Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back  (Read 12831 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
+9

Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back
Design a card with only vanilla bonuses above the dividing line but with anything you wish below it.
Examples of official cards that fulfill this include Highway, Nomad Camp, Haggler, Moat, Spices, Nobles, and Cemetery.
It must have some below line text, so nothing that's full on vanilla.
Vanilla bonuses are +Cards, +Actions, +Buys, +$, +Coffers, +Villagers, +Victory Tokens, and static Victory Points.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:47:26 pm by spineflu »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #106
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 03:32:08 pm »

Examples of official cards that fulfill this include . . . Nobles . . .

Does this mean that the "Choose one:" mechanic used in Nobles counts as a vanilla bonus if all of the choices are vanilla? Would that also apply to Durations mechanics? Things dependent on a Journey token?

Or did you mean for the 2VP to be considered the "above the line" portion of Nobles?
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 04:41:35 pm »
+2

I assume Reserve cards are off the table because of the "put this on your Tavern mat" in the top half?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 04:54:26 pm »
+2

Would this qualify?

I still need to think about the balance.  It's a bit sad in Kingdoms without additional gains so I might also tweak it to account for that.

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 05:04:36 pm »
+1

I would assume that it does considering he said Cemetery is also allowed.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:36:50 pm »
+4

My previous entry needed to avoid infinite loops but couldn't do so cleanly or clearly enough, so here's a much simpler entry.

Note that since it says "a Lair," if you draw another Lair with the Reaction, you can't React with the second Lair because you already revealed "a Lair."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:32:23 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 05:45:33 pm »
+6

took Gubump's "this means no reserves, right?" as an additional design challenge and came up with:

Profits • $5 • Treasure - Reserve
+1 Buy
-
This is gained to your Tavern mat.

During your Buy phase, if you have 3 or fewer Treasures in play and you have not doubled your $ yet this turn, you may call this to double your $.

One shot miniature fortune that becomes a junk card in your deck after use. There is no way to return it to the tavern mat without first returning it to the supply (that I've thought of, anyhow).
Kind of a throwback to the first string of WDC contests, getting creative about how to get things to the tavern mat.

Has some synergies with peddlers/markets/etc; really likes Spoils. Antisynergies with a purely money strategy due to the 3 or fewer treasures rule, but still not terrible - can turn a copper and a gold into province-tier coin.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:05:34 am by spineflu »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #106: Business In The Front, Party In The Back
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 05:54:29 pm »
+7

edit: nerfed
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:01:08 pm by pubby »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 06:13:36 pm »
+1

<Panner>
I like it, but I think it needs to cost $5 unless you put a limit on what action you can gain.

My entry:
Bridge Builder
$6 - Action
+3 Cards.
-
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less.

(I have submitted this to a contest before a while back, but since then, I've played with it several times and have confirmed that it plays well IMO.)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 06:34:38 pm »

Even with LibraryAdventurer's suggestion of making this cost , I definitely don't think you should be able to get free King's Courts or Goonses (how would you pluralize Goons, since each copy is a Goons?) with this.

Also, nitpick: +Buys come before +.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 07:07:54 pm »
+1

It's not really free Goons/KC because those decks don't want lots of (if any) treasures in them. But I think you and LibraryAdventurer are right: the card is too strong.

I posted an updated version that only gives $1 and no +Buy. Thinking about it, having +Buy is too crazy at ending the game on 3 piles. One can stack the effect and spend their buys on Coppers and gain a bazillion actions on their last turn. Without +Buy, it's much more reasonable to play with. And by only giving $1, I hope it's balanced enough to cost $4.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 10:24:47 pm »
+13

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 01:23:58 am »
+2

FANATICS - $4
ACTION
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
------------------
While this is in play, you can't buy cards.

A stupid powerful village/double-lab, but with a huge drawback. The strength/effectiveness of this card is definitely dependent on what other cards/Events are in the Kingdom. To that end, I randomized 10 Kingdoms, and 9 of them had at least some fairly useful gaining and/or remodling, enough to make the card playable, and about half had some very strong options.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 03:39:26 am »

It's not really free Goons/KC because those decks don't want lots of (if any) treasures in them. But I think you and LibraryAdventurer are right: the card is too strong.

I posted an updated version that only gives $1 and no +Buy. Thinking about it, having +Buy is too crazy at ending the game on 3 piles. One can stack the effect and spend their buys on Coppers and gain a bazillion actions on their last turn. Without +Buy, it's much more reasonable to play with. And by only giving $1, I hope it's balanced enough to cost $4.

