Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #105: Attack with Choices  (Read 17068 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +481
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #105: Attack with Choices
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2021, 02:17:52 pm »
+2

Conclusion
As a side note that doesn’t have any impact on my assessment of the card you present, I am curious how it come that you sometimes come up with early versions of cards that look like border line crap, but soon after you present a version that looks amazingly better.

Yay i got third place!

To answer your question: i find that trying to come up with the "perfect card" doesnt really work for me. So what i do is: See the contest theme; Generate different card ideas, in this case 4; Share the most interesting ones on the Dominion discord variant server; GET A LOT OF FEEDBACK/thoughts; Edit the heck out of the cards based on the feedback; At this point in the process, post the current version here; Update here as i change the  card; ping pong between feedback and editing and posting here, i often update the card during the week, so the first version here can be said to have "2 days thoughts" on it, while the final submitted version can be said to have "5 days thought" on it.

I do it this way because im quite ditzy, and i just kinda get stuck on the crap phase otherwise: In a way im utilizing the collective Variant brainpower, as ive gotten feedback from RTT, Spineflue, Carline, and uhhh like lots of other people. Is this cheating btw?

Anyway, for some reason your questioning there made me laugh, lol!
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2021, 02:47:11 pm »
+3

Thanks for the win! I'll have the next contest up shortly.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2021, 04:32:28 pm »
+3

I find that trying to come up with the "perfect card" doesnt really work for me. So what i do is: See the contest theme; Generate different card ideas, in this case 4; Share the most interesting ones on the Dominion discord variant server; GET A LOT OF FEEDBACK/thoughts; Edit the heck out of the cards based on the feedback; At this point in the process, post the current version here; Update here as i change the  card; ping pong between feedback and editing and posting here, i often update the card during the week, so the first version here can be said to have "2 days thoughts" on it, while the final submitted version can be said to have "5 days thought" on it.

I do it this way because im quite ditzy, and i just kinda get stuck on the crap phase otherwise: In a way im utilizing the collective Variant brainpower, as ive gotten feedback from RTT, Spineflue, Carline, and uhhh like lots of other people. Is this cheating btw?
Don't worry, it's not cheating.
I'm a fantasy writer, and this is pretty similar to the way writing stories works, and I still get to put my name on the book :)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2021, 04:46:07 pm »
+1

Wow, I'm quite humbled by this, even getting runner-up! Thank you so much gambit! If wording and rules questions arose about the Curse typing, that could have amounted to points taken off.

It's not hard at all to add 'or Rook' to the text on Redoubt, but what would happen with say Mountebank itself? Could you discard Rooks to it? Maybe Rook would have a rulebook note to say treat it like the card called Curse.

Congrats D7, I see the appeal behind your design too.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2021, 02:39:22 pm »

My latest idea: what if it worked as a pseudo Way (and it's cost could probably change to $3 or maybe $4):

Move your Cursing token to an Action Supply pile.
(During your turns, cards from this pile are also Attacks,
and when you play one, either follow its instructions
 or each other player gains a Curse.)

From your various suggestions, I like the first one the most. The advantage is that there is a correlation between the copy number of the selected card in a player’s deck and the ability for Cursing. If Bewitch is cheap enough, it will also encourage players a bit more to switch the target pile during the game when the deck composition changes over time. How about the following instructions:

Move your Cursing token to an Action Supply pile. When you
   play a card from that pile, choose one: Follow its instructions;   
or play it as an Attack with "Each other player gains a Curse."

Would that be clear enough? It fits in 3 lines, though the font is a bit tinier. The wording is partially from the newest version of Inheritance. It is not printed yet as far as I know, but the digital version from Dominion online is available on the wiki site.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2021, 03:13:10 pm »

It's not hard at all to add 'or Rook' to the text on Redoubt, but what would happen with say Mountebank itself? Could you discard Rooks to it? Maybe Rook would have a rulebook note to say treat it like the card called Curse.

I would limit the Rook defense to Redoubt. The good thing is that Rook is the Heirloom of Redoubt and thus they are always together in the same games. If you would do it that way you don't need the Curse type, and maybe can also change the purple color to green. If you want to extent Rook’s defense to other Cursers, it would be better to make that clear in the instructions of Rook (not just by color and card type), though it might get a bit too wordy. But that is just my opinion.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2021, 07:33:08 pm »
+1

Just Wow! The feedback you gave is amazing!

I truely wish, I had submitted a card. I was just like 2 hours late for the party unfortunately...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:39:00 pm by Rhodos »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2021, 09:28:44 pm »

My latest idea: what if it worked as a pseudo Way (and it's cost could probably change to $3 or maybe $4):

Move your Cursing token to an Action Supply pile.
(During your turns, cards from this pile are also Attacks,
and when you play one, either follow its instructions
 or each other player gains a Curse.)

From your various suggestions, I like the first one the most. The advantage is that there is a correlation between the copy number of the selected card in a player’s deck and the ability for Cursing. If Bewitch is cheap enough, it will also encourage players a bit more to switch the target pile during the game when the deck composition changes over time. How about the following instructions:

Move your Cursing token to an Action Supply pile. When you
   play a card from that pile, choose one: Follow its instructions;   
or play it as an Attack with "Each other player gains a Curse."

Would that be clear enough? It fits in 3 lines, though the font is a bit tinier. The wording is partially from the newest version of Inheritance. It is not printed yet as far as I know, but the digital version from Dominion online is available on the wiki site.

I agree this functionality is the best, if it weren't for being 4 lines. The issue I see with your suggestion is that you're back to the issue I had with v0.1, where some cards of that pile are Attacks, while others are not, and there are ways to shuffle the played way into your deck (albeit combos) that could make it ambiguous.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.