Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pearl Diver played with 2 deck cards?  (Read 2601 times)

DaveS

• Steward
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Pearl Diver played with 2 deck cards?
« on: March 11, 2021, 01:43:04 am »

Hi all,
Pearl Diver text: "Look at the bottom card of your deck. You may put it on top."
Pearl Diver FAQ rule: "First draw a card and get +1 Action; then look at the bottom card of your deck, shuffling first if needed."

Nit picky question: If there are 2 cards on your deck, playing PD draws one to hand leaving one card in the your deck and no choice to make... unless you were to shuffle the discards while looking at the single card.

I'm guessing technically you would not shuffle but I'm thinking reasonable people could disagree. What say you?

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Re: Pearl Diver played with 2 deck cards?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:28:00 am »
+3

In that case you would look at the single card remaining in your deck then put it back, no decision to make.

The part about shuffling is referring to you not having a deck at all, ie Pearl Diver was played when you only had a one card deck. But I can see how the wording can be confusing and the FAQ could have been clearer.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 10:51:37 am »
+3

The general rule is that any time you need a cards from your deck, and there are not enough cards remaining in your deck to get what you want, you shuffle your discard first (and put your remaining deck on top if it wasn't completely empty, like if you need to draw 3 cards but only have 1 or 2 in your deck).

Pearl Diver follows this rule normally; first you draw 1 card, so you shuffle if your deck is empty. Then you look at the bottom card of your deck, so you shuffle if your deck is empty at that point. If the bottom card of your deck happens to be the only card in your deck, then there is no reason you need to shuffle, because you have enough cards to do what you need to do.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:24 pm »
+2

In a one-card deck, that sole card could be called the top or the bottom card.  Thus, there's no contradiction with Pearl Diver giving you the option to put the card on top or bottom.  Technically, you can still choose whether it goes on "top" or on "bottom", it's just that there's no actual difference in that context
They/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:44:13 pm »
+4

In an IRL game last week, I had 1 card left in my deck after drawing the card from Pearl Diver. I thought long and hard and eventually decided to keep it on the bottom of my deck.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 03:34:40 am »
+6

In an IRL game last week, I had 1 card left in my deck after drawing the card from Pearl Diver. I thought long and hard and eventually decided to keep it on the bottom of my deck.

Bold play, given the 100% probability that top was as good of better
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.