any phase, but its own separate phase.  Thus, you have potentially six phases:
  • Start of Turn
  • Dawn
  • Action
  • Buy
  • Night
  • Clean-Up

They/them

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 02:53:48 pm »

How about a fourth option?  Redefine the rules a little so that start-of-turn is no longer considered part of any phase, but its own separate phase.  Thus, you have potentially six phases:
  • Start of Turn
  • Dawn
  • Action
  • Buy
  • Night
  • Clean-Up

I think this is basically my option 2. But you are probably right that we just need to redefine or more clearly define the start of turn. Right now, this "phase" is fairly limited, mainly playing the remaining effect of Action-Duration cards, or resolving a Project or similar. It has been defined as part of your Action Phase because there are clear rules about what that means cards do when played at this time.

If we expand the description and rules of "start of turn" to allow more flexibility, basically taking on existing phase rules based on what is played, it could allow the creation of Dawn or even Treasure cards that can potentially be played at start of turn (the obvious option is Dawn-Duration or Treasure-Duration, which have effects when played plus at the start of next turn if there's a reason to do that which can't be done with existing mechanics).

A potential issue comes up if a card says "at the start of your next turn, play an Action or Treasure card", and you have a card that is both types, but I guess you would just choose which to resolve. Though I can't see a useful reason to design a card like that at this point anyway.
he/him

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 03:15:01 pm »
+1

• Start of Turn
  • Dawn
  • Action
  • Buy
  • Night
  • Clean-Up

I think this is basically my option 2. But you are probably right that we just need to redefine or more clearly define the start of turn. Right now, this "phase" is fairly limited, mainly playing the remaining effect of Action-Duration cards, or resolving a Project or similar. It has been defined as part of your Action Phase because there are clear rules about what that means cards do when played at this time.

If we expand the description and rules of "start of turn" to allow more flexibility, basically taking on existing phase rules based on what is played, it could allow the creation of Dawn or even Treasure cards that can potentially be played at start of turn (the obvious option is Dawn-Duration or Treasure-Duration, which have effects when played plus at the start of next turn if there's a reason to do that which can't be done with existing mechanics).

A potential issue comes up if a card says "at the start of your next turn, play an Action or Treasure card", and you have a card that is both types, but I guess you would just choose which to resolve. Though I can't see a useful reason to design a card like that at this point anyway.

In this last case, I think you would just follow the instruction as is, and if, for example the card were written like Crown, it would just do nothing (as it's technically neither phase). Normally, you would just choose not to play that card, though there are scenarios where you don't have that choice (e.g a Ghost -> Crown).

Another idea is what if Dawn phase occurred before your turn actually started; then the order would be:

• Dawn
  • Action - with subphases of Start of Turn and Rest of Action Phase
  • Buy - with subphases of Play Treasures and Spend Treasures
  • Night
  • Clean-Up

Dawn cards would have to be written to account for this, i.e. no "This turn, xxx clauses", but rather "While this is in play, xxx".

For more crazy brainstorming, you could either allow all players to play dawn cards during a dawn period (so maybe you even some psuedo attack cards, those that might be against the "politically played" cards as they would only affect your one opponent or have this non turn Dawn phase be at the beginning of a round (so 1 Dan per X turns for X players). Not sure if this could give the first player an even bigger advantage, though).
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 04:11:00 pm »
+2

You could say Dawn is part of your Action phase (but you're allowed to do different things in it), in the same way "play treasures" and "buy things" are both part of your Buy phase even though you do different things in those subphases.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 04:01:01 pm »

In this last case, I think you would just follow the instruction as is, and if, for example the card were written like Crown, it would just do nothing (as it's technically neither phase). Normally, you would just choose not to play that card, though there are scenarios where you don't have that choice (e.g a Ghost -> Crown).

Another idea is what if Dawn phase occurred before your turn actually started; then the order would be:

• Dawn
  • Action - with subphases of Start of Turn and Rest of Action Phase
  • Buy - with subphases of Play Treasures and Spend Treasures
  • Night
  • Clean-Up

Dawn cards would have to be written to account for this, i.e. no "This turn, xxx clauses", but rather "While this is in play, xxx".

For more crazy brainstorming, you could either allow all players to play dawn cards during a dawn period (so maybe you even some psuedo attack cards, those that might be against the "politically played" cards as they would only affect your one opponent or have this non turn Dawn phase be at the beginning of a round (so 1 Dan per X turns for X players). Not sure if this could give the first player an even bigger advantage, though).

Your list does look good, and if I was redesigning some of the Dawn cards I have from scratch, it might make sense to use your version here.  It also allows Dawn cards to affect all cards played this turn, including in Start of turn.

However, it's your example of using Ghost that really made me think about how things need to work.  I think I've come up with some rules clarifications that will make things clear enough.  I'm hoping to release my next set of rules/cards either this evening or tomorrow - when I find the time!

You could say Dawn is part of your Action phase (but you're allowed to do different things in it), in the same way "play treasures" and "buy things" are both part of your Buy phase even though you do different things in those subphases.

This is effectively like having Start of turn - Dawn Phase - Action Phase.  However, because of the way the cards are designed,  I do need to keep them as separate phases, rather than having Dawn cards be played as part of your Action phase.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 01:51:25 am »

Dawn Cards:

In this post, you will find the first set of Dawn cards for the New Dawn expansion.  Most of these cards are either exact or modified versions of cards designed by others, as part of the Fan Card Mechanics contest.  In these cases, I have attributed the card design to the original designer (and where I made functional changes, I put both my name and theirs).  There will be more Dawn cards being revealed over time still (one in a Traveller line in Release #3, and a bunch more in Release #4), so this is just a subset of these new types of cards.

Dawn cards are usually only useful if you have them in your initial (usually 5-card) hand - unless they are a multi-Type card (e.g. Dawn-Action, Dawn-Treasure, Dawn-Night - see Werewolf), or unless something allows you to return to your Dawn Phase.  Because they aren't usually useful if drawn during your turn, they can offer slightly more powerful effects at a cheaper cost, since there is a risk that they will be a dead card.  Rather than reacting to what happened during your turn like Night cards, Dawn cards could possibly set up or affect your current turn in some way.  They can affect how cards are played, give extra power to some things, increase your ability to buy things, or a number of other possible effects, probably for the current turn - I recognize many action cards do these types of things already, but limiting the play of them to the beginning of turn can allow more powerful effects.

As a point of note - Dawn cards inherently have the equivalent of +1 Action on them, since they let you play the card, then still let you start your Action Phase with 1 Action.  So any +1 Action on a Dawn card is effectively a village variant.

