Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #108: How Deep is your Pile?  (Read 16245 times)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #108: How Deep is your Pile?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2021, 08:11:44 pm »
+8

Stockade (Action, $5)

+1 Buy
Draw as many cards as there are cards in the Stockade pile.
———
At the start of Cleanup, if you gained a Victory card this turn, return this to its pile.

There are only eight copies of Stockade in its pile, to impose a limit on its drawing power.

Make the most of your buys, because every time you return a copy to its pile, you strengthen the copies everyone else has.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2021, 05:10:15 am »
+5

Heres an old card idea for this weeks competition: A sort of tournament-sauna. It starts off weak but quickly snowballs.

Edit: Per Silverspawns suggestion, i Removed the +$ part, and changed its wording a bit. He also pointed out some grammar errors.

There are 10 Ringmasters in the supply. When ring master is in the game, players set up a Circus Member Pile, Similar to the Prize pile for Tournament. There is 1 copy of each Circus member per player. Unlike Tournaments prizes, Circus members don't run out as they are limited to 1 per player via Ringmasters wording.

Each Circus member can then, similar to Sauna and Avanto, play another circus member from hand.

Edit: changed wording to match beggar, a couple of grammar fixes.
Horse girl. A powerful horse gainer.

Edit: wording change
A forum/lab variant

Edit: grammar fixes.
Clown. A mountenback+ variant that always hits, but gives it to your hand, meaning that you increase their money by 1 for that turn.

Daredevil. A nonterminal Throne Room, but with the problem of only playing the bottom card of your deck.

Magician. A wacky Way of the seal, and a good source of + buy and money, but you may not always wanna bottomdeck cards.

Changed magician to Contortionist: A bizarre fusion of Annex and +2 cards.
(annex is a neat event that i almost never buy, so hey, why not make it a card?)

These cards are intended to synergize, and work together with each other. In the late game, When there is no more Circus members to gain, Ringmaster becomes a potent Source of Money if you play well.

Edit 1: A lot of the cards had capitalization issues and a bit weird formatting and wording. Corrected that. Other wise the only major part was that Daredevil and CLown were buffed: Daredevil now gives +2 actions, and Clown is +3$ but does not force a discard.

Edit 2: i didn't like Ringmasters art, so i changed it. Thats it, lol

Edit 3: A lot of grammar changes and Magician got changed into Contortionist.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:17:44 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 07:38:53 am »
+8

Florist - $2
Action
+1 Action +1 Card
You may move the top Event of the Flower deck to the bottom.
----
Setup: Add a deck of 5 Events to the game. Events from that deck are called Flowers. Only the top Flower can be bought.
When you buy a Flower, gain a Florist.

Clarifications:
- The Events in the Flower deck should be chosen from among the Events not otherwise used in the game.
- Players may look through the Flower deck at any time, but must not change the order of the Events in it.

Flowers are a deck of events, that come with Florists to help you arrange them.
I considered making Flowers move to the bottom of their deck when they were bought, but that makes things too swingy. Leaving it on top means (in normal circumstances) you can't shut out the next player from the event which you just got.

And the name? Well, when Donald X first introduced Events, he said that Flor(i)st was the 5th direction...

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 10:07:52 am »

I'm going to attempt something really silly, probably broken (and untested on top of that)! I might withdraw it in the situation where the good people of this forum makes it really obvious to me that it's broken/not working as intended :) . Anyway, here goes nothing:

Institute can be a non-terminal Smithy if it draws you 3 Treasures/Victory cards. Big Money dudes are happy. You start with a deck of 15 cards. 3 turns until the first shuffle instead of 2. Your opening split could be //; or //; or //. Or it could be none of that should you want to trash the junk-y Grants instead of taking their money. If you do, well, your deck is leaner, yay! But adieu, cool opening splits (and adieu 1 too, I guess).
I think that this is a really cool idea. The only thing is, it is almost strictly better than Scout. I don't find it a problem since Scout sucks and is removed, but I just wanted to mention it.

