Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #110: This stays in play  (Read 18721 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #110: This stays in play
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2021, 09:53:52 am »

Maybe try "start of Clean-up" combined with "in play", e.g.:

"At the start of Clean-up of each of your turns for the rest of the game: You may trash 2 Coppers or 2 Silvers you have in play to gain a Silver or a Gold, respectively."

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:45 am »

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome
I think it need to say "for the rest of the game".

Updated original entry now does
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may trash 2 Coppers to gain a Silver or trash 2 silvers to gain a gold. These are gained to your hand
(This stays in Play)

Very cool idea for a submission. Per your request, here is some feedback, both technical/copy editing and substantive:

The card type (at the bottom) should be "Action - Duration" not just Action.

The phrase "This stays in play" should have a period at the end, inside of the parentheses, and the P in play should be lower case (see Hireling).

In the text ("trash 2 silvers to gain a gold"), the words "silvers" and "gold" should be capitalized. Also, it needs to specify that the 2 Coppers or 2 Silvers are being trashed from your hand (see Mine, Moneylender).

I think the last sentence ("These are gained to your hand") is a bit ambiguous, and the total text would not be longer if you added "to your hand" after both "gain a Silver" and "gain a Gold". If you are going to leave it as is, it needs a period.

Substantively, I think the card might be too powerful. The Copper to Silver swap is a no-brainer, and accomplishes something that's an incredibly important thing to do (getting rid of your Coppers) any cost to any turn. Usually, the turn on which you trash an item is somehow lessened by the trashing. The Silver-to-Gold has some cost, since the value goes from $2 to $3, but given that it is an option every time you have two Silvers in hand for the rest of the game, it's still an incredibly useful tool.

At the very least, I would suggest getting rid of the Vanilla bonuses (+Card/Action/Buy). If you are getting a bonus for the rest of the game, it is not at all unreasonable to make you use a terminal action on one turn to do it. Plus, they're taking up half the cards space and shrinking your text way down (which is going to get even smaller when you add "from your hand" twice).

Hope that was clear/helpful.

A lot of what you said makes sense and the corrections. Seems what I want to do is going to make too much text on the card. this one kinda does the same purpose
Lets see how this looks

Corrected some spelling

Just the first letter in Copper, Silver, and Gold should be capitalized, not the whole word

Also, is it intentional that this new version does not gain to hand?

Yes as it made the text too long as I had to add it to both Silvers and Gold. It still feels too wordy as it is now.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2021, 12:34:42 pm »
+1

New entry, wansnt happy with the earlier entry

A mixture of Prince and captain, with a bit of thinning.

Edit 1:

Wording fixes. (thanks CRLUNDY and S-SMARTS for pointing out loops and such.)

Edit 2: Segura thought it was too strong, so i nerfed collector: now the player to your left chooses what card you play with Collector. You may then trash the card that was played with collector

This version is still strictly better than Prince by a lot (at least the first copy), unless some other card forces you to Exile cards: You can just keep a single card in Exile, giving the other player no choice. Even without the extra trashing option, this should cost more than Prince.

You leave the played card in Exile and have to Exile a card from play every turn. Unless you plan to play just one card per turn, you can't "just keep a single card in Exile, giving the other player no choice."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2021, 12:50:24 pm »
+3

23 hour, 10 minute-ish warning

Submissions will be accepted up to the time that I post "Submissions Closed", which will be around (though not before) noon tomorrow.

Submissions so far:

Lithograph - Action Duration, $5 cost.
Gain 3 Silvers.
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may trash a Silver from your hand for +2 Cards, +1 Buy and + $2.
(This stays in play.)

Magnate (Action-Duration, $5)
At the start of each of your turns, if you have no Debt tokens, +2 Cards, +1 Buy and set aside two Debt tokens. At the start of your Buy phase, take all Debt tokens set aside by this.
(This remains in play.)

Harlequin
$5 - Action - Duration
At start of each of your turns for the rest of the game:
You may discard your hand for +4 Cards.
(This stays in play)

Mummer's Farce
Night/Duration - $5
+5 Villagers
+5 Coffers
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, lose a Villager or Coffers.
(This stays in play.)

Alchemical Factory
$6
Action - Duration
At the start of your turn, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a differently-named card to your hand, costing up to $1 more than it.
(This stays in play)

Salt Mine • $5 • Action - Duration
At the start of your turn, trash the top card of your deck. You may gain a copy of the trashed card.
(This stays in play)

Voyage | Night - Duration | $4
If this is the first time you played a Voyage this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Copper.
(This stays in play.)
-
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile)

Orrery:

Voyage | Night - Duration | $4
If this is the first time you played a Voyage this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Copper.
(This stays in play.)
-

Gentleman
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Silver to your hand, and each other player gains a Copper to their hand.

