Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #111: Chasing Enlightenment  (Read 10604 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #111: Chasing Enlightenment
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:35:57 am »
+7

WDC #111: Chasing Enlightenment

For this contest, design a card that cares about a token with a negative effect. Here is an example:

To be more precise:

- Your submission can use this token or any other token. In principle, you can also use existing tokens like Debt or Coffers (but see rules below).
- It has to be a token you can have more than one copy of. It can't be "start with one, do this thing once to get rid of it".
- The card needs to care about the token (edit: or not), and having it must be negative. Swashbuckler wouldn't qualify because there, having Coffers leads to a good thing.
- The effect can be binary or quantiative. E.g., "If you have any tokens, discard 3 cards" or "discard a card per token" are both fine.
- Having players start with a fixed number of tokens is one way to do it, but not required. Any way of obtaining the tokens is fine. There doesn't even need to be a way to get rid of them.
- Submissions can be single cards, WELP, multiple cards like travelers or cards with not-in-the-supply components, or even heirlooms for existing cards or Prizes. Go nuts.

If you want to use pain tokens, here is the symbol with URL https://i.ibb.co/k1Q390C/pain-small.png. You can insert them into the card generator by pasting the URL into the Custom Icon feature and writing § in the card text. If you use a different token, it doesn't have to have a symbol; you can just say "XYZ token".

If you edit a submission, edit the original post.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:43:17 pm by silverspawn »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #111: Chasing Enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:02:33 am »
+1

Jetty (Action, $4)

+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Return an Embargo token.
------
When you gain this, take 3 Embargo tokens. You can't buy cards while you have any Embargo tokens.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 11:12:23 am »
+1

Whut? This shouldn't be in the category Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics ?
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 11:16:06 am »
+4

I figured it was alright after no-one complained about Snow.  You also don't need a new mechanic; you can use Debt or Coffers.

If I've misjudged the situation and people have a big problem with this theme, I can change it.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1351
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:49:23 am »
+4

I figured it was alright after no-one complained about Snow.  You also don't need a new mechanic; you can use Debt or Coffers.

If I've misjudged the situation and people have a big problem with this theme, I can change it.

Rule #2 in the original challenge thread says:
2. When not restricted by the challenge, custom card types and mechanics are allowed, provided that they are explained in the same post as the entry.

So it would seem to me to fit the rules
They/them

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 11:51:44 am »
+1

I'm not one of the moderator of this topic so I can't ask you to change it; especialy since a participation was already post here. I advice you to check with the organisator if you have any doubt but the "snow" agument seem fine. Maybe the Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics didn't exist at these times and that could explain why it have been accepted.
If I was there when Snow I would have said the same thing.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 01:33:43 pm »

Since the Fan Card Mechanics contest thread has started, these ideas seem to fit better there, rather than here (which has been more about using official mechanics, though not exclusively, as seen by Snow).  But even before that thread started, there was often Fan Mechanics discussed (and sometimes contests about them, from what I've seen).

There's nothing wrong with doing it here.  It just has a bit of overlap, with 2 contests going on at the same time that both deal with Fan Mechanics.  No harm done.

It would be simple enough to frame this contest mainly using existing mechanics - state that it is a contest where you "use debt, or some other new token that you can have multiples, with a negative effect".  The creator here just wanted the emphasis on the ability to make/use a new mechanic, leaving debt as the alternative, secondary option, rather than the primary.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:35:40 pm by mathdude »
he/him

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 02:10:05 pm »
+1

But even before that thread started, there was often Fan Mechanics discussed (and sometimes contests about them, from what I've seen).

Indeed. And in fact, the Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics was inspired by a (fairly recent) Weekly Design Contest:

What would people think of a new weekly contest specifically dedicated to fan card mechanics? (credit to spineflue for starting this "atlas")

Inspired by weekly design content #90*, Steal Ideas!, but in this case every entry would have to use the fan card mechanic chosen by that week's judge.

One sort of unofficial point (at least as I conceive of it) of the Fan Card Mechanic contest is that it's a way to get others to help you develop a mechanic you really like. This was suggested by scolapasta in the original post:

* and the fact that I was mildly disappointed to see no one expand on my Worshippers mechanic...

IMO, if silverspawn had asked us to use their pain tokens in design our submission, that would have looked like the FCM contest. Instead, the pain tokens are just an illustration of one way to meet this week's rule.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 02:33:53 pm »
+1

WDC #111: Chasing Enlightenment
- Your submission can use this token or any other token. In principle, you can also use existing tokens like Debt or Coffers (but see rules below) . . .
- The card needs to care about the token, and having it must be negative. Swashbuckler wouldn't qualify because there, having Coffers leads to a good thing.

I do have a question about the Contest rules. To clarify, is the issue with Swashbuckler:
(a) that the tokens in question (Coffers) are good (i.e. you want to have them because they provide you a benefit);
(b) that the way in which Swashbuckler cares about the tokens is to reward having them; or
(c) both?

Put another way, would a card that cares about Coffers, but in a way that treats having them as negative, qualify? For example, would Pastry Chef (not my submission, apologies for the desert/dessert pun) be acceptable?

NOT MY SUBMISSION:
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 03:09:13 pm »

I do have a question about the Contest rules. To clarify, is the issue with Swashbuckler:
(a) that the tokens in question (Coffers) are good (i.e. you want to have them because they provide you a benefit);
(b) that the way in which Swashbuckler cares about the tokens is to reward having them; or
(c) both?

(b).

ut another way, would a card that cares about Coffers, but in a way that treats having them as negative, qualify?

Yup.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 03:25:28 pm »

But even before that thread started, there was often Fan Mechanics discussed (and sometimes contests about them, from what I've seen).

Indeed. And in fact, the Weekly Contest: Fan Card Mechanics was inspired by a (fairly recent) Weekly Design Contest:

What would people think of a new weekly contest specifically dedicated to fan card mechanics? (credit to spineflue for starting this "atlas")

Inspired by weekly design content #90*, Steal Ideas!, but in this case every entry would have to use the fan card mechanic chosen by that week's judge.

One sort of unofficial point (at least as I conceive of it) of the Fan Card Mechanic contest is that it's a way to get others to help you develop a mechanic you really like. This was suggested by scolapasta in the original post:

* and the fact that I was mildly disappointed to see no one expand on my Worshippers mechanic...

IMO, if silverspawn had asked us to use their pain tokens in design our submission, that would have looked like the FCM contest. Instead, the pain tokens are just an illustration of one way to meet this week's rule.

As the person who started the Fan Card Mechanics thread, I will shamelessly (or shamefully?) admit that one of my motivations was to skirt the system and get to choose a theme / judge a contest as I wasn't winning the official weekly contest any time soon.

I also agree with those that say that silverspawn's idea is not specific to a mechanic, but a more general concept that (often) will use fan mechanics. The Pastry Chef example clearly illustrates that. So it seems 100% valid here.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
Curses! Tokened again!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 11:29:16 pm »
+2

Incantation:

The negative token I have decided to go with is the Curse token, represented by a raven icon. Each Curse token is worth -1 VP. Like VP tokens, they are added to a pool owned by a player and are unlimited. Unlike VP tokens, you can lose as well as gain them, but you cannot go below zero.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 02:31:47 am »
+1

Introducing Blight!

Corruption - $3
Event

Once per turn: If you have Blight, put one Blight you have on a Victory supply pile. Otherwise, take 2 Blight from here.
-
Setup: Put 8 Blight here.

Blight tokens make the land go bad! (you might recognize the symbol from another game) Victory cards are worth 1 VP less per Blight token on their pile, to a minimum of 0. On the flip side, all Victory cards you have are worth 1 VP less per Blight you have, to a minimum of 0.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:35:15 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 04:22:56 am »
+2

Fickle Festival
Action - $5
+$2
+2 Villagers
This turn, at the start of Clean Up, if you have 4 or more Villagers, or spent a Villager this turn and have Actions remaining, the player to your left gains this
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 04:38:17 am by NoMoreFun »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 04:32:52 am »
+2

Fickle Festival
Action/Victory - $5
+$2
+2 Villagers
This turn, at the start of Clean Up, if you have 4 or more Villagers, or spent a Villager this turn and have Actions remaining, the player to your left gains this
How is this a Victory card?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 04:39:06 am »
+1

Fickle Festival
Action/Victory - $5
+$2
+2 Villagers
How is this a Victory card?

I typed it up at first as a card that gave you negative VP for Villagers, then decided against (as you can arbitrarily spend villagers)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 01:59:23 pm »

Question for silverspawn: does a card like this count for the contest? my expectation is that the answer is no, since this gives a bad effect when you gain it, that goes away after two turns, rather than having a bad effect for having a token when played

Not my submission for now

(raven symbol is a token that, at the end of your turn, you reduce by one (but not less then 0), and you choose between gaining a curse, two coppers, or revealing your hand to the player on the left, and they discard a card from it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:05:19 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 02:42:29 pm »
+1

Question for silverspawn: does a card like this count for the contest? my expectation is that the answer is no, since this gives a bad effect when you gain it, that goes away after two turns, rather than having a bad effect for having a token when played

Your reading of the rules is correct. However, there have been several submissions so far that don't meet the 'the card needs to care about the token' part of the rules. I couldn't bring myself to disqualify the first entry, and once I allowed that, I had to be consistent and allow it for everyone. So now, the rules are basically 'the card has to interact with a negative token', which your card does.

