Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Money Bags  (Read 3243 times)

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
Money Bags
« on: March 15, 2021, 03:28:27 am »
+6

Money Bags is a new mechanic to any Dominion expansion, which doesn’t need any new markers or mats, but provide the opportunity, to get additional instructions or bonuses.
So as needed a card gets stronger by money bags [MB]. It is important that this new mechanic is very simple. It uses no special cards and it based on basic cards Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Potion.
We have tested (with real cards) over weeks with players of basic knowledges and several expansions. Everyone understand the new mechanic instantly.
I discussed all cards in forum.Dominion-Welt. All cards are well balanced.

A money bag [MB] is exclusively filled with Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum or Potion as a temporary fee for additional instructions on a card.

You give [MB] only as an option, according to this the instructions are executed only by a fee. You put the corresponding treasures from your hand under the card as a mark until the end of your turn. The treasures are not in play. At the end of your turn or when you change the place of the corresponding card (to trash or any mat or to a pile) you discard the cards of the money bag.
If the card is a duration card the money bag stays there until the duration card is discarded.

a simple example:
The instruction „You may give [1 MB] for +[1 VP].” …

… gives a victory marker by filling the money bag. You can only fill the money bag with Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Potion from your hand. It is more difficult to fill it because you cannot use other treasure cards or any treasure from vanilla cards. In this case you need two coppers or a silver to get the victory marker. If you have only gold you can use it but the rest (of gold) is gone. It is not allowed to split it for other money bags.

If you only want to get +1 Card or +1 Action, you give a Copper, for both you have to give two Coppers. It is not possible to give a silver instead. Do you have only a Copper and a Silver in hand, then is the worst case to give both for both vanilla. Perhaps you are lucky and you draw a copper first. So you can use it.
You have to use treasure cards!
[2 MB] can be filled by two Coppers or Silver (or Gold), [x MB] like in reconstruction by several cards.

These are my cards. You can play with any Dominion cards.
Have fun.
herw

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:17:15 am by herw »

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Re: Money Bags
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 05:35:43 am »
+3

Nice idea, well done!

It reminds me a bit of some of my cards that deal with Debt, e.g. Connoisseur, Ransom, Feldsher (though in the mean time they look a bit different) or Gallery and some other cards I haven't shown (yet). An important difference is that with your [MB] cards, players need Treasures in their deck, which forces them to follow a different strategy, if they want to use [MB] cards. That can be a good thing or not, but for sure it makes them different.

Now a few notes to your cards:

First of all, if they altogether represent an Expansion, there are lot's of $2 cost cards in this set. If not mixed with cards from other sets (or only 50:50 with one other expansion), this would produce very often Kingdoms with a lot of low cost cards and not much to buy for $4 or $5.

Castle Wall
Isn't there a problem with the reveal for Copper? Couldn't you repeatedly reveal the same copy until the Copper pile is empty?

Secret Laboratory
I think you don't need "immediately" (see Scavenger)

Pirate's Treasure
Is there a reason that you exclude higher cost Treasure cards like Platinum and Bank? I would include them, i.e.:
"...costing $3 or more...".

Troll
I think the wording is correct, but I was first a bit confused about the timing. At least for me it would be clearer when the two events (this turn [MB], next turn +2 cards) are separated by "If you do..."

Counter Castle
Not sure whether it is too easy for a $2 cost card to activate it via [MB] when you can gain a Copper into hand beforehand.

Ferryman
This looks a bit too strong. You can easily get remove your initial Estates and later Provinces with a cheap card and just by "spending" 1 or 2 Coppers.

Pilgrim Route
Some wording: "Replay a non-Duration Action card."
The 1 [MB] for +1 Action looks quite strong.

Atoll
This seems to be strictly better than Island. It has the same cost with the same abilities, plus something.

Jungle Witch
This looks like a hybrid of terminal Junk Dealer, Ill-Gotten Gains and VP added to it. I personally would either remove the trashing or the VP, just to make it simpler (likely with a different cost).

Market Town
Wording: "If you do, +1 Buy and cards cost $1 less this turn".

