Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Cool Dudes  (Read 2239 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Dominion: Cool Dudes
« on: March 15, 2021, 10:46:24 pm »
+7

Cool Dudes

Various cards focusing on two mechanics: Villagers and Exile, with a handful of interactions between them.

Magic Study was inspired by fika monster's Picnic card. I'm sure other cards resemble other fan cards, whether intentional or not.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Dominion: Cool Dudes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 07:20:22 am »

1: love the expansion icon
2: when using treadmill crane in a game with existing overpay cards, do the overpays overlap, or are they independent? like if i bought doctor, overpaid by $2, do i exile doctor and perform its effect?

dirkdebeule

• Spy
  • Why Not?
  • Respect: +50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 08:10:05 am »

In two player game one uses 8 victory cards instead of 12. How do you handle Dolmen in this situation?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:11:27 am by dirkdebeule »
The Witch likes walking from her Throne Room to her Workshop in the Garden 😁

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 11:27:45 am »
+1

In two player game one uses 8 victory cards instead of 12. How do you handle Dolmen in this situation?
It is no problem i think. You print 10 Dolmen. I think a game with more than three bought Dolmen will be rare. ;)

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 01:58:03 pm »
+2

It's under every Supply pile, so its 17 for a "standard" game and scales up to... 22? 22 i think if it's colonies/plats, young witch (for the bane pile), a Looter, and a potion-cost card.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 04:45:37 am »

It's under every Supply pile, so its 17 for a "standard" game and scales up to... 22? 22 i think if it's colonies/plats, young witch (for the bane pile), a Looter, and a potion-cost card.
So you want to end a game with 22 empty piles???
As a normal game ends with 3, 4 maybe 5 piles, you only need 5. So you can start the game with a dolmem pile outside. If any pile is empty you put a dolmen on that place and can buy it if you want later to empty it completely.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:46:45 am by herw »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 09:32:02 am »
+1

As a normal game ends with 3, 4 maybe 5 piles, you only need 5. So you can start the game with a dolmem pile outside. If any pile is empty you put a dolmen on that place and can buy it if you want later to empty it completely.

i mean, you could do that, or you could follow the instructions on the card

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 11:42:08 am »

It sounds like you might be missing something. This card doesn't change anything about how many empty piles are needed to end the game; rather it just adds 1 additional card to each pile (so normal Kingdom piles now have 11 cards in them instead of 10). So after 10 Villages are bought/gained; a Dolmen becomes available to buy/gain, and when that Dolmen is bought/gained, you now have 1 empty supply pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 11:57:15 am »
+1

It sounds like you might be missing something. This card doesn't change anything about how many empty piles are needed to end the game; rather it just adds 1 additional card to each pile (so normal Kingdom piles now have 11 cards in them instead of 10). So after 10 Villages are bought/gained; a Dolmen becomes available to buy/gain, and when that Dolmen is bought/gained, you now have 1 empty supply pile.

No, I think they understand it correctly. They talk about the practical point of view in real life games. If you strictly follow the instructions you need lots of Dolmen, whereas in reality you would need only a very few.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10736
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:30:15 pm »
+1

No, I think they understand it correctly. They talk about the practical point of view in real life games. If you strictly follow the instructions you need lots of Dolmen, whereas in reality you would need only a very few.

I see, yeah I misread it.

It's also a bit unclear how you go about choosing Dolmen for a game. It it intended to still count towards the 10 Kingdom cards you choose for the game, such that games using it have only 9 Kingdom piles (or 10 if one of them is Young Witch)?

Can a Dolmen go in the Black Market deck? I would think so, because all the cards in the Black Market deck are already not in the supply anyway; so it would just act normally there. But, if you do have a Dolmen in the Black Market deck, you would still follow the setup instructions, so you would also have a Dolmen under each pile in addition to a Dolmen in the Black Market itself.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 04:27:06 pm »

I see, yeah I misread it.

It's also a bit unclear how you go about choosing Dolmen for a game. It it intended to still count towards the 10 Kingdom cards you choose for the game, such that games using it have only 9 Kingdom piles (or 10 if one of them is Young Witch)?

Can a Dolmen go in the Black Market deck? I would think so, because all the cards in the Black Market deck are already not in the supply anyway; so it would just act normally there. But, if you do have a Dolmen in the Black Market deck, you would still follow the setup instructions, so you would also have a Dolmen under each pile in addition to a Dolmen in the Black Market itself.

Dolmen is supposed to be a non-Supply card (mostly). So, in my understanding it shouldn't be included in the Black Market deck and there should be still 10 regular Kingdom piles. But how does Dolmen enter the game? I think the easiest solution is to associate it to an Event (or maybe a Kingdom card) that says something like "Put a Dolmen to the bottom of a Supply pile that doesn't have another copy of it". This would enable some tactics: On one hand, it makes it more difficult for the opponent(s) to empty a pile when they want to end the game or want to activate cards like City; on the other hand, the player may score some extra VP when they are able to also gain that Dolmen.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 01:45:31 am »
+1

Panner is a no go! You buy a copper and get an alchemist or a grand market or, or, ... ? ? ?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:49:02 am by herw »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 01:57:54 am »
+1

Panner is a no go! You buy a copper and get an alchemist or a grand market or, or, ... ? ? ?

I agree that this has the potential to be broken when there are expensive Actions in the Kingdom.
But if you compare it with Haggler it is not that impressive. Haggler usually nets you a Province or whatever, a Gold and a $5 or a $5 and a $4.
This initially usually nets you a Silver and a $5 Action; it takes time to get to Gold. And then your deck is flooded with stop cards you don't really want.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.