Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Secret Breakthrough  (Read 1008 times)

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
Secret Breakthrough
« on: March 18, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »
+1

The idea behind this card is that you have a secret card that no one will know about until you use it. Also note that randomizer cards have different backs so other players will be able to tell when you have a card from Secret Breakthrough in your hand, even if they won't be able to tell what it is.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Breakthrough
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 04:56:52 pm »
+2

I reveal a Duchess and you reveal a Prince, yay.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:14:34 pm »

That's fair. It is a bit too swingy.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 06:05:02 pm »

It’s probably overpriced too, since the average card cost is below $5.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 06:33:01 pm »

I think the problems mentioned can be easily avoided by adding only certain cards to the Secret pile, e.g. only $5 cost cards, or cards costing at least $5. Or the same for $4 cost cards and Secret Breakthrough costs less. One could also include a gambling factor, e.g. 1/3 $3, 1/3 $4, 1/3 $5 cost cards with Secret Breakthrough at $4.

I've done similar cards (not Events), but with custom cards in the pile. The fun starts when you add some real surprise cards to the pile, like hot potatoes changing owners after play and giving -VP or +VP; or Pasture-type cards that can influence strategies a bit. It's fun, at least for players who don't take the game too serious.

Edit: I think you don't need "You need not show...".
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:38:18 pm by gambit05 »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 02:53:58 am »

I think customizing the pile would be an improvement (e.g. include only Attacks/Reactions or other interactive cards like Masquerade).  Otherwise, I don't think there would be much benefit in keeping the gained card secret, since the majority of cards in the game probably won't have an impact on how your opponents play.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 10:18:10 am »
+1

In general, keeping it secret doesn't impact the card at all; because it's only secret until the first time you draw it. And as Timinou said, your opponent isn't going to do something different based on them knowing what you got or not. Even if it was an attack or Masquerade; there's generally not a lot they your opponent can do to respond/change. I suppose if you got a Possession then they could choose to not buy a Masquerade or Ambassador.

VP cards are where the secrecy matters, though. If you picked up a VP card; then your opponent won't know until the end of the game. I think that adds a neat element of uncertainty where your opponent can't track if they're winning or not.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.