So yes, it's now allowed. And I won't subtract any points from cards like this since it's entirely on me that I didn't say anything after the first submission. Any negative token effect is good to go.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 02:57:26 pm »

My entry is an heirloom which is connected to a split pile (the rule I'll adopt if you have more than 7 Heirlooms is that you'll use all the Heirlooms, no Coppers, and 3 Estates or Shelters - thus you could start with more than 10 cards in that situation, yes it would make for weird openings, but having that many Heirlooms is going to make your opening weird anyways).  The heirloom is a kind of combination of Cursed Gold and Pouch.  When you discard it from play, you receive one curse token (represented by the skull icon) per card bought.  A curse token is simply -1VP at the end of the game.  So, it's similar to Cursed Gold in that it costs you Victory Points, although unlike Cursed Gold it doesn't junk your deck, since it's a token rather than a card.  On the other hand, you can easily gain multiple tokens, and cannot trash tokens (although you can lose them).  You can also avoid gaining the tokens if you buy an Event or Project, or use it to pay off debt.  You can also avoid the tokens if you can avoid discarding it from play, such as with Crypt or Herbalist.  This went through several different versions.  My first version used debt tokens, but that felt too boring.  Then I experimented with various other kinds of tokens, but I couldn't settle on one that was balanced and seemed like it would be fun to play.  In the end, I went with the old curse token idea.  Note that it *is* possible to get curse tokens for cards you bought before you even played this, if you bought cards during your Action phase with Black Market, or had two Buy phases with Villa or Cavalry.  So, you'll want to be quite careful playing this.  The idea behind the name is inspired by Ill-Gotten Gains and Cursed Gold, the idea being that you've acquired this money in some underhanded manner, and you'll end up paying for that

The first card in the split pile is Banker, an Action - Night - Duration card.  If played during your Action phase, it's similar in effect to Counterfeit, with the obvious exception of requiring an Action.  Early in the game, you'll probably use it like a Moneylender variant most of the time - trashing a Copper for a net +$3 +1 Buy.  However, if you play it during your Night phase (or during your Buy phase, e.g. with Scepter or Capitalism), then it functions like a Crypt variant, only setting aside one card, but playing that card immediately at the start of your turn.  This has an obvious synergy with Fraudulent Profits, since it allows you to avoid discarding it on the first play.  However, since you can't avoid playing it on the second turn, unless you have a second Banker, or something like a Crypt, you'll still end up getting the Curse token(s), you'll just have gotten to play it on two turns and only got tokens on the second.  It would make a strong combo with Capitalism, and it would also work great with Quarry if you have any Workshop variants.  Idol would work nicely too, since a lot of boons work better when received in your Action phase than your Buy phase.  It cannot trash Fraudulent Profits, or any other Heirloom.  Initially, I had it as just "a Treasure card other than Fraudulent Profits", for the same reason that Pooka has "other than Cursed Gold", namely, that I didn't want it to be able to trash its own Heirloom.  But then I thought "Why not make it any Heirloom?"  It saved space on the card, and also makes the Heirloom type useful.  The difference, of course, would only be practical in games with at least one other Heirloom.  This one went through a lot of changes.  At one point it was a Duration peddler variant with a below-the-line effect "At the start of clean-up, set aside a Treasure card you have in play (on this) and play it at the start of your next turn".  The below-the-line effect is almost the same as the current version's Night/Buy phase play, but the above-the-line part felt uninspiring.  That version was not part of a split pile.  At another point, I had it as an Action-Duration card with an above-the-line part that was the Action phase part of the current card, and a below-the-line effect that was the same as the Duration peddler version.  But then I realized that was way overpowered - letting you do both effects on the same turn is too strong.  And the easiest way to ensure that you could only do one or the other was to do the Werewolf thing and have it be playable in either the Night or the Action phase, doing different things in each phase

Coin Collector is the second card in the split pile (as an aside, I'm not sure if the Heirloom keyword should be on both cards of the split pile or only the first, there's no split piles that have any kind of set-up instructions on them, so there's no precedent.  Both cards are associated with the Heirloom, but on the other hand, you could argue you only need the set-up instruction on the card you actually see during set-up).  It is designed to synergize with Banker, letting you retrieve cards it trashed - making Banker far more powerful since you can use Banker on Golds or Platina without losing them.  The wording on this one changed quite a bit.  I wanted to make sure that you couldn't play a Treasure card three times in one turn with the Banker-Coin Collector combo, which would be easy to do with strong draw if it were simply gained to your discard pile when you play it.  Initially, I made it a Duration card with "set it aside (on this).  At the start of your next turn, play it", but then I thought that might make it too strong, especially if multiple Coin Collectors were played.  So, then I decided on this wording.  As per the FAQ for Faithful Hound, "end of turn" means after you draw your cards for your next turn, which means that the gained card can potentially miss the shuffle.  As a final benefit, Coin Collector allows you to get rid of curse tokens at the cost of minor self-junking in the form of Copper-gaining.  However, unless your opponent managed to get all the Bankers, you're assured of a way to trash those Coppers, making the junking only temporary.  I went back and forth on the cost, and I'm still not sure if this is a good cost.  On the one hand, the only other official card that can gain any Treasure from the trash (or, indeed, can gain any Treasure without self-trashing or as part of a Traveller line) is Treasurer, which, on the one hand, is stronger in gaining the Treasure directly to hand, plus giving you +$3.  On the other hand, Treasurer's gaining is weaker in that, in most games with it, you'll end up with Coppers being the only Treasures in the trash, whereas Coin Collector has Banker to ensure that good Treasures can end up in the trash.  There's also Soothsayer which costs $5 and can gain Golds, plus cursing other players (albeit with the slight amelioration of letting them draw an extra card), whereas this one can certainly gain Gold if a Gold has been trashed (or even a Platinum) but doesn't curse.  So, I think $4 is probably a fair price over all

EDIT: Withdrawing this submission

New entry:

Disappearing Village
Action
$3
+1 Card
+3 Actions
-1 Action per Snow (you can't go below 0 Actions)
Take 1 Snow, then you may discard any number of Action cards, revealed, to lose 1 Snow per card discarded
The Snow token (the name inspired by Snowy Village), represented with a snowflake icon, reduces the number of Actions given to you by Disappearing Village, almost like an anti-Villager, but only affecting this card (although if this were part of an expansion, there'd probably be at least a few other cards that used it).  The first time you play this, you get +3 Actions, but if you let your Snow tokens build up, it becomes increasingly less useful, netting negative Actions if you have 4 or more Snow tokens (but, as with Poor House and coins, the total Action count can never go negative).  You can get rid of your Snow tokens by discarding Action cards.  The name is a reference to how its village effect gradually disappears if you don't do anything about the tokens
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:13:25 am by mxdata »
They/them

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 05:16:42 pm »
+3

Accepting your initial challenge:

Chainsmith - $4
Action - Duration - Reaction

+3 Cards
+1

At the start of your next turn, you may discard any number of cards, to remove that many
-
At the start of your turn, if you have no , you may play this from your hand

Duration draw; weaker than Smithy if you choose to ignore the .
When played by reaction, is a nice non-terminal duration draw/sifter. Playing more than one a turn this way is tricky, but in fact possible, if you are able to interleave the reactions with resolving last turn's Chainsmiths (hence the name).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:18:25 pm by Mahowrath »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 05:26:23 pm »
+2

My entry is an heirloom which is connected to a split pile . . . The first card in the split pile is Banker . . . Coin Collector is the second card in the split pile . . .  I went back and forth on the cost . . . I think $4 is probably a fair price over all.

The official rules for split piles say that you "always put the cheaper card on top," during set up. You could, of course, vary from those rules, but you might want to think carefully about doing so. There is a reason they exist. By the time 5 $5 cards have been purchased (if that ever happens), players will rarely be at a point in the game where buying $4 Action cards makes sense. 
he/him/his

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +215
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 05:38:00 pm »

If it's within the rules for me to ask SilverSpawn directly, I actually had two different versions of my submission I was going back and forth on, and was wondering if I could ask which you prefered?

These two cards are not meant to coexist, just two different implementations of my Curse token idea that takes them in very different directions.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 05:41:21 pm »
+1

Coronation • $5 • Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
You may take +1 Heir; If you do, play an Action card from your hand twice, then trash this.

What are Heirs? Each Heir you have reduces the number of points of your highest scoring victory card by 1. So in Colony games, colonies are worth 9vp if you have one heir; If you run the Castles pile, the King's Castle will be worth 1 less. If it's a regular province game, and you get eight heirs, those provinces are worth 0vp.

I'm picturing a coin token mat for this.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:45:23 pm by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 06:07:52 pm »
+1

I actually had two different versions of my submission I was going back and forth on, and was wondering if I could ask which you prefered?

Generally, I think it's not a good idea if I answer questions like these since information about what I like provides a unique advantage in the contest. However, in this case, I'd say the second one is against the rules as the token is positive. I mean, it is still a Curse token, but it's not hard to always end the game with 0, so they're almost always going to be something you want to have. In the worst case, you'd have to get an Estate to your hand. So for this contest, if it's between the two, you have to choose the first one.

(Also

SilverSpawn

not a big deal but please don't. The name is lowercase on purpose and the double uppercase version is particularly yuck.)