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 06:09:42 am »

[...]
First of all, if they altogether represent an Expansion, there are lot's of $2 cost cards in this set. If not mixed with cards from other sets (or only 50:50 with one other expansion), this would produce very often Kingdoms with a lot of low cost cards and not much to buy for $4 or $5.
[...]
a quick and short answer. Thanks for suggestions of wording. Will change and quote later.
I have tested money bags with many expansions (i own all originals and many, many fancards). It works well with many money bag cards (5-6)) and with only one card.

The effect to have the opportunity of a money bag is that you buy a cheap card but if you want to extend it, you have always to pay. That's very nice for balancing a card: i looked for an action card of the basic game, add an instruction, lower the costs and calculate: how much is the added instruction worth.
The strategy is not only an Extended BigMoney but much more too. My impression is, that the full effect of a card (means often used money bags) needs enough basic treasure in your deck. You have to calculate on every turn: is your deck worth to give a [MB] and lower your buying option.

My answer is yes. Remember you want to reduce your deck too. So if you exil or trash your coppers you have to use Silver or eventually Gold (!) for only [1 MB]. You often need the money copper!
If you want to test, then try only two or three  simple cards like counter castel, troll or village smith. The good thing is, every one can test these cards without printing (use blank cards and write the name on it).

I guarantee it's much fun.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:21:30 am by herw »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 10:01:19 am »
+1

Before i answer a general remark. When you use [MB]s you loose treasure cards for the buy. So what is more important? It is not a general plus but plus and minus.
[...]
[...]
Castle Wall
Isn't there a problem with the reveal for Copper? Couldn't you repeatedly reveal the same copy until the Copper pile is empty?
I don't think so. Noone would like to get more than one copper. The sense is that you can play at your turn Castle Wall with the third option. If there is another attack, you have to decide what is better.
Secret Laboratory
I think you don't need "immediately" (see Scavenger)
i looked to Chancellor.
Pirate's Treasure
Is there a reason that you exclude higher cost Treasure cards like Platinum and Bank? I would include them, i.e.:
"...costing $3 or more...".
yes, the very low costs of Pirate's Treasure
Troll
I think the wording is correct, but I was first a bit confused about the timing. At least for me it would be clearer when the two events (this turn [MB], next turn +2 cards) are separated by "If you do..."
yes, better in English. Change in starter post.
Counter Castle
Not sure whether it is too easy for a $2 cost card to activate it via [MB] when you can gain a Copper into hand beforehand.
Remember: when you get a copper it lowers your deck. So i think it's fair (remork at the top).
Ferryman
This looks a bit too strong. You can easily get remove your initial Estates and later Provinces with a cheap card and just by "spending" 1 or 2 Coppers.
I think a chapell is strong too at the start of your game. Ferryman is usefull the whole game but you have to give always [1 MB]. Maybe there is not always a copper?
Pilgrim Route
Some wording: "Replay a non-Duration Action card."
The 1 [MB] for +1 Action looks quite strong.
yes, you are right; better than Throne Room. Should cost 4$ (or 5$)?
Atoll
This seems to be strictly better than Island. It has the same cost with the same abilities, plus something.
see my remark at the top.
Jungle Witch
This looks like a hybrid of terminal Junk Dealer, Ill-Gotten Gains and VP added to it. I personally would either remove the trashing or the VP, just to make it simpler (likely with a different cost).
I like the trashing very much. I think it is ok for this costs.
Market Town
Wording: "If you do, +1 Buy and cards cost $1 less this turn".
much better - changed in starter post.

many thanks for your help and ideas.  ;D
Hope you will try some cards.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:31:40 pm by herw »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:52:11 pm »

Before i answer a general remark. When you use [MB]s you loose treasure cards for the buy. So what is more important? It is not a general plus but plus and minus.
[...]
[...]
Castle Wall
I don't think so. Noone would like to get more than one copper. The sense is that you can play at your turn Castle Wall with the third option. If there is another attack, you have to decide what is better.