Scout reveals one more card than Institute, and it returns the revealed actions to your deck instead of discarding them. So I wouldn't call Institute "almost strictly better". In a treasureless deck Scout is actually clearly superior to Institute.

I suspect Institute will be rather weak outside of big money decks because of the discarding of actions, though the Grants boost it substantially...

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 12:56:15 pm »
+2

There's no Dolmen pile. They just go under all the other piles. A pile isn't empty unless its Dolmen card is bought.
Looks good. Bye bye Gardens rushes.

Having the same card available in different supply piles might complicate things. The situations I can think of are:
  • When more than one Dolmen is visible it sometimes matters which one you buy/gain/trash/exile etc. I think it is always clear who gets to make the choice though (viz, the person doing the thing, except in the case of Swindler!).
  • Ferry. Is this Dolmen in my hand the one which came from the pile I have my -2 cost token on? EDIT: I suppose you could rule that once a Dolmen is gained it is no longer "from" any pile.

EDIT2: Ninja'd on solution for 2!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:20:31 pm by infangthief »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 04:11:37 pm »
+1

Having the same card available in different supply piles might complicate things. The situations I can think of are:
  • When more than one Dolmen is visible it sometimes matters which one you buy/gain/trash/exile etc. I think it is always clear who gets to make the choice though (viz, the person doing the thing, except in the case of Swindler!).
  • Ferry. Is this Dolmen in my hand the one which came from the pile I have my -2 cost token on?
1. Yeah, seems clear to me

2. I think the cleanest, most obvious answer is to say Dolmen disconnects from its original pile when it leaves. So you can't Ambassador it (pretty obvious). Ferry reduces the cost on buy, but not after that (Technically you bought a $4 Dolmen, but gained a $6 one). I'll update the card to make this clearer.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 04:21:53 pm »

• Ferry. Is this Dolmen in my hand the one which came from the pile I have my -2 cost token on?

2. I think the cleanest, most obvious answer is to say Dolmen disconnects from its original pile when it leaves. So you can't Ambassador it (pretty obvious). Ferry reduces the cost on buy, but not after that (Technically you bought a $4 Dolmen, but gained a $6 one). I'll update the card to make this clearer.

Not sure it's obvious that Ambassador wouldn't work.  There's no pile to return it to, but it is possible for a Dolmen to be in the Supply to be gained.  While you wouldn't normally *want* to give your opponent a Dolmen (barring Possession), it should be *possible* to do so if it's available in the Supply
They/them

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 04:25:34 pm »
+1

True. It can't be returned to the Supply, but it's possible to give other people Dolmens by revealing it and returning 0.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2021, 08:59:33 pm »
+3

Another way to solve the Ferry problem without needing an FAQ would be to make it a debt cost so that Ferry doesn't work on any Dolmen anyway.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2021, 11:03:32 pm »
+1

Devil’s advocate
cost $2 - Project
Put your Devil token per a cube on this.
Gain a Reverse Hierarchy.

Reverse Hierarchy
cost $0* - Action
X is the number of your Devil tokens on Devil's advocate.
+$(3-X)
Trash up to X cards from your hand.
(This card is not in Supply.)

Reverse Hierarchy is a 46-card pile.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:52:26 am by majiponi »

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2021, 11:15:58 pm »

Devil’s advocate
cost $2 - Project
Put your Devil token per a cube on this.
Gain a Reverse Hierarchy.

Reverse Hierarchy
cost $0* - Action
X is the number of your Devil tokens on Devil's advocate.
+$(3-X)
Trash up to X cards from your hand.
(This card is not in Supply.)

Reverse Hierarchy is a 4-card pile.