Additional Rules:
  • New Dawn adds Dawn cards and the Dawn phase. In games using Dawn cards, the Dawn phase happens between any “Start of turn” effects and your Action phase - it goes, Start of turn, Dawn, Action, Buy, Night (if also using Night cards), Clean-up. In your Dawn phase, you can play any number of Dawn cards.
  • “Start of turn” effects can include playing a card (Captain), giving you coins for this turn (Raider), gaining a card (Cobbler), and many other effects.  When you are instructed to play a card in this phase of a certain Type (e.g. an Action card with Captain, or a Gold card with Reap), it is temporarily considered to be the phase when that Type of card would normally be played, for the purposes of resolving any effects which depend on a particular Phase.

Pure Dawn cards:

Maid
$3 - Dawn
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck.  Put them anywhere in your deck.

Thresher
$4 - Dawn
+$2
At the start of your Clean-up phase, you may trash a card you would discard from play this turn to gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

Dawn-Action cards:

Muster
$3 - Dawn-Action
Name an Action card. Reveal the top 4 cards from your deck. Put copies of the named card into your hand and discard the rest.

Communal Hearth
$4 - Dawn-Action
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you play an Action card you do not have a copy of in play, +$1.

Garrison
$4 - Dawn-Action
Gain a card costing up to $4.  If it's your Dawn phase, put it in your hand.

Dawn-Reaction card:

Early Experiment
$5 - Dawn-Reaction
+2 Cards
+1 Buy

When you buy a Dawn or Action card, you may reveal this from your hand to put it onto your deck.

Dawn-Treasure cards:

Postal Cart
$4 - Dawn-Treasure
If it's your Dawn phase, +1 Card.
Regardless, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Discard the other cards. Play that Treasure.

Teapot
$5 - Dawn-Treasure
+1 Buy
If it's your Dawn phase, then for the rest of this turn, when you play a Treasure card, +$1.
Otherwise, +$2.

Discussion points and explanations

Maid lets you look at what is coming up in your deck, but instead of discarding or trashing any, it lets you put them anywhere in your deck.  But as a pure Dawn card, it can only be played in the Dawn phase.  Just like Harbinger is useless with an empty discard pile, Maid is almost useless when you have 5 cards left in your deck (or even a few more), as you have very little or no choice as to where the 5 cards will go in your deck.  This can also let you set up the next draw card you will play, and if you find multiple Maids in the cards you look at, you can space them out in your deck for future turns.

Thresher is an upgrade variant, that gives you the option to upgrade instead of forcing you to trash a card.  However, it actually lets you play your turn first, then before you discard your cards from play, you may upgrade one of them.  This is not quite as powerful as if you could gain the upgraded card to your hand, but at least the card you are upgrading doesn't go straight from your hand into the trash like with Remodel or Remake.

Muster gathers your "troops" in the morning.  On its own, it's a bit weak, since you may not actually get any cards into hand.  But pair it with some other cards (Sentry or especially Maid), and it can be quite a powerhouse.  Being a Dawn-Action card, it can be played in either phase.  But the advantage (and almost necessity, unless you've already played a village) of playing it in your Dawn phase is that it is then non-terminal. 

Communal Hearth is a card design that I expected to use more often when I started planning Dawn cards.  Putting an effect in play for the rest of your turn (similar to a Duration card from a previous turn, sometimes, but now taking up a card in your initial hand of this turn) - I originally had another card similar to this as a part of this expansion, but when fine-tuning it, they ended up too similar and I had to drop one of them.  However, designing cards with these sorts of powers are very hard to balance well and design unique mechanics with them.  For this card, it is again advantageous to play it in your Dawn phase instead of Action phase, because then it gives you a Village effect, allowing more Action cards to be played, for more +$ to be earned from this card.

Garrison is a Workshop variant, somewhat similar to Armory or Cobbler.  But here, if you play it as an Action card, it's just a Workshop and if you play it as a Dawn card, it's a free $4 card to your hand.  (As I'm typing this, I see an infinite loop - in your Dawn phase, you can empty the Garrison pile, so I will have to add "other than Garrison" to it).

Early Experiment is a Laboratory variant (remember the effective +1 Action on cards played in your Dawn phase), which also gives you +1 Buy!  It can only be played in your Dawn phase though.  But if you did draw it during a later time in your turn, and didn't get a chance to you use, you can just top-deck it for next turn, as long as you are buying a Dawn or Action card (though not a Treasure or Victory card).

Postal Cart is similar to Venture, but without the +$1.  However, if you are able to play it in your Dawn phase (instead of your Buy phase), you get an extra +1 Card.

Teapot - in theDawn phase, this is almost the same as Bank, but gives $1 less since it doesn't give a coin for itself but it gives you +1 Buy instead (which can be very useful when adding up a lot of potential coins!)  If instead you play it in your Buy phase, it's a Silver, which is underwhelming at $5, unless you also played a Teapot in your Dawn phase which makes it now equivalent to a Gold, and it could even get better if you manage to get more than one of them played in your Dawn phase!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:47:34 pm by mathdude »
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 02:00:09 am »

The post above uses colour scheme from the Night-Action card, Werewolf, as well as the Night-Duration cards.  Originally, I had just used the normal blended colour for mixed-type cards, but I think the "night theme" colour pattern works better.  For comparison, here are the original card colour blends:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:44:25 am by mathdude »
he/him

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 07:03:24 am »
+1

This was already mentioned long ago, when Dawn cards were first introduced as a seemingly natural counterpart to Night cards, but the risk of dudding makes the cards potentially swingy. I like that you avoided this potential pitfall via doing more than just Night-Duration-Dawn ( the symmetrical counterpart to all those official Night-Durations).
So yeah, although I am personally not fan of the concept you have some fantastic ideas. A few short notes:

You don't really want to topdeck Treasures or Victories anyway, so Early Experiment can be simplified to topdecking anything you buy.

Postal Cart is either a Treasure-digging cantrip or a Treasure-digging Lab. That's too weak. Digging for Treasures is not that brilliant but above all, the chance that you play the card as Dawn is far smaller than playing it as cantrip (the card would arguably be weakish even if the chances were roughly identical).

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 09:03:59 am »

This was already mentioned long ago, when Dawn cards were first introduced as a seemingly natural counterpart to Night cards, but the risk of dudding makes the cards potentially swingy. I like that you avoided this potential pitfall via doing more than just Night-Duration-Dawn ( the symmetrical counterpart to all those official Night-Durations).
So yeah, although I am personally not fan of the concept you have some fantastic ideas.

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks!  (Also, credit to the other creators of some of these cards for bringing in new ideas I may not have thought of).  In the Fan Card Mechanics design contest, it became obvious that very few of the cards would be able to live as only Dawn type and be dead otherwise.  I think it's okay that there are a few, to add a bit of swingyness, since that's already natural in Dominion to a small extent, but not too many.  As a result, many cards ended up as multi-type, being able to play in another phase (even if they might be weaker in that phase).  There is the Reaction option as well (discussed below), and there is one or two more techniques that will be shown in Release #4.

You don't really want to topdeck Treasures or Victories anyway, so Early Experiment can be simplified to topdecking anything you buy.

