Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Equipment - Update  (Read 1885 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Equipment - Update
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:29:45 pm »
+6

Equipment cards

When I introduced the concept of Equipment cards a while back, we had a lot of discussions, though it was mostly about the terminology. On one hand, this allowed me improving the cards and fine tuning the mechanic and it’s terminology; on the other hand, it left the original thread in quite a mess. Moreover, in the meantime I have designed more Equipment cards, improved some of the original ones, and retracted some others. Now, I think it’s time for an update of the Equipment cards. I would like to describe the mechanics and to present those Equipment cards that I currently consider to be the more interesting ones without being too complex and too wordy. I tried to find a good mix of relative simple cards and of cards that provide different aspects of the concept.

Overview
Equipment cards are non-Supply cards that are not part of a pile, likewise Shelters and Heirlooms, and usually come in a single copy per player. If a certain Kingdom card is included in a game, each player gets the associated Equipment card(s). At the start of the game, players put the Equipment cards next to them and add them to their deck under certain circumstances via a process called Equip.

Color code
Kingdom cards that have associated Equipment cards have a light blue banner that names its Equipment card(s) (adapted from the yellow banner of Heirlooms from Nocturne). Equipment cards are labeled with the Equipment type and colored in light blue (instead of the white-greyish color for the Action type). This is combined with other colors (e.g. black for Night, yellow for Treasure) where required. Some Equipment cards can be put on the player’s Cabinet mats to modify or activate abilities. Each player has their own Cabinet mat. Those Cabinet-Equipment cards are specified by the Cabinet type and have, in addition to the light blue Equipment type color, a tan-colored text field (akin to the Reserve cards of Adventures). Cards on the Cabinet mat still count as part of the player’s decks, whenever this is relevant (e.g. for Gardens at the end of the game).

Equip
Equipment cards enter the game via the instruction Equip. This can occur through the respective Kingdom card or when a specific event happens. Equipping of some of the Equipment cards is mandatory, whereas it is optional for others. Before being Equipped, Equipment cards are in a “stand by” mode, and as such do not count as part of the players’ decks. If not otherwise specified, Equipping an Equipment card means that the card is put to the player’s discard pile. This is neither gaining nor discarding them and thus doesn’t trigger any events such as “when you gain a card…” or “when you discard…”. Once Equipped, Equipment cards are part of the players’ decks, unless they are trashed or removed in some other ways.

Cards

Bowman
– Action
Equipment: Quiver

+1 Card
+1 Action

+

You may gain a card               
from the trash.

Quiver
– Action - Equipment

+1 Card
+1 Action

You may trash this for
+1 Buy and +.
------------------------
            When you have exactly 3             
Action cards in play, you
may Equip this.
Observatory
– Action
Equipment: Telescope

Set aside any number of cards         
from your hand, face down
(under this). Draw until you
have 6 cards in hand.
At the start of your next Night
phase, put the set-aside cards
into your hand.

Telescope
– Night - Equipment

Choose one: Play an Action
card from your hand; or
          trash a card from your hand.         
------------------------
Directly after shuffling your
deck, you may Equip this.

Bowman/Quiver
Quiver is a cantrip, which can be trashed for some bonus. Bowman is a Peddler variant that can gain cards from the trash, including Quiver, whether it’s their own or from another player.
A player can Equip their Quiver any time when they have exactly 3 Action cards in play. This is obligatory and independently of Bowman, i.e. a player can play with Bowman and ignores Quiver and vice versa. Like for most other Equipment cards, each player has a single copy of Quiver available.

Observatory/Telescope
Observatory is a draw-to-X variant that allows setting cards aside before drawing. Those cards go back to hand in the Night phase of the same turn and thereby bypass the rest of the Action phase and the Buy phase. Telescope is a Night card that interacts with Observatory in two ways. It can be set aside by Observatory and still be played in the same turn and it can support Observatory as it allows playing an Action card in the Night. Similar to Quiver, Equipping Telescope is optional. Here, the requirement is simply deck shuffling.

