Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #105: Attack with Choices  (Read 16894 times)

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest #105: Attack with Choices
« on: February 15, 2021, 04:58:00 am »
+5

Weekly Design Contest #105: Attack with Choices

Design a card that allows the player and/or the opponents to choose between different options.

Example for a player’s choice: Werewolf. A player can use it for drawing or for attacking the other players. This is in my opinion a clever design that combines two seemingly unrelated aspects: Helping your own play versus affecting the play of the other players.

Example for opponent’s choice: Torturer. The attacked players have to decide whether they get junked or whether they start their next turn with a reduced number of cards in their hand. I like the English phrase “caught between a rock and a hard place” to describe the concept of Torturer, although the German phrase (literal translation) “having to choose between plaque and cholera” isn’t bad either.

Giant wouldn’t count in this contest as it doesn't give choices, but rather alternates between attacking and not attacking via the Journey token.

Criteria for judging your cards

Interaction and fun: Don’t create the most brutal attack the Dominion world has ever seen, but rather try to find a clever way that gives the players something to think about. It doesn’t matter much if your card will be dominating games as long as there is a high player interaction. Fun in connection with attack can be sort of misleading, but coming back to the official cards that I have mentioned above: It is fun (for me) to have a card that can be used as an engine component a la Werewolf, but if desired (or forced) for some reason, can be also used to interfere with the game flow of the player’s opponents. In the case of Torturer it is fun (game-wise) to see how the attacked players decide on which pill is less bitter to swallow.

Concept: Probably the major criterion of my judgement. A card that offers a clever and novel concept will score well. If for example just its cost is out of place, it will score better than a well-priced card with an apparently boring concept. Of course, in the end a clever card without flaws (if I am able to find them) will beat a clever card with some flaws, even if minor.

Balance: I try my best to evaluate your card in this respect, but I will probably only figure out whether cards are way too powerful or clearly too weak and not any subtleties. If during the (hopefully upcoming) discussion of your card, someone points out an overwhelming interaction with just one or two official cards, don’t worry. If it is however very likely that hyper-strong combos with official cards are available in a lot of games, better think about some changes of your card.

Text length: Don’t create a card with a wall of text if not necessary. Giving choices comes with a certain text length, but don’t exaggerate it. Don’t misunderstand me here. If you design a clever concept that needs 8 lines of text and every word is worth it and needed, so be it and there will be no penalty for this. However, if you just put a bunch of random options together, resulting in 7 lines of text for example, it will definitely get minus points.

Flavor: Not much to say about this. Just coming back to the examples of the official cards: Torturer has a nice flavor, fitting very well to the card instructions. Werewolf's flavor is to do something productive as a normal person (a blacksmith apparently) during the day and transforming to something evil in the Night.

Submission and deadline

The newest version of your card should be at the top of your first entry (not counting your replies to cards of other people of course). It is helpful when you mention changes of your card in later replies that are related to your card design. If I don’t understand the mechanics of your card and nobody else asked, I will ask about this. If I think your card is not eligible for this contest, I will let you know. Don’t hesitate to ask if something is unclear about the requirements of this contest round.

Depending on the number of entries, the number of late card changes/submissions and things that happen in my real life outside of Dominion, I will give a 24 hours warning in about 6 days (Sunday, 21st February). Then I probably need quite some time for the evaluation of your cards after closure of the card submissions. As it has become a helpful habit, I will list your card submissions sometimes around the warning message for submissions. So, in your own interest, please check it in about 6 days.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #105: Attack with Choices
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:34 am »
+3

Warlock
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $5
+3 Cards.  Choose a card in the Supply or reveal a card from your hand costing at most $3: Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a copy of it, or reveals they can't.  Each other player who didn't discard a copy of it gains a copy of it.
Warlock is a drawing Curser with extra abilities.  I've actually played with this thing before, and it tends to begin by hitting Coppers to try to hold down other players' decks before shifting to Cursing.

You select a card and each other player with 5 cards in hand discards a copy of it, so you can slap Coppers, Silvers, and Villages out of players' hands.  If a player either doesn't have a copy of it to discard, or has 4 or fewer cards in hand, they gain a copy of the chosen card.  When hitting multiple players, You can't so easily target a player in 3+player games because it gives copies of cards to players that don't have them: You hit a Village out of one player's hand, but give another player a Village.
It is limited to cards costing at most $3 so you can't try to hand Provinces to players to force a game-end, nor unduly target players with Golds.