As I was posting these late last night, I realized the wording for Early Experiment wasn't very clear.  But I was too tired at the time to correct it.  I even had to think twice about whether I wanted Early Experiment to be top-decked, or the bought card to be top-decked.  Your comment seems to be based on the 2nd of those two, but I do actually want it to be the Early Experiment that is top-decked - it's a way to make the card not completely dead if drawn after your Dawn phase.  I will update the wording for that card eventually to say "... you may reveal this from your hand to put this onto your deck."

Postal Cart is either a Treasure-digging cantrip or a Treasure-digging Lab. That's too weak. Digging for Treasures is not that brilliant but above all, the chance that you play the card as Dawn is far smaller than playing it as cantrip (the card would arguably be weakish even if the chances were roughly identical).

Assuming you always get to play it in your Dawn phase (which is wrong, I know... but if you don't have any draw in your Action or Buy phases) - let's say your deck density draws an average card worth $1 (effectively drawing a Copper) - then Postal Cart is the same as Venture, which costs $5.  If you rarely get to play it in your Dawn phase, but always in your Action phase (again, wrong... but if you have no terminal draw) - then this turns a Gold revealed by Venture into a Silver or a revealed Silver into a Copper or a revealed Copper into nothing - and I agree, this actually is quite weak.  Then we add the possibility of drawing the card dead entirely, with terminal draw - ok, I see what you're saying.  Do you think it would be okay sitting at $3 instead of $4?  Or would you recommend more major changes?
he/him

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 11:06:34 am »

At $3 it might be better, hard to say. You can also buff it. Digging for a card you name is something that comes to mind, that’s novel but I am not sure that this is what you are aiming for ... and of course it makes the card more skill dependent, especially when you play it as Treasure (you gotta know what’s left in your deck and what you can dig for).

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 12:59:14 pm »

At $3 it might be better, hard to say. You can also buff it. Digging for a card you name is something that comes to mind, that’s novel but I am not sure that this is what you are aiming for ... and of course it makes the card more skill dependent, especially when you play it as Treasure (you gotta know what’s left in your deck and what you can dig for).

I could have it dig for "a Treasure other than Copper or Postal Cart".  (I was just going to say other than Copper, but I realized hitting another Postal Cart is even worse, especially in your Buy phase).  That might even be able to keep it at $4 cost, since you know it will hit at least the equivalent of a Silver (assuming you didn't buy this before any other Treasure cards!) if not better.
he/him

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 01:17:02 pm »

Hitting a Postal Cart is not problematic, digging will just continue. With Bank, you actually want to play that other Postal Cart.
I don’t think that a non-Copper wording is elegant but it slightly buffs the card and makes it more interesting (not that you don’t wanna trash Coppers because of it, but hey, it does something).

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 10:27:11 pm »

“Start of turn” effects can include playing a card (Captain), giving you coins for this turn (Raider), gaining a card (Cobbler), and many other effects.  When you are instructed to play a card in this phase of a certain Type (e.g. an Action card with Captain, or a Gold card with Reap), it is temporarily considered to be the phase when that Type of card would normally be played, for the purposes of resolving any effects which depend on a particular Phase.

I play Crown at the start of my turn. Is it my Action phase or my Buy phase? Both phases are when its "type of card would normally be played", as it is both an Action and a Treasure.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 11:13:19 pm »

“Start of turn” effects can include playing a card (Captain), giving you coins for this turn (Raider), gaining a card (Cobbler), and many other effects.  When you are instructed to play a card in this phase of a certain Type (e.g. an Action card with Captain, or a Gold card with Reap), it is temporarily considered to be the phase when that Type of card would normally be played, for the purposes of resolving any effects which depend on a particular Phase.

I play Crown at the start of my turn. Is it my Action phase or my Buy phase? Both phases are when its "type of card would normally be played", as it is both an Action and a Treasure.

I believe I remember reading somewhere that "Start of turn" is considered part of your Action phase, currently.  So for the purposes of this expansion, I wanted to make it explicitly clear that Start of turn can take on the effects of any phase, depending on what card (or type of card) is being asked to be played at that time.
he/him

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 01:22:37 am »

I believe I remember reading somewhere that "Start of turn" is considered part of your Action phase, currently.  So for the purposes of this expansion, I wanted to make it explicitly clear that Start of turn can take on the effects of any phase, depending on what card (or type of card) is being asked to be played at that time.

Right, but Crown can be played either during your Action phase or your Buy phase, so with this ruling, it's unclear which one of those phases it is while a start-of-turn Crown is being resolved. Which makes a difference in what Crown does.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 02:03:11 am »
+1

Right, but Crown can be played either during your Action phase or your Buy phase, so with this ruling, it's unclear which one of those phases it is while a start-of-turn Crown is being resolved. Which makes a difference in what Crown does.

Yes, but you can't play Crown at the start of your turn, unless something else tells you to play it.  And I don't believe there is (nor do I believe I designed any) cards which allow you to play a generic "card", nor any that give you a choice of what Type to play.  Most of the time, you are told to play an Action card, so if you are playing Crown it has to then be resolved as an Action card being played in the "temporarily considered Action phase".

When you are instructed to play a card in this phase of a certain Type (e.g. an Action card with Captain, or a Gold card with Reap), it is temporarily considered to be the phase when that Type of card would normally be played, for the purposes of resolving any effects which depend on a particular Phase.

You are told to play an Action card, so you play Crown.  But because you were "instructed to play a card of the certain type of "Action", now "it is temporarily considered to be the phase when [Action cards] would normally be played".  Crown says "if it is your Action phase, you may play an Action from your hand twice".  You cannot trigger the "if it is your Buy phase" part of the card under these rules in this scenario.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 01:14:19 pm »

Split Piles and Traveller Lines:

In this post, you will find 4 sets of Split Piles and 2 Traveller Lines that will be included in this expansion.  As always, I welcome any and all feedback.  These types of cards are some of the most finicky to design, as both types need to have appropriate interaction and balance, and I have tried to maintain those aspects.

Split Piles:

Lender
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a Treasure from your hand.
Repository
$5 - Treasure
$2
Reveals cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure. If you revealed any Lenders or Repositories, put them in your hand, +1 Buy, +$2.  Discard the rest.

Speculation
$2 - Treausre
+1 Buy
+$1 for each Speculation and Salesman you have in play.
Salesman
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may play a Speculation from your hand for +1 Card.

Deserted Smithy
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
If you have more than 1 card in play, discard 2 cards.  Otherwise, put a card onto your deck.
Farrier
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While this is in play, when you play a Deserted Smithy, you do not discard 2 cards.

Distillery
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Discard any number of Victory cards, revealing them.  +1 Card per card discarded.

1(VP)
Greenhouse
$6 - Treasure-Victory
$2

Worth 1(VP) for each differently named Victory card of which you have at least 3 copies.

