Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #107: Coppers and Estates  (Read 9682 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #107: Coppers and Estates
« on: March 06, 2021, 12:11:39 am »
+2

Weekly Design Contest #107: Coppers and Estates

Design a card(s) or landscape that names Copper and/or Estate in its text.

Examples of valid entries: Moneylender, Baron, Banquet, Shepherd/Pasture, and Fountain.

Deadline: March 12

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #107: Coppers and Estates
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 07:47:35 am »
+6

Manor (Action, $5)

+3 Cards

You may trash an Estate from your hand. If you did, choose one: +1 Action, or +1 Buy.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:20:51 am »
+1

If we are designing cards that mention Estates, should we be paying attention to how the card would play in games with Shelters?

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:58:08 am »
+3

Marquis • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
+1 Buy
On your next turn, +1 Buy and Copper produces an extra $1. Until then, when any player (including you) buys a card, they first gain a Copper to the top of their deck.

Coppersmith and Swamp Hag combination. So named because most aristocratic titles care about one of the base cards - Duke + Duchess care about Duchy, Baron: Estate, Count: Copper, Governor: Silver (Gold), and so on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:09:04 am by spineflu »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 01:10:26 pm »
+1

+1 Buy
On your next turn, +1 Buy and Copper produces an extra $1. Until then, when any player (including you) buys a card, they first gain a Copper to the top of their deck.

Coppersmith and Swamp Hag combination. So named because most aristocratic titles care about one of the base cards - Duke + Duchess care about Duchy, Baron: Estate, Count: Copper, Governor: Silver (Gold), and so on.
Doesnt this run into the Sea hag problem: The other player could end up with 5 coppers for their next hand?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 01:57:14 pm »
+1

+1 Buy

Doesnt this run into the Sea hag problem: The other player could end up with 5 coppers for their next hand?

Kind of, but there's two reasons it dodges that - first, the other player controls how hard they get hit by it. Second, a $5 hand of coppers is not a pin - in fact, it's enough to buy your own Marquis and go for your own Coppersmith strategy.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 02:39:21 pm »
+4

Provisions
Treasure - $4
+1 Buy
Choose one:
Gain a Copper into your hand for each Treasure card in play,
or trash any number of Coppers from your hand for $1 each.

The Apothecary's best friend. Encourages insane exponential growth and depletion of the Copper supply, or could be simply used to trash initial Coppers.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 03:51:40 pm »
+7

My submission:

Tinker
$3 - Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

Gain a Copper to your hand.         
-------------------------
When you buy this, trash all
Coppers you have in play.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 05:47:15 pm »
+1

(Updated)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:10:50 am by silverspawn »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 07:27:13 pm »
+1

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 08:01:12 pm »

CONCESSION -- $7
PROJECT
During your turns, Estates are also Treasures with:
" $1 "
"You may return a Copper from your hand to the Supply for +$2; if you don't, gain a Copper to your hand."

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 09:31:56 pm »
+2

If we are designing cards that mention Estates, should we be paying attention to how the card would play in games with Shelters?
I won't penalize a card if it's not very good with Shelters.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 11:29:21 pm »
+2

As worded, unless I’m missing something, this card doesn’t achieve its purpose. As a general principle of Dominion, a player may choose an option they can’t do. So any time I have no Coppers, I would choose “discard 2 Coppers” and discard nothing. But, if I had Coppers, since the card has no accountability build in, I would still choose “discard 2 Coppers,” claim I had none, and discard nothing. As a result, I always get +5 cards and discard none.

If I understand your intention correctly, the easiest way to achieve it is probably to delete everything above the line except “+5 Cards,” and replace it with the following: “Discard 2 Coppers. If you didn’t, discard 5 cards.” (Or, if you prefer, for greater clarity: “You may discard 2 Coppers. If you didn’t, discard 5 cards. ”)

I hope this is helpful.

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 11:41:29 pm »

But, if I had Coppers, since the card has no accountability build in, I would still choose “discard 2 Coppers,” claim I had none, and discard nothing. As a result, I always get +5 cards and discard none.

That's not quite right. Given that this is terminal drawing, unless you used a village this will be the end of your Action phase, so your Buy phase would start thereafter. You would either have to play those Coppers, revealing that you cheated, or hide them in your hand, which would eliminate any benefit of not discarding them.

If I understand your intention correctly, the easiest way to achieve it is probably to delete everything above the line except “+5 Cards,” and replace it with the following: “Discard 2 Coppers. If you didn’t, discard 5 cards.” (Or, if you prefer, for greater clarity: “You may discard 2 Coppers. If you didn’t, discard 5 cards. ”)

I agree with your overall point, but these two phrasings matter in an important way. If you have 2 Coppers and 4 Victory cards (in addition to other Treasure), under the first wording you would be required to discard the Coppers, while under the 2nd wording you could discard 1 Copper and 4 Victory cards. That would be even more important if one or more of those Victory cards was a Tunnel.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 12:33:24 am »
+2

That's not quite right. Given that this is terminal drawing, unless you used a village this will be the end of your Action phase, so your Buy phase would start thereafter. You would either have to play those Coppers, revealing that you cheated, or hide them in your hand, which would eliminate any benefit of not discarding them.
No. Having more than one Action in a turn is not an edge case. Trust me: I’ve seen it happen. All these crazy cards with “Village” in their names . . . 
In any case, what’s your argument? You only get to cheat sometimes, so it’s cool?