I'd appreciate help wording this to be clearer and more succinct, if it isn't sufficiently so already.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:29:31 am »
+7

Shaman - $3
Action/Attack

+$2
Each other player with Bewitched gains a Curse.
Each player without Bewitched takes it or discards a card from their hand, their choice.
Bewitched
State

At the start of your turn, return this for +1 Action.
Yes, the second part of the attack also applies to the player who played Shaman. They can give themselves another Action next turn.... if they dare.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:43:59 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:02:17 am »
+3

Just in case anyone is annoyed about the strange Font types the Card Image Generator from Violet CLM & Shard of Honor produces nowadays: DunnoItAll has found a simple fix.

Here is the direct link:

https://cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/https://shemitz.net/static/dominion3/

It's a simple click. I've done it 4 days ago and it still works.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 01:51:30 pm »
+2

I'd appreciate help wording this to be clearer and more succinct, if it isn't sufficiently so already.

+3 Cards
Choose a card in the Supply or reveal a card from your hand costing at most $3: Each other player discards a copy of it if they have 5 or more cards in hand, or reveals they can't and gains a copy of it.

changes the functionality a little in that you get to see hands with <5 cards, but is more succinct with the gain clause. should mostly only matter for patron (a benefit for the person revealing) and maybe masquerade (a benefit to see if it's worth it to masq)

New Entry

Muster • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Each other player chooses an option: They take their -1 Card and -$1 Tokens; or you gain a Horse and a Spoils. (They may choose an option that can't be done).

At the start of your next turn, +$2

This was inspired by helping Fika_Monster workshop an earlier iteration of their entry the other day in the discord. h/t to emtzalex for the wording suggestion.

EDIT: Withdrawn:

Brazier • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Until the start of your next turn, when another player buys a card, they choose: they gain a Copper, or each player that isn't them gets +1 Coffers.

During your next turn, +1 Buy and Copper makes $1 more.

Coppersmith junker/duration-attack. Scales uh interestingly. Not married to the idea / open to feedback.

Hey gambit05: does mountebank count as an attack-with-choice? like, is it still a choice if the choice is a no-brainer that you'd always take if you could?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:54:56 pm by spineflu »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 02:04:14 pm »
+2

Valkyrie (Action-Attack, $5)

+3 Cards

Each other player takes Jinxed.

Jinxed (State)

At the start of your turn, return this and choose one: -1 Action, -1 Buy, or gain a Curse.

There is one copy of Jinxed per player.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »
+2

Question: Does the card have to have the "Attack" type? For instance, would Masquerade count, here?
Bottom text

gambit05

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 03:51:05 pm »
+2

Hey gambit05: does mountebank count as an attack-with-choice? like, is it still a choice if the choice is a no-brainer that you'd always take if you could?

Yes, Mountebank would count, but I wouldn't give it a high score.

Question: Does the card have to have the "Attack" type? For instance, would Masquerade count, here?

Good question and difficult to answer. For simplicity I would say, Masquerade or any card without the Attack type do not count.
However, if you would label a Masquerade variant with the Attack type and each other player is potentially affected and has the possibility to react to it (Ill-Gotten Gains comes to my mind as being ineligible), I would count such a card.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 04:22:25 pm »
+2

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:35:04 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 06:39:21 pm »
+3

Warlock
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $5
+3 Cards.  Choose a card in the Supply or reveal a card from your hand costing at most $3: Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a copy of it, or reveals they can't.  Each other player who didn't discard a copy of it gains a copy of it.
Warlock is a drawing Curser with extra abilities.  I've actually played with this thing before, and it tends to begin by hitting Coppers to try to hold down other players' decks before shifting to Cursing.

Really? That seems counterintuitive. Wouldn't you want to start handing out Curses right away? It's a much stronger attack, after all, and there are a limited number of Curses to hand out.

Yes, Mountebank would count, but I wouldn't give it a high score.

I think even Militia would count, since they have to choose which cards to discard. But again, it wouldn't get a high score.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 06:41:22 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 07:34:37 pm »
+4

Boggart - $5
Action - Attack - Fate - Doom
+$2
Reveal the top 2 Hexes and 2 Boons. Pair each Hex with a Boon. Each other player chooses and receives one of the Hexes. Then, choose and receive one Boon paired with a chosen Hex. Discard all revealed Hexes and Boons.

This is a card that tries to create interesting choices for every player. Tried to make it scale properly, but I am not confident with the wording. I also am not sure if the +1 Card base is the right choice, but it felt pretty weak at only giving you a Boon and each other player a Hex of their choice. Suggestions on wording and top part changes would be appreciated.

Edit: Changed the +1 Card to +$2 to try and speed up resolution time. Thanks to Fragasnap for the feedback.

Edit 2: Limited the potential Boon payout to one. This may add to the resolution time, but hopefully not that much. Thanks to Gubump for feedback.

Old Versions
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:46:01 pm by Xen3k »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 08:59:11 pm »

Updated:

STINGY WITCH - $5
ACTION - ATTACK
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each other player discards a card from hand, draws until they have 4 cards in hand, then either gains three Coppers, putting one of them in hand, or gains a Curse to their hand, their choice. (They may pick an option they can't do.)