Quote from: Elvenworks
$5 - Night-Duration
For the rest of the game, if you have no Treasures in play at the start of your Night phase, +1VP and gain a card costing up to $4.
(This stays in play.)

Poet
$5 – Action – Duration
At the start of Clean-up of each of your turns for the rest of the game: Exile a card from your hand. If you can’t, gain a Curse.
(This stays in play.)

My submission:

Quote from: Almoner
ALMONER -- $4
ACTION - DURATION - VICTORY
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, trash a card from your hand.
(This stays in play.)

Worth 1VP plus 1VP per Almoner
you have in play.

Malaise
Action/Duration - $3
Gain a card from the Trash.
For the rest of the game, at the start of each of your turns, trash an Action card from the supply. (This stays in play)

Please let me know if I missed any submissions.
he/him

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2021, 01:33:08 pm »
+1

Updated Collector 1 last time
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2021, 01:54:28 pm »
+2

I think it's okay to let the judging address some card issues. Posting ways to improve a card can be done after a contest is complete.
Dude, demanding that a discussion shall be silenced or postponed ain't cool.
The point of the contests is not so much the judgement and who wins (that is just the framework) but the general discussion about card ideas. It is great when people take a lot of effort when they judge the cards but it is not like that is the only feedback that is useful for the card designers.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2021, 02:06:29 pm »

New entry, wansnt happy with the earlier entry

A mixture of Prince and captain, with a bit of thinning.

Edit 1:

Wording fixes. (thanks CRLUNDY and S-SMARTS for pointing out loops and such.)

Edit 2: Segura thought it was too strong, so i nerfed collector: now the player to your left chooses what card you play with Collector. You may then trash the card that was played with collector

This version is still strictly better than Prince by a lot (at least the first copy), unless some other card forces you to Exile cards: You can just keep a single card in Exile, giving the other player no choice. Even without the extra trashing option, this should cost more than Prince.

You leave the played card in Exile and have to Exile a card from play every turn. Unless you plan to play just one card per turn, you can't "just keep a single card in Exile, giving the other player no choice."

Oh, you're right, I  missed the "leaving it there" part. So assuming the Exiling during clean-up is supposed to happen every turn, I retract my above post - this version of Collector is significantly different from Prince in an interesting way, and no longer strictly better.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2021, 02:11:42 pm »
+1

So with the current version, once you are through the Coppers, the other dude Exiles your best cards and makes you play your worst cards. That makes the card more of a (Double-)Treasury/trasher thing and interesting mini-games can arise, like trashing an Exiled Silver to get at the good stuff.
It should be clear though that the large majority of Exiled cards will be Treasures (a Pearl Diver in Exile can potentially be better for the active player than a Gold!) so the card will behave very differently than the original Prince+ version.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2021, 03:06:38 pm »
+1

Effectively a + (Princed terminal Silver card) each turn with a small twist.
Bottom text

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2021, 03:50:20 pm »

So with the current version, once you are through the Coppers, the other dude Exiles your best cards

You get to choose which cards you Exile. You can still Exile bad Actions even after running through all your Coppers. The player to your left only decides which card you play from Exile, not which card you Exile.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:51:21 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2021, 04:02:28 pm »

Effectively a + (Princed terminal Silver card) each turn with a small twist.

Gem Study + Feodum would be quite the combo
They/them

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2021, 06:06:36 pm »

So with the current version, once you are through the Coppers, the other dude Exiles your best cards

You get to choose which cards you Exile.
You refer to an old version. In the current version, the other dude chooses.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2021, 07:32:32 pm »
+4

This is not really related to the card itself, but lately I've been frustrated with my cards for WDC: It feels like they are of bad quality, and that i have trouble getting inspired/make interesting cards, and that people don't think they are interesting. I know this is pretty self-absorbed, but I'm wondering if people think i have some positive influence here? It doesn't have to be big.

I think your cards are interesting, and you definitely contribute to the overall discussion. I have sometimes felt similarly frustrations. One of the great things about Dominion is how seemingly simple mechanics can interact in so many different and complex ways. While this makes for a fun game, it makes designing cards much more challenging, because every change you make to fix one issue can create three new ones. It's like trying to put a fitted sheet on a bed that is slightly too large for it.

