Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #109: Raise the dead.  (Read 15610 times)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #109: Raise the dead.
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:36:34 pm »
+10

Objective: Design a new Zombie to be used with Necromancer, a new card-shaped thing that puts the Zombies in the trash and uses them in a meaningful way, or both.

Rules and Restrictions: There are no limitations on using custom card types and mechanics. Additional components like tokens, Heirlooms, non-supply cards, and such are allowed, but complexity will be taken into account. If you choose to to design both a Zombie and a card-shaped thing to interact with them, they will be judged together. If your design is intended for specific environments, like a 2-3 player game, and that is relevant, just be sure to mention it along with your entry.

References: For reference purposes only, this is Necromancer and the Zombies that currently exist.

Close Date: 3/30/2021 5:00 PM CST (but if you need to sneak it in later that day you probably can)

General: I'll try and be prompt on getting the results out to you, but as this falls within the week I cannot guarantee when as life can get busy. If you update your entry please try and do so on the original post and indicate that it has been updated. If there is an issue with your entry I will try and notify you as soon as possible. I will catalogue all the entries before the end date to make sure I did not miss any.

Hope you enjoy the contest!

Addendum
Considering that Necromancer says "put the 3 Zombies into the trash", I do wonder how new Zombies would work.  Would you pick three to put in the trash, or just put all four (or however many) into the trash?

Good question. I am going to judge all entries assuming all Zombies (the 3 original and any designed for their entry) are added to the trash by Necromancer unless otherwise specified in an entry. Additionally, you are free to design more than one Zombie, but the original 3 will have to be included in the design concept. Feel free to specify alternate methods of choosing what Zombies will be added to the trash if you want, just take into account the original Zombies.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:22:38 pm by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #109: Raise the dead.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 07:20:40 pm »
+9

Quote from: Zombie Horde
ZOMBIE HORDE -- $3
ACTION - ZOMBIE
Trash an Action card from the Supply.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:17:54 pm »
+1

Objective: Design a new Zombie to be used with Necromancer, a new card-shaped thing that puts the Zombies in the trash and uses them in a meaningful way, or both.

Rules and Restrictions: There are no limitations on using custom card types and mechanics. Additional components like tokens, Heirlooms, non-supply cards, and such are allowed, but complexity will be taken into account. If you choose to to design both a Zombie and a card-shaped thing to interact with them, they will be judged together. If your design is intended for specific environments, like a 2-3 player game, and that is relevant, just be sure to mention it along with your entry.

References: For reference purposes only, this is Necromancer and the Zombies that currently exist.

Close Date: 3/30/2021 5:00 PM CST (but if you need to sneak it in later that day you probably can)

General: I'll try and be prompt on getting the results out to you, but as this falls within the week I cannot guarantee when as life can get busy. If you update your entry please try and do so on the original post and indicate that it has been updated. If there is an issue with your entry I will try and notify you as soon as possible. I will catalogue all the entries before the end date to make sure I did not miss any.

Hope you enjoy the contest!

Considering that Necromancer says "put the 3 Zombies into the trash", I do wonder how new Zombies would work.  Would you pick three to put in the trash, or just put all four (or however many) into the trash?

This looks like a fun challenge!  I'll have to think about what to submit!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 09:26:14 pm »
+1

ZOMBIE HORDE -- $3
ACTION - ZOMBIE

Not Zombie Lurker?
They/them

mathdude

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:26:42 pm »
+5

I suspect you would modify Necromancer to put (all) the Zombies in the trash, particularly if we would only add 1 to the total (i.e. the winner).  Though you could make a whole Zombie deck, from which you would just pick 3 (likely random... but whatever) for a given game.

I've had a few ideas already.  This is where I'm sitting right now, though I may change it later:

Is 2 horses sufficient to be on par with other Zombies?  Or should I be gaining 3?

Edit - updating submission to:

Edit - updating again:

Zombie Captain
Action - $5
Set aside a face-up, non-duration, Action card from the trash under this and play it, leaving it there.  At the start of your next turn, return it to the trash and play it, leaving it there
-
Setup: Put the Zombies into the trash
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:38:44 pm by mathdude »
he/him

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 09:46:10 pm »

I suspect you would modify Necromancer to put (all) the Zombies in the trash, particularly if we would only add 1 to the total (i.e. the winner).  Though you could make a whole Zombie deck, from which you would just pick 3 (likely random... but whatever) for a given game.