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 06:50:47 pm »

My entry is an heirloom which is connected to a split pile . . . The first card in the split pile is Banker . . . Coin Collector is the second card in the split pile . . .  I went back and forth on the cost . . . I think $4 is probably a fair price over all.

The official rules for split piles say that you "always put the cheaper card on top," during set up. You could, of course, vary from those rules, but you might want to think carefully about doing so. There is a reason they exist. By the time 5 $5 cards have been purchased (if that ever happens), players will rarely be at a point in the game where buying $4 Action cards makes sense.

I didn't realize that was an official rule, but that is a good point.  Originally, the second one was more expensive, but then I weakened it, and lowered the price, and didn't think about the fact that that now made the top one more expensive.  I'll give this some more thought and revise my submission
They/them

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 08:30:39 pm »
+2

What are Heirs? Each Heir you have reduces the number of points of your highest scoring victory card by 1. So in Colony games, colonies are worth 9vp if you have one heir; If you run the Castles pile, the King's Castle will be worth 1 less. If it's a regular province game, and you get eight heirs, those provinces are worth 0vp.

This raises multiple questions, most of which I think I know the answer to, but at least one of which I don't.

(1) You said "Each Heir you have reduces the number of points of your highest scoring victory card by 1." Do you mean individual Victory card, or differently named card? That is, if your Victory cards are 4 Provinces and a Duchy and you have 2 Heirs, is that worth 25 (taking 2VP from one Province) or 19 (taking 2 VP from each of the Provinces).

I THINK THE ANSWER IS: You also say "If it's a regular province game, and you get eight heirs, those provinces are worth 0vp." So it does seem clear that each copy of the highest scoring differently named Victory card is weakened.

(2) You say "in Colony games, colonies are worth 9vp if you have one heir; If you run the Castles pile, the King's Castle will be worth 1 less." Do you mean " . . . King's Castle will be worth 1 less instead"? Also, am I correct in understanding that Colony is only worth 9VP if you have one? If your highest scoring Victory card is a Province (even in a Colony game), then that is what is reduced.

I THINK THE ANSWER IS: Yes. When you said Colonies were worth 9VP, it was inferred from the context that Colonies would be a player's highest scoring Victory cards.

(3) How does this work with scaling Alt-VP cards like Gardens, Fairgrounds, Vineyard, etc.?

I THINK THE ANSWER IS: When scoring at the end of the game, you see what each such card is worth. If any end up being the highest-scoring VP card(s), that/those are affected by the Heirs.

(4) What happens if two different VP cards tie for the highest? This might happen if you managed to rush the Harems, Nobles, and Islands piles, but it is much more likely to happen using Alt-VP. It is not at all unusual for Fairground to be worth 6 VP (if the player can get 15 differently-named cards, something very possible on many boards). If a player has 2 Provinces, 7 Fairgrounds each worth 6VP, and 2 Heirs, do the Heirs reduce the VP value of (a) the 2 Provinces, (b) the 7 Fairgrounds, (c) all 9 Victory cards (d) either the Provinces or the Fairgrounds depending on some additional criteria (although I am not sure what that would be)? 

This one I genuinely do not know the answer to. I suppose the most obvious answer is (c), but that makes what is already an almost unbearably harsh mechanic even worse. That being said, I don't really have a good way to pick between (a) and (b).

However you deal with ties, the existence of scaling Alt-VP also creates the possibility that increasing your underlying VP could actually result in losing VP. For example, if you have 5 Vineyards, 1 Province, 16 Action cards, you would have 31 VP. If you also had 4 Heirs, you would have 27 VP. If you then bought the Event Populate and gained 7 Action cards, without the Heirs, you would go from 31 VP to 41 VP. However, with the Heirs, you would go from 27 VP to just 21 VP. While this seems like an unlikely scenario, I actually don't think that it is, because I would guess that if you are going to take Heirs, the only viable strategy will generally be to buy 1 Province/Colony, and then try to win with Alt-VP. This puts the player in the position of having to very carefully track the value of their scaling card, as making it go too high could cost them the game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:32:12 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 09:40:21 pm »
+2

Okay, going with a completely different idea, one based on an idea that I had for a fan mechanics contest, that I didn't submit for that contest (editing my original post to include this new entry, but also putting it here separately)

Disappearing Village
Action
$3
+1 Card
+3 Actions
-1 Action per Snow (you can't go below 0 Actions)
Take 1 Snow, then you may discard any number of Action cards, revealed, to lose 1 Snow per card discarded
So, the Snow token, represented with a snowflake icon, reduces the number of Actions given to you by Disappearing Village, almost like an anti-Villager, but only affecting this card (although if this were part of an expansion, there'd probably be at least a few other cards that used it).  The first time you play this, you get +3 Actions, but if you let your Snow tokens build up, it becomes increasingly less useful, netting negative Actions if you have 4 or more Snow tokens (but, as with Poor House and coins, the total Action count can never go negative).  You can get rid of your Snow tokens by discarding Action cards.  The name is a reference to how its village effect gradually disappears if you don't do anything about the tokens
They/them

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2021, 10:56:25 pm »
+5

Here's my submission:

Quote from: Loki's Bargain
LOKI'S BARGAIN
ACTION
+1 Trick
Choose one: -2 Tricks; or +3 Cards, +1 Action, discard a card per Trick token you have.

This card uses Trick tokens, which don't do anything by themselves, but which weaken the card each time it is used. The first time you play it, it's a very powerful Lab + Fugitive, providing both sifting and increasing your handsize. Then it's a Forum (keeping your handsize the same). Then it's a Warehouse (decreasing your hand by one). Each version after that reduces your handsize by one more.

When the discarding gets too painful, or when you decide you can afford it (presumably because you already have the Treasure to hit the Buy you want), you can play the card as a terminal Action to move yourself back one version. But because getting the Trick is the first thing that happens, you will always have to discard at least one, and it never will turn into a double Lab.
he/him/his

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 03:18:01 am »

No longer my entry, not happy with this
My entry

A laboratory that becomes cumbersome the more you play of it: one is fine, but with two your gonna have to make compromises, as its a municipal laboratory: somethings got to go!

Decided to make its "raven" effect trigger when you have 2 ravens, as if it had been just 1, it would have been a HUGE advantage to a player that gets 2-5, since they get to trash early with a lab.
Later in the game, you should run out of trash and have to discard cards occassionally.

-
"Raven" is supposed to be a symbol, but the card image generator is having problems for me.

But heres an explenation of "ravens"
Ravens are worth -1VP. They decrease by 1 at the end of your turn. So if you end your turn with 1 Raven, the next turn you have 0, and if you end your turn with 2 Ravens, next turn you begin with 1
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:39:44 am by fika monster »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 06:56:32 am »

This raises multiple questions, most of which I think I know the answer to, but at least one of which I don't.

(1) You said "Each Heir you have reduces the number of points of your highest scoring victory card by 1." Do you mean individual Victory card, or differently named card? That is, if your Victory cards are 4 Provinces and a Duchy and you have 2 Heirs, is that worth 25 (taking 2VP from one Province) or 19 (taking 2 VP from each of the Provinces).

I THINK THE ANSWER IS: You also say "If it's a regular province game, and you get eight heirs, those provinces are worth 0vp." So it does seem clear that each copy of the highest scoring differently named Victory card is weakened.

(2) You say "in Colony games, colonies are worth 9vp if you have one heir; If you run the Castles pile, the King's Castle will be worth 1 less." Do you mean " . . . King's Castle will be worth 1 less instead"? Also, am I correct in understanding that Colony is only worth 9VP if you have one? If your highest scoring Victory card is a Province (even in a Colony game), then that is what is reduced.

I THINK THE ANSWER IS: Yes. When you said Colonies were worth 9VP, it was inferred from the context that Colonies would be a player's highest scoring Victory cards.

(3) How does this work with scaling Alt-VP cards like Gardens, Fairgrounds, Vineyard, etc.?

I THINK THE ANSWER IS: When scoring at the end of the game, you see what each such card is worth. If any end up being the highest-scoring VP card(s), that/those are affected by the Heirs.

(4) What happens if two different VP cards tie for the highest? This might happen if you managed to rush the Harems, Nobles, and Islands piles, but it is much more likely to happen using Alt-VP. It is not at all unusual for Fairground to be worth 6 VP (if the player can get 15 differently-named cards, something very possible on many boards). If a player has 2 Provinces, 7 Fairgrounds each worth 6VP, and 2 Heirs, do the Heirs reduce the VP value of (a) the 2 Provinces, (b) the 7 Fairgrounds, (c) all 9 Victory cards (d) either the Provinces or the Fairgrounds depending on some additional criteria (although I am not sure what that would be)? 

This one I genuinely do not know the answer to. I suppose the most obvious answer is (c), but that makes what is already an almost unbearably harsh mechanic even worse. That being said, I don't really have a good way to pick between (a) and (b).

However you deal with ties, the existence of scaling Alt-VP also creates the possibility that increasing your underlying VP could actually result in losing VP. For example, if you have 5 Vineyards, 1 Province, 16 Action cards, you would have 31 VP. If you also had 4 Heirs, you would have 27 VP. If you then bought the Event Populate and gained 7 Action cards, without the Heirs, you would go from 31 VP to 41 VP. However, with the Heirs, you would go from 27 VP to just 21 VP. While this seems like an unlikely scenario, I actually don't think that it is, because I would guess that if you are going to take Heirs, the only viable strategy will generally be to buy 1 Province/Colony, and then try to win with Alt-VP. This puts the player in the position of having to very carefully track the value of their scaling card, as making it go too high could cost them the game.