One thing that I have tried to deal with my frustration is to simplify my card designs. Some of the best and most fun cards in the game just give vanilla bonuses, maybe with one additional line of text. With a relatively simple design, it can be easier to dial a card's effect up and down, as there are not as many moving parts. My card this week started out with a trash-for-benefit effect (and a different name) similar to Sacrifice. It made the text way to small, so I thought, do I really need this. I took that part out, made it cheaper, and tinkered with the other aspect. My current card is very different from where it started, but I like it a lot better.

Also, try to remember that this is all for entertainment, so if any part of it is not enjoyable, try to let that go. Your cards don't need to be perfect, and winning a contest, while fun, is not that important. There's no prize money or professional prestige. If you made the best response to the contest you could, and it's a card you like, that's all that really matters. When people give you feedback, it is worth listening to (since they took the time to give it) and considering. If you can apply it to make your card better, great! If not, or if you disagree with the feedback, thank the person and leave your card the way it is.

We don't all completely agree on what exactly the criteria are. For example, I happen to feel that if a fan card can combine with a single official card or WELP to be busted, then that makes the fan card effectively busted; two colliding is a fairly common occurrence, and that official card was there first (and is official), and the fan card needs to yield to it. I have given this as feedback regarding how a fan card interacts with a specific event, and the card's designer expressed the view that this was unlikely enough a possibility not to be of concern.

And that's totally fine! We each can have our own view, and the person running the contest can make their choice based on their own views/criteria. Because these are fan cards, people can make their own rules, and can even decide to never play that card with that event. It's not going to "mess up" the game for anyone, because they can just not play any fan cards they don't want to use. Again, this is all for fun.

To the extent it brings you enjoyment, I hope you keep designing and posting cards, and sharing feedback. And to the extent it does not, I hope it does not cause you any distress.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2021, 12:38:36 pm »

I think it's okay to let the judging address some card issues. Posting ways to improve a card can be done after a contest is complete.
Dude, demanding that a discussion shall be silenced or postponed ain't cool.
The point of the contests is not so much the judgement and who wins (that is just the framework) but the general discussion about card ideas. It is great when people take a lot of effort when they judge the cards but it is not like that is the only feedback that is useful for the card designers.

I'm sorry if my comments came across as rude.  I did say that comments and corrections are helpful.  I was just trying to say that the repeated back-and-forth about what I would consider are either "minor issues" (or even interpretations of a card) seemed to take away from the thread/contest, rather than add to it.  If my opinions are not shared, then I will keep them to myself on this matter in the future, and I apologize.

(The comment about giving ways to improve the card, being saved until after the contest - that was because based on comments, one or two of the cards seem to have become completely different than the original design seemed to intend).

Also... last chance for updates/submissions.  Let's say deadline is ~21 minutes from now - at 1pm.
he/him

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2021, 02:09:08 pm »
+4

This is not really related to the card itself, but lately I've been frustrated with my cards for WDC: It feels like they are of bad quality, and that i have trouble getting inspired/make interesting cards, and that people don't think they are interesting. I know this is pretty self-absorbed, but I'm wondering if people think i have some positive influence here? It doesn't have to be big.

Friendly reminder that almost no-one ever won their first contest with as few tries as you.

Also, I don't think it's rare that seasoned people submit cards that get no upvotes, either. I know it sometimes happens with my submissions, even with the higher effort ones. Maybe especially with the high effort ones.

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2021, 04:15:12 pm »
+1

I'm working on the judging. Hoping to have them up by tonight.
he/him

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2021, 10:32:33 pm »
+5

Here are the submissions and my comments and my own rating - how much I would want to include each card into a game I'm playing (for a fun, balanced game).  I recognize that my preferences are different than others, and others may like what I don't and vice versa, and that's okay.

I have copied the wording out of an image (for any that posted only an image), and have created a card image (for any that submitted text-only), just for consistency.

From pubby:

Quote from: Hitchhiker
$5 Action-Duration
+1 Action
For the rest of the game, discard one less card from your hand during clean-up.
(This stays in play.)

At first, this looked way too strong.  Then, realizing it only saves a card from hand (not from in play), it makes sense.  It would definitely allow you to build a deck with a few more Action cards in it than you would otherwise, since it's easy enough to save one for your next turn (increasing the power of your next hand by adding to it rather than replacing a card from it by topdecking).  As you said, the wording is unconventional, but is much more concise than alternatives - it just requires the clarification that at end-of-turn, you still draw 5 new cards (or 3 for Outpost) instead of drawing up to 5 cards in hand.  Overall, this looks like a fun card to play with.  Most of the time, I don't think there would be a need to buy a 2nd or more - unless you are regularly having too much money without extra Buys.
Rating: 7/10

From Aquila:

Quote from: Lithograph
$5 Action-Duration
Gain 3 Silvers.
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may trash a Silver from your hand for +2 Cards, +1 Buy and + $2.
(This stays in play.)