I think removing the +Buy is a sufficient nerf.  Giving $2 instead of $1 isn't a huge benefit without additional support, and gives the card a bit more versatility as a terminal Silver. 

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 05:00:59 am »
+7

Sensei
Action - $5
+3 Cards
____
While this is in play, when you play an Action card, you may get +3 Cards instead of following its instructions
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 07:29:27 pm by NoMoreFun »

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2021, 08:53:27 am »
+3

Cloakroom - $1
Action

+1 Buy
+$1
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, Exile a card from your hand, and gain a Copper

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2021, 09:04:47 am »
+6

Look! In the kingdom! It's a wood cutter! It's innovation! no, it's Quick Deal!

Ie, it gives you the powerful benefit of being able to play a card you get NOW, but with the cost of exiling itself. Similar to Stockpile, if you can somehow get back your Quickdeal, you could get a lot of extra coin that way as well.

Edit 1: A wording change to make it more understandable (tnx emtzalex)

Edit2: Gubump and some others pointed out autopile potential of this card. I think i decided that i dont want it to autopile itself, so im adding command type to this.

Edit3: wording changes

Edit4: further wording changes, to make it clearer
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 02:51:48 pm by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2021, 09:05:49 am »

edit: nerfed

Bridge Builder
$6 - Action
+3 Cards.
-
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less.

Sensei
Action - $5
+3 Cards
____
While this is in play, when you play an Action card, you may get +3 Cards instead of following its instructions
It is worth noting that Donald X. has recently moved away from "while in play" effects. I think any of the above would probably be phrased with the current "for the rest of this turn" wording (which of course isn't applicable for this contest). I think it would be could if the judge weighed in on what their view of such "while in play" effects  is.

FANATICS - $4
ACTION
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
------------------
While this is in play, you can't buy cards.
This one is a bit of a special case, where the "while in play" is more justified I think.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 10:00:46 am »
+4

Oof, already so many good entries. This is going to be a tough one. Still, I'll attempt something:

Too good compared to Sheepdog? Too decent of a trasher? Perhaps. I like the idea of it, though.

A funny "anti-Curser" though, lol.

Edit: Updated the wording to be clearer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:57:50 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2021, 10:56:26 am »

Oof, already so many good entries. This is going to be a tough one. Still, I'll attempt something:

Too good compared to Sheepdog? Too decent of a trasher? Perhaps. I like the idea of it, though.

A funny "anti-Curser" though, lol.

do you get the +2 Cards when you play it also?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 11:03:15 am »
+1

do you get the +2 Cards when you play it also?

Yes. In fact, you must draw 2 cards before you reveal your hand for the trashing.
Bottom text

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:24 am »
+6

Burglar - $2
Night/Reaction

+1 Buy
+$2
+1 Coffers
-
When you gain a Victory card, you may play this from your hand.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:22:42 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 11:22:19 am »
+1

took Gubump's "this means no reserves, right?" as an additional design challenge and came up with:

+1 Buy
-

During your Buy phase, if you have 3 or fewer Treasures in play and you have not doubled your $ yet this turn, you may call this to double your $.

One shot miniature fortune that becomes a junk card in your deck after use. There is no way to return it to the tavern mat without first returning it to the supply (that I've thought of, anyhow).
Kind of a throwback to the first string of WDC contests, getting creative about how to get things to the tavern mat.

Has some synergies with peddlers/markets/etc; really likes Spoils. Antisynergies with a purely money strategy due to the 3 or fewer treasures rule, but still not terrible - can turn a copper and a gold into province-tier coin.

I believe you could trash this and then gain it from the trash with Lurker. (EDIT: Actually, no that only works with Actions.)

This junks your deck after you call it, but unlike other Reserve cards you get to put this directly on your Tavern mat so overall it’s quite strong I think.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:23:53 am by Timinou »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 11:30:51 am »

+1 Buy
-

I believe you could trash this and then gain it from the trash with Lurker. (EDIT: Actually, no that only works with Actions.)

This junks your deck after you call it, but unlike other Reserve cards you get to put this directly on your Tavern mat so overall it’s quite strong I think.

yeah like graverobber and rogue could also gain it from the trash too, but there's no way to get this directly from hand or deck to the tavern mat.
edit: not graverobber, that'll put it on your deck. bad news.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 12:11:48 pm by spineflu »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 11:36:02 am »

+1 Buy
-

yeah like graverobber and rogue could also gain it from the trash too, but there's no way to get this directly from hand or deck to the tavern mat.

How would this interact with Graverobber?  I still don’t fully understand the Stop Moving rule.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.887 seconds with 21 queries.