Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #110: This stays in play  (Read 18712 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest #110: This stays in play
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2021, 12:55:55 pm »

Salt Mine • $5 • Action - Duration
At the start of your turn, trash the top card of your deck. You may gain a copy of the trashed card to your hand.

(This stays in play)

Salt the Earth or just general deck-cleaning. Get a bunch to do a 3pile.

Isn't this for the most part better than Hireling? Granted, it sucks when piles start to run out but in the early game it's a Hireling+ for $5.

Not when it hits green (and inadvertently thins the provinces). Or when it hits junk. It's also different in Necromancer games. Think I should drop the "to your hand" part?

Yes I do believe this is (almost) strictly better than hireling. It's virtually: "+1 Card and either trash the drawn card or a copy of the drawn card from the supply". So, excluding times when the pile for the drawn card is empty, it's always a hireling+. This needs to be more than 6 if it gains to hand. I'd say drop the to your hand part.

yeah, i removed that. submission updated upthread.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2021, 01:24:58 pm »

That is a fair criticism. I was unsure of the rewards for discarding a Kinsman were good enough. Do you think a buff is warranted? Would  +2 Actions, +2 Coffers, or +2 Horses be too good?

As-is, discarding a Kinsman with another Kinsman is a Village, Baker, or delayed lab, and you sort of need two 4$s to do that. But one of the 4$s plays itself every turn, so you only really need like one and a half 4$s. That's not bad. I think buying Kinsmen with the goal of discarding Kinsmen is already reasonable. If you up it to +2 Coffers, it gets bonkers.

You could make it cost 5$ and give +2 Coffers. In that case, it would be all about discarding them with each other. It depends on whether you want that to be the best way to use them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2021, 01:36:28 pm »
+8

I didn't manage to get the tool to write 'this stays in play' in italics. I assume it's supposed to happen automatically, but it didn't. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:54:58 pm by silverspawn »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2021, 01:38:00 pm »
+2

I didn't manage to get the tool to write 'this stays in play' in italics. I assume it's supposed to happen automatically, but it didn't.
gotta put a
Code: [Select]
[i] in front of it

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2021, 01:39:36 pm »
+1

Card Update

Voyage | Night - Duration | $4
If this is the first time you played a Voyage this turn, and the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Copper.
(This stays in play.)
-
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile)

This card is now non-lethal: This now prevents you from gaining and playing all 10 Voyages in one turn, which would ultimately kill the other player of boredom. Thank you pubby for your help.

Sweet design..

This is a pedantic point, but you likely want "Once per turn" on it. Otherwise you can activate multiple on the same turn, and take several turns after.

Thank you! That's an excellent point!

If the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Copper.
(This stays in play.)
-

Each one you gain ends up junking your deck more and more. Maybe you can handle a copper a turn, especially towards the end of the game. Not too many decks can handle gaining 5 coppers each turn.

Trash in play essentially a multi-use seize the day and I'm okay with that.

Voyage/Gardens would likely be a very strong combo, sounds fun... :D

BTW, is Voyage discarded when the Copper pile is empty?

Is Hireling discarded when your deck+discard is empty at start of turn? It's possible you could gain cards such that Hireling may draw you a card later. Therefore, Hireling stays in play. This would follow the same rules. Through ambassador, it's possible that in the future Coppers could get added to the supply, so it makes sense Voyage would stay in play, even when Coppers are empty.

If the previous turn wasn't yours, then take an extra turn after this one. At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Copper.
(This stays in play.)
-

Each one you gain ends up junking your deck more and more. Maybe you can handle a copper a turn, especially towards the end of the game. Not too many decks can handle gaining 5 coppers each turn.

Trash in play essentially a multi-use seize the day and I'm okay with that.