This card looks very difficult to judge.  In some Kingdoms, it would be very powerful.  In others, you would have to hope to match with those Silvers you gained and then it could be a dead card (at least it's set aside!) for the rest of the game.  I like the idea, but I think it's probably too strong (most of the time) to cost $5.  Alternatively, you could also take this idea, remove the "Duration" (and "start of turn"), and have it be a regular non-terminal Action card that gains a single Silver with the optional trash-for-benefit, costing only $4.  I think that would be at least as fun as this Duration card.
Rating: 6/10

From mandioca15:

Quote from: Magnate
$5 Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns, if you have no Debt tokens, +2 Cards, +1 Buy and set aside two Debt tokens. At the start of your Buy phase, take all Debt tokens set aside by this.
(This stays in play.)

In a way, this is like Wine Merchant - you need to have $2 leftover on some turn in order to be able to use it again.  It would be great to be able to activate it every turn.  But that would require a coin density in your deck of at least 1.0 in order to break even (the 2 cards you draw pay the 2 debt) - and obviously that's a waste of money to buy this card for that.  But the benefit of the card is for spike turns - one great turn (start with +2 cards), then on a future turn with less money, pay off the debt to set it up again.  Getting 2 or 3 of these in play would be huge, and because of that I think it probably needs to be pushed up to $6.  But otherwise, I think this would be a lot of fun to play with.

From Shael:

Quote from: Courtyard of Miracles
$4 Action-Duration
+1 Action
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may gain a Copper to your hand.
(This stays in play)

This would be a great card to buy and play multiples.  I think the changes you've made make it too strong.  With a 4/3 split, I'd buy Silver and this just about every time.  Then buy a couple more until I have 4 or 5 of them.  I think by turn 8 or 9 most games, you'd have at least 4 in play which will guarantee a Province almost every turn.  Either removing the +Action or (more likely) putting the cost back to $5 is probably needed.  I like the concept of self-junking for benefit though.  It really adds to the strategic element of the game.

From grep:

Quote from: Harlequin
$5 Action-Duration
At start of each of your turns for the rest of the game:
You may discard your hand for +4 Cards.
(This stays in play)

This is just one part of Minion - it's missing the Attack portion, and it doesn't give you an option for +$2 instead... but it does give you the mulligan option every single turn.  I think this card could land anywhere from $4 to $6 without feeling out of place.  Obviously the cheaper it is, the more likely someone would be to buy a second.  The concept makes sense and would fit in the game, but it also doesn't "wow" me.
Rating: 5/10

From xmdata:

Quote from: Archbishop
$6 Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: you may trash a card from your hand.

While this is in play, the first time you trash a card costing $2 or more each turn, +1VP
(This stays in play.)

I like that the trash-for-benefit isn't too strong.  It can trash Copper/Curse without benefit.  It can trash Estates without losing the VP.  Or it can trash early game Action cards that aren't needed anymore (such as weaker terminals).  Trashing anything else for that +1VP probably isn't worth it, as it weakens your hand that turn.  But it also feels like it would be available too late at $6 most of the time (terminal Action card with no benefit the turn it's played) - plus, I'd probably rather buy Gold than this at my first $6 most of the time.  And if there are any other trashing cards available, I likely wouldn't buy this at all.  I think your initial submission was too strong, but now this is too weak.  It serves too niche of a market in its current form.

From faust:

Quote from: Mummer's Farce
$5 Night-Duration
+5 Villagers
+5 Coffers
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, lose a Villager or Coffers.
(This stays in play.)

Immediately, this card is only worth 4 Villagers and 5 Coffers or vice versa, since start of turn happens before you can use either.  The +Villagers is only helpful when you have Action cards that need them.  But I could see using up those 5 Coffers in the next 1 or 2 turns after playing the card (buy a Gold, a really strong Action card, or multiples if you have +Buy your next turn).  The problem is, by the time you need some of the Villagers, they will likely be gone (maybe you'll be able to use 1 or 2 of them).  And to make it worse, any other cards in the game that give +Villagers or +Coffers are significantly weakened by buying Mummer's Farce.  Also, trying to buy a 2nd one makes matters worse as your stockpiles deplete even faster.  The +5 Coffers is great.  But I feel that the "Farce" in the name is too accurate.
Rating: 4/10

From spheremonk:

Quote from: Secret Stash
$6 Action-Duration
Place the top 3 cards of your deck face down under this.  At the start of each turn: set aside a card from your hand face down; put a card from under this into your hand; put the set aside card under this.
(This stays in play.)