Old Version (withdrawn):

STINGY WITCH - $5
ACTION - ATTACK
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Each other player either gains a Copper onto their deck or gains a Curse, their choice.
(They may pick an option they can't do.)
[/size]

You want her to give you what? Cards? COINS? You've got to be kidding. Do you know how much newt eyes cost these days? You're lucky she'll (maybe) curse your enemies.

Being a cantrip creates the potential to bury your opponents in Copper, until or unless they decide they're fed up with it and just eat the Curses. Once they do, and the Curses run out, you might regret having bought too many of these.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:53:03 pm by emtzalex »
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 09:59:18 pm »
+1

STINGY WITCH - $5
ACTION - ATTACK
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Each other player either gains a Copper onto their deck or gains a Curse, their choice.
(They may pick an option they can't do.)

You want her to give you what? Cards? COINS? You've got to be kidding. Do you know how much newt eyes cost these days? You're lucky she'll (maybe) curse your enemies.

Being a cantrip creates the potential to bury your opponents in Copper, until or unless they decide they're fed up with it and just eat the Curses. Once they do, and the Curses run out, you might regret having bought too many of these.

Cantrip attacks are very difficult to make balanced and make fun, more so with one that could stack junk ontop of the deck. Overall I like the idea between choosing to make your next turn worse but the junk is not a Curse and gaining curses, but this card can become very oppressive and centralizing. At the very least I would suggest tacking on the "discard the top card of your deck" bit of Sea Hag when a player chooses to get a Copper onto their deck. Without the Copper option this is a non-Potion Familiar which sounds terribly unfun. I like the idea, the attacks just seems really oppressive.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:34:57 pm by Xen3k »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 11:27:41 pm »
+5

edit: made it cheaper and better text
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:12:41 am by pubby »

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 11:33:00 pm »

I have a couple questions:
First, is this your choice or theirs?
Second, do you realize that this goes form fine in 2 player to utterly insane in 4-6 player?
Also, if it is your choice, do you realize you can block your opponents out from playing (by having 5 of these)?
If it is their choice, then I assume that they can choose a choice they can't do (which it should say), which makes these Coppers with a Buy after 3 plays?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 12:10:05 am »
+1

It works the same as Torturer, but I'll update the card text to make that clearer.

which makes these Coppers with a Buy after 3 plays?
Sure you can give your opponent your VP tokens and ignore the attack forever, but that's a 6 point VP swing.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 05:33:14 am »
+2

Im a bit of a mess this week, but here is my current submission: a pillage variant with a choice for the victims

This is probably broken in some way. but ill fix it later

Edit 2:
I simplified the card, as it was too wordy. this should contain the essence of it, and still have choice. now its always a "pillage away their best card, but increase their handsize by one"

Edit 3:
Wording change to buff it a bit.

Edit 4: added art, cleaned the wording a bit per BBobs suggestion, and buffed it to +3 cards.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:48:58 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 11:35:44 am »
+4

Ugh, words. Still, I wanna give this cantrip Attack (*gasp!*) a try. There's proooobably something broken in there, but, well, y'don't know 'til you try.
Bottom text

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 01:38:31 pm »
+1

utterly insane 4-6 player
Slightly harsh but I agree that you need to be slightly insane if you play Dominion with more than 4 players.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 02:25:22 pm »
+1

Here is how I would word it:

that's not adding anything that couldn't be covered in the rulebook FAQ other than a smaller font size, so i'm not going to take you up on that wording. There's something to be said for brevity.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 02:25:59 pm »
+1

{here-is-how-I-would-word-it sequence}

I endorse Sacked Town, Corrupt Middleman, Dowry, and Warlock.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 02:28:37 pm »

that's not adding anything that couldn't be covered in the rulebook FAQ other than a smaller font size, so i'm not going to take you up on that wording. There's something to be said for brevity.
If you don't want to follow my wording, that's fine. I'm just suggesting wordings to those who would like to change their cards to have the wordings that I think best follow official dominion cards (in this cards case, Torturer).

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 02:30:28 pm »
+1

If you don't want to follow my wording, that's fine. I'm just suggesting wordings to those who would like to change their cards to have the wordings that I think best follow official dominion cards (in this cards case, Torturer).

generally speaking, that's how choices in dominion work. the odds of running the entire copper pile (which is when the they could pick an option they can't do) are, frankly, low.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »
+1

Torturer‘s second edition wording is not necessary it all. It is rather a rule reminder because some folks played Torturer wrongly. Plus, as spineflu already said, Coppers are not going to run out.

It really helps to understand why official cards are worded like they are instead of treating them as holy word or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 02:41:15 pm by segura »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.