Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76  All

Author Topic: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Game concluded)  (Read 200280 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: RMM59: Battlestar Galactica Legacy - Season 1 (Day 3)
« Reply #1125 on: April 09, 2021, 09:54:21 am »

I think controlling!MiX is more likely to be scum!MiX.

How exactly is mix being "controlling"?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 09, 2021, 10:10:42 am »

So I wrote six posts in a row yesterday when I had time to review and such.  LaLight was the first to post after them, but literally seemed like he hadn't seen them at all.  And the game has just continued from there.

Did my six posts actually post?  I went back and looked and they were all there on my screen.

Sorry about that. I meant to respond to at least one. What happens is I wake up, read the latest, then get my day started. By the time I was able to find time to post, I had forgotten there was something. Anyway, it wasn't super critical, but here:

Well, I claimed Commander Adama. I never specifically said I was military, but I think that can be inferred. Also why I never offered to be VP. Though I'd be ok (eventually) renouncing my powers were I to be president.

Just because your flavor character is clearly in the military, that definitely means absolutely nothing in this game.  I'm a military character and I am civilian.

Like, someone could claim to be Worf, a Klingon who was saved from a ship floating dead in space after the BSG picked up a distress signal and I'd believe them.  That's about the level of consistency I'm finding here.

Well, we have two at least characters who should be and are military (Adama and Helo). And at least one where Civilian overlapped (Roslin). And when you asked your question, I don't recall anyone else saying (or willing to say) that they had the same disparity. It's possible that there are others and they either chose not to reveal or are from the group that wasn't posting much due to the othe rgame (let's call them the Final 5, if we include Swowl as moderator ;) ). Or maybe faust was unsure with chief because he is a mechanic. Or you're lying to confuse things.

Either way, there was enough reason for me to assume that my being Adama implied my being military.

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 09, 2021, 10:16:35 am »

There's plenty from D1 while mathdude was president, but I don't have time to go fetch them (vaccine appointment in 1 hr! woot!).

But here's a recent post using MiX's own language:

Being the president is not something I wanted to be. I wanted math to be the president because he was town, and he was obviously town. If I was scum, I could just control him into doing what I want anyway.

And before the "but he says 'If I was scum'" brigade shows up, does anyone doubt town!MiX wouldn't play the same way, the exception being that doing the the things he wants would be pro-town?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 09, 2021, 10:29:25 am »

also what tickled me, why do you use "mafiaread" and "mafia" as a whole instead of scum? that's not a concern, just curiosity. Knowing you there's something beneath it

It’s just a conscious effort of my part to stop using the word “scum.”  I used it a ton before, obviously, but for some reason it bothers me to say now.  Not sure why, as I don’t know that it has a problematic nuance or anything.  If I want to differentiate between different types of non-town, I’ll write it out to make it clear.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 09, 2021, 10:35:50 am »

There's plenty from D1 while mathdude was president, but I don't have time to go fetch them (vaccine appointment in 1 hr! woot!).

Being the president is not something I wanted to be. I wanted math to be the president because he was town, and he was obviously town. If I was scum, I could just control him into doing what I want anyway.

And before the "but he says 'If I was scum'" brigade shows up, does anyone doubt town!MiX wouldn't play the same way, the exception being that doing the the things he wants would be pro-town?

And thus the case of controlling!mix being scum!mix falls apart without me having to argue for it.

For the record, I wouldn't call what I was trying to do with math controlling, I'd call it trying to read him, and then trying to teamwork. Besides, I changed considerabky onve math flipped.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 09, 2021, 11:08:58 am »

I will say that MiX’s style is often bossy which reads as controlling even if he’s not actually controlling anything.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 09, 2021, 12:21:00 pm »

I will attempt to catch up later today.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 09, 2021, 12:49:12 pm »

This reminding me of when I was scum with him.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 09, 2021, 12:49:58 pm »

ninja'd by pasta

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 09, 2021, 12:52:28 pm »

I will say that MiX’s style is often bossy which reads as controlling even if he’s not actually controlling anything.
There is a different feel this time. More omnipotent than usual.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 09, 2021, 12:58:04 pm »

And thus the case of controlling!mix being scum!mix falls apart without me having to argue for it.