This looks like a great way to either balance out your hands, or intentionally create spikes from one hand to another.  If you have too much money, set aside a Gold.  If you have too little, set aside a Victory card and pull out money you've saved.  If you have 2 terminal Action cards, set one aside.  If you have no Action cards in hand yet, pull one out that you had set aside.  It would be nice to just store Victory cards away in this, but that's what Island is for.  And at $6, this has so much more potential.  Plus, towards the end of the game, you can definitely start putting green cards under this.  It would be great to have multiples too - like having multiple Crypts in play.  Even better, Throne Room one of these (the Throne Room gets set aside with it for tracking, but then that $4 card is as valuable as this $6 card).  The only complaint I might have is that the wording is a little awkward, but I think it has to be, to ensure you can't just keep your hand the same - to force the trade of cards.
Rating: 8/10

From JW:

Quote from: Alchemical Factory
$6 Action-Duration
At the start of your turn, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, you may gain a differently-named card to your hand, costing up to $1 more than it.
(This stays in play)

This card is very, very strong.  Compare it to Upgrade.  Upgrade is a cantrip, same as this card (both leave you the same number of cards in hand before trashing).  Upgrade forces a trash, whereas this leaves it optional.  Upgrade gains the card normally (to discard pile) but this gains it to hand.  Upgrade must gain a card costing exactly $1 more, but this card is "up to $1 more", which would allow you to turn a $5 Action card into a Duchy near the end of the game - something Upgrade can't do.  Finally, Upgrade only works each time you get through your deck to play it, whereas Alchemical Factory works every single turn after you play it.  As is, this card probably needs to cost at least $8.  Otherwise, you need to take out a bunch of the options (force a trash, or gain costing exactly $1 more, or don't gain to hand, or even don't make the gain optional - trashing a Curse or Copper would get you back a Copper if it stays "up to $1 more").  It would be nice to have a card like this available, but it needs a few modifications for balance.

From spineflu:

Quote from: Salt Mine
$5 Action-Duration
At the start of your turn, trash the top card of your deck. You may gain a copy of the trashed card.
(This stays in play)

This is effectively the same as "Reveal the top card of your deck.  Discard it or trash it." other than the fact that your version works towards a 3-pile ending of the game.  It feels very weak, but if it were $4 I think it would feel quite strong (being able to regularly open with it).  I wonder about either doing the top 2 cards of your deck, or adding an option to put it back onto your deck instead of just trash/discard (maybe have the "gain a copy" be to the top of your deck"?)  I do agree that "to your hand" was too powerful though.  In general, blind trashing doesn't seem like a great idea.  There is one Zombie that lets you do that, but it actually seems better than this card (other than the fact that you can't do it every turn). 

From anordinaryman:

Quote from: Voyage
$4 Night-Duration
(This stays in play.)

I don't think I'm a fan of this card.  It's a single-shot extra turn (likely on the same turn you buy it, unless for some reason you'd rather save it for later).  Mid-game it's a way to turn a $4 hand into the possibility of a $5 or $6 hand.  Towards the end of the game, it's a chance to turn a $4 into a Duchy or hopefully a Province.  But as soon as you play it, you better hope you don't have many shuffles left in the game.
Rating: 3/10

From The Alchemist:

Quote from: Orrery
$4 Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: Look through your deck and discard pile.  Put a card from your discard pile into your hand, a card from your hand onto your deck, then discard a card from your deck.  After all start-of-turn effects, shuffle your deck.
(This stays in play.)

I feel that this is way too strong at $4.  Even with 1, once you discard a strong card from play (Gold, Goons, whatever), it comes back into your hand every turn.  And with 2, as you mentioned, you can take any card out of your deck, put it into your discard, then into your hand.  It either needs a much higher cost (at least $6, possibly more), or it needs some serious nerfing (though this would be hard to add, since there is already a lot of text).  I also don't really like that it messes with the normal movement of cards so much - a small amount make sense (e.g. Harbinger), but not this much.

From silverspawn:

Quote from: Tax Collector
$4 Action-Duration
For the rest of the game, when you shuffle your deck, +1 Coffers.
(This stays in play.)