Well, that was a rhetorical question. The answer is yes, it would be a problem. The simple reason is that opponents of the reacting player do not know whether the same copy of Castle was revealed or a different one.
There are a lot of reasons why a player may reveal their single Castle Wall more than once (not necessarily until the Copper pile is empty): 1) Ending the game via 3-piling. 2) Gardens/Philosopher Stone games. 3) The Landmark Fountain. 4) Counting House. 5) to get enough $ for a critical buy when it's their turn, e.g. buying the last Province. 6) Having an [MB] card in hand that benefits from that Copper. I am sure there are more possibilities.

Quote from: gambit05
Counter Castle
Remember: when you get a copper it lowers your deck. So i think it's fair (remork at the top).

I am well aware of the detrimental effects of Coppers. I've played a few games myself. It just doesn't look elegant, and rather like a no-brainer, i.e. you will always have the opportunity to activate Counter Castle, either you already have the Copper in hand, or if not, you just gain it if needed. By the way, I have played 2 games (solo games where I played for 3 players) with Counter Castle and Troll. They both seem to work and are funny and exciting. I still think the instructions of Counter Castle could be more elegant.

Ferryman
I think a chapell is strong too at the start of your game. Ferryman is usefull the whole game but you have to give always [1 MB]. Maybe there is not always a copper?

The difference to Chapel or Steward is that you save the VP for scoring. With Ferryman you could easily "spend" 2 Coppers for 2 Estates in round 3 or 4.

Atoll
Quote from: herw

Plus versus minus, Atoll is still strictly better. You have all the functions of Island for the same cost plus an additional option. The player doesn't have to go for it, but they can! It is their decision whether giving 2 [MB] is an advantage or not. You can't do that with Island.

many thanks for your help and ideas.  ;D
Hope you will try some cards.

You're welcome!

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 03:17:54 pm »

Atoll

Plus versus minus, Atoll is still strictly better. You have all the functions of Island for the same cost plus an additional option. The player doesn't have to go for it, but they can! It is their decision whether giving 2 [MB] is an advantage or not. You can't do that with Island.

Yep, same reason Mining Village is strictly better than Village. You could literally just always play Atoll identically to Island. And you have another option that you'd only take if it was worth the price anyway, which makes Atoll strictly better than Island.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 05:21:26 pm »

I can see the simple appeal to this mechanic and why you've already printed them. Definitely taking debt could let these cards be more flexible, or even saying 'discard Treasures' instead, but this has its charm.

Castle Wall may seem awkward alongside Moat, 2 Cards is probably on average better than what 2 Ruins will produce. The randomness is fun in a way, but strategically you can't depend on it filling a niche like you can with Moat being draw. When there are no attacks, you don't want to use this (it's a fan card of course, you can simply not use it without an Attack).
For the infinite Coppers issue, you could say 'you may reveal this... The first time you do,...'

Secret Laboratory will cause a lot of shuffling, so it can lengthen play time in an uninteresting way. I'll be surprised if it isn't on the weak side; if you need its + Action, Cellar or Warehouse could do almost the same thing but without losing economy from the deck.

Pirate's Treasure looks good, pay a Copper to play a better Treasure in the deck. It's one of the best uses of the MB mechanic here to me.

Abbot can really create endless games with players running their decks through to get multiple VPs and not bringing the game towards its end. Monument gives $, whereas this takes it away. Perhaps trigger the MB on the next gain during the turn? That should keep the decision whether to pay or not just the same.

Pilgrim Route needs to be unable to replay itself, otherwise it enables infinite triggering of Adventures tokens on it.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 01:44:06 am »

Castle Wall should be more different to Moat. Changed the wording in reaction. Thanks to Aquila.
I give +1 Card. Maybe it should cost 4$ now?
I don't like the long Text. Perhaps i should reduce the reaction text like Moat or forget it completely: means no Reaction part, only as Action card.