Traveller Lines:

Homage
$2 - Dawn-Action-Traveller
+1 Card
If it's your Action phase, you may play a Traveller from your hand.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Fealty
Fealty
$3* - Action-Traveller
+2 Cards

When you discard any card other than from in play, you may reveal this from your hand to put it and this on top of your deck.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Feud.
Feud
$4* - Action-Attack-Traveller
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards one.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Offering.
Offering
$5* - Action-Treasure-Traveller
If it's your Action phase, +1 Card, +1 Action, +$1.
Otherwise, +$1 for each Traveller you have in play.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Fief.
Fief
$6* - Action-Victory-Traveller
Set this aside.

Worth 4% plus 1% for each Fief you have set aside, including this.
(This is not in the supply)

Borrowed Money
$2 - Action-Traveller
+$2
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Temporary Loan.
Temporary Loan
$3 - Action-Traveller
+1 Card
+$2
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Investment.
Investment
$4 - Action-Traveller
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Growth Fund.
Growth Fund
$5 - Action-Traveller
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+$1
Discard 1 card.

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Dividends.
Dividends
$6 - Action-Duration-Traveller
+1 Action
For the rest of the game, when you play a Traveller, choose one: +1 Card; or +$1.
(This stays in play. This is not in the supply.)

Lender and Repository are both quite weak on their own, but can be very strong together.  You will almost never buy Lender without a plan to buy Repository once they become available, unless you also have a card like Tactician available (when playing Treasure cards in your Action phase can be helpful).  I considered putting the cost at $3 and letting Lender be +1 Action/Card/Buy to help you empty the Lenders quicker, but with a +Buy ending up on Repository, I didn't think they both needed the +Buy.  However, once you have both in your deck, you want to land them in the right order as often as possible.

Ideally, you play a Lender which lets you play a Repository in your Action phase, then while resolving it, you reveal at least another Lender/Repository, and keep repeating, all within your Action phase.  Then each Repository is worth $4 and 1 Buy.  Even if you end up not getting the Lender, and just play Repositories in your Buy phase, revealing Lenders are still helpful as they make the Repository worth that much more.

Speculation and Salesman flip the Treasure/Action cards the other way, from Lender/Speculation.  Again, the first buy, Speculation, is weak on its own.  $2 card to get $1 and 1 Buy is not great.  But even if you can land 2 together, then they are combined worth $3 and 2 Buys (and it gets better from there).  With the high ceiling, I want them to cost $3, but it takes a while to get there, so I think they are okay at $2.

Once you can get Saleman, a Peddler variant, you want to have as many Speculation cards in your deck as possible, to turn your Peddler-Salesman into a Lab-Peddler!  And then as you play them, your Speculation cards become even more valuable - very thematic.

Deserted Smithy and Farrier produce a strong synergy like Sauna and Avanto.  The Deserted Smithy is either an expensive Courtyard, or it's better than Warehouse for the same cost.  But as soon as you bring Farrier into play - a Lab variant - then your Deserted Smithy cards become like a regular Smithy.  Ideally, you still want a Village, but even without it, a net +3 cards (1 extra from Farrier, 2 extra from Deserted Smithy) is nothing to laugh at.  Now you just need an extra Buy.

Distillery and Greenhouse show what a split pile can look like with Victory cards.  There would be 6 of each, and in a 2-player game you play with 4 of each (to match the 8 or 12 cards in a normal Victory pile).  I started with only one of them being a Victory card, but then I got confused as to how many cards there should be (do you do 4 of the Action card with a 2-player game and 6 otherwise? do you keep 5 of the Action card, then 4 or 6 of the Victory for a 9 or 11 card pile? do you keep 5 of the Action card, but maintain the 8 or 12 card pile, meaning 3 or 7 of the Victory card?).  In the end, it was easiest to just make them both Victory cards.  Then I had to make them interact with each other!

A Shepherd variant made sense.  If we're adding more Victory cards, we need to do something with them.  Distillery is a Cellar/Shepherd combination, but weaker than both.  But it's also worth 1(VP), so it has to cost more than an Estate.  The Greenhouse likes you to have a a lot of different types of Victory cards.  It is comparable to Harem, being a Treasure/Victory giving you $2 and costing $6.  If you get 3 Provinces and keep your 3 Estates, it is identical to Harem.  If you can win the 4-card split (in 2-player, or get 3 of the 6 in 3+ players) on Distillery or Greenhouse, it can be worth more (or can also justify trashing your starting Estates).  Even without other Alt-VP cards, they could potentially be worth 5(VP) with Province/Duchy/Estate/Distillery/Greenhouse, but good luck getting 3 Provinces (and maybe even Greenhouses) if you are getting that much green.  This is probably a must-buy if there are other Alt-VP cards available.

Homage-Fealty-Feud-Offering-Fief is a line that runs through 5 different kinds of Action cards (Dawn, Reaction, Attack, Treasure/Action, and Victory/Action).  In terms of when they get played (just for elegance), I would like to have switched the order of Reaction and Attack, but for cost and power level, it made more sense this way.

Homage is a straight cantrip in your Dawn phase, just like Page (start of its own Traveller line), but it's only a cantrip in your Action phase if you have another Traveller in your hand to play.  It's weak, but it starts you down a powerful line.

Fealty is a card that rarely misses, because of its reaction.  Any time you are not able to play it (it was drawn dead, terminal actions collided, etc.), you can topdeck it.  But to do that, you just need to keep another card in your hand.  When you discard that other card from your hand during clean-up, you put that card and your Fealty back on your deck.  Sometimes this will mean topdecking an Estate.  But if you have more money than you need (e.g. $7 but only 1 Buy), you can topdeck a Copper or even better with it, to make sure to exchange your Fealty that shuffle, rather than missing it entirely.  I know it's the dreaded double-line card that we try to avoid, but being a Traveller, and wanting a Reaction, I didn't see much other choice.

Feud is the attack in the line, and it's a cantrip!  However, it can't get any worse than a Militia, since it will only bring others down to 3 cards in hand (and even so, only if you play 2 of them).  It it counteracted somewhat well with Fealty, as you discard a different card then reveal Fealty to put both onto your deck (then making you immune to a second Feud attack).  This isn't ideal, but it's also not the worst thing that could happen.

Fief is similar to Distant Lands, but can grow a bit if you invest heavily in this Traveller line.  Unlike Distant Lands, it is already worth 4(VP), but can be worth 5(VP) if you can play it and set it aside before the game ends.  It can even be worth 6(VP) if you can get a 2nd set aside.  Is this too high - should I start it at 3(VP) +1(VP) for each set aside?  I feel like, compared to Duchy, this is too weak.

Borrowed Money-Temporary Loan-Investment-Growth Fund-Dividends is a line where you need to get to that end card as quick as possible.  Each card is a bit weak for its level, but becomes significantly stronger once you can get Dividends in play.

Borrowed Money is a terminal Silver, but it makes you discard a card.  This usually isn't a problem at the beginning of the game, as you have Estates to discard anyway.

