Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Wilderness  (Read 8443 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Dominion: Wilderness
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 07:34:22 pm »

If a player plays Declare, they can't play it again on their next turn, because it's already in play, right? Otherwise, they could just hog it for the whole game...
right, it'd still be in play and during clean up of their 2nd turn, it'd get returned, so the only way they could bogart it is if they were doing like outpost or mission turns with the sole purpose of bogarting declare.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 04:48:29 am »
+1

Wording Changes:

Craft:
Trash 2 cards from your hand. If both are were Resources, + and +2;. oOtherwise, gain 2 Resources.
For the first change, see Border Guard. For the change in punctuation, see Werewolf, Tormentor etc.

Hostile Village:
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
Trash a card you have in play that would be discarded at during Clean-up this turn.
See any card that talks about Clean-up e.g. Village Green.

Creed:

--------
When you trash a card, you may trash this from your hand for +1 per card you've trashed this turn.
See Fool's Gold

Ravage:
+
If there are any Resources left in the Supply, eEach other player discards a non-Victory card costing or more (or reveals they can't) if there are any Resources in the Supply . Those who do and if they did, they gain a Resource to their hand.
For the move of the "if", see cards like City. For the second change, see Soothsayer.

Ancient Ruins:
+1 Buy
Trash the top card of your deck for +2. Choose either +Cards, or + equal to its cost in one: +1 Card per is costs; or + per is costs.
I think it looks more like official Dominion cards.
Craft and Hostile Village: sure.
Creed: that was dumb of me.
Ravage: I wrote it how I did to try and be clear about stopping whenever the pile empties in the middle of the Attack. To me, rightly or wrongly, your version implies, 'first check there are any Resources in the Supply, then if there are, everyone discards'.
Ancient Ruins: yeah, your wording might be simpler, I chose what I did because I felt it was more elegant, with fewer $ symbols and no repetition.
(I look at such comparisons as Enchantress and Gatekeeper and see that Donald/whoever formats the cards isn't rigidly coded on how to structure the wording.)

And I confirm that what was concluded about Declare is correct. After one player finishes with it the player to the left can then use it, and if they do and play carries on like this, it's basically continuous. Just as long as this doesn't encourage mirror play too often...

Another reveal:

Insignia - Treasure Duration, $5 cost.
$1
At the start of your next turn, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. Discard the rest then play the Action.
Warband - Action Attack, $5 cost.
+3 Cards
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals the top card of their deck, reveals a card in their hands that shares a type (or reveals they can't), then puts the revealed cards onto their deck in any order.
Descend - Act
+2 Cards
Each other player gets +1VP.
Hire - Act Attack
Discard a Treasure. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card.

Insignia digs for an Action at the start of next turn, and it's a Treasure so it can't dig for itself.

Warband launches a random Attack on each opponent, depending on the top card of their deck.

Descend is a simple Act. Will you drop a point to play a Smithy?

Hire makes more of extra types on Acts. It's an Attack; whilst not a card in play, it is still 'playing an Attack card' for all the Moats, Lighthouses, Horse Traders, etc. Tell me that's convoluted and landscapes should never count as played cards.

I'll have to do the next reveal a while later than usual, as my computer screen has gone from funny to unusable.

Thanks again for your feedback!

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2021, 12:03:15 pm »

Wording Changes:

Craft:
Trash 2 cards from your hand. If both are were Resources, + and +2;. oOtherwise, gain 2 Resources.
For the first change, see Border Guard. For the change in punctuation, see Werewolf, Tormentor etc.

Hostile Village:
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
Trash a card you have in play that would be discarded at during Clean-up this turn.
See any card that talks about Clean-up e.g. Village Green.

Creed:

--------
When you trash a card, you may trash this from your hand for +1 per card you've trashed this turn.
See Fool's Gold

Ravage:
+
If there are any Resources left in the Supply, eEach other player discards a non-Victory card costing or more (or reveals they can't) if there are any Resources in the Supply . Those who do and if they did, they gain a Resource to their hand.
For the move of the "if", see cards like City. For the second change, see Soothsayer.