Pilgrim's Route
Please help me for better wording. Changed the costs from $3 to $5.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:42:22 am by herw »

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:57:35 am »
+1

Castle Wall
- Reaction version
You should add “first”, i.e. “…you may first reveal this…” then you can simplify the wording (see Moat): “… from your hand, to be unaffected by it”.
It is not clear what “the first time” means. Anyway, there is another problem with the new wording. Here is an example to illustrate the problem: A player has 3 Castle Walls in hand; they want to block the Attack and thus have to reveal at least one of them. However, they want to gain exactly 2 Coppers for some later benefit (yes, gaining Coppers can be beneficial) and thus want to react with 2 of the 3 copies of Castle Wall they have in hand. This should be possible, as this is the usual way with all official Reaction cards (that react from hand), but how can this be worded? I have some ideas, but it would get way too wordy and the text is already 9 lines long.

- Action version
I prefer this version because it is simpler. Have you considered making this a cantrip and playing 1 Ruins only, with the option to play a second Ruins (or replay the first) for [MB]?

Pilgrim’s Route
Vampire uses “other than” to exclude (copies of) itself. Scepter says “…or replay an Action card you played this turn that’s still in play.”. Scepter simply avoids the self playing issue by being a Treasure.
I have an Action card that uses a replay mechanic like Scepter and Pilgrim’s Route do. For now I use the wording: “Replay a non-Duration Action card you have in play that’s not a Pilgrim’s Route.”.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 08:08:08 am »

Pilgrim's Route is weaker than TR yet costs more.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 12:40:32 pm »

I disagree. First, there's the MB option to trade a coin for a Action, which you get to decide on after the effect has resolved for a second time (allowing you, for example, to replay a Smithy instead of a Village, knowing you won't draw Actions dead). More importantly, Pilgrim's Route can replay the card that drew it. I certainly have had the frustrating experience of playing a cantrip as the last Action card in my hand and drawing a TR or KC. The fact that this avoids that is non-nominal improvement.

(Whether it justifies going $4 to $5 is a different question, but I don't think you could price this the same as TR).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:42:24 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 01:08:59 pm »

I disagree. First, there's the MB option to trade a coin for a Action, which you get to decide on after the effect has resolved for a second time (allowing you, for example, to replay a Smithy instead of a Village, knowing you won't draw Actions dead). More importantly, Pilgrim's Route can replay the card that drew it. I certainly have had the frustrating experience of playing a cantrip as the last Action card in my hand and drawing a TR or KC. The fact that this avoids that is non-nominal improvement.

(Whether it justifies going $4 to $5 is a different question, but I don't think you could price this the same as TR).

The more important comparison is Royal Carriage. Pilgrim's Route is almost strictly worse than Royal Carriage.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 01:19:11 am »

Castle Wall
- Reaction version
You should add “first”, i.e. “…you may first reveal this…” then you can simplify the wording (see Moat): “… from your hand, to be unaffected by it”.
It is not clear what “the first time” means. Anyway, there is another problem with the new wording. Here is an example to illustrate the problem: A player has 3 Castle Walls in hand; they want to block the Attack and thus have to reveal at least one of them. However, they want to gain exactly 2 Coppers for some later benefit (yes, gaining Coppers can be beneficial) and thus want to react with 2 of the 3 copies of Castle Wall they have in hand. This should be possible, as this is the usual way with all official Reaction cards (that react from hand), but how can this be worded? I have some ideas, but it would get way too wordy and the text is already 9 lines long.

- Action version
I prefer this version because it is simpler. Have you considered making this a cantrip and playing 1 Ruins only, with the option to play a second Ruins (or replay the first) for [MB]?

[...]

I have discussed in German Forum because of endless playing and getting all coppers. I think this is a solution:

Pilgrim’s Route
Vampire uses “other than” to exclude (copies of) itself. Scepter says “…or replay an Action card you played this turn that’s still in play.”. Scepter simply avoids the self playing issue by being a Treasure.
I have an Action card that uses a replay mechanic like Scepter and Pilgrim’s Route do. For now I use the wording: “Replay a non-Duration Action card you have in play that’s not a Pilgrim’s Route.”.

many thanks  :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:35:32 am by herw »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 02:16:35 am »

TR has an implicit +1 Action (in many Kingdoms TR is the main or only splitter). Pilgrim's Route only does if you play a Treasure.
The increase of control you mention is nice but does hardly compensate for the price increase and weaker effect. Not to mention that you cannot pull off TR+TR+... stuff.