I agree with your overall point, but these two phrasings matter in an important way. If you have 2 Coppers and 4 Victory cards (in addition to other Treasure), under the first wording you would be required to discard the Coppers, while under the 2nd wording you could discard 1 Copper and 4 Victory cards. That would be even more important if one or more of those Victory cards was a Tunnel.
So use the second wording. It's clear, it works, and it mirrors what was likely intended.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:37:52 am by spheremonk »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 01:00:30 am »
+1

But, if I had Coppers, since the card has no accountability build in, I would still choose “discard 2 Coppers,” claim I had none, and discard nothing. As a result, I always get +5 cards and discard none.

No. Having more than one Action in a turn is not an edge case. Trust me: I’ve seen it happen. All these crazy cards with “Village” in their names . . . 
In any case, what’s your argument? You only get to cheat sometimes, so it’s cool? Just no.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/always

he/him/his

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 04:54:27 am »
+7

Vagabond - Action Attack Duration, $4 cost.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards. Until then, when another player trashes a card other than a Copper, they gain a Copper.
-
When you gain this, you may set it aside. If you do, play it.
Heirloom: Begging Bowl
Begging Bowl - Treasure Heirloom, $1 cost.
$1
You may let each other player trash a card from their hand for + $1.
Begging Bowl is using a new but hopefully simple term, 'let'. You may give each other player the option to trash a card from their hand, and no matter how many do trash, you get + $1.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:33:10 am by Aquila »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 05:10:23 am »
+1

As worded, unless I’m missing something, this card doesn’t achieve its purpose. As a general principle of Dominion, a player may choose an option they can’t do. So any time I have no Coppers, I would choose “discard 2 Coppers” and discard nothing. But, if I had Coppers, since the card has no accountability build in, I would still choose “discard 2 Coppers,” claim I had none, and discard nothing. As a result, I always get +5 cards and discard none.

You're right of course. I had a correct wording initially but then decided to 'improve' it to make it feel more natural.

Updated version (also edited the post):

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 05:12:30 am »
+1

How's this play with Inheritance?

Since both cards say 'also', you get both effects. Accountant happens first since it tiggers at the start of the game.

So, if I inherit a Steward and play Estate, I get a Copper to my hand, then I play Steward (and can trash it if I want to).

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 07:21:43 am »
+2

At first its an Lab, Then its a smithy but with a lot of Estates in your deck.

Edit:
Formatting fixed, added action as type, and added the setup to the card

Edit 2: Removed setup, it was unnecessary.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 05:04:50 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 10:14:33 am »
+3

Green Shelter
cost $3 - Action
You may exile an Estate from your hand.
+1 Card per an Estate on your Exile mat.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2021, 11:58:14 am »
+3

Games using picnic has two Extra Estates per player in the supply

At first it,s an Lab, Then its a smithy but with a lot of Estates in your deck.

I'd probably put that in a Setup: clause

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2021, 04:36:54 pm »
+2

Cat Burglar - $4
Night
Each other player reveals an Estate or Copper from their hand, or reveals a hand with none.
If a Copper was revealed, gain a Spoils, otherwise +1 Coffers.
If an Estate was revealed, +1 Villager, otherwise +1 Card at the end of this turn.

A non-attack card that still interacts with other players. Not entirely sure what it's power level is, but went with $4 for its cost b/c of Marauder.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 11:16:18 pm »
+1

Quote from: Codger
Codger
$4 - Action
Exile a Copper from your hand to gain a card costing up to $1 per Copper on your Exile mat.  Otherwise, reveal a hand with no Coppers and Exile a Copper from the Supply.
-
Setup: Each player Exiles 2 Coppers from the Supply.

Codger is a Displace variant that only works with Coppers.  It starts off slow (you can only gain a $3 cost or cheaper card the first time you play it), but it can theoretically gain Colonies with enough plays and assuming you still have at least one Copper in your deck.  There is synergy with Sanctuary, but there will still be the trade-off between putting Coppers onto your Exile mat and ensuring there is still enough food for Codger to gain cards. 

(There is also a more esoteric synergy with Fountain if that's important to anyone)       
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:34:01 am by Timinou »

emtzalex

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 01:24:58 am »
+1

Quote from: Codger
Codger
$4 - Action
Exile a Copper from your hand and if you did, gain a card costing up to $1 per Copper on your Exile mat.  Otherwise, reveal a hand with no Coppers and Exile a Copper from the Supply.
-
Setup: Each player Exiles 2 Coppers from the Supply.
I think you can tighten up this language a bit:

"Exile a Copper from your hand and if you did, to gain a card costing up to $1 per Copper on your Exile mat."

See Beggar, Duplicate, Enhance, Fool's Gold, Haunted Mirror, Hostelry, Improve, Market Square, The Earth's Gift, The Sky's Gift, Tunnel, Urchin, Way of the Butterfly, and Way of the Rat.
he/him/his

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 21 queries.