Ancient Ruins:
+1 Buy
Trash the top card of your deck for +2. Choose either +Cards, or + equal to its cost in one: +1 Card per is costs; or + per is costs.
I think it looks more like official Dominion cards.
Craft and Hostile Village: sure.
Creed: that was dumb of me.
Ravage: I wrote it how I did to try and be clear about stopping whenever the pile empties in the middle of the Attack. To me, rightly or wrongly, your version implies, 'first check there are any Resources in the Supply, then if there are, everyone discards'.
Ancient Ruins: yeah, your wording might be simpler, I chose what I did because I felt it was more elegant, with fewer $ symbols and no repetition.
(I look at such comparisons as Enchantress and Gatekeeper and see that Donald/whoever formats the cards isn't rigidly coded on how to structure the wording.)

And I confirm that what was concluded about Declare is correct. After one player finishes with it the player to the left can then use it, and if they do and play carries on like this, it's basically continuous. Just as long as this doesn't encourage mirror play too often...

Another reveal:

Insignia - Treasure Duration, $5 cost.
$1
At the start of your next turn, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. Discard the rest then play the Action.
Warband - Action Attack, $5 cost.
+3 Cards
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals the top card of their deck, reveals a card in their hands that shares a type (or reveals they can't), then puts the revealed cards onto their deck in any order.
Descend - Act
+2 Cards
Each other player gets +1VP.
Hire - Act Attack
Discard a Treasure. If you do, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card.

Insignia digs for an Action at the start of next turn, and it's a Treasure so it can't dig for itself.

Warband launches a random Attack on each opponent, depending on the top card of their deck.

Descend is a simple Act. Will you drop a point to play a Smithy?

Hire makes more of extra types on Acts. It's an Attack; whilst not a card in play, it is still 'playing an Attack card' for all the Moats, Lighthouses, Horse Traders, etc. Tell me that's convoluted and landscapes should never count as played cards.

I'll have to do the next reveal a while later than usual, as my computer screen has gone from funny to unusable.

Thanks again for your feedback!
there aren't any duration treasures because there are things that trash treasures in play. Most people suggest adding "if this is in play at the start of your next turn,"

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2021, 12:31:42 pm »
+1

there aren't any duration treasures because there are things that trash treasures in play. Most people suggest adding "if this is in play at the start of your next turn,"

There's no reason to trash Insignia with Bonfire, and you can just house-rule Herbalist, Mint, and Mandarin to only topdeck/trash the treasures that you would discard from play this turn (a la Improve).
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2021, 01:26:33 pm »

Insignia is vanilla-wise a Bazaar. But do the consistency and digging really compensate for the Duration downsides? I doubt it.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 02:56:21 am »

As worded, you topdeck your hand if you don't have any cards that share a type with the top card of your deck (because you "reveal you can't", in which case "the revealed cards" includes your whole hand).

To fix this, I recommend this wording:
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand sets aside the top card of their deck and a card from their hand that shares a type with it (or reveals they can't), then puts the set aside cards onto their deck in any order.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:59:15 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2021, 02:55:25 am »

I think Delegate would be much more interesting if it was differently named cards instead of duplicates. Encouraging monolithic strategies is kinda boring, tbh.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 07:30:56 am »

Now I've changed the OP to be the same format as my other two sets, and I'll add the new reveals and changes to it a little while after posting them. I've put my own thoughts there, good and bad, as well as the history as some find that helpful.

As worded, you topdeck your hand if you don't have any cards that share a type with the top card of your deck (because you "reveal you can't", in which case "the revealed cards" includes your whole hand).

To fix this, I recommend this wording:
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand sets aside the top card of their deck and a card from their hand that shares a type with it (or reveals they can't), then puts the set aside cards onto their deck in any order.
Yes, thanks for this, changed.

I think Delegate would be much more interesting if it was differently named cards instead of duplicates. Encouraging monolithic strategies is kinda boring, tbh.
I agree here, but also understand segura's point that it's just granting free Actions. Which is better, your suggestion or:
+2 Actions
Each other player gets +1VP

On this point, there are a few other cards that can cause tracking concerns in the set; Hostile Village is another. So I've been a little easy on the issue here, but not overboard.