So the card is a $3.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 02:44:06 am »

Pilgrim's Route

TR has an implicit +1 Action (in many Kingdoms TR is the main or only splitter). Pilgrim's Route only does if you play a Treasure.
The increase of control you mention is nice but does hardly compensate for the price increase and weaker effect. Not to mention that you cannot pull off TR+TR+... stuff.

So the card is a $3.
i am wavering. Backward playing is a powerful feature.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:47:36 am by herw »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 06:13:07 am »
+1

I like this mechanic a lot, but I'd still appreciate it if it also works with Kingdom treasures. You see, Treasures always have a vanilla part that is displayed at the top of the card. Why not use that to determine how much it contributes to the money bag?

Obviously, there are a few where the value is a "?", so you still need to come with a convention for those. In worst case, you could still short circuit those specific Treasures.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:15:31 am by grrgrrgrr »

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 10:01:14 am »

I like this mechanic a lot, but I'd still appreciate it if it also works with Kingdom treasures. You see, Treasures always have a vanilla part that is displayed at the top of the card. Why not use that to determine how much it contributes to the money bag?

Obviously, there are a few where the value is a "?", so you still need to come with a convention for those. In worst case, you could still short circuit those specific Treasures.
It is deliberately specified that only the basic treasures may be used to fill a money bag. This is a restriction and a main idea so that the bonus purchased through it is not too easy to achieve. I.e. you are never allowed to use your money account or other treasures. On the other hand, you don't need a buy to use the bonus through a money bag either.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 10:53:19 am »

Is "give" the same as "play"? 

So for example, if you were to allow Kingdom treasures to be used for Money Bags, would Spices theoretically only provide +$2 or would it also provide +1 Buy?  Would Counterfeit only give +$1 without triggering the on-play ability?  Likewise, I think Bank and Fortune wouldn't do anything unless you actually have Treasures in play due to Storyteller or Black Market.

I agree with grrgrrgrr's suggestion to allow Kingdom Treasures, as long as you can clearly define what occurs in some exceptional cases.  For example, I'm not sure if Fool's Gold would be worth anything for Money Bags since you technically wouldn't even put one in play.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 12:45:49 pm »

So for example, if you were to allow Kingdom treasures to be used for Money Bags, would Spices theoretically only provide +$2 or would it also provide +1 Buy?  Would Counterfeit only give +$1 without triggering the on-play ability?  Likewise, I think Bank and Fortune wouldn't do anything unless you actually have Treasures in play due to Storyteller or Black Market.

I agree with grrgrrgrr's suggestion to allow Kingdom Treasures, as long as you can clearly define what occurs in some exceptional cases.  For example, I'm not sure if Fool's Gold would be worth anything for Money Bags since you technically wouldn't even put one in play.

No. When you put it below, you ignore the text of the Treasure itself and pay attention to the top part of the card. So Spices and Relic just act like silvers here.

It is deliberately specified that only the basic treasures may be used to fill a money bag. This is a restriction and a main idea so that the bonus purchased through it is not too easy to achieve. I.e. you are never allowed to use your money account or other treasures. On the other hand, you don't need a buy to use the bonus through a money bag either.

The chance of a moneybag card being in the same Kingdom as a Kingdom treasure is already low. Plus, forgoing the non-vanilla part is pretty suboptimal in most cases. So I don't see the added value of ditching kingdom treasures altogether.

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 05:19:39 am »
+1

As these are fan cards, you are free to formulate other rules. But please make it clear that I am not of this opinion.
My intention is that this mechanism has to be immediately playable for all Dominion players, including beginners, without any questions. This has also proven to be good in test games.
All other treausure cards make the rule complicated and there would be incessant discussions about rule interpretations.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 01:12:07 pm »

As these are fan cards, you are free to formulate other rules. But please make it clear that I am not of this opinion.
My intention is that this mechanism has to be immediately playable for all Dominion players, including beginners, without any questions. This has also proven to be good in test games.
All other treausure cards make the rule complicated and there would be incessant discussions about rule interpretations.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

That's cool. I respect that.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.