I'd suggest 6-card pile, to allow it to work with up to 6 players
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2021, 11:46:52 pm »
+4

Distant Island
When you gain a non-Reserve card costing $3 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to put this and the gained card on your Tavern mat. Worth 3 VP if on your Tavern mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0 VP)

A Reserve-Victory-Reaction card.  Conceptually a kind of hybrid of Distant Lands and Island.  Like Distant Lands, it's a Victory card that's only worth points if it's on your Reserve mat at the end of the game, and like Island, it can be used to set other cards off to the side, in this case to the Reserve mat rather than a dedicated Island mat.  It can only be put on the Tavern mat if you have it in your hand while gaining a card costing $3 or more.  The restriction to $3 or more is to make it a little more difficult to activate - otherwise you could simply buy a Copper with an extra buy to activate it, or even use the reaction on a gained Curse, while the non-Reserve qualification is there to keep you from using it to immediately put Reserve cards on the mat.  Unlike Island, you can't use it to remove your starting cards, or cards gained when it's not in hand.  Since it doesn't use up an Action to put it on the Tavern mat, I made it worth a little less VP than Distant Lands

It combines two types - Reaction and Reserve - which are not combined in any other cards (at least, standard cards, I wouldn't be surprised if other people have made fan cards combining those types) and the only reaction, other than Hovel, without an above-the-line part

An obvious use of this card would be buying a Victory card with it in hand.  The non-Reserve restriction keeps you from using that on other Distant Islands, or with Distant Lands if you have both in the same game, but any other Victory cards other than Estates would be fair game
They/them

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2021, 12:45:39 am »
+2

There are 10 Ringmasters in the supply. When ring master is in the game, players set up a Circus Member Pile, Similar to the Prize pile for Tournament. There is 1 copy of each Circus member per player. Unlike Tournaments prizes, Circus members don't run out as they are limited to 1 per player via Ringmasters wording.

Would it simplify tracking if each player had their own Circus Member pile with one copy of each card, obviating the need to remember what’s been gained by whom? It would certainly streamline Ring Master’s first sentence: "Gain a card from your Circus Member pile."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:47:27 am by spheremonk »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 04:04:40 am »
+2

Key to the City
Treasure/Duration - $2
Now, and at the start of your turns for the rest of the game if this hasn't left play, +$1
_____
Between turns, if the Key to the City pile is empty, return all Keys to the City from play to the Supply

(Setup: There is 1 Key to the City per player in the supply)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:21:58 am by NoMoreFun »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2021, 04:10:46 am »
+6

Here is my attempt to recreate the Tulip mania in Dominion.

Tulip - $4
Treasure

$3
Exchange this for a Rare Tulip.
Rare Tulip - $7*
Night

+1 Card
+1 Buy
If the Tulip pile is empty, +$2.
Return to your Buy phase.
There are 5 Tulips in the supply, and 10 Rare Tulips in the pile.

EDIT: Changed Tulip to still be returned to the supply when the Rare Tulips are gone. Also decreased the price of Rare Tulip to make them less insane with TfB.
Old versions for reference:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:42:44 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 04:15:15 am »

Key to the City
Treasure/Duration - $4
Now, and at the start of your turns for the rest of the game if it hasn't left play, +$1
_____
When the Key to the City pile empties, return all Keys to the City from play to the Supply

I think you can probably drop "if it hasn't left play" since it's redundant - the duration effect can only apply when it is in play
They/them

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 04:29:18 am »
+1

Key to the City
Treasure/Duration - $4
Now, and at the start of your turns for the rest of the game if it hasn't left play, +$1
_____
When the Key to the City pile empties, return all Keys to the City from play to the Supply

I think you can probably drop "if it hasn't left play" since it's redundant - the duration effect can only apply when it is in play
That is false. If you trash a Hireling with Bonfire, its effect still applies.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 04:34:35 am »
+1

Tulip - $4
Treasure

$3
Rare Tulip - $7*
Night

+1 Card
+1 Buy

For clarification: Is the "return to your buy phase" part of Rare Tulip dependent on the Tulip pile being empty?
They/them

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2021, 04:44:13 am »

For clarification: Is the "return to your buy phase" part of Rare Tulip dependent on the Tulip pile being empty?
No, it is supposed to happen every time. I thought about putting it first, but it seemed odd to have the card still resolving after you've returned to the Buy phase.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2021, 05:23:50 am »