Lady Godiva
– Action
Equipment: Clothes

+

-------------------------

While this is in play, when
you buy a card, you may
     take to pay less for it.     

Clothes
– Action – Night - Equipment

You may add 1 of your to
a Supply pile. When a player
buys a card, they take the
from its pile.
----------------------------
Directly after shuffling your
deck, you may take to
 Equip this.

Lady Godiva/Clothes
Lady Godiva is a Kingdom card that uses as a mechanic. I have designed quite a number of cards that extent the ideas of beyond its usage in Empires. If you want to know more about it, here is the original thread, though it is somewhat outdated. Clothes is an Action – Night card that can be played in either of the two phases, thereby providing flexibility of its “taxing” function. Playing it in the Action phase allows getting rid of before the Buy phase starts; whereas playing it in the Night phase allows getting rid of taken in the Buy (or Night) phase.
Adding the Equipment Clothes to a player’s deck is optional and can happen when their deck is shuffled, like with Telescope. However, here it comes with a cost in that the player who wants to Equip Clothes has to take .    

Trident
– Action
Equipment: Cyclops, Harpy, Siren

+1 Action
Choose one: +; or
Equip one of your Trident’s
        Equipment cards to your hand;       
or gain a card from the trash.

Cyclops
– Action – Attack –Equipment

+

Each other player reveals
the top 2 cards of their
deck, trashes one of them
costing or , and
          discards the rest. Trash this.         

Harpy
– Action – Attack –Equipment

+1 Card

Each other player discards           
down to 3 cards in hand.
Trash this.

Siren
– Action – Attack – Looter – Equipment

Gain a Cart.

Each other player gains
a Ruins. Trash this.

Trident/Cyclops, Harpy, Siren
When played, Trident offers 3 options. It can Equip one of its not yet Equipped Equipment cards, in this case directly to a player’s hand. The 3 Equipment cards are all Attack cards that can harm other players in different ways and are trashed after being played. Here comes Trident’s 2nd option into the game. Instead of Equipping one of its Equipment cards, Trident can also recover them from the trash. If anything else of value is in the trash, Trident can gain that other card instead. Thus, although the Equipment cards are one-shot Attacks, they can be easily recycled through Tridents, though not necessarily from the same player. Finally, the 3rd option of Trident is simply giving +. Maybe, a player doesn’t have anything to Equip anymore, and there is nothing of value in the trash, or maybe, getting to a certain amount has a higher priority than attacking the other players.

Drummer
– Treasure
Equipment: Drums

If the Morale is Good,
           High or Excellent, +1 .           

Drums
– Treasure – Morale – Equipment

If the Morale is Good, High           
or Excellent, +1 .
 Reveal the top Morale.
When you gain a Treasure,
Equip this.

Mahout
– Action – Duration
Equipment: Elephant

Either now or at the start of           
your next turn: Trash a card
from your hand. Per it
 costs, +1 Card.

Elephant
– Action – Morale – Equipment

+1 Action
Reveal the top Morale.
Choose one to gain: A
         Silver; or a Horse; or a Cart.         
Directly after shuffling
your deck, Equip this.

Drummer/Drums
Drummer and Drums are Treasures producing and a potential bonus of +1 . Adding the Equipment Drums to the players decks is almost mandatory, i.e. it can be only avoided if a player manages to never gain any Treasures. In principle, players can play with Drums and ignore the respective Kingdom card, Drummer, though there is a nice benefit when Drummer is played at the right time. These cards include the mechanic Morale, which has been described elsewhere. Briefly, Morale cards form a mixed pile of Boons/Hex-like landscape cards that can either give benefits to players, potentially harm them or are neutral in their effects. The actual Morale is received by all players at the start of their turns until the next Morale is revealed. Revealing the next Morale is done by specific cards like Drums. In addition, some cards can produce an extra bonus, depending on the type of the actual Morale, e.g. Drummer and Drums let the player get +1 , if the Morale is high enough.

