Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #109: Raise the dead.  (Read 15604 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #109: Raise the dead.
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2021, 07:38:43 am »
+2

But I think there's a bigger problem here... there are 3 Zombies in the trash at the start of game and there are 10 of your Throne. So unless there is other trashing that can put decent Actions or Treasures there, most of the cards in this pile are not useful. You could maybe add to Setup that you put the top card of each Kingdom Pile in the trash (or each Action and Treasure Kingdom Pile to exclude things like Gardens, or Action and Treasure Supply Pile to include Silver and Gold).
I don't think that's too big of a problem; most of the cards in the Chapel pile are not useful either. It's definitely too swingy to put like, Goons or stuff in the trash during setup.

Also, every game with this will have Zombies, which themselves provide a way to put stuff in the trash.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 07:49:00 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Wolflover

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2021, 10:19:59 am »

First timer, decided to give this a try. Here is my submission

Should that be "$4 or more", or do you really mean for it to only apply to cards costing *exactly* $4?

Exactly $4

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2021, 12:42:26 pm »
+1

Regarding undead throne, you can avoid issues by gaining the card first, and trashing from a different location. Something like:
Gain an Action card from the trash. If you did, play the gained card twice. If you didn't, trash an Action card from the supply.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2021, 02:59:30 pm »

Regarding undead throne, you can avoid issues by gaining the card first, and trashing from a different location. Something like:
Gain an Action card from the trash. If you did, play the gained card twice. If you didn't, trash an Action card from the supply.

I liked this suggestion a lot, and implemented it. Funnily enough, its a buff: because you can now sorta gain cards with it.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2021, 04:18:30 pm »
+2

Can't think of much, but here is something (possibly broken):

Zombie Forager (Action-Zombie, $3)

+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand, then +$1 per two differently named cards in the trash (round down).

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2021, 05:38:50 pm »
+1

+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand, then +$1 per two differently named cards in the trash (round down).

I don’t think it’s necessarily broken given that you can’t play it more than once per turn except in some rare circumstances.  But it doesn’t take much to get this to become a terminal Gold (Zombies, Copper, Estate, and one other differently named card in the trash).  In games with Ruins and/or Shelters, I could see this being overpowered.  I like the concept overall though.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2021, 06:31:38 pm »
+1

This is not an entry.  I originally wanted to make a victory card, then I went away from it when it felt awkward, but I wanted to post it anyway to get some advice. What would be the best wording for the middle section? It's looking at card types, like Courtier. "worth %1 per different type of card in the trash" sounds better, but then it seems like it's less clear.  The goal is for it to easily be worth 3 points, usually be 4 or 5, and with some work, it could get up to 6+.  It might be too good in comparison to Duchy, but I'm mostly looking for wording advice since this isn't an official entry.

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2021, 07:28:35 pm »

+1 Buy

I don’t think it’s necessarily broken given that you can’t play it more than once per turn except in some rare circumstances.  But it doesn’t take much to get this to become a terminal Gold (Zombies, Copper, Estate, and one other differently named card in the trash).  In games with Ruins and/or Shelters, I could see this being overpowered.  I like the concept overall though.

I actually wonder if it could be a Kingdom Action card (with Setup: add 3 Zombies to the trash) instead of being a Zombie card. As is, it would probably need to cost $6 or maybe even $7. But maybe it changes to $1 per 3 differently named cards in the trash.
It shares some similarities to Trade Route
he/him

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2021, 07:54:32 pm »

... different type among cards in the trash

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2021, 08:43:42 pm »

+1 Buy

I actually wonder if it could be a Kingdom Action card (with Setup: add 3 Zombies to the trash) instead of being a Zombie card. As is, it would probably need to cost $6 or maybe even $7. But maybe it changes to $1 per 3 differently named cards in the trash.
It shares some similarities to Trade Route

Forget this idea. It doesn't interact well with the actual Zombies... unless it were to give a choice to either play an Action card from the trash or take the coins already mentioned.
he/him

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2021, 10:11:00 am »

Should that be "$4 or more", or do you really mean for it to only apply to cards costing *exactly* $4?

