Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Middle Ages (my fan expansion)  (Read 5106 times)

DunnoItAll

• Thief
  • Respect: +127
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Middle Ages (my fan expansion)
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2021, 01:56:41 pm »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 02:01:26 pm »

On a related note, why on earth do the fonts randomly change on the card generator app?

something about how chrome has permission to access/accesses fonts. in general: because copyright exists. secondary: because we don't have full control over how browsers interface with both our computer and the internet at large.

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 02:03:36 pm »

On a related note, why on earth do the fonts randomly change on the card generator app?

something about how chrome has permission to access/accesses fonts. in general: because copyright exists. secondary: because we don't have full control over how browsers interface with both our computer and the internet at large.

Bugger.  Happening to me on two different computers using two different browsers (edge and chrome on each computer) in two different states right now.  I thought I had the fonts installed locally, too.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2021, 02:06:34 pm »

I like the general idea of overpriced Wealth cards and an expensive Necropolis that combine into something that is better than Village or Lost City (better as the played cards can be played again).

But 3/4 of the Wealth cards are terminal and they totally suck if they can only be used for the this turn effect (or do the next turn effects of the discarded, formerly in-play Duration cards still happen?).

DunnoItAll

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 02:13:22 pm »

I like the general idea of overpriced Wealth cards and an expensive Necropolis that combine into something that is better than Village or Lost City (better as the played cards can be played again).

But 3/4 of the Wealth cards are terminal and they totally suck if they can only be used for the this turn effect (or do the next turn effects of the discarded, formerly in-play Duration cards still happen?).

Once discarded, there aren't (to my knowledege) any cards that continue to have an effect.  Bear in mind that in most kingdoms, only one of the wealth cards will be available.  It's possible to get more than one of them in a kingdom, of course, but that would be just random chance.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 03:34:43 pm »

I don't think there is anything objectively terrible about having a strictly-weaker-than-village-for-3$ card. There are a lot of cards in Magic the Gathering that are strictly weaker than other cards.

The reason it is bad for dominion is just that there is an explicit design principle that cards shouldn't be strictly better or worse than previous cards. Afaik, the only official cards that violate this are Candlestick Maker and the +1 Coffer, +1 Buy Treasure whose name I'm blanking on right now.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 03:44:38 pm »

Speaking of that:

This is strictly weaker than Festival since it's literally the same with +1 Action rather than +2 Actions.

And this:

is strictly stronger than Woodcutter. Maybe that's fine in this special case (since Woodcutter is a removed card, you can argue that this principle doesn't apply), but it's probably also too strong. The reason +2$, +1 Card hasn't been done is that there is a weak-ish design principle that terminals shouldn't draw a single card since that 'feels bad'. But +2$, +1 Card would be played at 3$ or 4$, and this card is much stronger than that.

"this hand" -> "this turn"?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 03:47:32 pm »

I don't think there is anything objectively terrible about having a strictly-weaker-than-village-for-3$ card. There are a lot of cards in Magic the Gathering that are strictly weaker than other cards.

The reason it is bad for dominion is just that there is an explicit design principle that cards shouldn't be strictly better or worse than previous cards. Afaik, the only official cards that violate this are Candlestick Maker and the +1 Coffer, +1 Buy Treasure whose name I'm blanking on right now.
Candlestick Maker would be better than Ducat if Ducat did not have the on-gain effect (but even then it would not be strictly better). As it stands, neither card is better or worse than the other in general.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2021, 03:49:51 pm »

Well, Ducat is not strictly-strictly stronger because yes sometimes you want to play Action cards to reduce handsize, but it's the same effect plus a Treasure so it can't be drawn dead plus an on-gain effect. Close enough to strictly stronger that I consider it a problem.

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1684
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2021, 04:06:51 pm »

Speaking of that:

This is strictly weaker than Festival since it's literally the same with +1 Action rather than +2 Actions.

It's not strictly weaker than Festival because of Village Guard. Village Guard enables Relief to draw, which is something Festival can't do. In fact, if Relief was functionally identical to Festival other than the name, it would actually be almost strictly better than Festival because of Village Guard (I say "almost" because you still have to first run out the Village Guards, which are strictly worse than Villages until you get Reliefs).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2021, 04:45:50 pm »

Ah yes I guess it's not safe to read only the cards with less text.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 12:26:54 am »

Well, Ducat is not strictly-strictly stronger because yes sometimes you want to play Action cards to reduce handsize, but it's the same effect plus a Treasure so it can't be drawn dead plus an on-gain effect. Close enough to strictly stronger that I consider it a problem.
There was a thread about it back in the day. In short, an Action is on average significantly better than a Treasure.
Fun illustration: I once had a game with CSM and Pathfinding.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:29:29 am by segura »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.