Temporary Loan is a terminal Silver with sifting.  It's okay, but I wouldn't usually pay $3 for it straight up - good thing it's just a middle card of a Traveller line where you want to keep going.

Investment is where you start seeing this money-themed line start picking up ground.  It's a Peddler variant, but it makes you discard.  It is the same as a Poacher with 1 empty supply pile.  Hopefully you still have Estates (or at least Coppers) to discard at this point!

Growth fund is a sifting-Peddler-Lab variant.  It starts looking really good at this point, with your "investments" (and loans, etc.) paying off.  It almost feels too strong, and I might need to put the "discard a card" before the vanilla bonuses.  But you're not going to sit on this card anyway - you definitely want to upgrade it into Dividends immediately, so it might be okay where it is.

Dividends makes the whole line make sense.  It's where everything pays off!  All the other cards that make you "discard a card" can be that much better by just drawing a card when you play them.  But if you're playing Borrowed Money or Temporary Loan, you may stick with the +$1 option, to make sure you don't draw a dead Action card.  Imagine being able to get 2 (or even 3) Dividends in play!

(Edit - Investment updated with +1 Buy, non-supply cards in Travellers Lines had * added to their cost)
Original version of Investment:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:28:52 am by mathdude »
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 05:04:14 pm »
+1

Good stuff. A couple of notes: Traveller line prices beyond the first should have an asterisk (since it is not in the Supply; see Soldier, Fugitive, etc.). Also, Investment is functionally identical to Oasis (except for the Traveller effect), so is overpriced at $4.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2021, 05:53:09 pm »

Good stuff. A couple of notes: Traveller line prices beyond the first should have an asterisk (since it is not in the Supply; see Soldier, Fugitive, etc.). Also, Investment is functionally identical to Oasis (except for the Traveller effect), so is overpriced at $4.

Thanks. I'll update the costs soon enough. Maybe for Investment, I'll add +1 Buy. Then it's a Market then discard.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 08:24:03 am »

(It's time for another set of cards.  I actually started writing out this post about 4 days ago, but it just took so long to get everything down!)

Artifacts (and associated cards):

As indicated in the Flavour Text, you go out early each morning looking for valuable items.  These items are Artifacts, similar to those from Dominion: Renaissance.  However, these Artifacts are grouped together with a sub-type: Artifact-Gem.  (I considered having Artifact-Gem appear in the top-right corner of the landscape cards, but the text ended up very small.  Instead, using the "Heirloom banner" option in shardofhonor's card creator looked decent.)  By creating this sub-type of Artifact, it opens the design space to create other sub-type Artifact groups (maybe a set of Artifact-Weapons, Artifact-Coins, Artifact-Pottery, etc.) with similar but slightly varying features and setup.

There are times that all Artifact-Gems will be in a game, and other times that only 1 or 2 will be.  When all of them are available, there is also a Gem Store.  Setup and rules are detailed below.  Similar to Artifacts from Renaissance, there is only 1 of each Artifact, which can sometimes be taken by others.  But while you have it, you have a certain benefit.  Sometimes this happens at start-of-turn, and other times it triggers at other points.

Additional Rules:
(in addition to all "Official Rules" about Artifacts from Dominion: Renaissance)
  • If only Kingdom cards from New Dawn are being used this game, the Artifact-Gems and Gem Store are all used. If a mix of Kingdom cards from New Dawn and other sets is being used, then the use of Artifact-Gems and Gem Store should be determined randomly, based on the proportion of New Dawn cards in use. For example, choose a random Kingdom card being used - such as the last card dealt from the Randomizer deck - and if it is from New Dawn, use all Artifact-Gems and Gem Store. Do not use the same card to choose whether or not to use Shelters as you use to choose whether or not to use Platinum and Colony (from Prosperity) or Shelters (from Dark Ages).
  • If Gemologist is one of the Kingdom cards, all Artifact-Gems and Gem Store are included in the game, even if they were not selected randomly as described above.
  • Additionally, individual Artifact-Gems are included in a game if a specific Kingdom Card requires it (e.g. if Emerald Miner is in the game, the Emerald Artifact-Gem is also available), but this does not trigger the addition of the Gem Store or other Artifact-Gems.

Gem Store and Gemologist:

Gem Store
(communal mat)
You may buy any Artifact-Gem from this store for $8.
In your Buy phase, you may trash a Gold and Silver and discard 2 other Treasures, all from your hand, to take any Artifact-Gem from another player.

Gemologist
$5 - Dawn
Choose one: +3 Cards; or play any number of Treasures from your hand and pay all your $, then if you paid at least $6, take any one Artifact-Gem (from the Gem Store or another player).

Gem-type Artifacts and Cards that let you take them:

Sapphire
Artifact-Gem
When a card instructs you to gain a card up to a certain cost, you may gain a card costing $1 more than that cost.
(This does not affect "gain a card costing $? more than...")
Sapphire Miner
$2 - Dawn-Action
If it's your Dawn phase, take the Sapphire. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $3.

Emerald
Artifact-Gem
When the first card is played each Dawn phase, if an Estate is on this then gain it or return it to the Supply; otherwise set aside an Estate on this from your hand or the Supply.
(Cards on this belong to no player, and stay with it when taken.)
Emerald Miner
$3 - Dawn-Action
If it's your Action phase, take the Emerald. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $4 and if it's a Victory card, +$1.

When you gain this, put your hand onto your deck.

Rhodonite
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your turn, discard up to 3 Dawn cards, revealing them. +3 Cards per card discarded.
Rhodonite Miner
$3 - Dawn
+1 Buy
+$2
Take the Rhodonite.

Ruby
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Ruby Miner. If you do, draw until you have 7 cards in hand. Otherwise, draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
Ruby Miner
$4 - Dawn-Action-Attack
If it's your Dawn phase, take the Ruby, each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards one. Otherwise, each other player discards an Action or Treasure (or reveals a hand without any).

Topaz
Artifact-Gem
Once per turn, at the start of your Buy phase, you may get +$1 for each card you played during your Dawn phase.
Topaz Miner
$4 - Dawn-Treasure
If it's your Dawn phase, +$2. Otherwise, +$1, take the Topaz, you may return to your Dawn phase.

Amethyst
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your Action phase, you may return any number of Curses from your hand to their pile. Gain a Copper to your hand for each Curse returned.
Amethyst Miner
$5 - Dawn-Action-Attack
If it's your Dawn phase, take the Amethyst, each other player may discard a Curse from their hand and if they don't, they gain a Curse to their hand. Otherwise, +1 Card, +$1, each other player gains a Curse.

Diamond
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your turn, choose a card that the player to your right gained on their last turn. You may gain a cheaper card to your hand that shares a type. If you do, each other player gains a copy of the card you gained.
Diamond Miner
$6 - Dawn
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
You may trash a card from your hand to take the Diamond.

