Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back  (Read 12827 times)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 11:41:18 am »
+2

Brazier (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
---
While this is in play, when you finish playing an Action and it's still in play,
you may trash it for +1VP.

Turn your Action cards into VP tokens once you're done with them. You can even self-immolate if you want. Of course, you need extra actions if you want to trash other Action cards...

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 11:50:00 am »

took Gubump's "this means no reserves, right?" as an additional design challenge and came up with:

Profits • $5 • Treasure - Reserve
+1 Buy
-
This is gained to your Tavern mat.

During your Buy phase, if you have 3 or fewer Treasures in play and you have not doubled your $ yet this turn, you may call this to double your $.

One shot miniature fortune that becomes a junk card in your deck after use. There is no way to return it to the tavern mat without first returning it to the supply (that I've thought of, anyhow).
Kind of a throwback to the first string of WDC contests, getting creative about how to get things to the tavern mat.

Has some synergies with peddlers/markets/etc; really likes Spoils. Antisynergies with a purely money strategy due to the 3 or fewer treasures rule, but still not terrible - can turn a copper and a gold into province-tier coin.

I believe you could trash this and then gain it from the trash with Lurker. (EDIT: Actually, no that only works with Actions.)

This junks your deck after you call it, but unlike other Reserve cards you get to put this directly on your Tavern mat so overall it’s quite strong I think.

yeah like graverobber and rogue could also gain it from the trash too, but there's no way to get this directly from hand or deck to the tavern mat.

How would this interact with Graverobber?  I still don’t fully understand the Stop Moving rule.
actually looks like Graverobber would put it on your deck, not on the tavern mat; so Graverobber wouldn't work. Tested with Sculptor (gain to hand) + Nomad Camp (gain to topdeck) on dominion dot games - it gained to hand.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 12:40:00 pm »
+2

took Gubump's "this means no reserves, right?" as an additional design challenge and came up with:

+1 Buy
-

During your Buy phase, if you have 3 or fewer Treasures in play and you have not doubled your $ yet this turn, you may call this to double your $.

One shot miniature fortune that becomes a junk card in your deck after use. There is no way to return it to the tavern mat without first returning it to the supply (that I've thought of, anyhow).
Kind of a throwback to the first string of WDC contests, getting creative about how to get things to the tavern mat.

Has some synergies with peddlers/markets/etc; really likes Spoils. Antisynergies with a purely money strategy due to the 3 or fewer treasures rule, but still not terrible - can turn a copper and a gold into province-tier coin.

I believe you could trash this and then gain it from the trash with Lurker. (EDIT: Actually, no that only works with Actions.)

This junks your deck after you call it, but unlike other Reserve cards you get to put this directly on your Tavern mat so overall it’s quite strong I think.

yeah like graverobber and rogue could also gain it from the trash too, but there's no way to get this directly from hand or deck to the tavern mat.

How would this interact with Graverobber?  I still don’t fully understand the Stop Moving rule.
actually looks like Graverobber would put it on your deck, not on the tavern mat; so Graverobber wouldn't work. Tested with Sculptor (gain to hand) + Nomad Camp (gain to topdeck) on dominion dot games - it gained to hand.

Right. My understanding has always been that if Card A gains Card B, then Card A's gain instruction takes precedence over Card B's.

For example: from the wiki for Graverobber:

If the card would be gained into your hand, such as Guardian, Ghost Town, Night Watchman, or Den of Sin, it is gained onto your deck instead.

What about changing the wording to be "When you gain this, you may put it on your Tavern mat."

In this way, it would happen after the gain, wherever it went to. (similar to Watchtower)

Note, with this phasing, it can alos be made optional to give it another use - late in a game the +Buy may actually be more useful to you than the doubling. So you could gain this to your hand with Armory, for example, to buy the last two Provinces.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 01:20:22 pm »
+3

(I'm going on the assumption that giving negative feedback is more okay for cards that everyone else likes.) This seems quite similar to Cavalry since both cards are Moat effect on-play and on-gain. The difference is that this card delays the on-gain effect whereas Cavalry has that instantly but delays the on-play effect -- which seems to me like the more interesting way to do it.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 01:38:56 pm »
+5

My current submission: a sort of "Stockpile/innovation" variant.

Ie, it gives you the powerful benefit of being able to play a card you get NOW, but with the cost of exiling itself. Similar to Stockpile, if you can somehow get back your Quickdeal, you could get a lot of extra coin that way as well.