I've had a few ideas already.  This is where I'm sitting right now, though I may change it later:

Is 2 horses sufficient to be on par with other Zombies?  Or should I be gaining 3?

I'd say gaining 2 Horses is sufficient.  It's comparable to playing a Cavalry or Sleigh from the trash, except you also get to top-deck those Horses, so it feels fairly strong as it is
They/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 10:29:54 pm »
+7

ZOMBIE HORDE -- $3
ACTION - ZOMBIE

I'm hesitating to even submit an entry this week. This is a very good submission. I'll have to think outside of the box now.  :D

Edit: Didn't take too long, lol. Here's my entry:

Fun challenge!

Edit 2: Funny how all cards submitted so far have no more than 2 lines of text, hahaha! Short and to the point; elegant. I love that. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:45:56 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 10:46:56 pm »
+2

EDIT: this is withdrawn.

Zombie Ironworker • $3 • Action - Zombie
Discard until you have 3 cards in hand, then trash your hand.
For each card you trash, if it's...
a Treasure, +$1
an Action, +1 Action
a Victory or Curse, +1 Card

it was going to be named Zombie Count, but i figured the "iron-*" association was more important? idk. "Zombie Iron Count" doesn't sound quite right. Good in the early game, i guess. Less so later, becoming more Minionesque.

EDIT:
Edit 2: Funny how all cards submitted so far have no more than 2 lines of text, hahaha! Short and to the point; elegant. I love that. :)
well, i guess not anymore, lol
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:35:21 am by spineflu »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 11:01:12 pm »
+1

ZOMBIE HORDE -- $3
ACTION - ZOMBIE

I'm hesitating to even submit an entry this week. This is a very good submission. I'll have to think outside of the box now.  :D

Fun challenge!

Ack!  I had almost the same idea (I used the name Zombie Banker)!  :-(  Well, back to the drawing board!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 11:04:20 pm »

ZOMBIE HORDE -- $3
ACTION - ZOMBIE

Fun challenge!

Ack!  I had almost the same idea (I used the name Zombie Banker)!  :-(  Well, back to the drawing board!

Also, with certain Treasures, this would be really fun.  You could use Scepter to replay two Actions, or one Action twice.  Since 0 is an even number, Idol would give each other player two curses, assuming you hadn't played any previously with something like Storyteller or Black Market (since it counts Idols in play).  A trashed Capital would be $12 +2 Buys and no debt!
They/them

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 11:16:48 pm »
+1

Also, with certain Treasures, this would be really fun.  You could use Scepter to replay two Actions, or one Action twice.  Since 0 is an even number, Idol would give each other player two curses, assuming you hadn't played any previously with something like Storyteller or Black Market (since it counts Idols in play).  A trashed Capital would be $12 +2 Buys and no debt!

I'm sorry I beat you to the punch with this idea. Should this win, consider it a shared victory!  ;D

Also, this is what I like about Necromancer: you can only do these shenanigans once per turn, since Throne of the Dead will be flipped over. Zombies really benefit from that rule, it's fun designing cards for it!
Bottom text

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 11:19:16 pm »

I'm sorry I beat you to the punch with this idea. Should this win, consider it a shared victory!  ;D

Also, this is what I like about Necromancer: you can only do these shenanigans once per turn, since Throne of the Dead will be flipped over. Zombies really benefit from that rule, it's fun designing cards for it!

Yeah, the restriction to one play per turn keeps it from being overpowered, while still being quite strong in the right kingdom
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 11:26:22 pm »
+1

Yeah, the restriction to one play per turn keeps it from being overpowered, while still being quite strong in the right kingdom

(On the other hand, certain Treasures wouldn't be very useful at all with this card - Quarry would just be a Copper, and most of the time Bank would produce $0 since it can't even count itself!)

I wonder how it would interact with Capitalism.  If you use it to play, for example, a Grand Market, then, since the GM itself wasn't played by the Necromancer, I would think it wouldn't be flipped over, which means it would still be available for another Necromancer to play directly!
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 01:27:26 am »
+3

This is an attack that uses a double-sided State.  Because it uses a State, it does not stack.  The attack gives no immediate advantage to the person who plays it, which seems fair to me since it's potentially a very strong attack.  If you do not have either state, then you take Bitten.  At the start of your turn, you can trash a card costing $4 or more from your hand to get rid of Bitten, otherwise, the bite progresses to Infected.  When you're Infected, you take on debt the next time you buy a card.  Note, however, that since it scales with what you're buying, you can simply buy a Copper to avoid taking on debt, especially if you have extra buys, so that you can use the other buys on cards you actually want.  On the other hand, if your first buy after being Infected is, say, a Colony, then you're stuck with 5D!