Changes:
Warband's wording as above.
Display Case up to $5. It might still be imbalanced.
And how do these Resources look now:

Next reveal:

Tinker - Action Reserve, $6 cost.
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you gain a card, you may call this, to trash that card and a card from your hand, then gain a card costing exactly the total cost of the two trashed cards.
Expedition Camp - Action Duration Gatherer, $4 cost.
If this is the first Expedition Camp you've played this turn and the previous turn wasn't yours, take another turn after this one, and you draw 5 fewer cards for your next hand.
At the start of that turn, you may trash this to gain 3 Resources to your hand.
Despoiled Village - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Card
+2 Actions

-
When you buy this, you may reveal a card from your hand costing up to $4 to gain a copy of that card.
Dig - Act
Gain a non-Victory card from the trash. If it costs $2 or less, + $1.
Forage - Act Gatherer
Gain a Resource.
Tinker waits until you gain a card, then Forges it with another card in your hand. That's proven strong and worthy of $6 cost.

Expedition Camp is many things: one-shot Outpost with a random next hand; multiple-use Outpost if you build up enough next-turn effects; bundle of 3 Resources like trashing Feodum is to Silvers. Only the first Expedition Camp grants the extra turn, but multiple Camps can be played together then trashed on the bonus turn for 3 Resources to hand each.

Despoiled Village can come with another useful card, at the cost of not playing that card. It's the other when-buy I mentioned when explaining Resources.

Dig gets a card from the trash, with a quaint bonus for a very cheap one so failing all else getting a Copper can be relevant. But it's a landscape card; if the trashing isn't interesting enough in the game, you can swap it out easily.

Forage is an easy thing. And the mock-up is missing the Gatherer type! I'll change that later.

Thanks again for feedback!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:33:14 am by Aquila »

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 08:32:14 am »

About time I did another reveal here. The only real thing with the last reveal is that I'm feeling a bit bored with Despoiled Village. Maybe if it could gain $5s that would still be balanced but exciting?

Copse - Action Duration, $3 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may set aside a card from your hand face down. At the start of your next turn, if it's an...
Action, play it:
non-Action, Victory, discard it for +1 Card;
neither, trash it.
Street Market - Action, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
+ $2

This turn, when you gain a card, you may put it at the bottom of your deck.
At Clean-up, you may put one of your cards at the bottom of your deck when you discard it from play.
Provisioner - Action Reserve Gatherer, $5 cost.
Gain a card costing up to $5 onto your deck, then gain a Resource onto your deck. Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
During your turn, whenever you have any unused Actions, you may discard this from your Tavern mat for -1 Action.
Offer - Act
Choose a card in the Supply costing up to $4. The player to your left may gain it. If they do, +2VP.

Copse is a moved and revised card from my other set Revolution. It fills many engine needs with the disadvantage of being slow.

Street Market lets you bundle several cards together in your deck to plan out a future turn.

Provisioner puts a Resource and a $5 right onto your deck. What $5 you choose may be influenced by the Resource. It's shown itself to be strong, so it has the penalty of needing a second Action to get it back from the Tavern mat, if you want it back.

Offer is on a risky foundation in being a purely interactive card. Try to deduce what the player to your left is doing so you can land the right offers.

Gubump

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2021, 12:52:10 pm »
+1

The last part of Street Market should be worded like Scheme: "This turn, you may put one of your cards at the bottom of your deck when you discard it from play."

I'm surprised Provisioner needs the Reserve drawback. It looks like it should be enough weaker than Artisan to cost without being a Reserve, especially since you don't necessarily want a Resource. I can certainly believe it being too strong, though.

I think Offer should give either +1 Action or some sort of consolation prize if it whiffs.

I agree that Despoiled Village could probably gain s and still be balanced. You have to hold back from playing that in order to gain one with Despoiled Village, after all.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:27:30 pm by Gubump »

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 04:35:48 am »
+1

The last part of Street Market should be worded like Scheme: "This turn, you may put one of your cards at the bottom of your deck when you discard it from play."
So you could fuse the two sentences together?
This turn, you may put one of your cards at the bottom of your deck when you discard it from play, and when you gain a card, you may put it at the bottom of your deck.