A couple of things: "Exile" should be capitalized (see Sanctuary). Also, "you may Exile this to set it aside. If you do, play it." is confusing in this context. When I first read it I thought "it" referred to Quickdeal, which got Exiled, then set aside, then played. I think default reading of "it" is the thing you are currently talking about, in this case "this" or Quickdeal.  I would suggest "...when you gain a card, you may Exile this to set that card aside. If you do, play it."

The "it"s seem to be multiplying. I can work through what you're doing, but as the card's wording is now I think it would trash copies of Wooden Spikes, not the card you gained. You might try "...to reveal your hand and trash all revealed copies of that card."

You also might consider taking out the "you may first" language, which I don't think is necessary for the card to work (see Falconer), and without it can be used to trash cards you gain to your hand, either from a Torturer attack or using Sleigh.

Brazier (Action, $5)

+3 Cards
---
While this is in play, when you finish playing an Action and it's still in play,
you may trash it for +1VP.

Turn your Action cards into VP tokens once you're done with them. You can even self-immolate if you want. Of course, you need extra actions if you want to trash other Action cards...

Here, again, I think the "it's" is hard to understand from the card's text. I know from your comments that "it" refers to the Action card just played, but because you earlier talked about Brazier being in play, one might think that "it" is Brazier. You might try "While this is in play, directly after you finish playing an Action card, if that Action card is still in play, you may trash that Action card for +1VP." (See Royal Carriage).

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 01:40:14 pm »
+2

+1 Buy
-

Right. My understanding has always been that if Card A gains Card B, then Card A's gain instruction takes precedence over Card B's.

If the card would be gained into your hand, such as Guardian, Ghost Town, Night Watchman, or Den of Sin, it is gained onto your deck instead.

What about changing the wording to be "When you gain this, you may put it on your Tavern mat."

In this way, it would happen after the gain, wherever it went to. (similar to Watchtower)

Note, with this phasing, it can alos be made optional to give it another use - late in a game the +Buy may actually be more useful to you than the doubling. So you could gain this to your hand with Armory, for example, to buy the last two Provinces.

One thing I'd like to point out: All of those official cards, including Nomad Camp, say "this is gained to [location] (instead of your discard pile)." You can't do X instead of Y if Y never happens. Whereas Profits just says "this is gained to your Tavern mat," period. I could see the argument that it's because of the "instead of your discard pile" that Sculptor and Graverobber override gain locations.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 01:48:42 pm »
+1

My current submission: a sort of "Stockpile/innovation" variant.

Ie, it gives you the powerful benefit of being able to play a card you get NOW, but with the cost of exiling itself. Similar to Stockpile, if you can somehow get back your Quickdeal, you could get a lot of extra coin that way as well.

This has some interesting possibilities. With Ferry (or Princess or two Highways) and one of these in play, you could pile the rest of them, buying one, Exiling the one you have in play, playing the one you just bought, and using the $2 and +Buy to buy another one and repeat the process. When you bought the last one you could discard most of them from Exile (or maybe even all of them; I know you can play a reaction card even when the thing you are reacting to was what caused you to draw that card; I don't know if the discard-from-Exile response works the same way). Alternatively, with Vineyard or Tower, you could leave them in Exile and they would be stored away and potential worth a fair amount of VP. You could also do this to end the game if you were ahead and there were already two empty piles.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 02:02:32 pm »

The "it"s seem to be multiplying. I can work through what you're doing, but as the card's wording is now I think it would trash copies of Wooden Spikes, not the card you gained. You might try "...to reveal your hand and trash all revealed copies of that card."

You also might consider taking out the "you may first" language, which I don't think is necessary for the card to work (see Falconer), and without it can be used to trash cards you gain to your hand, either from a Torturer attack or using Sleigh.

Too right. The wording could be clearer, and I'll definitely jump on any occasion to make it so. So with that:
  • Removed the "first", even though this means you can draw into the Curse you just gained to trash it now.
  • Changed a "it" into "the gained card" (so if you trashed it via Watchtower, you didn't gain the card, and the Reaction doesn't allow you to trash anymore).
  • Placed the "from it" right next to "your hand", to make it more obvious that said "it" refers to the aforementioned "hand".
  • Finally, added a "then", to make it more obvious that you draw before trashing.
Thank you for your suggestions! :)
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2021, 02:12:05 pm »

+1 Buy
-

One thing I'd like to point out: All of those official cards, including Nomad Camp, say "this is gained to [location] (instead of your discard pile)." You can't do X instead of Y if Y never happens. Whereas Profits just says "this is gained to your Tavern mat," period. I could see the argument that it's because of the "instead of your discard pile" that Sculptor and Graverobber override gain locations.