I love the simplicity of this card.  Its effect is not overpowering (which is needed from a $4 permanent Duration card), but it does seem appropriate - and tied to the name very well too.  It will affect your strategy slightly, as you will want to be able to get through your deck faster (more draw, or more trashing, or both).  There's a good balance that would be needed.
Rating: 9/10

From DunnoItAll:

Quote from: Snoop
$4 Action-Duration
For the rest of the game, at the start of each of your turns, look at the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it on the top or the bottom of your deck.
(This stays in play.)

I like the additional option to bottom-deck the card you look at.  Even not in a Kingdom with Pearl Diver, it is a great additional option which isn't too complex but adds to the depth of the card.  I also like how they can stack together (something to definitely consider at $4 cost), but only if you're not top-decking the card you look at.  The real question is - how many of these would you buy at $4.  You could definitely get a few if there are not other strong $3 or $4 cards in the Kingdom.

From Lackar:

Quote from: Caravan City
$5 Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may trash 2 Coppers from your hand to gain a Silver or trash 2 Silvers from your hand to gain a Gold.
(This stays in Play)

This has some similarities to Trading Post.  Trading Post gains the silver to hand (from trashing 2 cards, usually Estates and Coppers, not just Coppers), but this card is permanent, optionally acts on every turn, and doesn't take up an Action.  The second option concerns me - yes, trading Silvers for Gold can be helpful, but you're giving up $4 buying power this turn to do it and have to wait a full shuffle to see the benefit.  It would be nice if that Gold could be gained to hand or topdecked, though having the Silver gained to hand was probably too powerful (the initial version of the card).  Maybe both gained cards could go to top of deck instead of discard pile?  I'm not sure.  I actually think I liked the initial concept better though - trashing 2 for a Silver to hand and if you didn't you gain a Copper.  I guess if the Copper is gained to hand, then stacking 3 of these cards would guarantee you a Silver to hand every turn (which seems reasonable for 3 cards costing $5).

From majiponi:

Quote from: Gentleman
$5 Action-Attack-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Silver to your hand, and each other player gains a Copper to their hand.
(This stays in play.)

This is like some previous submissions, gaining money to hand.  But I think this one balances it fairly well, even combining an effective Attack with it (which temporarily helps others, then later hurts them).  It's like playing a Council Room (which lets others draw a card), giving them +$1 this turn and even stacking with multiples (from the same or different players), unless a handsize attack hits.  One potential problem is especially in games with more players, it will cause the game to end fairly quickly.  Normally, Attacks slow the game down, but this one would likely speed it up - giving everyone more money on current turns.  I do think the gaining of Silver to hand should be optional (and the Attacking conditional on gaining the Silver) though.  This would actually work really well with Caravan City (previous submission above).  One potential problem is tracking who is affected by which Gentleman cards when Moat, Lighthouse, or Champion are in play (since whoever is affected is determined at the time it's played but that remains true the full time it's in play... for the rest of the game).

From Timinou:

Quote from: Elvenworks
$5 Night-Duration
For the rest of the game, if you have no Treasures in play at the start of your Night phase, +1VP and gain a card costing up to $4.
(This stays in play.)

This takes the concept of Devil's Workshop one step further - rather than just not buying a card this turn to gain a Gold, you now have the option every turn to gain both 1VP and a card (albeit only a $4 card).  I think it makes more sense to "gain a card costing less than this" so when cost-reduction is available, you can't gain other copies of Elvenworks with it.  And I think you used the wrong VP logo (should be the token).  But otherwise, I think this card fits perfectly with the Nocturne set.  Great design.

From gambit05:

Quote from: Poet
$5 Action–Duration
At the start of Clean-up of each of your turns for the rest of the game: Exile a card from your hand. If you can’t, gain a Curse.
(This stays in play.)

This card requires perfect timing to pull it off.  Ideally, you are Exiling all your Victory cards as they come in (and possibly Coppers if you haven't trashed them all yet), but you can't get one (or more) of these into play too early, or else you junk yourself.  This is clever.  And sometimes, you may end up taking that Curse anyway, as you need all your cards to buy that Province.  Other times, you may give up buying a Gold, just because you'd rather Exile a Copper than take a Curse.  This could be quite fun to play around with - and dangerous.

From emtzalex:

Quote from: Almoner
$4 Action-Duration-Victory
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, trash a card from your hand.
(This stays in play.)

Worth 1VP plus 1VP per Almoner you have in play.