For the record, I wouldn't call what I was trying to do with math controlling, I'd call it trying to read him, and then trying to teamwork. Besides, I changed considerabky onve math flipped.

I wouldn't say it falls apart, because not everyone will necessarily agree with me. Remember I'm not one of the ones voting for you, because while I do think the things you've done / pushed  appear as at least neutral, if not anti-town, I have a gut feeling you think they're pro-town in the long run. (or that possibly you're third party, which was reinforced by something else you said recently)

I actually think scuMiX would be more carefully and do some more obviously pro-town things in his "controlling".

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 09, 2021, 01:04:26 pm »

I do have to admit I'm less engaed in this day trying to decide on voting, due to my "backup" vote. I've thought about it some more, and it's not even really a 1/2 vote, since even if all the military chose to vote for someone in possibly (likely) wouldn't matter.

But I do want to place my vote somewhere, so am going to go with:
Vote: space

I just find their posts to be less anemotown than usual. Like, they provide a lot of useful content, but it's mostly just recap of what's happened and repeating others' opinions. I think the most recent post, where they agreed a bunch with me felt just enough to think they might be trying to buddy me.

I'm also wary of swowl's supposed compulsive, then not compulsive shot, and then the weirdness of his killing / protective actions against LL. I'm really not sure how to interpret all that.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 09, 2021, 01:32:06 pm »

I can see that. The hole “I’m not as invested in town winning as usual” is very strange. Is he third party? He’s definitely not pro-town

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 09, 2021, 01:38:57 pm »

I can see that. The hole “I’m not as invested in town winning as usual” is very strange. Is he third party? He’s definitely not pro-town

Yeah ^^^ that is what I was referring to when I wrote this:

(or that possibly you're third party, which was reinforced by something else you said recently)

The problem is I always struggle to read MiX. I also think that if we keep him one more day for president, he'll have to chose a pro-town XO tomorrow, because one more anti-town choice and well, I think we'd have to brig him, no?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 09, 2021, 02:05:51 pm »

I have a theory that he gets legacy points based on how long the game lasts
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: April 09, 2021, 02:27:46 pm »

I might not be pro town (because of this day's order), but I certainly have tried to be.

I am trying to win as town because I am town. There's just things that make this game unlike typical town games for me. You can talk about it but I don't think it's pro-town for me to say them, it'll just let scum take advantage of it.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 09, 2021, 03:16:59 pm »

MiX, are you still waiting for Robz to say something? What’s going on there?

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 09, 2021, 03:35:08 pm »

I'm waiting for everyone, and Robz is the last one.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 09, 2021, 04:49:37 pm »

I'm waiting for everyone, and Robz is the last one.

And then what?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 09, 2021, 04:53:28 pm »

also what tickled me, why do you use "mafiaread" and "mafia" as a whole instead of scum? that's not a concern, just curiosity. Knowing you there's something beneath it

It’s just a conscious effort of my part to stop using the word “scum.”  I used it a ton before, obviously, but for some reason it bothers me to say now.  Not sure why, as I don’t know that it has a problematic nuance or anything.  If I want to differentiate between different types of non-town, I’ll write it out to make it clear.

Thanks! In russian we use the word "Mafia" to talk about non-town faction which is the exact same word when we play, so your post was very noticeable for me :)
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 09, 2021, 09:04:45 pm »

There are a lot of examples of general attempts to shut down conversation about some topics, or not to share information on ExO cards etc. Against a back drop of those kinds of assertive statements, though, there's also some more specific stuff, for example, when MiX had the QT with Mathdude. First there was a directive to Mathdude to check in with it whenever he was posting (#244), then later on MiX literally said "If you don't want my help, then I don't want you alive" when Mathdude did something without asking MiX's permission. To me, that's language that wouldn't be at all okay in real-life social interaction, so I thought it crossed a bit of a line here too. I called it out at #248 and MiX responded "Talk to me when you find it scummy", which I felt was trying to shut down my observation about civility because it's not game-relevant.