I think Offer should give either +1 Action or some sort of consolation prize if it whiffs.
This makes sense. +1 Action might be the consolation itself, since then there is a potential cost and no automatic use in the opening.

I agree that Despoiled Village could probably gain s and still be balanced. You have to hold back from playing that in order to gain one with Despoiled Village, after all.
I've changed it to this now.

My conscience has been bothered by using nice internet images - since they're used for entertainment purposes, it's on the edge of free use rights - so now I'm putting up mock-ups without them. The OP has been changed accordingly.
As well as the Despoiled Village change: Delegate plays different Actions. It's an improvement at least, even if not a good idea.

Next reveal:

Warden - Action Duration Reaction, $3 cost.
Now and at the start of your next turn:
+2 Cards
Put a card from your hand onto your deck.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may play this from your hand.
Wanderer - Action, $4 cost.
+1 Action
You may play a Boomerang from your hand.
Gain a Boomerang from the trash to your hand.
Heirloom: Boomerang
Boomerang - Treasure Heirloom, $2 cost.
$1
Discard the top card of your deck. If it's an Action or Treasure, play it and trash this.
Redoubt - Action Attack, $3 cost.
+ $2
Each other player may discard a Curse. Those who don't gain a Curse.
Heirloom: Rook
Rook - Treasure Curse Heirloom, $3 cost.
$1
-1VP

-
When you trash this or discard it from play, put it into the player to your left's discard pile.
Vagabond - Action Attack Duration, $4 cost.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards. Until then, when another player trashes a card other than a Copper, they gain a Copper.
-
When you gain this, you may set it aside. If you do, play it.
Heirloom: Begging Bowl
Begging Bowl - Treasure Heirloom, $2 cost.
$1
You may let each other player trash a card from their hand for + $1.
Improvise - Act
Trash a card costing $3 or more from your hand. Gain a cheaper card; if you gained an Action or Treasure, you may set it aside, and if you do, play it.
Ambush - Act
Move this onto any Supply pile. (it stays there.) Cards from the pile cost $1 more (before reductions).
Warden sorts the top of your deck out a bit, and draws a card next turn like Caravan. If you react to an Attack with it, it can be non-terminal and you can potentially defend yourself as well.

Wanderer throws a Boomerang that can come back to you. Or he finds someone else's Boomerang lying in the trash. Basically a Peddler variant.

Redoubt was in a recent Weekly Contest. The Curse type on Rook may be misleading.

Vagabond is also in the Contest. Surely we can make an anti-trash Attack exist!

Improvise lets you downgrade a card, letting you transform one thing in your hand per turn to something that you need immediately.

Ambush is a reverse Ferry affecting all players on a pile of the user's choice. If somebody doesn't like it, they'll need to use an Action to move it elsewhere.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2021, 05:36:02 am »
+2

Another reveal:

Boundary Marker - Action Reserve, $5 cost.
You may trash a Victory card from your hand for +2VP. If you don't, gain an Estate for +1VP.
-
When you gain this, you may put it on your Tavern mat. while it's there, when you gain a Victory card costing from $3 - $6, +1VP.
Repository - Action Reserve, $5 cost.
Put this on your Tavern mat; you may immediately call it.
-
At the start of your turn, you may call this. When you call it, discard any number of Treasures, revealed, for +2 Cards each.
Heirloom: Permit
Permit - Treasure Heirloom, $3 cost.
If you have a Gold in play, you may play a Treasure from your hand twice.
Accrue - Act
Choose one: put a token on your Tavern mat; or remove all tokens from your mat for + $1 each.
Devise - Act
+1 Action
Put any number of cards from your hand onto your deck.
Boundary Marker has two modes of play, gain and trash Victories for extra VP or grant a passive VP bonus for Duchies and kingdom Victories. Which will give you more? Judge the speed of the game.

Repository is a terminal Shepherd for Treasures, which you can choose to save for a start-of-turn if the immediate situation isn't right for using it. Its Heirloom changes the start by not providing + $1, but later it can be made into something very useful.