I feel like it could cost more.  You probably won’t be buying this early in the game anyway.  Late in the game, the junking probably isn’t too detrimental and this would almost be like Seize the Day without the once per game limitation.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree it could cost more. It can also cost 4 and isn't broken as such. I think enabling buying it earlier at 4 is more interesting because buying it earlier makes the drawback a lot bigger. This was specifically priced the same as Seize the Day for that comparison -- often you only want to buy Voyager once. At $4 it competes with Seize the day, and sometimes you can make a use of those extra coppers. Often it's strictly worse than Seize the Day though. I think $4 works for this, and I do like giving $4-cost gainers the ability to gain it. Donald X has previously stated that he likes to make card as cheap as they can be to still work with other cards. I think $4 works perfectly fine here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:43:57 pm by anordinaryman »

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2021, 01:58:43 pm »
+1

My entry is the Snoop. A cross between Spy and City Gate. Better than Spy because it's permanent and better than City Gate because it has potential to stack.

Originally, it was simply look at the top card and put it back or discard it. This stacks only when you discard. As soon as you choose to put it back, your next Snoop is looking at the same card again. The idea of giving the chance to put the card on the bottom of your deck is to let you look at the next card down without discarding the looked at card. Maybe you could even go back and get it with a Pearl Diver!

updated to add "for the rest of the game"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 06:21:12 am by DunnoItAll »

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2021, 04:32:39 pm »

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome

Updated entry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:16:11 am by Lackar »

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2021, 05:14:19 pm »

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome

Seems a bit weak.  Especially if there's other trashing in the kingdom.  In the long run, it would end up flooding your deck with Silvers and Coppers (the Coppers self-limiting, granted).  It would also work poorly with discard attacks.  Discard attacks would make it almost a guaranteed Copper-gainer, since you're probably not going to want to keep 2 Coppers in hand after discarding down.  And even in a kingdom with no trashing and no discard attacks, you'd never want to buy more than one of these (2 in play would nearly guarantee that you gain a Copper, unless you started with a hand that had 4 Coppers), so I'd think that, even in those kingdoms where it would work, it would be better suited as a Project
They/them

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2021, 07:30:34 pm »

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome
I assume the +card, action, buy are for the turn you play it, then the rest is each turn for the rest of the game. Check Hireling or Champion for wording to make it more clear.
he/him

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2021, 07:40:03 pm »

Gentleman
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Silver to your hand, and each other player gains a Copper to their hand.

The Alchemist

• Golem
  • Respect: +214
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2021, 08:56:18 pm »
+1

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome

I think this does need to say "At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game" like hireling. As it is written, (if it didn't have the parenthetical) then the copper effect would never activate. A duration card only stays out for as long as the effect on the card instructs it to, and the turn you play it, the start of turn has already passed.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2021, 10:58:06 pm »

Gentleman
cost $5 - Action - Attack - Duration
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: gain a Silver to your hand, and each other player gains a Copper to their hand.

Gaining to hand for both effects would make this work really weird in multiplayer.  Imagine four players each with just one 1 Gentleman in play (including yourself), and assuming no discard attacks - you'd start each turn with a total of 9 cards in hand, including 3 Coppers and a Silver, effectively starting each turn with +$5!  Maybe drop the "to their hand" part for the Copper?  Or limiting it with "Each other player with 5 or fewer cards in their hand ..."?
They/them

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2021, 11:41:16 pm »
+2

EDIT: Revised text

Quote from: Elvenworks
$5 - Night-Duration
For the rest of the game, if you have no Treasures in play at the start of your Night phase, +1VP and gain a card costing up to $4.
(This stays in play.)

Elvenworks is basically like Alms with alt-VP.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:57:47 am by Timinou »

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2021, 12:42:56 am »

$5 - Night-Duration
If you have no Treasures in play, +1VP and gain a card costing up to $4.
(This stays in play.)

It stays in play.  But what occurs each turn?  What does it check for, and when?  Start of turn?  Start of Night Phase?
he/him

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2021, 12:49:00 am »

$5 - Night-Duration
If you have no Treasures in play, +1VP and gain a card costing up to $4.
(This stays in play.)