Exactly $4

Just to confirm, Zombie Wolf is a single copy to be used with Necromancer and not a standard Kingdom card with 10 cards, correct?

Wolflover

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2021, 11:31:59 am »
+1

Exactly $4

Just to confirm, Zombie Wolf is a single copy to be used with Necromancer and not a standard Kingdom card with 10 cards, correct?

Correct, Single card for Necromancer and not a 10 card stack

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2021, 11:38:52 am »

Exactly $4

Correct, Single card for Necromancer and not a 10 card stack

Ok, cool. Thanks for confirming.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2021, 06:23:20 pm »
+2

Day of the Dead
Event - $4
Once per turn: If the previous turn wasn't yours, take an extra turn after this one. In that turn, cards are played face up from the trash instead of from your hand. Leave non-Duration cards there, and turn them face down for the turn. (Setup: Put the Zombies into the trash)

Rules clarifications:
* In your Day of the Dead turn, you still have a hand, you just can't play cards from it the way you usually do. What you usually do with your hand, you do with the face up cards in the Trash (e.g. play Actions in your action phase, play Treasures in your buy phase)
* If you play a card from the trash that instructs you to play a card from your hand (e.g. Throne Room), or a start of turn effect tells you to (e.g. Mastermind), you still play the card from your hand.
* If you play a Duration from the trash, it goes into your play area, and is essentially "yours" (it goes into your discard pile at the end of the turn it stops having effects), though it doesn't trigger when-gain effects
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:35:52 pm by NoMoreFun »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2021, 10:24:32 pm »
+1

This a fun challenge, but I'm finding it hard to come up with a good one.

One of the considerations for me is that adding another Zombie makes Necromancer stronger.  As such, I could have created a weak Zombie so that Necromancer isn't overpowered.  Instead, I'm proposing that as part of setup, players would shuffle the four Zombies and randomly select three to play with.

Quote from: Zombie Knight
$3 - Action - Attack - Zombie
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.
If a card is trashed by this, trash a Necromancer that you have in play.  If you can't, trash this.

So the trashing attack will usually force you to trash your Necromancer.  The exception would be if you are able to take Zombie Knight out of the trash and play it, in which case Zombie Knight will trash itself.

How about "Trash a Zombie or Necromancer you have in play"

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2021, 08:58:56 pm »

My entry for this week is a wacky one:

Voodoo Ritual - $4
Event

Once per turn: If the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one, and after this turn and the next, put your deck and hand into your discard pile, then swap your discard pile with the trash and draw 5 cards.
-
Setup: Put the 3 Zombies into the trash.

EDIT: Dropped price to $4, in line with Mission/Seize the Day

I missed this one. On the surface it's quite similar to mine but they play quite differently.

As I read it, the cards you gain during your Voodoo Ritual turn end up in the Trash, and cards you trash during it end up in your deck. So the goal is actually to get good cards in the Trash, then somehow trash them using the components of the Trash (e.g. with Zombies), to gain it.

Day of the Dead on the other hand works well when the Trash has a good capacity to gain cards. Voodoo Ritual could have this by adding  "where you (may) trash cards when you gain them".

I think Day of the Dead is less situational, but Voodoo Ritual is simpler and less prone to crazy games where it's an autobuy (e.g. if there are 8+ Coppers in the trash).

I might change my entry to something more original.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2021, 01:27:04 pm »

This a fun challenge, but I'm finding it hard to come up with a good one.

One of the considerations for me is that adding another Zombie makes Necromancer stronger.  As such, I could have created a weak Zombie so that Necromancer isn't overpowered.  Instead, I'm proposing that as part of setup, players would shuffle the four Zombies and randomly select three to play with.

Quote from: Zombie Knight
$3 - Action - Attack - Zombie
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.
If a card is trashed by this, trash a Necromancer that you have in play.  If you can't, trash this.

