Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cumbersome discard pile mechanics opinions  (Read 2250 times)

DooWopDJ

• Golem
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Cumbersome discard pile mechanics opinions
« on: March 07, 2021, 04:50:18 pm »
+1

Finally getting back to playing IRL games.  I am usually not one to 'critique' any aspects of Dominion, but I thought I would post a question to determine how others viewed certain mechanics, that just make playing some cards mechanically cumbersome.

My current example are
 Counting House ... flipping over each card in my discard pile....
 Philosopher's Stone.  counting my cards every time ...

Luckily I only play 2P, and would not enjoy this card in multiple player

Any other thoughts on cumbersome mechanics?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Cumbersome discard pile mechanics opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 11:46:00 pm »
+6

Quote from: DooWopDJ

Huh? I don't understand this. The cards in your discard pile are already face up, and you just look through them and pull out the Coppers. If I'm playing IRL, I'll put all the Coppers on top of my discard pile, rules be damned.

The "don't look through your discard pile" rule exists so that you don't waste everybody else's time looking through your discard pile. In my real-life games, we generally just let you look through your discard pile when it's not your turn. If someone were trying to abuse that, with say Wishing Well, that would be a problem. But so far nobody has.

As for Philosopher's Stone, yeah it takes too long to count. I'm still sore that one year I got to create boards for some tournament that Rio Grande was running, and I spent a long time tweaking the perfect P.Stone board. It didn't have +Buy you see! So once you'd counted high enough that you had $8 with the rest in your hand, you could just stop counting. But then they took P.Stone out of that board for the tournament. Jerks.

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 09:18:55 am »
+1

Huh? I don't understand this. The cards in your discard pile are already face up, and you just look through them and pull out the Coppers. If I'm playing IRL, I'll put all the Coppers on top of my discard pile, rules be damned.

We also play a 'variant' with CH.  We just set the Coppers aside in a separate discard pile.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 07:47:11 pm »

We also play a 'variant' with CH.  We just set the Coppers aside in a separate discard pile.

That just seems to me to make more work than it saves.  It doesn't take that long to look through your discard pile to pick out the coppers, and you only need to do that on turns you actually play CH, but separating out the Coppers would be something you'd need to do any hand in which you have one or more Coppers, and then recombine them when you shuffle
They/them

DooWopDJ

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 11:26:49 am »

That just seems to me to make more work than it saves.  It doesn't take that long to look through your discard pile to pick out the coppers, and you only need to do that on turns you actually play CH, but separating out the Coppers would be something you'd need to do any hand in which you have one or more Coppers, and then recombine them when you shuffle
[/quote]

You make a good point.  I had not realized that I was just 'moving' the separation task from the 'look through once', and just moved it to the 'each time i discard a copper phase'.  So in reality, I probably added MORE time to the task of separation.
Note: this is one reason why I enjoy the online game, it tracks this information as we play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.