1, 2, 3: yes, correct
4: b, the seven fairgrounds. the card with the most copies is affected; if they're tied then the point is moot - you've got three gardens worth 6vp and three provinces? one or the other is reduced, but not both.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 07:04:51 am »
+8

I have a bit of a wacky idea, but I think it works.

EDIT: Updated submission

Thanks to faust and emtzalex for their input.

Quote from: original

I was debating whether it should only allow you to play cards costing up $4.  In Shelter games, you would be able to play a $5 cost card from the Supply with Necropolis in Turn 1 or 2, but it's not clear to me that taking 5 debt would always be optimal (maybe if something like Trading Post is in the Kingdom).  In terms of power level, you will only be able to play one Action card per turn as Way of the Octopus, unless there are cards in the Kingdom that allow you to return to your Action phase after your Buy phase [EDIT: or if you are able to get enough cost reduction cards into play e.g. Highways or Bridge Trolls, or Quarries with Black Market or Storyteller]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 07:21:41 am by Timinou »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 09:32:50 am »
+2

Indebted Blacksmith 
Action
+3 cards. If you have no , +3 actions and take .

The first one you play each turn has a powerful effect, but make sure you pay off that debt or you can't get it again the next turn. Update: changed from to
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 06:19:27 pm by JW »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2021, 01:22:05 pm »
+6

Alternate name: Sin City

Edit: I changed "end your turn" to "discard your hand". It's a small buff, but adds more strategy in how you play with it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:44:00 pm by pubby »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 03:14:48 pm »
+3

I was debating whether it should only allow you to play cards costing up $4.  In Shelter games, you would be able to play a $5 cost card from the Supply with Necropolis in Turn 1 or 2, but it's not clear to me that taking 5 debt would always be optimal (maybe if something like Trading Post is in the Kingdom).  In terms of power level, you will only be able to play one Action card per turn as Way of the Octopus, unless there are cards in the Kingdom that allow you to return to your Action phase after your Buy phase [EDIT: or if you are able to get enough cost reduction cards into play e.g. Highways or Bridge Trolls, or Quarries with Black Market or Storyteller].
This is going to lead to trivial infinite combos with +card/+action/+$/+buy tokens and Ruins or cost reduction.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2021, 03:40:15 pm »

This is going to lead to trivial infinite combos with +card/+action/+$/+buy tokens and Ruins or cost reduction.
wait, how? could you give examples? I thought that since you cant use Way of octopus that that's impossible

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2021, 03:52:23 pm »
+1

wait, how? could you give examples? I thought that since you cant use Way of octopus that that's impossible
+$ token on Ruins.

Play any Action as Way of the Octopus, choose Ruins, play Ruins as Way of the Octopus, choose Ruins, etc.

In fact this combo also works with cards that do not cost $0, since you only take the Debt once playing the card is finished. It's probably not useful this way though.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 04:11:37 pm »

Freak - Action Command, $6 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing less than this, leaving it there. If its pile isn't marked, mark it until the end of your turn; when you play a card from a marked pile, get +1 Action instead of following its instructions.
Command a $5 on a cantrip! But you can't play anything else from that pile during your turn, even cards from it in your deck, and they instead become Ruined Villages.
The negative token is the mark, a counter that's literally just for tracking. There could in theory be marks for a positive purpose on a different card, and in theory you could play this without mark tokens, so if this doesn't qualify...very well.

Edit: made a Command as per below post.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:43:56 am by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 04:21:32 pm »
+1

I'll allow it. However, I think this does allow an infinite loop. I play two highways, then I play Freak. I choose BoM. I choose Freak. I choose BoM. This is possible because the first BoM hasn't finished resolving yet, so there is no counter on it. You may need the Command type and non-Command clause after all. (Edit: substitute 'Captain' for 'BoM'.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:21:10 pm by silverspawn »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 06:11:00 pm »
+1

+$ token on Ruins.

Play any Action as Way of the Octopus, choose Ruins, play Ruins as Way of the Octopus, choose Ruins, etc.

In fact this combo also works with cards that do not cost $0, since you only take the Debt once playing the card is finished. It's probably not useful this way though.

To clarify some more obscure points of the rules that apply here:

(a) When there is a Way in the game, and you emulate an Action card using another Action card (i.e. a Command card or Estates after using Inheritance), the emulated card can be played for its normal ability, or using the Way.

(b) The player-specific tokens from Adventures (such as the +1 Card token and the +$1 token) still apply when playing a card using a Way. So if Way of the Otter and Lost Arts are both in play, you can put the +1 Action token on an Action supply pile, and play those cards using Way of the Otter to get +2 Cards (from Way of the Otter) and +1 Action (from the token).

As faust pointed out, if you put your +$1 token on the Ruins pile, then you could play any Action card and use Way of the Octopus. You would play the Ruins (a non-command Action card). First, you would get +$1 from your token. Then, you would have the option to either play the Ruin for its effect or use the Way. You would choose Way of the Octopus again, and choose Ruins again. You could do this as many times as you wanted, and each time you did this you would get +$1, meaning it would give you access to an unlimited amount of money. And because Ruins costs $0, you would never take any Debt.

This would work any time you could get an Action card's cost down to $0 and have any Action card and an Action left over. This would work with Highways (you could even use the last Highway to play Way of the Octopus, because it's in-play effect works even when it is used as a Way), Bridge Trolls (although they require at least one village/Villager), etc.

This would technically work with any of the Adventures tokens, although none of those effects would be as potent. With the +1 Card token, it would allow you to draw your entire deck, which is very good, but doable with existing cards (although perhaps not quite as reliably). Getting an endless number of Buys or Actions is also of limited value (unless you have a Diadem).

As faust also pointed out, this would technically work with any non-$0 costing card, since Way of the Octopus does not assign the Debt until after the Action has resolved, so you could keep replaying it as many times as you wanted before the Octopus-blocking debt arrived. However, as faust also alluded to, this strategy would be of little use. Even if you had the +$1 token, before you could do anything with all of that money (except, perhaps, play Black Market once and buy a card from it), each play of Octopus would finish resolving, and you would get at least as much debt as you had earned $. With the +1 Card token there might be some circumstances in which you could draw your deck, and end the game using gainers/remodelers (or doing some even stranger thing like piling out Rats to end the game) without buying anything.
he/him/his

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +582
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 07:17:06 pm »
+3

Seedy Village - $3
Action - Looter
+1 Card
+3 Villagers
----
When you discard this from play, if you have any Villagers or actions (not Action cards) remaining, gain a Ruins.

A reusable Acting Troupe Village+, with the catch that you start getting Ruins if you can't use all your actions in a turn. Thankfully you can play those Ruins in the future thanks to all those Villagers this card gives you.

Not really sure if the wording of the below line text actually does what I want it to do. The first half should stop players from using their Villager tokens if they have any actions remaining. The second half intends to keep Seedy Village in play when you would discard it during cleanup and gains you a Ruins as a penalty. I would appreciate any criticism or corrections to this.

Edit: Changed the card to be less penalizing as it does not stick around in play all the time. Simplified it to allow players to use Villagers as normal, but the penalty hits if you have either Villagers or actions left. Better than a Village for the same cost if you can put all your actions to use in the same turn you play it.
Thanks to mxdata and faust for the feedback.

Old Version
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:35:06 pm by Xen3k »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 07:33:37 pm »
+2

Seedy Village - $3
Action - Looter
+4 Villagers
----
While this is in play, you may not use Villagers if you have any actions remaining.
When you would discard this from play, if you have any Villagers, gain a Ruins and leave this in play.

A reusable Acting Troupe, with the catch that you start getting Ruins if you can't use all your actions in a turn. Thankfully you can play those Ruins in the future thanks to all those Villagers this card gives you.

Not really sure if the wording of the below line text actually does what I want it to do. The first half should stop players from using their Villager tokens if they have any actions remaining. The second half intends to keep Seedy Village in play when you would discard it during cleanup and gains you a Ruins as a penalty. I would appreciate any criticism or corrections to this.

Hmm ... this would tend to junk up your deck pretty quickly in most games (though the Ruins themselves would be a bit self-limiting, since they'd eat up your Villagers).  However, with some Ways it would be useful.  Way of the Horse would make this extremely strong, and I'd probably want to gain and play a bunch of them.  As long as I make sure to not play all my Villagers, I would be getting a free Horse at the end of each turn for each Seedy Village in play!  It would also be potentially useful in a kingdom that's otherwise full of terminals.  It would be like a +4 Actions card.  But even then,  you'd end up junking your deck since you're not going to be able to use all the Villagers on every turn.  So, it seems to me that games where it's useful would be rare

Maybe make the cost a bit weaker.  How about something like "When you would discard this from play, if you have any Villagers, leave this in play and draw one fewer cards for your next hand"?  That way it still hurts to have unused Villagers, but you don't end up accumulating junk
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:49:11 pm by mxdata »
They/them

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2021, 12:25:52 am »
+3

I'll allow it. However, I think this does allow an infinite loop. I play two highways, then I play Freak. I choose BoM. I choose Freak. I choose BoM. This is possible because the first BoM hasn't finished resolving yet, so there is no counter on it. You may need the Command type and non-Command clause after all.