Cost reduction interacts with this in interesting ways.  Canal and a Bridge Troll in play make Bitten more expensive to deal with, but cost reduction also reduces the amount of debt you take on if you progress to Infected.  Also, if you don't buy anything at all, you remain Infected, and your opponent can't hurt you with Zombie Apocalypse.  Note that the $4 cost means that a fortress in hand (assuming no Canal or Bridge Troll) effectively makes you immune to this attack.  Also, this could sometimes even help you with some on-trash effects.  But, most of the time it would be a fairly strong attack

EDIT: Changed the states to make them less oppressive, so now you can trash a Silver to get rid of Bitten, and even a Colony or Platinum only gives you 3 debt, with 2 debt being the maximum in a kingdom without Colony/Platinum

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 09:53:39 pm by mxdata »
They/them

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 03:52:26 am »
+1

I feel like 2 is already a bit much, considering how powerful Necromancer gets when you put those Horses in the trash.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 10:10:11 am »
+8

Zombie Summoner - $3
Action - Zombie

+$1
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then if it's face up, gain an Imp.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 11:02:50 am »
+6

Zombie Goat
cost $3 - Action - Zombie
After drawing your next hand, trash a card from your hand.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 12:21:15 pm »
+1

Good question. I am going to judge all entries assuming all Zombies (the 3 original and any designed for their entry) are added to the trash by Necromancer unless otherwise specified in an entry. Additionally, you are free to design more than one Zombie, but the original 3 will have to be included in the design concept. Feel free to specify alternate methods of choosing what Zombies will be added to the trash if you want, just take into account the original Zombies.

I will update the original post with this information.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 12:44:47 pm »
+3

My entry for this week is a wacky one:

Voodoo Ritual - $4
Event

Once per turn: If the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one, and after this turn and the next, put your deck and hand into your discard pile, then swap your discard pile with the trash and draw 5 cards.
-
Setup: Put the 3 Zombies into the trash.

EDIT: Dropped price to $4, in line with Mission/Seize the Day
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 03:55:30 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 01:05:21 pm »
+8

edit: changed the +Buy to +Action, which seemed to play better.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:26:24 pm by pubby »

mutated

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 01:58:29 pm »

Zombie Goat
cost $3 - Action - Zombie
After drawing your next hand, trash a card from your hand.

I like it!  It could be risky, but less risky than Zombie Mason, since you usually have five cards to choose from to trash, rather than just the top card.  On the other hand, there's no gaining, so it should balance out.  And you could sometimes even ensure that you have a card you want to trash.  Like, if Haunted Woods were in effect and you had a Curse in your hand, then you're guaranteeing that the Curse will be available for trashing
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 02:18:29 pm by mxdata »
They/them

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 04:57:42 pm »
+5

My Submission:

Update:

Pet Sematary
$3 – Action – Zombie

+$1

You may play an Action
 card from your hand. If
     it has a copy in the trash,     
+1 Card and +1 Action.

Thanks to silverspawn for the comments!

Original Submission:

Pet Sematary
$3 – Action – Zombie

You may play an Action
 card from your hand. If
     it has a copy in the trash,     
+1 Card and +1 Action.

Sometimes dead is better.” - Stephen King

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:00:17 am by gambit05 »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 05:19:18 pm »
+2

That seems weak compared to the other Zombies. The floor is a Ruined Library, the ceiling is a Village, and the Ceiling is pretty hard to get. I'd make it +2 Cards instead, so that the ceiling is a lab.

Lackar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 05:54:51 pm »
+5

Followed this contest for a while. Love the option everyone has come up with. Not sure I have the smarts like you all do for coming up with cards and welcome feedback, but will give this a try
Zombie Witch
Cost $5, Action - Zombie
+2 cards
+1 action
Each other player reveals their hand and exiles a curse from their hand, If they can't then they gain a curse.

A combination between Coven and Old Witch
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:57:33 am by Lackar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.