Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back  (Read 12830 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2021, 03:54:16 pm »
+1

It's been 8 days, so the judging's a bit late.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2021, 06:25:40 pm »
+1

Yes, sorry for losing track of time for a bit. Submissions are closed, and I'll make sure judging is out by tomorrow.
Current entries (if your entry is not listed here, make sure I am aware of it)
scolapasta's Retriever
silverspawn's Tavern
mathdude's Borrowed Land
Aquila's Magnate
BBobb's Trapper
Xen3k's Horse Racers
spheremonk's Dignitaries
mandioca15's Brazier
faust's Burglar
Timinou's Homestead
X-tra's Wooden Spikes
fika monster's Quick Deal
Mahowrath's Cloakroom
NoMoreFun's Sensei
emtzalex's Fanatics
Commodore Chuckles's Eager Hound
pubby's Panner
spineflu's Profits
Gubump's Harbor
LibraryAdventurer's Bridge Builder
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:07:47 pm by D782802859 »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2021, 07:01:44 pm »

Yes, sorry for losing track of time for a bit. Submissions are closed, and I'll make sure judging is out by tomorrow.

You missed my Bridge Builder.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2021, 07:08:09 pm »

You missed my Bridge Builder.
Thanks for letting me know! I've updated the list.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2021, 09:20:36 pm »
+6

Judging
scolapasta's Retriever

As a 2-cost +2 cards with a reaction, this is in good company. Plus, it has added upside of giving itself back to you next turn! It turns discarding into deck thinning, and it counters trashing attacks. It seems a bit too narrow to be worth buying a lot of the time.
silverspawn's Tavern

This is extremely overcosted. I quite like the idea, a dead card with duration draw on-gain, but 6 is much too expensive for what it is. 4 or even 3 would be a better price.
mathdude's Borrowed Land

Not a bad concept, but another undertuned one. The issue is that, barring alt-vp cards which are uncommon, it only does anything when your opponent gains a province or colony since duchies just give an estate. It' just not buyable most of the time.
Aquila's Magnate
Magnate - Victory, $4 cost.
2VP
-
When you gain this, gain a non-Victory card costing up to $4. When you trash this during your turn, cards cost $2 less for the turn.
Quite like this. It gives you a potential big turn, but with some difficulties and a reason to buy it otherwise.
BBobb's Trapper

Hunting Grounds with a downside. Great card. A -1 Card Token is a big downside that comes with a big upside, since you start with a smaller hand, allowing you to easier dud, but it's often worth it.
Xen3k's Horse Racer

A cheaper lab, but only later into the game since you need to have non-copper buying power first. It reminds me of Grand Market, and that's certainly a good thing. It not cost reducing when you have a bunch already is a good thing too.
spheremonk's Dignitary

An interactive terminal draw card, which is a double lab with some help from the other player. The design here's nice, although it may be a bit strong once provinces start being consistently gained.
mandioca15's Brazier
Brazier (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
---
While this is in play, when you finish playing an Action and it's still in play,
you may trash it for +1VP.
This seems like a nice skill testing card. It can be a win condition or just get rid of things you don't need.
faust's Burglar

On its own, this is a much worse Candlestick Maker. However, once you start greening, it gets a lot better. The weak early, strong late tradeoff is quite good, and likely makes for some very interesting decision-making.
Timinou's Homestead

I'm not a huge fan of how feast or famine this is. Unlike other cost reducers, it does absolutely nothing without extra buys or gains and requires quite a lot of setup to do much.
X-tra's Wooden Spikes

A neat little trasher, and another tricky one. It can ax a whole lot of coppers at once, but this isn't without downside, mainly losing your buy for the turn.
fika monster's Quick Deal

A riff on Innovation as an action. A nice way to accelerate some cards, and it works on non-actions. I do feel "action or treasure" should be specified.
Mahowrath's Cloakroom

I’ll admit, I’m not quite sure the purpose of this. It thins you, but it gives you just as much junk back.
NoMoreFun's Sensei

Turn your spare action cards into +cards. Some cool decisions to be made, since you can grab random 2s and 3s to make Smithies.
emtzalex's Fanatics

This may be a bit too much of a downside. It’s akin to Mission, but that being an event instead of a full pile and not taking up deck space is significant.
Commodore Chuckles's Eager Hound

Nothing too complicated, just a nice 2-cost card. A bit like Den of Sin, but a Moat and duration draw are very different while in the deck.
pubby's Panner

This seems very interesting decision-wise. You get a strong card for cheap, but also mildly junk yourself.
spineflu's Profits

I quite appreciate the creative use of the reserve mat within the rules. A one-shot fortune you can save also seems like it would play quite well.
Gubump's Harbor

Border Village, but on a Smithy. Of course, this isn’t to say it would play out the same. Villages are quite different than smithies.
LibraryAdventurer's Bridge Builder
Bridge Builder
$6 - Action
+3 Cards.
-
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less.
Another simple, but nice card. Bridge gives the buys part of a cost reduction megaturn, Highway gives the actions, this gives the cards.

Honorable Mentions:
Burglar
Trapper
Dignitary
Wooden Spikes
Eager Hound
Harbor
Winner:
Panner, by pubby.
Hard choice, but well done to all of you this week!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2021, 12:10:51 am »
+1

Cool, I won! Thanks for judging, D782802859. I really enjoyed this week's theme.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2021, 05:53:36 pm »
+2

This is extremely overcosted. I quite like the idea, a dead card with duration draw on-gain, but 6 is much too expensive for what it is. 4 or even 3 would be a better price.

This is not that important, but it does strike me as an odd verdict, especially since the powerlevel was already discussed. If it were obviously overpriced, wouldn't I know that? I mean, I thought about what it should cost, so what did you find that I missed?

+1 VP is comparable to +1 Card. (Monument suggests it may worth less, at least later in the game.) If Tavern draws 2, it should be better than Duchy. This happens if you have 1 Victory card in hand. If you have 2, it should be comparable to a Province. And the ceiling is much higher.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2021, 08:48:36 am »
+2

This is not that important, but it does strike me as an odd verdict, especially since the powerlevel was already discussed. If it were obviously overpriced, wouldn't I know that? I mean, I thought about what it should cost, so what did you find that I missed?

+1 VP is comparable to +1 Card. (Monument suggests it may worth less, at least later in the game.) If Tavern draws 2, it should be better than Duchy. This happens if you have 1 Victory card in hand. If you have 2, it should be comparable to a Province. And the ceiling is much higher.
One-shot draw isn't comparable to actual in-deck draw. If you want this for vp, usually you'd rather just have a Duchy.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2021, 05:57:07 am »
+1

One-shot draw isn't comparable to actual in-deck draw. If you want this for vp, usually you'd rather just have a Duchy.

When you miss $8 (or $16)  in the end game, you'll usually have at least one and often several green cards in hand. In this case I'd strongly prefer Tavern over Duchy, as it drastically increases the chance to gain another Province next turn, at the cost of only 1 VP now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.