If you have two Highways, then Freak costs and BoM costs . Freak can play BoM, which cannot play Freak, same as without cost reduction. There is no infinite loop with Freak + BoM. They both only play cheaper cards, and it is mathematically impossibly for two cards to each cost less than the other. There is, however, a loop with Freak + Captain + cost reduction.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2021, 01:32:29 am »
+4

Jetty (Action, $4)

+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Return an Embargo token.
------
When you gain this, take 3 Embargo tokens. You can't buy cards while you have any Embargo tokens.

This can kill one player easily.

play Swindler to make your opponent gain Jetty
play another to make your opponent trash that

Maybe gaining a Curse per an Embargo token is better.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2021, 03:06:56 am »
+2

I don't think the wording works as intended. The "leave this in play" instruction does not come with a time limit, so I would think it stays in play indefinitely. I don't think there is a strong reason for this to stay in play anyways, it could just give the Ruins and be discarded.

On a more general note, I don't think the card needs to be this complicated. The whole restricting when you can use Villagers thing is clunky and not really needed if you give extra penalties for having more Villagers, like so:
+4 Villagers
When you discard this from play: If you have at least one Villager, gain a Ruins; if you have at least 2 Villagers, gain a Copper.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2021, 06:14:14 am »

Jetty (Action, $4)

+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Return an Embargo token.
------

That’s a good catch. Will have a think on how to fix this - might come up with another card altogether.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2021, 06:17:34 am »
+1

Jetty (Action, $4)

+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Return an Embargo token.
------

That’s a good catch. Will have a think on how to fix this - might come up with another card altogether.
"When you gain this on your turn" would be a reasonable fix I think. There are still ways the opponent could mess with you (e.g. playing a Reaction as Way of the Mouse-Ambassador), but they are signficantly less attainable.

There is still the issue that with any sort of trashing attack, going for Jetty is extremely risky, and that could make the card super swingy and unfun. Another solution that addresses that would be "When you trash this, return all your Embargo tokens" - though I guess that still does not account for Cardinal.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:21:08 am by faust »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2021, 08:40:48 am »
+1

I was debating whether it should only allow you to play cards costing up $4.  In Shelter games, you would be able to play a $5 cost card from the Supply with Necropolis in Turn 1 or 2, but it's not clear to me that taking 5 debt would always be optimal (maybe if something like Trading Post is in the Kingdom).  In terms of power level, you will only be able to play one Action card per turn as Way of the Octopus, unless there are cards in the Kingdom that allow you to return to your Action phase after your Buy phase [EDIT: or if you are able to get enough cost reduction cards into play e.g. Highways or Bridge Trolls, or Quarries with Black Market or Storyteller].

Thanks for pointing that out!  I definitely don't want this to lead to infinite loops, whether trivial or non-trivial.

I think the following tweaks should prevent loops, but I'd be grateful if anyone can think of any loopholes:

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2021, 10:28:56 am »
+1

Thanks for pointing that out!  I definitely don't want this to lead to infinite loops, whether trivial or non-trivial.

I think the following tweaks should prevent loops, but I'd be grateful if anyone can think of any loopholes:

Seems to me that if you play this while having Debt, you can still do the $0-cost loop, as the second part is not dependent on having taken Debt.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2021, 10:31:39 am »

Seems to me that if you play this while having Debt, you can still do the $0-cost loop, as the second part is not dependent on having taken Debt.

You're right....I think the second sentence needs to say "If you did..." or something like that. 

EDIT: Or I think the following wording should work: "If you have no debt, gain between 1 and 5 debt to play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $ per debt you gained, leaving it there."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 10:34:17 am by Timinou »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2021, 01:04:51 pm »
+2

I don't think the wording works as intended. The "leave this in play" instruction does not come with a time limit, so I would think it stays in play indefinitely. I don't think there is a strong reason for this to stay in play anyways, it could just give the Ruins and be discarded.

On a more general note, I don't think the card needs to be this complicated. The whole restricting when you can use Villagers thing is clunky and not really needed if you give extra penalties for having more Villagers, like so:
+4 Villagers
When you discard this from play: If you have at least one Villager, gain a Ruins; if you have at least 2 Villagers, gain a Copper.
The main issue I see with getting rid of that restriction is that it makes this effectively a super-Necropolis.  Without that restriction, you can simply choose to spend all your villagers to avoid the penalty, making it no different than a straight-up +4 Actions (well ... unless there's other cards that give you villagers, since in that case you'd also have to get rid of any villagers you'd gotten from those other cards, though if you're getting sufficient villagers from other cards you probably wouldn't bother buying this one anyways).  So, I think keeping the restriction would be good.  But your proposed penalty seems a lot better to me.  Hits you once at the end of the turn, rather than over multiple turns, seems more balanced to me
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2021, 01:08:40 pm »
+1

+4 Villagers

Also, as for the wording, if you do want to keep the intended indefinite-staying-out, maybe something like "leave this in play until your next turn"?  That would make it clear that it's not permanent.  It would have the same effect since it would check at the end of the next turn again to see if there are still villagers, so the staying-out could be renewed indefinitely, until you get to a turn where you have no villagers left, at which time it would get discarded
They/them

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2021, 01:16:07 pm »

Jetty (Action, $4)

+2 Cards
+2 Actions

Return an Embargo token.
------

"When you gain this on your turn" would be a reasonable fix I think. There are still ways the opponent could mess with you (e.g. playing a Reaction as Way of the Mouse-Ambassador), but they are signficantly less attainable.

There is still the issue that with any sort of trashing attack, going for Jetty is extremely risky, and that could make the card super swingy and unfun. Another solution that addresses that would be "When you trash this, return all your Embargo tokens" - though I guess that still does not account for Cardinal.

Couldn't you add "when you trash or Exile this..."

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2021, 06:15:50 am »

Couldn't you add "when you trash or Exile this..."
If we're being pedantic, there's still the possibility of native village + swindler (when all your jetties are on your NV mat), or masquerade when the alternatives are key victory cards.

Maybe it's a different card, but you could have an embargo token that stays around for a turn like Deluded, and can be returned by playing your 3rd jetty in a turn. Or a token that stays around for a couple of turns, and this is sped up by playing jetty. These might be safer, if less edgy.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2021, 10:45:16 am »
+1

My Submission:

Sentinel
– Night - Duration

Look at the top 3 cards of your
deck. Discard any number,
taking for each. Put the rest
back on top in any order.

At the start of your next turn,
   +1 Card per taken with this.   

Notes
When a Sentinel doesn't discard any cards, no is taken and that Sentinel is discarded in the same Clean-up phase.

Tracking of how many have been taken due to discarding cards by a Sentinel can be simply done by adding them to the Sentinel card until next turn. This way, they can be easily distinguished from taken by other means.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2021, 11:04:16 am »

My Submission:

Sentinel
– Night - Duration

Notes
When a Sentinel doesn't discard any cards, no is taken and that Sentinel is discarded in the same Clean-up phase.

Tracking of how many have been taken due to discarding cards by a Sentinel can be simply done by adding them to the Sentinel card until next turn. This way, they can be easily distinguished from taken by other means.
You may want to find a wording that lets this still be useful when you have less than 3 cards in your deck.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2021, 01:01:37 pm »
+1

My Submission:

Sentinel
– Night - Duration

Notes

You may want to find a wording that lets this still be useful when you have less than 3 cards in your deck.

Do you mean less than 3 cards between your deck and discard pile, or literally "less than 3 cards in your deck"? Because you do get to shuffle if there are fewer than 3 cards in your deck but more cards in your discard pile. See Sentry and Cartographer.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2021, 02:21:30 pm »

Do you mean less than 3 cards between your deck and discard pile, or literally "less than 3 cards in your deck"? Because you do get to shuffle if there are fewer than 3 cards in your deck but more cards in your discard pile. See Sentry and Cartographer.
Yes, I meant the former.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2021, 02:57:34 pm »

Unless I miss something important, I think the card is fine as is. There are a lot of deck inspection cards around and to my knowledge none of them has a backup function for the case that the deck is (nearly) empty. If that indeed happens, then either a) Sentinel helped in doing a good job in building a functional engine, and is just useless at that point (but likely helpful later when greening starts), or b) it wasn't a good idea to gain a Sentinel. If Sentinel's ability turns out to be too weak, I would rather consider changing the cost or the range of cards it can inspect.

Can you tell me what I might miss?

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2021, 03:56:33 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Sentinel
– Night - Duration

Notes

I don't think it is necessary, unless I'm missing something.  Even if you are drawing your whole deck, Sentinel could be useful if you want to ensure that the cards you buy end up in your starting hand for the next turn.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2021, 02:32:50 am »
+3

Unless I miss something important, I think the card is fine as is. There are a lot of deck inspection cards around and to my knowledge none of them has a backup function for the case that the deck is (nearly) empty. If that indeed happens, then either a) Sentinel helped in doing a good job in building a functional engine, and is just useless at that point (but likely helpful later when greening starts), or b) it wasn't a good idea to gain a Sentinel. If Sentinel's ability turns out to be too weak, I would rather consider changing the cost or the range of cards it can inspect.