I mean, I'm fine with there being fewer "useful" ways to gain it. Doubling your money is already pretty exploitable, there doesn't need to be ways to do it over and over with this.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 02:59:25 pm »
+5

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2021, 03:14:31 pm »
+1

Horse Racers - $6*
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
-
During your turn, if you have no Coppers or Horse Racers in play, this costs $2 less. Otherwise, when you buy this, gain a Horse.

A Lab variant with a variable cost. The Horse gain only happens if you buy Horse Racers and you have either Copper or Horse Racers in play, so you are not getting the discount. Some concerns I have are the strong interaction with Workshop and their variants. The hope is that it would be mitigated by losing the discount if you play Horse Racers. I could just resolve this by limiting the below line to only be in effect during the buy phase, but I wanted to see what people thought of this version. Another lesser concern is the strong interaction with remodelers, but I kind of like that. Feedback is appreciated as always.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2021, 04:59:51 pm »
+1

(I'm going on the assumption that giving negative feedback is more okay for cards that everyone else likes.) This seems quite similar to Cavalry since both cards are Moat effect on-play and on-gain. The difference is that this card delays the on-gain effect whereas Cavalry has that instantly but delays the on-play effect -- which seems to me like the more interesting way to do it.

Thank you for the critique. I don't agree with you, though. I think this will play very differently from Cavalry, because setting up your next turn is very different from giving your current turn a boost. Also, Cavalry is a delayed Smithy on-play, not a delayed Moat.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 05:45:15 pm »
+1

Thank you for the critique. I don't agree with you, though. I think this will play very differently from Cavalry, because setting up your next turn is very different from giving your current turn a boost. Also, Cavalry is a delayed Smithy on-play, not a delayed Moat.

Since they don't take a card slot from your hand, neither Moat nor Cavalry are Moats on-gain, they're Smithies. Cavalry gives +2 handsize on gain, same as a Smithy on-play. Likewise, Eager Hound gives a delayed +2 handsize on gain.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 06:56:18 pm »
+2

This should be a giant dog.

My vote is for Eager hound because it's a doggie.
(Take note for when I eventually get to judge one of these contests.)

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 08:22:25 pm »

It's funny, my mind immediately went to Lackeys with a delayed 2 cards on buy rather than 2 Actions. The difference in mechanic that delivers the bonus helps it feel fresh though.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2021, 09:23:46 pm »
+4

Here is my second attempt at a card:

It's a smithy, except it gets you one extra card this turn and one fewer card next turn. Playing multiple of them per turn is probably the best way to go (only 1 -1 card token).

EDIT: Removed the capitalization from token, added spaces between some lines, and added a name thanks to Gubump.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:21:43 pm by BBobb »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:57:04 pm by spheremonk »

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 03:41:40 am »
+1

Burglar - $2
Night/Reaction

+1 Buy
+$2
+1 Coffers
-
When you gain a Victory card, you may play this from your hand.

Workshops love this. I also like this a lot: It makes gaining estates a lot more viable. I imagine this is nuts in a shepherd/groom kingdom. I like the creative use of Night/reaction.
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2021, 04:39:27 pm »

Wait. What? You mean like this?

NOoooo, please, no
(where's the puking emoji?)

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2021, 07:54:47 pm »
+2

Wait. What? You mean like this?

NOoooo, please, no
(where's the puking emoji?)
honestly a snoop dogg guest appearance in dominion wouldn't surprise me at all. He's showing up on martha stewart, trailer park boys, essentially just doing sidequests. Still, I'm surprised the snoop dogg card doesn't involve green.

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2021, 11:45:02 pm »
+2

You have to react with "Did somebody say..."

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2021, 03:18:00 am »

I don't get it.

Mahowrath

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:02 am »

I don't get it.

He recently did a rap for a brand with that catchphrase. He says it himself halfway through. (Warning: advertising)

Replace the brand name with "Draw 3", and that's what I'd say reacting with this every game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.