Mahout/Elephant
Mahout is a Salvager variant with the choice to use the trash-for-draw ability immediately or at the start of the next turn. The Equipment Elephant is automatically Equipped after the first shuffle. It lets players gain some useful cards, which can be used as fodder for their Mahouts if desired. One of those cards is Cart, a one-shot non-Supply card like Horse. Likewise Drums, Elephant changes the players’ Morale, which becomes effective at the start of their turns.

Kingsman
– Action
Equipment: Harp, Shield, Sword, Trumpet

+1 Action
Follow the instructions of the
Kingsman’s Equipment cards
on your Cabinet mat.

Equip one of your Kingsman’s
Equipment cards.

Harp
– Action – Cabinet - Equipment

Put this on your Cabinet mat.

If this is on your Cabinet mat,         
when you play a Kingsman,
+1 Buy.

Shield

+1 Coffers.

Sword

+1 Action.

Trumpet

+1 Card.

Kingsman/Harp, Shield, Sword, Trumpet
Kingsman comes with four different Equipment cards, all of which as single copies per player. The Equipment cards are Equipped one at a time in any order when a Kingsman is played. When the Equipment cards are played, they are put on the player’s Cabinet mat. On the mat they gradually improve the abilities of Kingsman when played. In this way, Kingsman starts as a Ruined Village that can be upgraded over time to something more powerful than a Grand Market.

Camp
- Action
Equipment: Tent

+1 Card
+1 Action

Follow the instructions of a           
Tent on your Cabinet mat.

Equip your Tent.

Tent
– Action – Cabinet – Equipment

+1 Action
You may put this on your Cabinet
 mat. If you don’t: + for each
Camp you have in play.
----------------------------
     If this is on your Cabinet mat, when     
 you play a Camp, +1 Card and
discard this at the start of Clean-up.

Highwayman
– Action - Attack
Equipment: 3 Coaches

+
Each other player reveals
the top 2 cards of their deck,
 trashes a revealed Coach and
discards the rest.
Choose one: Equip a Coach;
          or gain a card from the trash.         

Coach
– Action – Cabinet – Equipment

Choose one: +2 Cards and           
+1 Action and gain a Cart;
or put this on your Cabinet
 mat for +2 .

Camp/Tent
Each player has a single copy of the Equipment card Tent, which a player Equips when they play a Camp for the first time. Tent can be used in two different way. It can be put on the Cabinet mat to turn subsequently played Camps into Labs, or it can be left in play to produce + for each Camp that is already in play. If on the Cabinet mat, Tent can wait there until the next Camp is played, i.e. this doesn’t have to occur in the same turn. However, once a Camp is played, Tent is discarded from the mat at the Clean-up phase of the same turn.

Highwayman/Coach
When Highwayman is in the Kingdom, each player gets 3 copies of Coach (not a single copy). Highwayman hunts other players’ Coaches and lets them trash one, if found. Highwayman can also gain Coaches or any other card from the trash, or alternatively Equips a player’s own Coaches. Coaches can be put on the player’s Cabinet mat where they escape any further hunting attempts and grant the player +2 . Alternatively, Coaches can be used as powerful Action cards, though they remain vulnerable to being caught by the opponents’ Highwaymen. One of the bonuses that such Coaches give is a one-shot Cart

Update 21. April 2021: Trident seemed a bit too weak. I buffed it indirectly by giving its Equipment cards a small bonus on top of their attack abilities.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:33:50 am by gambit05 »

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment - Update
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:24:36 am »
+1

I'd love to playtest these. Are there higher quality images anywhere?

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 04:09:42 pm »

Nice to hear that you like them and that you want to play test them. That would be really helpful. I've play tested most of them a bit and most of those look solid and funny to play with, though I think they are not yet ready.

I don't have higher quality images. Do you really want to print them before trying to test a few of them as replacement cards or something like that?