I guess I consider Sentinel to be a draw card more than a deck inspector. If you need deck inspection then you're likely not drawing your deck, so yes, this is less of an issue. But if you just want to use Sentinel to start each turn with +3 cards, then I imagine it would be frustrating for it to stop working because you didn't gain enough cards. I don't feel like that drawback is necessary or makes the card more interesting. I imagined a phrasing like this:

Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Take up to 3 Debt and discard that many of the cards. Put the rest back on top in any order.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2021, 11:21:20 am »

I guess I consider Sentinel to be a draw card more than a deck inspector. If you need deck inspection then you're likely not drawing your deck, so yes, this is less of an issue. But if you just want to use Sentinel to start each turn with +3 cards, then I imagine it would be frustrating for it to stop working because you didn't gain enough cards. I don't feel like that drawback is necessary or makes the card more interesting. I imagined a phrasing like this:

Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Take up to 3 Debt and discard that many of the cards. Put the rest back on top in any order.

I like the wording, though the consequences might be a bit confusing for casual players. I think Sentinel, as is, is strong enough for a $3 cost card. If a player can draw their deck, they shouldn't have a buffed Sentinel on top of it. In addition, Timinou found a neat function of Sentinel when the deck is almost empty that I haven't thought about before. Anyway, many thanks for your input.

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2021, 04:16:29 pm »
+1

New entry

Taking the "trick token" from the lokis trick entry: i kinda like the idea of a counter, idk

A powerful Non-terminal workshop, but it gives your opponents a free 4$ card to hand on the third play. Should count for this weeks theme. If it doesn't, ill count on silverspawn saying "nah it doesn't count"

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2021, 07:34:28 pm »
+1

New entry

Taking the "trick token" from the lokis trick entry: i kinda like the idea of a counter, idk

A powerful Non-terminal workshop, but it gives your opponents a free 4$ card to hand on the third play. Should count for this weeks theme. If it doesn't, ill count on silverspawn saying "nah it doesn't count"

So, on the third play you can gain a card costing up to $9, but your opponents get a $4 card?  That's quite a bargain!
They/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2021, 07:12:06 am »
+2

24 Hour Warning

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2021, 12:44:55 pm »
+6

Submission

Wanderer | Action | $3
+2 Cards

If you have no §, +1 Action.
Lose a §.
-
When you gain this, take 2§.

A reverse Lackeys. The can be cheap labs, but each one you get turns two lab plays into moats temporarily. Unlike Lackeys, buying these early can be problematic -- how willingly are you to draw your other opening card dead? Might want some villages/villagers first. Sometimes your opponent may "gift" you a Wanderer via ambassador or messenger so that yours are terminal at the start of your turn. Yikes! Maybe you stock up early, try to win the split, and get lots of § in the hopes of losing them soon enough to make the cheap labs worth it. Your choice. After all, not all who wander are lost.

This reuses Pain tokens §, but this is not designed to be balanced with other cards that gain/lose pain tokens.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:11:01 pm by anordinaryman »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2021, 01:22:48 pm »
+3

Submission

Wanderer | Action | $3
+2 Cards

If you have no §, +1 Action.
Lose a §.
-
When you gain this, take 2§.

A reverse Lackeys. The can be cheap labs, but each one you get turns two lab plays into moats temporarily. Unlike Lackeys, buying these early can be problematic -- how willingly are you to draw your other opening card dead? Might want some villages/villagers first. Sometimes your opponent may "gift" you a Wandering via ambassador or messenger so that yours are terminal at the start of your turn. Yikes! Maybe you stock up early, try to win the split, and get lots of § in the hopes of losing them soon enough to make the cheap labs worth it. Your choice. After all, not all who wander are lost.

This reuses Pain tokens §, but this is not designed to balanced or go with other cards that gain/lose pain tokens.

Cool design.  I don’t think winning the split will be super important unless this is the only draw on the board or you think the game will run long.  It may be better to have 4 Wanderers that are activated sooner than 6 that take longer to activate.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2021, 09:55:01 pm »
+2

Chancellor
cost $3 - Action
+$2
+1 Buy
If you have no debt, +$1.
You may put your deck into your discard pile.
---
When you gain this, take <2> debts.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2021, 01:09:23 am »
+1

Updating cost:

Quote from: Businessman
$3$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Take 1 Debt
For each Debt you have, discard a card.

I think there's some more design potential in this area.  I thought about going larger (4 cards, take 2 debt), or switching to Lost City variants (3 cards, 2 actions, 1 or 2 debt), but I figured I'd stick to a fairly simple one for the contest.  It's hard to judge how much it should be worth.  It looks like a Lab, ending you with 2 cards and 1 action (after 1 discard)... and/or strictly better than a Warehouse.  But this card doesn't stack well (play 2 in one turn, your second one now discards 2 instead of 1 leaving you with a cantrip).  And on top of the stacking problem, you also have a debt to pay off before you can buy a card.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:38:22 am by mathdude »
he/him

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2021, 01:28:52 am »
+1

Wanderer seems very strong as an opening buy and it seems decent if you can gain it mid-turn and wipe the tokens before next turn. Outside of that, I don't see myself playing with more than 1 or 2 copies.

This isn't a critique or anything; it's just an observation.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2021, 03:24:42 am »
+3

Quote from: Businessman
$3 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Take 1 Debt
For each Debt you have, discard a card.

I think there's some more design potential in this area.  I thought about going larger (4 cards, take 2 debt), or switching to Lost City variants (3 cards, 2 actions, 1 or 2 debt), but I figured I'd stick to a fairly simple one for the contest.  It's hard to judge how much it should be worth.  It looks like a Lab, ending you with 2 cards and 1 action (after 1 discard)... and/or strictly better than a Warehouse.  But this card doesn't stack well (play 2 in one turn, your second one now discards 2 instead of 1 leaving you with a cantrip).  And on top of the stacking problem, you also have a debt to pay off before you can buy a card.
Looks better than Forum. The Debt is better for you then discarding another card.
Sure, with more copies it becomes more tricky to evaluate but a card that is better than a $5 while only costing $3 if you only run one copy of it is most likely totally out of balance.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:16 am »

If you or anyone else does want to make a change, I won't actually get to the judging part until much later today, so there's still a bit of time

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2021, 08:36:07 am »

Looks better than Forum. The Debt is better for you then discarding another card.
Sure, with more copies it becomes more tricky to evaluate but a card that is better than a $5 while only costing $3 if you only run one copy of it is most likely totally out of balance.

There are times that Businessman could be better, times when it's the same, and times when it is worse.  Forum is fairly weak in its end result - it's a sifter that ends up resulting as a cantrip.  In an optimized deck ("junk" all trashed), Forum is a waste of a $5 purchase.  It will always leave you with the same number of cards (default case, I'll say leave you with 5 cards in hand).  In its best case, with multiple Forums, you end up getting the 5 best cards from your deck into your hand.

For Businessman, it's first play will leave you with 6 cards (default case), but also 1 debt.  As an opening purchase, that means you could end up with $6 (if you open Businessman/Silver) if you draw cards right.  This is relatively strong, I agree.  However, if you try to play a second (either double Businessman opening, or later in the game), then you end up still with 6 cards and 2 debt after some sifting.  A third played in one turn just doesn't make sense - ending up with 5 cards and 3 debt.  So it's very limiting by mid-game.

I've updated the cost to $4, to show that it's mostly better than Warehouse and overall worse than Forum (even though a single play may be better some of the time).  And I think that's okay, since dealing with negative tokens will sometimes have varying power levels, I suspect.
he/him

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2021, 10:52:33 am »
+3

Submissions closed.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2021, 04:22:29 pm »
+3

Forum is fairly weak in its end result - it's a sifter that ends up resulting as a cantrip.  In an optimized deck ("junk" all trashed), Forum is a waste of a $5 purchase.  It will always leave you with the same number of cards (default case, I'll say leave you with 5 cards in hand).  In its best case, with multiple Forums, you end up getting the 5 best cards from your deck into your hand.
That is flat out wrong. Sifters have their use even in a thin decks. Before or while you thin you wanna cycle as hard as you can, sooner or later you will green and you gotta sift through your green and you always wanna match your engine pieces. For example with Dungeon a decent rule of thumb is to always get one and to get two (or sometimes more) if there is no trashing or junking.
Forum is always useful and far from being a weak $5. I don't think that I ever had a Kingdom with Forum in which I did not get at least one Forum.

overall worse than Forum (even though a single play may be better some of the time).  And I think that's okay, since dealing with negative tokens will sometimes have varying power levels, I suspect.
That is again flat out wrong. A single copy of Businessman is better than Forum for the very same reason that Laboratory is better than Poacher: discarding one card hurts more than 1 Debt.

The design is simply broken. If you price it at $6 people will just get one copy, if you price it at $5 or lower the first copy is too strong.

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56:29 pm »
+4

I don't think it's broken. Lots of $4 cards are better than it - I'd rather open a Moneylender or Spice Merchant or Shepherd, which tends to be better than a $4 Lab too. Obviously the first copy you buy is strong - perhaps too strong - but you're extrapolating that to mean the whole stack of Businessmen will break the game when in reality it's just a single above-average card in your deck. It's not going to do *that* much.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2021, 04:02:46 am »
+1

I don't think it's broken. Lots of $4 cards are better than it - I'd rather open a Moneylender or Spice Merchant or Shepherd, which tends to be better than a $4 Lab too. Obviously the first copy you buy is strong - perhaps too strong - but you're extrapolating that to mean the whole stack of Businessmen will break the game when in reality it's just a single above-average card in your deck. It's not going to do *that* much.
None of the cards you mentioned is easily comparable to another cards and two of them are trashers so of course you want to open with them. Opening double Raze can be a thing on a board, doesn't mean that Raze is super strong.