Further on when Mathdude says something else QT-related, MiX says "please talk to me before revealing things in the thread I swear to god", where I'd generally read that ending as threatening language, and therefore classify it as controlling.

At #592, Scola asks MiX whether he'd consulted with ADK on the ExO card, because MiX had admonished Mathdude for not discussing the selection with him. MiX's response at #593 was that his demands of Mathdude were a way to get a read on him, and that since ADK is very experienced, MiX didn't need to do that with them. That seems to entirely miss the point that Scola was pointing out to MiX how hypocritical he was being.

As a last specific example, at #599 there's a throwaway reply that "It means that I don't feel like forcing them to make decisions through me will help them, or me." Again, MiX writes as if forcing people to do things is a socially acceptable way to behave, and I find that disturbing.

I don't know what I think about how alignment-indicative any of this is. It's possible that scum!MiX is less likely than town!MiX to make blanket comments about how anything is pro-town, simply because he's a player who's quite strongly biased by his current assumptions about the game, therefore maybe he's more likely to be so adamant over the "it's anti-town to tell you" line if he's really town, because scum!MiX would be more aware that he'd have to convince other people. Either way, I would prefer it to be non-alignment-indicative behaviour that MiX could learn to modify to be more mindful of how his writing might come across.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 09, 2021, 09:14:15 pm »

I do have to admit I'm less engaed in this day trying to decide on voting, due to my "backup" vote. I've thought about it some more, and it's not even really a 1/2 vote, since even if all the military chose to vote for someone in possibly (likely) wouldn't matter.

I just find their posts to be less anemotown than usual. Like, they provide a lot of useful content, but it's mostly just recap of what's happened and repeating others' opinions. I think the most recent post, where they agreed a bunch with me felt just enough to think they might be trying to buddy me.

I'm also wary of swowl's supposed compulsive, then not compulsive shot, and then the weirdness of his killing / protective actions against LL. I'm really not sure how to interpret all that.

I still don't fully have my head in the game, but at least I've gotten my biggest blocker to engaging in the game out in the open now. (Possibly second-biggest after just not having coped well with this game starting before the previous one had ended).

I do find it mildly amusing that you ended your post with an "I'm also wary..." and then came to the same conclusion about Swowl that I ended my big recent post on, even though you apparently characterised my post as just "repeating others' opinions".
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 09, 2021, 09:29:08 pm »

There are a lot of examples of general attempts to shut down conversation about some topics, or not to share information on ExO cards etc. Against a back drop of those kinds of assertive statements, though, there's also some more specific stuff, for example, when MiX had the QT with Mathdude. First there was a directive to Mathdude to check in with it whenever he was posting (#244), then later on MiX literally said "If you don't want my help, then I don't want you alive" when Mathdude did something without asking MiX's permission. To me, that's language that wouldn't be at all okay in real-life social interaction, so I thought it crossed a bit of a line here too. I called it out at #248 and MiX responded "Talk to me when you find it scummy", which I felt was trying to shut down my observation about civility because it's not game-relevant.

Further on when Mathdude says something else QT-related, MiX says "please talk to me before revealing things in the thread I swear to god", where I'd generally read that ending as threatening language, and therefore classify it as controlling.

At #592, Scola asks MiX whether he'd consulted with ADK on the ExO card, because MiX had admonished Mathdude for not discussing the selection with him. MiX's response at #593 was that his demands of Mathdude were a way to get a read on him, and that since ADK is very experienced, MiX didn't need to do that with them. That seems to entirely miss the point that Scola was pointing out to MiX how hypocritical he was being.