Onyx
Artifact-Gem
At the start of your Clean-up phase, you may set aside one Dawn card (face up) instead of discarding it
Onyx Miner
$6 - Dawn-Action
If it's your Dawn phase, +2 Cards, take the Onyx. Otherwise, +3 Cards, +1 Action, discard 2 cards.

Overall, this set of cards was the first set that I designed for this full expansion.  As such, the Dawn-type cards (specifically those that are only Dawn, rather than multi-type) may not be at a fair power level compared to Dawn cards released earlier.  Some may require a reduction in cost, a buff to their abilities, or the addition of fail-safes (reaction ability, turned into multi-type, etc.).  Feel free to provide feedback on any of these types of things.  I'm willing to make changes.

Gem Store is a place to store Artifact-Gems that have not yet been taken.  It also gives instructions for how they can be taken.  Absent of Kingdom cards that let you gain the Artifact Gems, you can buy one directly from the Gem Store for $8.  This is expensive, but they are not meant to be easy to get - and in some games, most or all of them may remain in the Gem Store all game.  Sometimes you get an early $8 with only a single Buy, and it's too early to start greening.  It's at these times that one of the Artifact-Gems might pair well with your strategy for the game.

But because of how hard it is to buy one (that cannot be gained by a Card), it is even more costly to take one from someone (usually who paid this $8 to get it).  In order to get it from them, you need to trash a Silver and Gold, and discard 2 other Treasure cards.  This could potentially cost you only $7, but you have then lost a Silver and Gold from your deck.  I had considered needing to pay something to the person you're stealing from in this manner, as compensation.  But this was not thematic with searching for and taking Artifacts, and sometimes life in Dominion is tough and unfair.

I know the ability to take one from someone else who paid $8 for it can be seen as political/targeted, which is generally taboo in card design.  But I don't see that this would happen very often at all in these games.  I feel it's fair enough here.  It's just a question of whether I have the right cost to Buy from the Gem Store, and the right penalty in order to steal from someone else.

Gemologist is a catch-all card able to make taking the Artifact-Gems a little easier than getting them straight from the Gem Store's text.  It uses text from Storyteller, forcing you to play, then spend Treasures in your Action phase, if you want to take one of the Artifact-Gems, and it doesn't matter at this point where you take it from (because others can just get this card as well and take it back from you this way).

Alternatively, or for times when you don't have enough money to take an Artifact-Gem, you can draw 3 cards instead.  However, like all Dawn cards, when played in the Dawn phase they effectively have +1 Action.  So this is actually a Super-Lab, for the price of a Laboratory, but only if you start with it in your hand (or draw another one with another Gemologist or similar).  But this restriction to Dawn phase applies to the Artifact-Gem taking ability too.

Sapphire (and Sapphire Miner) - The Artifact really empowers any Workshop variant, turning a gain of a card costing up to $4 into a gain of a card costing up to $5 (or things like Vampire and Artisan gain a card costing up to $6).  These pairings will happen from time to time, and will make the Sapphire very sought after, especially when Sapphire Miner in play (which will likely also make it contested, though it's only helpful if it can be played in your Dawn phase).  In games without Sapphire Miner, getting the first $8 to buy it from the Gem Store might become very important.  But when it is less competitive (absent of Workshop variants), the Artifact basically turns the Card into a $2 Workshop for the person who holds it.  Even so, when you draw it in your Action phase instead of your initial hand, you can at least still gain a Silver, Village, or other $3 card.  It should be noted that the Artifact only modifies Workshop variants ("gain a card costing up to X"), rather than Remodel variants ("gain a card costing up to X more than...").

Emerald (and Emerald Miner) - The Artifact is an early-game way to get rid of your Estates and a late-game way to get an extra Estate or two in case those couple points make the difference.  It does activate slowly, as it takes 2 triggers to complete each of the cycles, but it can trigger on every single person's turn so that does help.  This might seem overpowering in 4+ player games, but then you also potentially have that many more people trying to take the Artifact from you, so it should balance a little.

For the Emerald Miner, it is one of a few of these cards that do not take the Artifact in the Dawn phase.  Basically everything on this card feels a little mixed up (compared to other Artifacts and associated Kingdom cards), including a "when-gain" triggering you to put your hand onto your deck (rather than to put the gained card onto your deck) - partly mirroring the opposing effects in can be used for, changing from start of game to end of game play with the Artifact.  I'll have to play a few games with it to see if these things make sense, or if I need to make things feel a little more traditional.  Also, playing off the Emerald (green) theme, if the card is used to gain a Victory card, it gives you an additional benefit of $1, which isn't great for Estates, but works very well with Alt-VP cards like Mill and Gardens (and just imaging this combined with the Sapphire!)

Rhodonite (and Rhodonite Miner) - The Artifact will vary in power based on what Dawn cards are in the game.  But assuming there will be occasionally some that are mediocre, even when you actually draw them in your initial hand to be able to use in your Dawn phase, it still might sometimes be worthwhile to discard them this way for a double-Lab, starting your turn with 3 new (so a net of 2 more) cards in hand.  And this can stack!  Since someone will rarely have more than 2 or 3 or 4 at the start of your turn, I debated not having a limit on the number of cards you can do it with... but then with Tactician, or even to a lesser extent other Duration-draw cards, I felt a limit was needed.  Maybe a limit of 2 would be better, as that still could result in starting your turn with 9 cards.

For the Rhodonite Miner, having a potential of so many cards in your starting hand, you will sometimes have a lot of coins.  A simple +Buy made sense - welcome back Woodcutter simplicity.  But it's a Dawn-only card now, and is paired with the Artifact.  So a few extra coins to go with the Buy is always helpful.

Ruby (and Ruby Miner) - This Artifact will generally draw you at least 1 extra card to start your turn, but can draw more if you're willing to discard a Ruby Miner (hand-reducing Attack card) or if you've been attacked by such a card.  If you end up with 2 Ruby Miners in your starting hand with the Artifact in play, it makes sense to discard one of them for the extra draw.  Otherwise, you'll have to make the decision.  In the Dawn phase, Ruby Miner will both let you take the Ruby and make opponents discard one card (if they have more than 3).  But you have to play 2 of them to get the same effect as a Militia, without getting the coins.  Alternatively, in your Action phase, you can play it to force opponents to discard a Treasure or Action card, which can be more damaging.  And if you had a Village as well, you can even make them do this twice!  This could be quite dangerous.  However, the card doesn't do much else for you, so you will probably want to try and keep the Ruby, for its extra benefit.

Topaz (and Topaz Miner) - This Artifact can give you extra coins.  Sometimes only 1 or 2.  But if you can land things right, maybe quite a lot more.  The Kingdom card is another one where taking the Artifact happens outside of your Dawn phase.  But when playing it in the Treasure phase, when you can take the Artifact, it allows you to return to your Dawn phase.  Sometimes this won't make much sense at all, but in many games, being able to return to your Dawn phase will allow you to play more Dawn cards, which might be a huge benefit.  But since the Artifact triggers at the start of your Buy phase (but only once per turn), you may actually hit that point multiple times, and you will likely want to trigger it only the final time you enter your Buy phase for maximum potential benefit.  But you will have to choose whether to play a Topaz Miner in your Dawn phase for extra coins (1 more on play, plus another if you have the Artifact), or if you save it for playing in your Buy phase to let you return to Dawn phase again.  These two cards (Artifact and Kingdom card) really pair together well, and are even more powerful if there are other Dawn cards in play.

