Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another Mechanic from my 2nd expansion  (Read 981 times)

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
Another Mechanic from my 2nd expansion
« on: February 06, 2021, 11:48:10 am »

The King and Queen. If we are the King or Queen of our Dominion, this is our big chance to get in the game!

King (Action, $6)
+$3
Choose one: +$1 per % on your Descendancy mat, or you may trash a card from your hand or discard pile and if you did, Exile a Queen from the supply.
-
At the start of clean-up, if you have exactly one copy each of King and Queen in play, +1% to your Descendancy mat.

Queen(Action-Duration, $6)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy

At the start of your next turn, if you have at least 2 Queens in Exile, +$1 per Queen you have in Exile.

The King and Queen will always be in a kingdom together.  If the King is selected, the Queen is included as an extra (likely 11th) kingdom card.

The idea is to either play the combo as a pair or use the King to run through a bunch of Queens and treat them as a commodity. When you get exactly one King and Queen in play together, the King gets more powerful. You can also use the King to Exile Queens, making the Queen a more powerful card.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Another Mechanic from my 2nd expansion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 01:52:59 pm »

Welp.

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 03:31:45 pm »
+1

Queens look quite good as super-Labs.  I feel like you really wouldn't want to keep Queens in Exile, and so I'm not sure if the Duration effect on Queen is really necessary.  More often than not, I'd rather discard them at the end of each turn rather than have them stay in play as a Duration for a next-turn bonus that is not that great.

If Camel Train is in the Kingdom, I would just skip King and use Camel Train to get a bunch of Queens into Exile until I'm able to gain one and get them all into my deck. 

King seems way too slow as a way to generate VP, especially since you need to play it with exactly one Queen and you generate at most 1VP per turn.  You're better off just using the option to trash and Exile some Queens.

I like cards that give you choices, but when one of those choices seems clearly better than the other, it feels overly complicated.  Not to mention this adds a new player mat, which I think would be redundant most of the time.

gambit05

• Minion
  • Respect: +495
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 03:45:10 pm »

I think too much is going on, especially with the King. I would simplify them, e.g.:

King
$6 – Action

+$3

Choose one: +$1 per 1 VP on your
   Descendancy mat; or Exile a Queen   
from the Supply.

At the start of Clean-up, for each
pair of King and Queen you have
in play,  add 1 VP to your
Descendancy mat.

Queen
$6 – Action - Duration

+$3

+2 Cards
+1 Action

At the start of your next turn,
   +$1 per Queen you have in Exile.   

I am not sure whether this is balanced (maybe it can be adjusted by different costs or minor additions), but I feel it looks much simpler and thus easier to play.
I think you don't need the dividing line in the text of King.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:24:45 pm »

Themewise, i feel like this kind of flies in the face of what we've had from royalty before, which is it plays more stuff (Prince, KC, Throne Room, Royal Carriage, Scepter, Crown, Procession, etc) or does cost reduction (Princess). +$ is more the realm of Duchesses, Barons, etc.

Mechanicswise, it doesn't feel like a good excuse to add an 11th Supply pile. Like that usually feels pretty earned with Young Witch or Looters (and varying degrees of success on potion-cost cards), but not as much here.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:27:19 pm by spineflu »

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:51:51 pm »

Thanks for the comments, guys.  I am going to keep reworking these.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.