Where Poet (previous submission, above) required good timing, I think this one is even more deadly if timed just wrong.  It's use is combined between the two parts (trashing and VP), but if you try to take too much advantage of the VP, then you wreck your deck/hand.  And like Distant Lands, this card isn't much use until it's played (though not quite as bad, because you could buy a whole bunch, then just put 2 or maybe 3 into play right at the end of the game, and it could be quite good if timed right).  I like the VP-play with this, but I'm not sure I like the trashing (though I'm not sure how to balance the VP play without it).

From NoMoreFun:

Quote from: Malaise
$3 Action-Duration
Gain a card from the Trash.
For the rest of the game, at the start of each of your turns, trash an Action card from the supply.
(This stays in play)

I might be missing something, but this card seems to not work.  You gain a card from the trash once (on play), but you trash a card every turn from the Supply.  This is helpful if you want to quickly get to a 3-pile ending.  But just putting a card into play that helps with that, without doing much else, doesn't seem like a great design.  I recognize that you've got the cheapest costing card design out of ~20 here, but I don't think it works.

From fika monster:

Quote from: Collector
$7 Action-Duration
For the rest of the game:
At the beginning of each of your turns, the player to the left chooses a non-Duration Action or Treasure card you have in Exile: Play it, leaving it there.  You may trash that card.
At the start of Clean-up, the player to the left chooses a card you would discard from play this turn.  Exile it.
(This card stays in play)

The most recent update to this card broke it.  I think it was fine at $6 cost, with the person playing it choosing which card to Exile from play.  You have some strength and some weaknesses.  You could always put strong cards into Exile, but then you have nothing left in your deck to play.  Or you could put a weak card into Exile (keeping good ones in your deck) but then you have a very weak start to your next turn.  By letting the person to your left, choose both what you Exile and what you play the next turn - that just means they put in a Copper or a weak Action card.  Although, now that I type that, it's not the end of the world to have that - and maybe comparable to the Hireling anyway?  And by trashing each card that is used in Exile, you still have the option to play a single good Action or a single Gold one turn to make sure it's available in Exile for use at least one turn.  If I thought about this one a bit more, maybe I'd like some of the final changes a bit more.  But I don't like it much at the moment.

From X-tra:

Quote from: Gem Study
$6 Action-Duration
For the rest of the game, at the start of each of your trns, gain a Silver to your hand and at the start of each of your Clean-ups, trash a Treasure you have in play.
(This stays in play.)

Another interesting way to put a Silver into your hand each turn - just trash it at the end of your turn (though it's even better than that at first, when you can trash Coppers while you still have them).  Unfortunately, I think this card is way too powerful at its cost.  You could quite easily end up with 2 or 3 of them in play and basically guarantee buying a Province every turn.  There needs to be some drawback.

From Xen3k:

Quote from: Kinsman
$4 Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may discard a card for +1 Card. If you discard a copy of this, choose one: +1 Action; or +1 Coffers; or gain a Horse.
(This stays in play)

I like the simple sifting effect of this card.  As someone else mentioned already, I think you would almost always want to play the next copy of it rather than discard for an additional benefit.  It looks like a good card, but nothing unique or amazing stands out to me.

Honourable Mention:
Secret Stash by spheremonk
Snoop by DunnoItAll
Poet by gambit05

Runner Up:
Elvenworks by Timinou

And the Winner is...
Tax Collector by silverspawn

Congratulations.  And thanks to all for the entries.  It was hard work, but a lot of fun, to judge them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:20:28 pm by mathdude »
he/him

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2021, 11:26:39 pm »

Congrats to Silverspawn!

However, I am pretty sure mine was missed. It was Kinsman.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2021, 02:25:43 am »
+2

From Timinou:

I think you used the wrong VP logo (should be the token).

Just for the record, Timinou used the correct logo for giving VP tokens (I have messed this up in the past so locked it down for myself). For example:

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2021, 04:37:00 am »

Aw

Anyway, i agree with the judging of my card: Its a mess lol
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2021, 09:45:51 am »
+1

Great judging. I also agree, My card name doesn't match, wording was too long for my original concept. I would like to thank you all for the corrections of spelling and design. I feel you are all helping me design better cards even tho this is only my 2nd entry. Hope I can keep coming up with ideas.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2021, 12:00:03 pm »

From faust:

$5 Night-Duration
+5 Villagers
+5 Coffers
(This stays in play.)