Amethyst (and Amethyst Miner) - The Artifact is a convenient way to exchange Curses for Coppers, which, while still junk cards, are noticeably better, especially since the exchange actually puts the Copper directly into your hand for use that turn.  If you can play the Amethyst Master in your Dawn phase (which you'd probably want to if you don't yet have the Artifact), it acts as a Curser similar to Mountebank, allowing the discard of a Curse to not be attacked.  But the gained Curse for those who do get one goes into hand, so if they get attacked again they become immune to the second hit.  Alternatively, playing it in your Action phase is almost identical to the original Witch, just giving you +1 Card and +$1 instead of +2 Cards (so I maybe should modify this a bit more, but I'll leave it for now).

Diamond (and Diamond Miner) - The Artifact has similarities to Smugglers, but since you can gain a card every turn, it gains a weaker card rather than the same one.  But a weaker card is not always that helpful, so it is gained to hand to be immediately used.  To offset the potential power of this, everyone gains the same card (but only the person with Diamond gains it to hand).  So if the previous player gained a Gold, you can get a Silver to hand (and everyone else gains a Silver as well).  You could even junk everyone with this by gaining a Copper to hand, especially if you had something like a Moneylender in hand.  Or if they gain a $6 Action, you can also gain a $5 Action to hand.

The Diamond Miner itself is a Peddler variant with optional trashing, played only in the Dawn phase.  But if you do trash a card with it, you will take the Diamond (which I suspect will be a preference just about any time you don't have it already, even when you don't necessarily have something you want to trash).

Onyx (and Onyx Miner) - This Artifact is a catch-all saver for Dawn cards.  If you drew one after your Dawn phase (and then didn't get to play it), you can set it aside during clean-up and then add it to your hand for the next turn, guaranteeing you can play it for the next Dawn phase.  It just saves 1 though, so if you are drawing your whole deck regularly, don't buy too many Dawn cards (at least not Dawn-only).  For the Kingdom card, if played in the Dawn phase, it's a Lab plus taking the Artifact.  But if played in the Action phase, it's a filtering cantrip/Lab variant, drawing 3 cards but discarding 2 just like the Forum.  Maybe that means a should modify it a bit, but I like the balance between the Dawn and Action play abilities so I'll leave it for now.

Overall, this set of cards creates the basis for this expansion, with the two main themes (and new mechanics) of Dawn cards and new Artifacts.  The other cards were built and designed around them.  The balance of different costs, different types of cards (Attack, gainer, trasher, labs and draw, extra Buy, and sources of virtual coin), and interaction between cards should be evident through this set, and balanced out by other cards inthe expansion.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 12:19:10 pm »

Any opinions and feedback on the Artifacts? Looking to improve them if needed.

I hope to get the next set of cards posted in the next few days.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2021, 02:28:13 pm »

Multi-Type Cards:

In this post, you will find 9 more Kingdom cards - all containing at least 2 different Types.  Some of the combinations are new.  Some can only be found on one or two official cards.  Overall, this set continues one of the secondary themes of this expansion - multiple things happening (or multiple options), and balance required in design (and also while playing).  When some cards can be played in different phases (e.g. official cards like Werewolf and Crown), it's not always immediately obvious when you want to play them - there are two more Action-Treasure cards in this set like Crown.  Also in this set, there are cards costing each of $1 and $7 - the only one of each of these in this expansion.

Many of these cards contain some more complex wordings and interactions.  And as such, I suspect these will require some of the most changes or minor modifications to make the cards work, and stay balanced and interesting.  Please provide feedback on where the cards can be improved.

Multi-type cards:

Pledge
$1 - Treasure-Reaction
$1
Return this to its pile. You may gain a Copper to your hand.

When any player gains a card costing $2 or less, you may discard this from your hand to gain a Pledge to your hand.

Borrowed Land
$3 - Victory-Reaction
1VP

When another player gains a Victory card, you may trash this from your hand to gain a cheaper Victory card (than the one gained).

Working Hut
$3 - Action-Treasure
If it's your Action phase, reveal a Treasure card from your hand to gain a copy of it. Otherwise, gain a copy of an Action card you have in play.

Quicksand
$4 - Action-Attack-Duration
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards. Until then, when another player gains an Action card they gain a Copper and when they gain a Victory card they gain a Curse.

Evanescence
$5 - Treasure-Duration-Victory
$3, +1 Buy
At the start of your next turn $2, return this to its pile.

2VP

Inventor's Shop
$5 - Action-Treasure
If it's your Action phase, gain a non-Action card costing up to $5 to your hand. Otherwise, gain a non-Treasure card costing up to $5 onto your deck.

Ley
$5 - Action-Victory
+3 Cards

1VP

Magic Coin
$5 - Treasure-Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, $1.

On your turns with this in play, if you have an odd number of Magic Coins in play, Treasure cards cost $1 less; otherwise, Action cards cost $1 less.

Swords
$7 - Action-Attack-Victory
Each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards a non-Victory card costing at least $4 (or reveals they can't).

Worth 1VP for each 4 non-Victory cards costing at least $5 in your deck.

Pledge is a single-use Copper that costs $1, but gives an option for it to be a single-use Silver that ends up being replaced with a Copper.  The way it's currently worded, if someone gains a card costing $2 or less (including yourself), you could theoretically empty the entire Pledge pile.  I don't think this is a problem, as it's not that desirable to have a lot of these (it could spike you one or two Provinces if you do it early, at the cost of filling your deck with Coppers after).  I could adjust this by having the gained Pledge not go into your hand (or adding something like "once per turn" or similar).  Is this card interesting enough to even buy at $1?  Or should it also have +1 Buy?

Borrowed Land is exactly what it sounds like.  Most Victory cards are land-themed.  For $3, you can buy what starts as an Estate.  But using its reaction, you can turn Borrowed Land into a Duchy if someone else buys a Province (or even a Nobles, Harem, etc.).  In Colony games, it's even better, as you could turn it into a Province!  But like Distant Lands, if you can't manage to get it to do what it's intended to do, then it's just a fairly useless card taking up space in your deck (at least this one gives you 1VP, unlike Distant Lands).

Working Hut is a Workshop variant.  And like Crown, it can be played in your Action phase or your Buy phase.  As an Action, you can gain a copy of a Treasure card you have in hand (this is great if you have Gold, Platinum, or even some Kingdom Treasures in your hand - not so much if the best you have is Silver or just Copper).  As a Treasure, it helps you build your engine, gaining a copy of an Action card you have in play (and again, sometimes this is better than Workshop and can gain a $5 Action or better, but other times the only Action in play might be the Working Hut itself).  This could have been an Action-Night card, but I didn't want to include Night cards in my expansion.