Businessman on the other hand is very similar to Forum, you can directly compare the fan card to an official card and the first copy it is virtually strictly better while being far cheaper.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2021, 04:25:24 am »
+2

I agree with most of what segura said about Businessman, except:
Quote from: segura
...  discarding one card hurts more than 1 Debt.

I think in more cases than not, discarding a card is less harsh than taking 1 Debt, e.g. discarding a Victory card or a Curse, picking up the discarded card again, preparing for a draw to X, etc.

Also, I would try to say it more politely.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2021, 05:06:40 am »

I agree with most of what segura said about Businessman, except:
Quote from: segura
...  discarding one card hurts more than 1 Debt.
I think in more cases than not, discarding a card is less harsh than taking 1 Debt, e.g. discarding a Victory card or a Curse, picking up the discarded card again, preparing for a draw to X, etc.
This is a good point and I agree that the delta between Lab and Peddler is larger than that between a cantrip discarding a card and taking 1D. But there is still a positive difference that becomes easily visible if we look at an example.

Suppose we make Business more extreme, i.e. +3 Cards +1 Action Take 2D.
Ignoring general issues with Double Labs, the question is whether you want a Lab with another Lab that forces you to take 2D or whether the average card in your deck is better than Silver. I think it is pretty clear that this is a powerhouse.
Sure, Storyteller can draw more but you gotta match Storyteller with those Treasures (and Peddlers played in between that generated Coins that you don't want to convert into draw is a frequent Storyteller issue) whereas this card doesn't care where and how the Coins are generated and is thus more robust and flexbile.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2021, 02:30:09 pm »
+12

Judgment Day

This time we have 18 submissions, so I went with a top 4. I went to labeling them 'Finalist's rather than 'Runner-up's since the winner is also among them.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀Jetty -- mandioca15

A lost City with a harsh penalty. Under normal circumstances, the upside is not big enough to justify buying this. I see two possible approaches to make it viable.

One: you play a deck that doesn't care about buying things. Occasionally, this is the optimal strategy anyway. In that case, Jetty becomes straight-forwardly powerful.
Two: attempt to minimize the downside. If you already own two Jetty's, you can dodge the penalty if you draw your entire deck. (Buy third Jetty -> take 3 tokens -> play your 3 Jetties -> get rid of all tokens -> profit). Having a Throne Room also helps.

My biggest criticism is that the second option seems too hard to pull off. If you can draw your deck every turn, skipping a single buy phase is likely to be too much of a penalty to justify buying the first Jetty, so even a normal Throne Room wouldn't suffice. If you can't draw your entire deck every turn, well then you can't guarantee playing Jetty, and the penalty increases. Either way, it seems extremely difficult to make it work, leaving us with another card that says 'play a deck that doesn't buy things', similar to Mission. Which is fine, but not breath-taking.

Also worth pointing out that this has more potential to hurt your opponent than any other card if you have ways of making them gain it. Pairing this with Ambassador could lead to very ugly situations.

Incantation -- The Alchemist

Apologies for the harsh verdict, but I am almost certain that this card is busted. In particular, I'm pretty sure that the correct strategy will usually be to pile up expensive cards over and over again.

I think this is a case where intuitions about different rates of growth are important. The damage done from taking Ravens is  linear. The benefit from taking good cards is exponential. (This is so because good cards produce resources, which helps you get more good cards that also produce resources and so on. Whenever you have a dynamic where the thing you get produces a fixed percentage of its own value every time step, that's exponential. Putting money onto a bank account works exactly like that. In Dominion, this applies in its purest form if you draw your deck every turn, but it's true to some extent even if you don't.) This means you want to make the 'take Ravens for cool cards' deal as often as possible, until you run against the time limit of 3-piling. Furthermore, the deal is better the earlier in the game you are, so you'll want to get this as early as possible and then use it to get the remaining Incantations so that you can take the deal as many times as possible as early as possible.

Less abstractly, suppose you have managed to draw your deck with two Incantations in your hand. Using the top-decking, you can now gain as many more Incantations as you want. However, no matter how many you get, it takes at most five turns to get rid of all of the Ravens. This is almost certainly what you'll want to do. Empty the pile on the spot.

Trading off VP against resources is tricky, and you'll notice that there's no official card that does it like this.

Corruption -- faust

I think this is the most complex submission in terms of how it plays.

Let's first ignore the fact that Blight can hurt you. If you're intending to buy Provinces yourself but lose the split 5-3, you'll have to spend 3$ three times to net 4VP, which is not very good. So, the primary use case is to nuke a Victory card that you don't intend to get yourself.

Here's the abstract case, then. Suppose your opponent buys Provinces and you blight them. If you get no Provinces yourself, Blight is equivalent to a Victory card that gives 1 VP for each Provinces your opponent has. This means that they get better the more Provinces your opponent has. Starting out, your opponent has no Provinces and Blight is not worth it. Thus, the Equilibrium is reached when your opponent has enough Provinces to make Blight an ok investment. At that point, your opponent should stop buying Provinces, and you may or may not continue buying Blights.

Of course, this assumes that you can just transition from Provinces to something else, which is often not the case. So, suppose instead you have Monument + vanilla victory piles. If blight means that buying more than two Provinces isn't worth it (and Duchies and Estates are hit much worse still), then both players are committed to playing Monuments anyway, which means you don't want green cards at all.

The restriction of Blight to one buy per turn changes things yet again; if you can build a progressively more powerful deck, you may be able to empty the Province pile quickly. However, I'm worried about how optimal play looks like on boards without +buy. Also, if the effect is to make you green as late as possible, this is not that different from what many dominion boards look like already.

In conclusion, it's a very clever design, but I'm not convinced it would be fun to play with. But I could certainly be wrong.

Fickle Festival -- NoMoreFun

With this one, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to avoid ever triggering the penalty since losing your 5$ is quite bad. This mostly means that you'll want to avoid playing too many of them.

This begs the question how the penalty restricts your play. The first part (the 4+ Villager clause) means you don't want to buy too many Fickle Festivals. The second part means you don't want to end your turn having played another Village. Broadly, both punish you for playing too many villages without Terminals. However, you're already incentivized to mix Villages with terminals, and drawing too many Villages in one hand is already bad luck. For this reason, I'm not sure what this adds in terms of strategy.

Another concern is that the powerlevel is quite low. The card doesn't seem to be strong even without the penalty.

Disappearing Village -- mxdata

A snowy village variant! If you don't use the discarding effect, this card quickly becomes useless. This means you have to get rid of all snow you obtain eventually; if you don't, you shouldn't have bought the card in the first place. The only question left is when you discard.

Thus, I think the right way to think about this card is as a variant of "+1 Card, +3 Actions, discard an Action card" with upside -- the upside being that you can choose to discard later for the price of some Actions.

I think this is a really cool idea. It's quite weak, but that's not really a problem on a village since everything with +2 Actions is frequently playable. Also, since this gives +3 Actions, it's less card-disadvantage than a Shanty Town that you reliably fail to draw with. I like that the ability to choose between discarding now and later avoids frustrations (like drawing this together  with only one Hunting Grounds).

Finalist

Chainsmith -- Mahowrath

A Smithy variant that stays in play for a turn (downside) but can be cast from your hand without an Action (upside) if you pay the cost.

An important aspect of this design is that the pain tokens don't go away by themselves. This means that using the upside requires you to have discarded one card per Chainsmith played up to that point, making them all only net +1 card rather than net +2 cards, which is a big deal. However, the upside of not having a dead turn is huge.

In practice, the hardest decision to make here may be whether to discard cards from functioning hands to prepare for future potential Village-less hands. At some point in most games, you'll probably want to stop doing it and just play Chainsmith as weaker Smithies, unless the game is such that you have the junk anyway.

I think this is a pretty cute design. Like a weaker smithy that comes with some added Insurance. Narrowly misses Finalist status.

Coronation -- spineflu

A card with a Mining Village-type one-shot effect. The effect is very powerful, whereas the penalty can range from irrelevant to devastating.

If the penalty hurts (if you rely a lot on provinces), then the card is quite weak, given that the top half is just a Silk Merchant for 5$. (Although you'll buy it sometimes just because of the +buy.) In such a case, you would at most have a few, and then you may or may not use the ability near the end of the game.

On the other hand, you can also play such that the penalty doesn't hurt much, like if you have one Province and otherwise Fairgrounds. I feel like in such a case, the card is supposed to be strong -- however, I'm not sure it is, and that feels like a design flaw to me. The card should at least have some boards where it shines. Throning after drawing cards is very good, but losing a 5$ is a big deal. Although, you certainly wouldn't feel too bad to use the effect to save a dead turn.

My secondary complaint is that the effects seem a bit disjointed to me (as in, I don't get how the different pieces fit together). Of course, this is highly subjective.

I do think the penalty itself is pretty cool.

Loki's Bargain -- emtzalex

I think the idea of this is quite cool, but you seem to have undershot the powerlevel by quite a bit. Suppose I play three in a row. The first is a Forum that discards one fewer card. The second is a Forum. And the third does nothing at all. This means that, after all three, my handsize is unchanged and I have lost an Action. (And if you choose not to play the third for -2 Tricks, the overall tally becomes quite a bit worse.) This compares very poorly to Forum. I think it could easily cost 3$.