So the trashing attack will usually force you to trash your Necromancer.  The exception would be if you are able to take Zombie Knight out of the trash and play it, in which case Zombie Knight will trash itself.

How about "Trash a Zombie or Necromancer you have in play"

Thanks for the suggestion.  If you are able to get Zombie Knight out of the trash, you can probably get other Zombies out of the trash and trash those instead of Zombie Knight.  Nevertheless, I don't think that is a big issue, and I think having slightly less text may be desirable.

I've updated the OP with your suggested revision.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2021, 05:22:11 am »

It has been a week, but I have seen no 24 hour warning or similar. Is the judging coming soon?

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2021, 05:49:49 am »
+3

This is my participation:

Btw, how balance or elegance are considered durring the judging ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:41:41 am by Shael »
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2021, 06:39:23 am »

I think it need an other dividing line.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2021, 06:47:26 am »
+4

I don't think Debt cost is a good idea on this. This will be a required opening buy 95% of the time.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2021, 07:35:16 am »
+1

It has been a week, but I have seen no 24 hour warning or similar. Is the judging coming soon?

I was going to give 24 hour warning later today. Close date is 3/30/2021. If people want this to wrap up earlier I am fine with that.

Balance will be important and how the new Zombie effects it will be looked at. Elegance is a bit more difficult to objectively, but I will be taking it into account. In the end I will will be influenced by personal preference.

Edit: ok, I have been busy and missed it was already the 30th, my apologies. Consider this the 24 hour warning!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:57:06 am by Xen3k »

mathdude

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2021, 12:21:47 pm »
+1

I don't think Debt cost is a good idea on this. This will be a required opening buy 95% of the time.

I think Debt does seem like a good idea, as it allows it to be bought earlier than it otherwise would (since this is helpful earlier in the game, probably more than later).  $8 seems too high.  4 debt plus $4 cost is effectively no different than 8 debt.  What about $6?  Or $6 plus 2 debt?  Then it's not an immediate buy, but still is reachable early enough.

A completely different take on it - you could "... may trash a card from your hand costing at least $2 to..."
This seems more in line with the official cards, encouraging actually useful cards to go into the trash for future use.  It would still allow trashing your 3 estates, but it couldn't trash copper or curse for benefit anymore.  At this point, full debt cost would probably be okay (and/or possibly a cheaper cost).
he/him

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2021, 05:28:55 pm »
+2

Entries
This is just for organizational purposes and to ensure I do not miss an entry. I will be editing this as I collect the entries. If you do not see yours here please let me know.

Zombie Horde by emtzalex

Zombie Captain by mathdude

Throne of the Dead by X-tra

Zombie Apocalypse by mxdata

Zombie Summoner by Mahowrath

Zombie Goat by majiponi

Voodoo Ritual by faust

Zombie Merchant by pubby

Pet Sematary by gambit05

Zombie Witch by Lackar

Zombie Knight by Timinou

Wilt by spineflu

Zombie Welcoming Committee by Chappy7

Zombie Village by silverspawn

Zombie Mechanic by grep

Zombie Wolf by Wolflover

Zombie Infiltrator by LibraryAdventurer

Undead Throne & Zombie Workshop by fika monster

Zombie Forager by mandioca15

Day of the Dead by NoMoreFun

Necromancy by Shael
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:15:52 pm by Xen3k »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2021, 05:51:58 am »
+1

I think Debt does seem like a good idea, as it allows it to be bought earlier than it otherwise would (since this is helpful earlier in the game, probably more than later).  $8 seems too high.  4 debt plus $4 cost is effectively no different than 8 debt.  What about $6?  Or $6 plus 2 debt?  Then it's not an immediate buy, but still is reachable early enough.
[...]

I would actually try it at $8 (or maybe $6+6 debt). Necromancy is extremely strong, and with a pure debt cost you would practically always buy it on turn 1, which is not so interesting. AFAICS it's usually at least as good as a Princed cantrip trasher, or as good as Cathedral, Barracks and a Hireling combined (as you can trash a card from your hand each turn and then play Zombie Spy for +1 Action+1 card).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.