Quicksand is a weaker version of Swamp Hag.  This card will only give others a Curse if they buy a Victory card.  But it can also junk them with Copper if they buy an Action card, so not all is lost in the early- and mid-game.  And starting your next turn with 2 more cards is nothing to blink an eye at.

Evanescence has some similarities to Death Cart, even though this card is a Treasure.  For $5, you can get $3 and an extra Buy to go with it!  But it's single-use (unlike Death Cart, which can sometimes be used multiple times before it gets trashed).  You even get to keep it for a second turn and get $2 next turn.  That seems awfully expensive for a single use Gold plus Silver though.  That's why it's also worth 2VP.  So it's a Duchy cost, but only 2VP if you never use it.  It's a spike Treasure card to help push you up to higher monetary values.  But its golden spot is if you can get a few of them in play (for the $3 and extra Buys) on your final turn of the game - whether you end the game or someone after you does.  Then it's still in play, doesn't get returned to its pile, and gets you the 2VP.

Inventor's Shop is a $5-cost, $5-gainer card, similar to Vampire.  It's probably strong at $5, but would look weak at $6 compared to Altar or Artisan because of the limitations on what you can gain.  In your Action phase, the card is gained to your hand but can't gain an Action card (so it works well with good $5 Kingdom Treasures, or late-game for Duchies though the gain-to-hand doesn't matter then).  In your Buy phase, the card cannot be a Treasure, but goes onto your deck (similar to an Artisan, so this feels too strong at $5 - maybe it needs a bit of a nerf?  In a fan card design contest recently, I used this card but in the Buy phase, I believe it could only gain a card you didn't have in Play).  Open to suggestions here.

Ley is probably the most boring card here.  It's an Estate and Smithy merged.  For an extra $1, you get a Smithy variant (almost always useful on its own) that also adds to your total score.

Magic Coin cares about whether there are an odd or even number of them in play, similar to Idol.  To make it easier to land multiples, it's a Duration card that gives you $1 both this turn and next.  And on top of that, it can reduce the cost of cards, similar to Bridge (though these effects don't stack, and only apply to one of Treasures or Action cards, depending on how many Magic Coins you have in play).  I'm starting to wonder if it feels a little weak.  Might I need to reduce it to cost only $4, or else give it a buff to keep at $5?  Or is it okay?

Swords is the $7 card in this expansion.  I'm not sure if it's worth that yet or not, but I wanted to have a $7 card, so if it needs a buff, I'll give it something extra.  At face value, it's an Action-Victory card, like Nobles.  Let's assume that between Gold and $5-6 Action cards, you have somewhere between 8 and 11 of them at the end of the game - that makes this card worth 2VP.  If you can spike it to 12+ of those cards, then this is at least as good as a Duchy.  On top of that, it's got a fairly powerful attack, making opponents discard a non-Victory card costing at least $4.  But it's got no immediate benefit to the player playing it (and I feel like maybe it should, rather than just the VP value at the end of game - though I don't want to make the card too "full" of text).  It's like dueling though, because this card wants you to have lots of expensive cards in your deck, but that also makes you more susceptible to attacks by this card - you want to win the duel most often though to end up ahead.

Overall thoughts?  How much would you recommend changing?
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2021, 01:40:21 pm »

Remaining Kingdom Cards:

In this post, you will find the remaining 8 Kingdom cards for this expansion.  They fill in some of the missing gaps, such as Villages, a few more Cantrips, an Attack, Reaction, and Victory card.

The final cards:

Empty Village
$2 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Discard 1 card.

Crooked Broker
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand reveals one (their choice). They discard it or put it onto their deck (your choice).

Deep Mines
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+$3

While this is in play, you may not play Treasures in your Buy phase and you may not buy Deep Mines.

Watchman
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck. You may trash any number of them and put the rest back in any order.

Foundry
$5 - Action-Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.

When one of your cards is trashed, you may discard this from your hand for +2 Cards.

Peddler's Market
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1 per Peddler's Market you have in play.

Full Village
$6 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1

Realm
$6 - Victory
Worth 2VP for each set of Estate-Duchy-Province you have.

Empty Village is basically a village most of the time, since you will often have a dead card (e.g. Victory) to get rid of, except once you've optimized your deck before you start buying provinces.  However, you can't use too many of them, otherwise you will start having to discard useful cards.

Crooked Broker is an attack that first gives a choice to the other players (which card to reveal), then a choice to you (whether they discard it or put it on their deck).  A revealed dead card, like a Victory or Curse will likely always be put onto their deck.  A Copper could go either way, depending on how they've built their deck and where you are in the game.  And other cards will often get discarded.  But you can get hit with this twice, since it affects people with 4 or more cards, so watch out!

Deep Mines is a $4 non-terminal Gold!  However, it comes at a cost - you cannot play any Treasures, and you cannot buy another Deep Mines.  So it requires some set-up, in buying at least 2 of them (or having other Actions with virtual coins) to get much useful stuff.  But with decent trashing, you can set up a fairly decent deck just with copies of this card.  Landing 2 together can get Duchies (or Golds if you want to switch away from Deep Mines late-game).  Landing 3 together gets you provinces.

Watchman is a sifter, similar to other similarly named cards (such as Lookout and Night Watchman).  But this card gives you the option to trash or put back, without the option to discard.

Foundry is a Cantrip optional trasher.  Trashing is helpful, although a bit expensive at $5.  But its real benefit is its reaction - it's a Lab when you trash a card (on your turn or someone else's), but since you discard it from its reaction, you can potentially draw it again.

Peddler's Market is obviously a Peddler variant.  With your first one, it's a basic Peddler.  If you play 2 at a time, they're each effectively giving you $1.5.  If you can play 3 in a turn, they average out to $2 each, which is really good.  Don't let your opponent(s) run away with this pile!

Full Village is a Market with an extra Action - similar to the Grand Market, but adding an extra +Action to bump it up to $6 is probably a bit weaker than an extra coin, so it doesn't have a buying restriction.  It would be nice to pair these with Smithies or Hunting Grounds, but it's also a lot harder to get multiple $6 "villages" than it is to get the original $3 Village.

Realm rewards you for having a lot of "land" (Victory cards).  Right now, it gives 2VP for each set of Estate-Duchy-Province you have, but I feel like this is a bit weak at $6.  Maybe I'll need to make it worth 3VP for each set?  Or drop the cost down to $5?  If you are getting into the Realms, you'll obviously want to have at least 2 each of Duchy and Province, to make the Realms worth 4VP.  It would be tough to get 3 of each set, and still be able to buy more than 1 Realm (at 6VP).  But it's worth the challenge if you can handle green in your deck.
he/him
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 20 queries.