It stays in play.  But what occurs each turn?  What does it check for, and when?  Start of turn?  Start of Night Phase?

It activates during the Night phase.  I'll clarify that in the card text.

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2021, 11:24:08 am »
+2

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome

I think this does need to say "At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game" like hireling. As it is written, (if it didn't have the parenthetical) then the copper effect would never activate. A duration card only stays out for as long as the effect on the card instructs it to, and the turn you play it, the start of turn has already passed.
How does this look?

+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, you may trash 2 Coppers to gain a Silver or trash 2 silvers to gain a gold to your hand
(This stays in Play)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2021, 03:53:03 pm »
+2

My Submission:

Poet
$5 – Action – Duration

At the start of Clean-up
of each of your turns for
              the rest of the game: Exile               
a card from your hand. If
you can’t, gain a Curse.

(This stays in play.)

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2021, 05:09:01 pm »
+3

My submission:

Quote from: Almoner
ALMONER -- $4
ACTION - DURATION - VICTORY
At the start of each of your turns for the rest
of the game, trash a card from your hand.
(This stays in play.)

Worth 1VP plus 1VP per Almoner
you have in play.

Works like Cathedral (although not quite as good, because it doesn't take effect until you've drawn and played it). It costs more because it doubles as Alt-VP. With one in play, it's 2VP for $4, which is not terrible, but not great. If you can time things correctly and play a second one just as the game ends, they go up to 3VP each, and you've been buying Duchies at $4. That timing could be a risky proposition, as you risk both getting snipped on one hand and taking multiple turns late in the game where you have to trash 2 cards on the other. There may even be an odd Kingdom were you would want two of these in play for an extended period of time, but that would usually be pretty rough.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2021, 04:42:42 am »
+2

I didn't manage to get the tool to write 'this stays in play' in italics. I assume it's supposed to happen automatically, but it didn't. :)

Stupid question, but does this mean that if i, say, have drawn my entire deck and then gain a silver to discard and then draw a card, that i get +1 Coffers? And that one could do this multiple times?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2021, 05:29:56 am »

Haven and Sacrafice had a baby, and it became this!

Edit: Wording changes per Shaels and Annie administrator suggestion

Edit 2: Wording changes to make it clearer.

Thinking of c hanging my Submission this week, people don't seem that interested in this one

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2021, 05:54:10 am »
+1

Thinking of c hanging my Submission this week, people don't seem that interested in this one

Are you aware that exchanging by default means that the exchanged card is put to the discard pile (and the other one usually back to its pile)? Also, it is not clear to me which of the 2 exchanged cards gives the bonus. Aside of that, quite a lot of text (or at least a lot of lines).

fika monster

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2021, 06:07:23 am »
+1

Are you aware that exchanging by default means that the exchanged card is put to the discard pile (and the other one usually back to its pile)? Also, it is not clear to me which of the 2 exchanged cards gives the bonus. Aside of that, quite a lot of text (or at least a lot of lines).

Its supposed to be that the card you put under Chamber is the one that gives a bonus . i don't really understand the first point you mnade

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2021, 06:17:46 am »
+1

Its supposed to be that the card you put under Chamber is the one that gives a bonus . i don't really understand the first point you mnade

Here are the rules about exchange from the wiki.

So, if you follow the official rules, using the term exchange, the card from hand would go back to its pile and the other one would go to the discard pile, or maybe the other way around, I am not sure, as in your case you "exchange" 2 cards that both already belong to the player. Anyway, is that your intention, or if not what is it?

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2021, 06:29:25 am »

Here is my submission

Feedback welcome
I think it need to say "for the rest of the game".
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 06:35:34 am »
+3

Malaise
Action/Duration - $3
Gain a card from the Trash.
For the rest of the game, at the start of each of your turns, trash an Action card from the supply. (This stays in play)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.