As a last specific example, at #599 there's a throwaway reply that "It means that I don't feel like forcing them to make decisions through me will help them, or me." Again, MiX writes as if forcing people to do things is a socially acceptable way to behave, and I find that disturbing.

I don't know what I think about how alignment-indicative any of this is. It's possible that scum!MiX is less likely than town!MiX to make blanket comments about how anything is pro-town, simply because he's a player who's quite strongly biased by his current assumptions about the game, therefore maybe he's more likely to be so adamant over the "it's anti-town to tell you" line if he's really town, because scum!MiX would be more aware that he'd have to convince other people. Either way, I would prefer it to be non-alignment-indicative behaviour that MiX could learn to modify to be more mindful of how his writing might come across.

We are not here to argue how to act socially. We are here to catch scum. I'd hoped that you had understood this about me at this point, but I'm always confusing, so that's okay.

You constantly and consistently bring up NAI things about me. This doesn't help the game. The truth is, I find it much more comfortable to be nice and try to help everyone at everything, without imposing myself. The problem is, I want comfort when I'm scum. When I'm town, I actually do need to go against people, because being nice and helpful and friendly means scum can manipulate you. This also helps me have confidence in my reads, both townreads and scumreads. How can you scum read someone if they're a person? If we were all having a social and polite conversation, no one would mention the possibility of scum being among us.

After math's first game, I wanted to get a very, very good read on them. I knew I was capable of doing so, as I had done it once, but as the person with access to a QT with him, I felt like it was my duty to get a right read on him, and push it so the rest of town would agree. That was my number one thing to do that day, and so that's what I did: I talked to math a lot to see what he was thinking, and I was trying to help him out. I was generally townreading him. When he posted those things publicly, I got cold feet. What if he is scum? But it's my job to read him, I can't have any doubt about his alignment. So paranoia became frustration became anger. I cooled off quickly enough (at least the second time I went through this...), but of course you can't see our QT. Then I did the dayvig thing which told me math was 100% town, so now I wanted to cooperate with him. Second step, after me trusting him, is he trusting me, so I went to work on that. Of course, I'm not very good at that, so you can ask math when the game is over what he's thought about me over the course of this game.

Was I trying to control math into talking me through his decisions? Yes. Was I trying to control those decisions? Indirectly, yes, but he's a new player: I just wanted him to accept my input, and then do what he thinks is best. After his first order pick, you'd all do the same.

(About #592) I don't think I can address how hypocritical I was: I didn't think I was, and I still don't. Math and ADK are two very different people. Besides, scola should've asked ADK that, they're the ones that are now in the position I was with math.

Yes, I do think forcing people to vote for scum is socially acceptable in this game. I think that's half of town's job, to convince that their scumreads are accurate, while listening to other people doing the same thing (the other half is having accurate scumreads, and the third half is convincing town they're town. It's a very full game).

I'm not sure what my playstyle this game says about my alignment (as much as I want to say it screams town, as that's how I approach being town), but this post is what I would call high effort from me, even if it doesn't have a reread or a VCA (which are usually my high effort high points). Take it as you will.

PPE 1

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 09, 2021, 09:34:30 pm »

I still don't fully have my head in the game, but at least I've gotten my biggest blocker to engaging in the game out in the open now. (Possibly second-biggest after just not having coped well with this game starting before the previous one had ended).

I do find it mildly amusing that you ended your post with an "I'm also wary..." and then came to the same conclusion about Swowl that I ended my big recent post on, even though you apparently characterised my post as just "repeating others' opinions".

This raises an eyebrow. Is it just me, or is this scummy coming from Didds?

Swowl

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: Swowl
  • Snow.Owl.Duh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 09, 2021, 10:24:45 pm »

Didds?
Jesus how did i fuck that up
real good. That’s how
Town:  14 wins, 14 losses (1 MVP)
Skum: 7 wins, 7 losses (1 MVP)
3-Party: 4 wins, 1 loss
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 76  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 19 queries.