Immediately, this card is only worth 4 Villagers and 5 Coffers or vice versa, since start of turn happens before you can use either.  The +Villagers is only helpful when you have Action cards that need them.  But I could see using up those 5 Coffers in the next 1 or 2 turns after playing the card (buy a Gold, a really strong Action card, or multiples if you have +Buy your next turn).  The problem is, by the time you need some of the Villagers, they will likely be gone (maybe you'll be able to use 1 or 2 of them).  And to make it worse, any other cards in the game that give +Villagers or +Coffers are significantly weakened by buying Mummer's Farce.  Also, trying to buy a 2nd one makes matters worse as your stockpiles deplete even faster.  The +5 Coffers is great.  But I feel that the "Farce" in the name is too accurate.
While this seems a fair evaluation of the power level of the card (I think it's a bit stronger than given credit for, compared to Acting Troupe) - I am confused about what exactly the criticism is.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2021, 01:18:16 pm »
+2

Congrats to Silverspawn!

However, I am pretty sure mine was missed. It was Kinsman.

You are right, I completely missed it.  I remember reading it (and the discussion about it) as it was posted, but somehow skipped it in the judging.  I've just added it now (it scored 7/10).

I think you used the wrong VP logo (should be the token).

Just for the record, Timinou used the correct logo for giving VP tokens (I have messed this up in the past so locked it down for myself). For example:

You are correct.  I retract my statement!

Aw

Anyway, i agree with the judging of my card: Its a mess lol

The card had a good, unique idea, and I liked that.  But between all the suggestions and changes, it got confusing... for me, likely for you, and maybe for others too.  I'm not sure if it would end up working well (i.e. balanced and fun) in a real game or not, but it would be worth trying, once you sort out a few more parts of it... if you want to.

From faust:

$5 Night-Duration
+5 Villagers
+5 Coffers
(This stays in play.)

While this seems a fair evaluation of the power level of the card (I think it's a bit stronger than given credit for, compared to Acting Troupe) - I am confused about what exactly the criticism is.

I will admit that Renaissance is one of only 2 expansions I'm very unfamiliar with (Alchemy is the other), so I didn't have the reference of how it relates to Acting Troupe.  It's my own gut feel for the card, and the way I play may be different than other people (though I do tend to adapt fairly well to different Kingdoms, I believe).  But I feel the +Villagers are mainly placeholders which disappear quickly (and it gets worse if you try to buy a 2nd of these cards).  The +Coffers feel almost too strong (a really big buy possible next turn), but the +Villagers are too weak.  I guess I tend to prefer cards in my games where it's actually helpful (not harmful) to buy more than one of the same card, so I wasn't too fond of this card.
he/him

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2021, 04:22:54 pm »

From The Alchemist:
Quote from: Orrery
$4 Action-Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: Look through your deck and discard pile.  Put a card from your discard pile into your hand, a card from your hand onto your deck, then discard a card from your deck.  After all start-of-turn effects, shuffle your deck.
(This stays in play.)

I feel that this is way too strong at $4.  Even with 1, once you discard a strong card from play (Gold, Goons, whatever), it comes back into your hand every turn.  And with 2, as you mentioned, you can take any card out of your deck, put it into your discard, then into your hand.  It either needs a much higher cost (at least $6, possibly more), or it needs some serious nerfing (though this would be hard to add, since there is already a lot of text).  I also don't really like that it messes with the normal movement of cards so much - a small amount make sense (e.g. Harbinger), but not this much.

From silverspawn:
Quote from: Tax Collector
$4 Action-Duration
For the rest of the game, when you shuffle your deck, +1 Coffers.
(This stays in play.)

I love the simplicity of this card.  Its effect is not overpowering (which is needed from a $4 permanent Duration card), but it does seem appropriate - and tied to the name very well too.  It will affect your strategy slightly, as you will want to be able to get through your deck faster (more draw, or more trashing, or both).  There's a good balance that would be needed.

I know that the winner is already decided and I don't want to constest the ranking but I just whant to point that...
Orrery is too strong where tax collector is ok ?
I mean, Orrery have default, obviously, but this one...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:28:06 pm by Shael »
Post here your favorite fan-cardsThe ArchiveWitchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion € Not so Soon €                                          

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2021, 08:02:24 pm »

Yes, I believe Orrery is way too strong at $4, as it gives you huge control over your hand and deck... and does it every turn.

Tax Collector triggers only when you shuffle, which typically happens less and less frequently as the game goes on and even so only gives you +1 Coffers. Sure, you could get 2 (or even 3 or 5) in play... but at the cost of not buying other stuff, to get a couple extra Coffers every few turns.
he/him
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.