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:11:19 am »
+1

Nice to hear that you like them and that you want to play test them. That would be really helpful. I've play tested most of them a bit and most of those look solid and funny to play with, though I think they are not yet ready.

I don't have higher quality images. Do you really want to print them before trying to test a few of them as replacement cards or something like that?

Just use them in tabletop simulator.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:25:42 am »

Just use them in tabletop simulator.

I see. Would the following quality be high enough?

The most critical part of the original images is in my opinion the text in the blue banner of the Kingdom cards. I can't color it in the Card Image Generator; so have to do it in two steps. In the original images, out of laziness, I exported its text to png in the 2nd step. Now, the text is from the Image Generator; though it still had to be done in 2 steps. I still used 2 steps for the artwork (didn't bother to look it up on the internet again). Is its quality sufficient? Also, how about the Equipment cards without the blue banner?

Edit: Original image for comparison on the right.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:29:19 am by gambit05 »

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 09:44:47 am »

Easily.  Sorry it's a pain.  I thought you probably just had a stash of them on your computer from the generator.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 09:54:11 am »

Easily.  Sorry it's a pain.  I thought you probably just had a stash of them on your computer from the generator.

No, there are still too often changes. For that purpose, it's quicker and easier to work with low resolution images. If you like, I can gradually replace (some) of the images over the next couple of days. Although it wouldn't be highest on my priority list. Anyway, if you indeed play with some of my cards, I would be very happy if you could give me some feedback. Thanks.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 11:12:22 am »

No, there are still too often changes. For that purpose, it's quicker and easier to work with low resolution images. If you like, I can gradually replace (some) of the images over the next couple of days. Although it wouldn't be highest on my priority list. Anyway, if you indeed play with some of my cards, I would be very happy if you could give me some feedback. Thanks.

Oh, for sure. I would even record the games and put them on youtube if you'd like. I'll just check this thread from time to time if you want to update the images. If not, no big deal.

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 04:46:20 am »
+1

I've replaced the images in the original post now with images of higher quality.

A few notes, if you want to play with those cards:

- They are only a subset of a large expansion. I am still working on some cards before I may show them.

- From the cards shown here, Drummer/Drums and Mahout/Elephant use Morale. This is a pile of 30 landscape cards, comparable to a mix of Boons/Hexes. All players are affected from the actual Morale until the next one is revealed. Players receive the actual Morale at the start of their turns (not when they are revealed).

- Elephant and Coach can gain a Cart. This is in a non-Supply pile with a limited copy number. My current setting is 6 copies for 2 players, +2 copies for every additional player. Please note that Cart says "empty pile" and not "empty Supply pile". So, also non-Supply piles count, i.e also the Cart pile itself.

- Most importantly, I recommend not to play with too many of the Equipment cards at once. That can be confusing at the beginning, and even annoying after a while (if done too often). Consider it like a game full of Heirlooms and/or with a lot of Fate and Doom cards.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 10:46:50 am »
+1

I've replaced the images in the original post now with images of higher quality.

A few notes, if you want to play with those cards:

- They are only a subset of a large expansion. I am still working on some cards before I may show them.

- From the cards shown here, Drummer/Drums and Mahout/Elephant use Morale. This is a pile of 30 landscape cards, comparable to a mix of Boons/Hexes. All players are affected from the actual Morale until the next one is revealed. Players receive the actual Morale at the start of their turns (not when they are revealed).

- Elephant and Coach can gain a Cart. This is in a non-Supply pile with a limited copy number. My current setting is 6 copies for 2 players, +2 copies for every additional player. Please note that Cart says "empty pile" and not "empty Supply pile". So, also non-Supply piles count, i.e also the Cart pile itself.

- Most importantly, I recommend not to play with too many of the Equipment cards at once. That can be confusing at the beginning, and even annoying after a while (if done too often). Consider it like a game full of Heirlooms and/or with a lot of Fate and Doom cards.

Nice, I'll be adding all of this to my TTS today.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.964 seconds with 20 queries.