Accrue lets you spend Actions to accumulate savings for later. Any token will do since no tokens go to the Tavern mat; coin tokens are probably best, but in this set by itself VP tokens could suffice.

Devise simply grants an unlimited top-deck ability once per turn. Putting them there 'in any order' I hope is self-intuitive?

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2021, 01:18:28 pm »
+1

Next reveal:

Display Case >
Fissure - Action, $5 cost.
+4 Cards
Change all +Card amounts you get into +$ for the rest of the turn.
Heirloom: Rope
Rope - Treasure Heirloom, $2 cost.
+2 Cards
Put a card from your hand onto your deck.
Mirage Island - Victory Reaction, $4 cost.
2VP
-
When another player gains a Victory card, you may put this and any number of Victory cards from your hand on your Tavern mat for +1VP each.
Subsidy - Action Gatherer, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
+ $1 per $1 you've produced with Actions other than Subsidy this turn.
Conclude - Act
Discard your hand for + $3.
Create - Act
Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy a card, gaining it to your hand.
Fissure is big terminal draw that terminates the rest of your draw. Rope can help line it up well, sort out terminal collisions, provide some money when played after a Fissure, a useful and diverse little thing.

Mirage Island scores you points for being in hand at the right time, and your Victories can also then be tucked away. They react on any Victory gain including themselves, so should often see use.

Conclude is, well, the conclusion of your Action phase. Fun to work around, I'm hoping.

Create is at least a +Buy, but what you buy can be used straight away. Treasures can always be played, whilst Actions need you to have 2 Actions remaining, one being for this.

And Subsidy I'm intending to replace Display Case with. It replicates the effort all your other Actions have done in producing +$ this turn.
Display Case was rather automatic in powering up. This likes the support of all the Resources, so is similar but should be more interesting. And it is probably missing a direct interaction to the Resources, so one doesn't have to rely on spotting the Gatherer type to be prompted to get the Resources out; I haven't decided what that should be yet.

And that is the extent of my definite design into the set so far. 3 more kingdom piles and 5 more Acts to invent now!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:23:06 pm by Aquila »

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2021, 08:26:20 am »

Firstly some adjustments:

Ancient Ruins gives just 1VP, for balance.

Craft trashes just 1 card, gives just 2VP if it was a Resource, and is non-terminal. More likeable all round.

Street Market down to $4 cost, which seems more balanced, with its two effects merged into one sentence.

Subsidy now comes with a Resource. It might get the support it needs a little easier like this, or if the deck is already well-built another Resource could hurt.

Wanderer can now replay a Boomerang you have in play, so discarded Victories don't break Wanderer chains so easily.

Descend is now Lab instead of Smithy. the opening is less wild, but it might not be quite there yet. Drawing a bad card blind (you might try it in a desperate comeback situation) will really sting!

Hire doesn't require a discarded Treasure, but instead can't target Treasures. It won't be brutal in the opening, and later it can pick off Actions.

Offer got its +1 Action consolation. Doesn't mean it's a safe design though!

Some suggestions:
Rope could be an Action Treasure with +1 Action on it. A bit more usability.

Vagabond can kill the fun of trash for benefit. Should it exist?

Boundary Marker should probably be changed somehow. It can make games go on for ages, and it's feeling like a strictly better Duke.

And some new ideas:

Survivalist - Action Reserve Gatherer, $5 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you have 0 Actions left during your Action phase, call any number of Survivalists. For each one you call, play a Resource from the Supply, leaving it there.
Maroon - Act
Choose one: trash a card from your hand to put 1VP here; or take all the VP from here.
Recall - Act
Put a card you have in play that would be discarded this turn into your hand.
Survivalist is a Resource on demand. When you hit 0 Actions you can call it to do more with your turn, but whatever the top Resource happens to be can influence how many you call when. 'Call any number of Survivalists' wording because you couldn't call a stack of them one at a time; once you call one you'd very likely have an Action left.

Maroon is another VP mini game. There's no denying the power of a (usually) free trash in the opening, but how big will you let the VP stack get?