Aside from that, my other complaint is that not playing it for -2 Tricks is a very hard sell, since the alternative is to decrease your handsize anyway and make the next two plays significantly weaker. Which is to say, I don't think this really gives you much of a choice, most of the time.

However, like I said, I think the idea is good, just not the specific numbers.

Sea-Dasher Octopus I mean Way of the Octopus  -- Timinou

Cool idea. I think the biggest thing to understand here is that the penalty is much to harsh to make using this regularly profitable, so using the Octopus is very much situational. I think that's a good thing; an effect that's as flexible as this one shouldn't be your default strategy. Of course, if my hand is Smithy-Smithy-Smithy-Gold-Province, I'll take 4 Debt to play a Worker's Village from the supply any day. And there are many other edge cases where this could come in relevant. Being very edge-casy may be a problem for an Action card, but it's a good place to be for a Way. I also like that it's limited to once per turn.

Being powerful but highly situational seems just about perfect for a Way. And I foresee some difficult decisions here -- do you play an early Witch if there's no way to get rid of the curse, thereby nuking your entire turn and maybe weakening your next one?

I'm not sure the wording is optimal. It does address the recursion thing, but it seems a bit lengthy, and I think you could misunderstand this as allowing you to play a 3$P card for 3 debt. I'm also not sure that the 'up to 5$' limitation is needed, given that the penalty is as harsh as it is.

Finalist

Wicked Village -- pubby

Very cool! I like that the penalty is 'discard your hand' rather than 'end your turn'; this makes it more reasonable to use in normal decks.

One thing that makes this hard to use is that the number is 7. This means you can't get into a stable mode of 'draw your deck every turn, play 6 sins during the draw phase, play the final sin after the payoff', unless you really get seven of them or have Throne Rooms. You can't even play the same number of sins every turn since 7 is a prime number. How Wicked!

I'd really like to try this. It sounds super fun. It also scores high on the elegant-o-meter.

(PS: I wrote all the above before reading that it was 'end your turn' initially. Good change.)

Finalist

Seedy Village -- Xen3k

This is somewhat similar to Fickle Festival, but I like the execution more.

To avoid the penalty, you will have to play exactly two terminals per Seedy Village (plus one for your initial Action; spending or keeping Villagers won't help you. If you fail to do that, the penalty is no joke. This triggers for each village separately, so if you play three, you get three ruins.

I think it's pretty cool, but also very swingy, and it's your bad luck that I'm generally not a fan of super swingy cards. However, do I think it's very elegant, and it's another card that narrowly misses Finalist.

As far as powerlevel goes, it's definitely high upside and high downside. Overall probably quite strong; the upper part is just so so good. It's a nice touch that Ruins can be used to consume excess Villagers.

Sentinel -- gambit05

So, this is 'Discard the top 3 cards of your deck; at the start of your next turn, +3 Cards and +3 Debt' with upside -- the upside being that you can choose to leave strong cards on top of your deck, but at the cost of drawing fewer cards next turn.  It's worth pointing out that discarding  cards is quality-neutral, so the baseline is 'no sifting' and you get to 'purchase' sifting at the cost of card disadvantage. That's kind of interesting, just because I don't know any other card that does this.

I do think it feels a bit unintuitive that you draw for the cards you discard rather than the ones you topdeck, but I don't know how the same effect could have been achieved otherwise.

Unfortunately for you, I strongly agree with faust that the fail-state is a problem. To address what you said to him in response:

There are a lot of deck inspection cards around and to my knowledge none of them has a backup function for the case that the deck is (nearly) empty.

The thing is, this is not deck inspection, it's draw with some optional inspection. This is akin to a Hunted Woods not working if you've drawn your deck, and I imagine that to feel really awful when it happens. I also don't think any official draw-for-next turn card has this property. Harvest is payoff with that property, and I do think it's a problem for Harvest, too. (Not often talked about just because Harvest is so weak anyway.) Although, the fact that you play this after you get to buy cards is a mitigating factor.

Freak -- Aquila

A card playing 5$s with the restriction that each card played with Freak cannot be played again afterwards, neither via Freak nor the usual way.

It's a neat idea for sure. However, I expect it to be an auto-buy most of the time. The reason is that most dominion boards have at least one Action card that is not competitive with the primary strategy, yet adding a cantrip is so powerful that almost everything becomes super strong. For example, suppose there is Navigator on the board, a card that you would ordinarily just ignore entirely. Well, with Freak it becomes a cantrip +2$ that also has some potential sifting on top. This is Grand Market powerlevel. And the peanlty -- zero, given that you're not interested in Navigator anyway.

That said, this is not a terrible thing if true, and it may offer some interesting decisions about whether you want to buy a medium-ish card, or rather avoid it to reap the benefits with Freak.

Naive Entrepreneur -- fika monster

On first play, this gains a a card costing up to 3$, probably a cheap action or a Silver. On second play, it probably gains a 5$ Action. On third play, it probably gains a Province, but each other player gains a card costing 4$ to their hand. Then, repeat.

This one is tough to evaluate. The only official card that just makes Provinces by itself that I can think of is Rebuild. Compared to Rebuild, this has some significant advantages (does something on the first two plays, doesn't require Victory cards) and disadvantages (doesn't cycle, can't choose to remove Provinces from the supply by remodeling Province). However, since it's also non-Terminal and costs 4$, a rush of buying it whenever you can and gaining Provinces whenever you can will probably be quite strong. In fact, I worry that it's oppresively strong -- you need only play it twelve times to get 4 Provinces, and this should be doable before many decks can really take off. Making it cost 4$ rather than 3$ was certainly a wise choice.

You may not have thought of a Rebuild-style approach as the way to use this card at all. However, I suspect that using i differently is not competitive. The penalty is significant, deliberately not getting a Province is tough, and if it's correct to buy one Naive Entrepreneur to gain Provinces, it's almost certainly correct to get as many of them as possible. There is no 'green a little bit' strategy.

Wanderer -- anordinaryman

Neat! This is exactly the kind of design I was envisioning with the theme. (As by your disclaimer, I'm evaluating it as a stand-alone.)

This seems very strong on first glance. However, it's somewhat tricky to use. The problem is that each new Wanderer turns all of your existing Wanderers into moats, so you cannot get by without villages -- and if you do buy Villages to support them, you're building a pretty inefficient engine with the upside of suddenly having a ton of free Actions. You need to have a plan about how to use those Actions if you want this to be worth it.

Another way to do it might be be with guaranteed +Actions like Fishing Village. If you have exactly 4 FV and play 2 each turn, you could support an arbitrary number of Wanderers while buying one new one per turn.

While I can't predict exactly how it would play out, I think this is a cool design. I like cards that make you plan ahead in novel ways.

Finalist

Chancellor -- majiponi

A fixed Chancellor! This is quite strong -- a terminal Gold with +buy is no joke, and the discarding ability is, in fact, quite useful (just itself not competitive with what other +2$ terminals can do).

I'm not quite sure why this doesn't just have the debt as part of its cost? The primary difference is that it interacts with remodeling differently. Either way, I think this is a solid design. I don't really have any complaints.

Businessman -- mathdude

Some debate over this one. As you may or may not know, I'm a balance skeptic, as-in, I don't buy that balance is itself something worth caring about. It can be an issue if a card is oppressive, like Rebuild, and being excessively weak is necessarily an issue since that makes a card unusable. However, being very strong can be fine: Fishing Village and Spice Merchant are extremely busted, but no-one complaints because they're support cards with diminishing returns.

This is also a support card. Moreover, it also has diminishing returns because of the in-built self-limiting effect. This means it can't ruin the game, no matter how strong it is. At worst, it takes strategy out of the opening turns if you always buy it.

With that all said, I think this is a neat way to design a sifter. It has the unique property that (unless you can pay off debt during your turn) it only gives you a limited amount of total sifting before it becomes too bad to be worth using. It has some added swinginess if you draw too many at once, but at least you can always choose to discard further Businessmen with your initial Businessman. Overall, solid.

Indebted Blacksmith -- JW

Much like Royal Blacksmith, Indebted Blacksmith is also one of the worst things you could buy early on. (Which establishes a nice theme.) Since the value of cards and Actions compared to Debt increases with the strength of your deck, this is a card that only gets worth buying later in the game.

... however, the catch is that the card is an unconditional +3 Cards. As such, it may well be your only key to an engine, in which case you will have to buy it early-ish, even when it's still much worse than a Smithy. Also an interesting touch.

Pretty cool. This was definitely one where thinking more about it made me like it more. Alas, there can only be four Finalists so I had to retract the title.

Verdict:

#Approaching Englightenemnt: Disappearing Village by mxdata
#Close to Enlightenment: Wanderer by anordinaryman
#Almost Enlightened: Way of the Octopus by Timinou
#Fully Enlightened...

Wicked Village by pubby!

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2021, 04:49:29 pm »
+1

Hey, fourth place is pretty good for this being only my third contest!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:27:44 pm by mxdata »
They/them

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2021, 05:33:22 pm »
+1

dang.

I agree with the judgemnt of my cards: I did not do the "rebuild" comparison, but i see it now.

pubby

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:02 pm »
+1

Thanks for judging, silverspawn!

I wonder what I'll do with all this enlightenment.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.