Key to the City
Treasure/Duration - $4
_____

That is false. If you trash a Hireling with Bonfire, its effect still applies.
Oh, right ... my mistake.  Should've realized that
They/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 07:13:49 am »

Distant Island
When you gain a non-Reserve card costing $3 or more, you may reveal this from your hand to put this and the gained card on your Tavern mat. Worth 3 VP if on your Tavern mat at the end of the game (otherwise worth 0 VP)

A Reserve-Victory-Reaction card.  Conceptually a kind of hybrid of Distant Lands and Island.  Like Distant Lands, it's a Victory card that's only worth points if it's on your Reserve mat at the end of the game, and like Island, it can be used to set other cards off to the side, in this case to the Reserve mat rather than a dedicated Island mat.  It can only be put on the Tavern mat if you have it in your hand while gaining a card costing $3 or more.  The restriction to $3 or more is to make it a little more difficult to activate - otherwise you could simply buy a Copper with an extra buy to activate it, or even use the reaction on a gained Curse, while the non-Reserve qualification is there to keep you from using it to immediately put Reserve cards on the mat.  Unlike Island, you can't use it to remove your starting cards, or cards gained when it's not in hand.  Since it doesn't use up an Action to put it on the Tavern mat, I made it worth a little less VP than Distant Lands

It combines two types - Reaction and Reserve - which are not combined in any other cards (at least, standard cards, I wouldn't be surprised if other people have made fan cards combining those types) and the only reaction, other than Hovel, without an above-the-line part

An obvious use of this card would be buying a Victory card with it in hand.  The non-Reserve restriction keeps you from using that on other Distant Islands, or with Distant Lands if you have both in the same game, but any other Victory cards other than Estates would be fair game

I'd consider choosing reaction-blue and victory-green as the colors on this, instead of reserve brown.

Since there's no call option on distant island, you'll never need to remember you can call it from your tavern mat. gubump had a whole spiel about this the other day in the discord, how distant lands probably didnt need the reserve type, since miser didnt have it but also put uncallable cards on the tavmat.

Anyhow, blue and green are the useful player cues with this - blue especially, I missed that this was a reaction at first glance.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:15:26 am by spineflu »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 07:20:34 am »
+1

Since there's no call option on distant island, you'll never need to remember you can call it from your tavern mat. gubump had a whole spiel about this the other day in the discord, how distant lands probably didnt need the reserve type, since miser didnt have it but also put uncallable cards on the tavmat.

Anyhow, blue and green are the useful player cues with this - blue especially, I missed that this was a reaction at first glance.

Imo, this shouldn't be a reserve card at all. Just make it set aside itself and add "(This stays aside permanently.)"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:47 am »
+6

Updated version:

Old:

A smithy that gives you copies for free! As with Rats, there are twenty cards in this pile.

I think this card has the property that it gets stronger the higher the cost is. I decided to make it cost 2$ to make it harder to use. Unlike with Rats, there is no on-trash benefit, and since it costs 2$, upgrading this only gives you a Silver. The upside of free smithy-level draw should be large enough to make it worth it, but the downside should be significant as well, even with many forms of TfB.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:36:17 am by silverspawn »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2021, 08:52:20 am »
+1

A smithy that gives you copies for free! As with Rats, there are twenty cards in this pile.

I think this card has the property that it gets stronger the higher the cost is. I decided to make it cost 2$ to make it harder to use. Unlike with Rats, there is no on-trash benefit, and since it costs 2$, upgrading this only gives you a Silver. The upside of free smithy-level draw should be large enough to make it worth it, but the downside should be significant as well, even with many forms of TfB.
This looks fun, but I'd be afraid that it gets a bit too ridiculous with the +Action token, Champion or Academy. Especially considering that these are very easy to insta-pile that way, which will leave one player with a massive advantage.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:53:42 am by faust »

infangthief

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2021, 09:21:12 am »
+1

Tulip - $4
Treasure

$3
Rare Tulip - $7*
Night

+1 Card
+1 Buy
More rare tulips than ordinary ones?
Could the Rare Tulip pile be like the Knights pile with 10 different variants? Then they are all rare!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.