Recall lets you spend 2 Actions to Throne an Action card, or 1 to Throne a Treasure you managed to get into play in the Action phase, whilst having other possibilities. You can put the Act card in the place of the returned card to help tracking.

2 kingdom cards, 3 Acts to go; if there are no duds to replace, of course.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2021, 06:42:32 am »

Some improvements:

Boundary Marker's on-play ability is now non-terminal Bridge, much more usable and collectable. It needed to be to compete with the Tavern mat mode. The Tavern mat mode itself now powers up with empty Supply piles to add more player interaction.

Fissure is down to +3 bonus, with added +Buy to keep the cost at $5.
Rope is now an Action.

Repository is down to $4 cost, which seems more balanced.
Permit now changes itself into a Treasure depending on the size of hand; it can become a Copper in the opening (or a Treasure costing up to $2 from a typical 5-card hand including itself), so having $1 less is no longer forced.

Subsidy felt too strong with other +$ Actions in the kingdom, so it's lost its +Buy. Wood is still there to provide +Buys.

Vagabond now gives out a card costing at most $2 less with opponents' trashes, rather than Coppers. It's kinder on tfb whilst still giving out Coppers for trashed Estates.

Wanderer can now replay a Boomerang in play so Victory discards don't stop Wanderer chains, and it becomes a cantrip on a complete miss.

Accommodate can no longer play Reserves from the Tavern mat. No more broken Wine Merchant and Provisioner games.

Descend now discards the top card of deck before giving the option to draw it. No more nasty useless draws when they really matter.

And new ideas:

Expedition Camp >    Delegate >
Expedition Camp - Action Reserve Gatherer, $4 cost.
Gain to your hand a Silver and 2 Resources. Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
After you finish playing an Action, you may trash this from your Tavern mat. If you do, each player with at least 3 cards in hand passes 2 to the next such player to their left, at once.
Envision - Act
After your Buy phase, you may play Actions from your hand (that don't use an Action).

The former Expedition Camp had a certain charm, but the randomness could take the fun away. This version is still a one-shot bundle of stuff, but instead has a second shot double Masquerade. It could be used right away, after the EC itself is a finished played Action, or later.

Delegate was just free Actions, so it's out, and this new Act splitter Envision comes in. Heavily inspired by alion8me's Lunar Ritual.

Shael

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2021, 11:13:27 am »

There is a lot to say here!
The idea of making a good/bad point on the card are a verry nice idea.
I'll just talk about the first 5 kingdom cards for now to avoid a too long reply (I'll treat the rest later)

Ancient Ruins is cool, obviously it have some issue with big victory cards but if durring the plyatest it's not bought because of the effect, you can reduce the cost (so it will be played in verry special strategy where you don't want Victory cards) or just let the choice to the player "look at the top card of your deck, then you may tras it..."

Astronomer is verry elegant, it's a nice card that really feel like dominion. I think there is a mistake on the wording: "to first pick one of the cards from your discard pile ..."

The idea of Boundary Marker is insanly interesting imo. A card that have an effect while it's on your tavern mat is really smart and you don't fall into the trap of infinit vp (I feel like there is no cards on your expantion that fall into that trap, it's a good point)

Copse is cool. I have nothing to say about the balance but I have something to say about the wording. I think you should just say "victory card": since there is no "action-duration-victory" it will never ba a tracking nightmare, it will not afect the balance of the card and make it more elegant. An other point about this card is that it should say "An action card" or "a victory card"

Craft is a good way to introduce ressources. Seem really good on early game but still valuable after. The design is claver and the wording elegant.
¤ Post here your favorite fan-cards ¤ The Archive ¤ Witchcraft, a Potion & Exile themed Expansion ¤ Not so Soon ¤                                          

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 05:45:09 am »

Thanks for your feedback Shael, much appreciated!
Ancient Ruins is cool, obviously it have some issue with big victory cards but if durring the plyatest it's not bought because of the effect, you can reduce the cost (so it will be played in verry special strategy where you don't want Victory cards) or just let the choice to the player "look at the top card of your deck, then you may tras it..."
The bottom line is Ancient Ruins is about chance unless you can control the top card of the deck. I thought, do I really want to reward chance strategies with VP? When I started this set maybe, but as I've developed it and further liked the high skill possibilities in it, I've tried to lessen the chance part. Here's a variant idea I had:

Ancient Ruins - Action, $5 cost.
Reveal your hand; the player to your left picks one of the cards. Trash it to choose two different things: +2 Cards; +2 Buys; + $2; +2VP.
Player interaction rather than chance, and possible interest in choosing which bonuses when.

Astronomer is verry elegant, it's a nice card that really feel like dominion. I think there is a mistake on the wording: "to first pick one of the cards from your discard pile ..."
I took a leaf from Star Chart for the wording, 'you may pick one of the cards to go on top'. Sometimes you can shuffle whilst leaving some of the discard pile out, like with Inn and Annex, so the interaction there is a bit stronger.
She's got some art now as well, for better or worse:

Glad you like Boundary Marker, I just hope it's balanced!

Copse is cool. I have nothing to say about the balance but I have something to say about the wording. I think you should just say "victory card": since there is no "action-duration-victory" it will never ba a tracking nightmare, it will not afect the balance of the card and make it more elegant. An other point about this card is that it should say "An action card" or "a victory card"
I'd like to be able to say just 'Victory', but I also want to be safe from theoretical Duration Victories (I have one in another expansion I made) and this was the most elegant solution I thought of. I didn't think '...card' was necessary, but this made me check and I was wrong, it is a consistent wording rule. So:

I also saw that spacing between lists of options was removed as well, and that lets the text size remain the same. A strictly better improvement, so thanks again!

Here's a new idea:

Hollow - Action Duration, $3 cost.
Either now or at the start of your next turn, choose one: draw until you have 6 cards in hand; or discard any number of cards for + $1 each.
Flexible to fit the adaptation theme, with plenty of synergy within the set.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 03:23:08 am by Aquila »

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2021, 07:46:48 am »
+2

I did a fairly big update here.

Water Source Wanderer Boomerang Offer

Water Source is out, so now there are just 4 different Resources, 40 total. It was substantially less useful overall than the other Resources and didn't belong.

I committed to the Ancient Ruins change I suggested and brought the cost down to $4. A nicer play experience for you and the opponents, with a high reward for an awkward condition.

I swapped the below-line effect on Despoiled Village around, so you gain the card you have a copy of in hand and discard the copy for a free Village. More accessible and interesting with weighing up cheap or expensive gains.

The discard benefit on Hollow is now Artificer without the top-decking, rather than + $1 per card discarded. It's no longer a single card engine with (Workers') Village support.

Mirage Island now costs $3. It rarely affects the opening, and being cheaper helps its reaction out.

Subsidy was renamed Sponsor, and rather than gain a Resource on gain you can trash one from hand. Much weaker for balance.

Survivalist was a Lost City+ too often before, so the on-play effect is weakened from being cantrip and the cost is now $4. It can trigger itself too.

Tinker is down to $5 cost. It isn't powerful all the time.

I got tired of Wanderer being so inelegant, and Boomerang being so swingy in the opening. So they're out.

Conclude checks for discarded cards like Tactician does, rather than be once per turn. It's cool when you can repeat it so why not? It's better than getting a free $3 when you empty hand of good cards with an Action left.

Offer was never going to work and I couldn't get to a sensible variant. So it's out.

And a new idea:

Dig >
Key to the Past - Treasure, $4 cost.
Cards in the trash cost $2 less this turn. You may buy a card from the trash.
-
Setup: trash a Gold from the Supply per player, and put an extra Kingdom pile costing $5 in the trash.
A recent WDC entry to replace Dig. When good things were visiting the trash, Dig made things a bit too easy to get them back. So this Kingdom pile calls for more commitment to a repeating tfb strategy. And when there isn't tfb, there is still a unique card this can access.

These changes are on the OP and the History added on.

Aquila

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2021, 08:17:48 am »
+1

Just one idea:

Adjourn - Act
+1 Action
For the rest of the turn, set aside any cards you draw from +Cards face down. Put them into your hand at end of turn.
Should it be a Way? It gets more flexibility then, but this is simpler to grasp.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.