Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #103: Design a Card that interacts with snow  (Read 23185 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #103: Design a Card that interacts with snow
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2021, 03:07:40 pm »
+2

how's this interact with Scrying Pool? does SP let you dodge the rule on this, or?

Yes, SP lets you go beyond the bounds, as do other cards that don't count as "drawing", like Wishing Well. I don't think this breaks the card as there aren't too many of these.

Come to think of it, though, this means it should say "when you have 8 or more". I'll update the OP.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:32:10 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2021, 03:35:10 pm »

Before you could play Fortress, then Ice Castle, trashing the Fortress to gain an Ice Castle

Just being pedantic here, but wouldn't you need a 2nd Fortress? You'd need to play the Fortress AFTER the Ice Castle to trash it, not before.
You're right!
I totally got it wrong here and misplayed my own card. You need to play an Ice Castle before a Fortress, making this loop not possible in the same sense, you have to already have an extra fortress in discard/deck per time you want to repeat the loop.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:37:07 pm by anordinaryman »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2021, 07:20:22 pm »

This is far too harsh.
Basically Snow is to the -1 Card token what Horse is to +1 Card.
Relic is non-terminal but the token does not stack. So I would think twice about creating a non-terminal Snow junker and never even consider doing a cantrip snow junker.

Snow Queen is a double anti-Lab for the opponents, plus potentially a delayed multi-Lab for the active player. That is crazy!

You're right, thank you! I understimated the power of giving Snows. I though at first glance that giving a Snow was a kind of delayed Urchin attack, but Urchin is not stackable, which makes a big difference.

There was also a issue of exploding on multiplayer games, so I'm updating it to:

- Changed cantrip part to Upgrade effect, so you can benefit from the Snows you eventually receive from opponents, even remodeling them to Snow Queens.

- Changed triggered effect to a kind of trade-off: you may choose to transform opponent Snow in a cantrip to get Council Room effect. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:58:25 am by Carline »

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2021, 02:01:13 am »
+2

Here is what I came up with:

Arctic Castle - $4
Action - Victory - Arctic
Each player reveals their hand, then gains a Snow for every 2 cards revealed that are not Snow (rounded down).
---------------
Worth the greater of 2VP or 1VP per 3 Snow cards you have (round down).
---------------
When you buy this, you may discard an Action card to gain a card from the Snow Gear pile. If you discarded Snow, +1VP.

The card comes with a Snow Gear pile, full of items useful for your Arctic expansion. There is one copy of each card in the pile, which can be gained either through Arctic Castle's on-buy mechanism or Winter Vendor, if anyone gains and uses it. There are 16 cards in the pile:

Snow Gear Pile:

Elegant Muff - $2*
Treasure - Snow Gear
$1
You may put up to 2 cards from your hand onto your deck.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Snow Shoes - $2*
Treasure - Reaction - Snow Gear
$1
---------------
When you play Snow, you may first reveal this from your hand once per Snow played for +1 Card.

Brandy - $3*
Treasure - Snow Gear
$2
+1 Buy

Snow Shovels - $3*
Action - Snow Gear
+1 Action
Do the following any number of times: discard a card from your hand; if it was a Snow, draw a card.

Winter Vendor - $3*
Action - Snow Gear
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each player (starting with you) may discard any number of Treasure cards from hand to gain a card from the Snow Gear pile worth up to $1 per card discarded.

Brazier - $4*
Treasure - Snow Gear
$2
You may return up to 2 Snow cards from your hand to their pile.

Sled - $4*
Action -  Snow Gear
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until revealing one that isn’t Snow. Put all of those revealed cards into your hand.

Snowman - $4*
Action - Snow Gear
+1 Card
+1 Action
Each player may choose to reveal a hand with at least 3 Snows in it for +3 Coffers.

St. Bernard - $4*
Action -  Reaction - Snow Gear
+2 Cards
---------------
When another player plays a Snow, you may first reveal this and a Snow from your hand; if you do, play this.

Snow Golem - P$4*
Action - Snow Gear
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal more non-Snow Action cards (other than Golems) than Snows. Discard the Golems and non-Action cards, then play the non-Snow Action cards in any order. Place half the Snows (rounded up) onto your deck, and discard the rest.

Four-Poster Bed - $5*
Treasure - Night - Snow Gear
$2
If it's your Night phase, reveal and set aside a Victory card and an Action card costing less than it from your hand, and put both into your hand at end of turn (after drawing).

Golden Goose - $5*
Action - Reaction - Snow Gear
Gain a Gold.
---------------
When you gain a Snow, if it isn't your turn, you may play this from your hand.

Ice Magician's Cloak - $5*
Action - Snow Gear
For the rest of your turn when you play a Snow, get +1 Card and +1 Action instead of following its instructions.

Snow House - $5*
Action -  Snow Gear
+$5
-$1 per 5 cards in the Snow pile (rounded down).

Lead Glass Windows - $6*
Action - Duration - Snow Gear
While this is in play, when you play Snow, add 1VP to this. At the beginning of each of your turns, remove 1% from this. When you buy a Victory card, take the VP from this and discard this from play.

Regal Cloak - $7*
Action - Treasure - Snow Gear
+2 Actions
For the rest of the turn, when you gain a Snow, +1 Villager.
$3
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2021, 03:00:24 am »
+6

Arctic Passage - $6
Project

At the start of your turn, +2 Buys, +$2.
Whenever you buy a card, gain a Snow.

Not sure yet what the numbers should be on this one. Initially it cost $4, but that is too swingy in the opening.

Version history:
v0.1: Cost $4, gives +1 buy, +$3
v0.2: Cost $6, gives +1 buy, +$3
v0.3: Cost $6, gives +2 buys, +$2
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:06:03 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2021, 12:19:59 pm »
+1

This is far too harsh.
Relic is non-terminal but the token does not stack. So I would think twice about creating a non-terminal Snow junker and never even consider doing a cantrip snow junker.

Snow Queen is a double anti-Lab for the opponents, plus potentially a delayed multi-Lab for the active player. That is crazy!

You're right, thank you! I understimated the power of giving Snows. I though at first glance that giving a Snow was a kind of delayed Urchin attack, but Urchin is not stackable, which makes a big difference.

There was also a issue of exploding on multiplayer games, so I'm updating it to:

- Changed cantrip part to Upgrade effect, so you can benefit from the Snows you eventually receive from opponents, even remodeling them to Snow Queens.

- Changed triggered effect to a kind of trade-off: you may choose to transform opponent Snow in a cantrip to get Council Room effect.

Previous version still would be a bit messy in multiplayer games with many Snow Queens played. So, I changed the triggered effect to make it discard Snow Queen. Now, when another player plays a Snow, you choose if you want an extra card or give Snows next turn.

UPDATE:

Feedbacks are always welcome!

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2021, 12:26:59 pm »

This is far too harsh.

Previous version still would be a bit messy in multiplayer games with many Snow Queens played. So, I changed the triggered effect to make it discard Snow Queen. Now, when another player plays a Snow, you choose if you want an extra card or give Snows next turn.

UPDATE:

is the discard this effect meant to stop it from working on the next turn? because rn it doesn't

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2021, 12:34:11 pm »
+1

Snow Shoes - $2*
$1
---------------
When you play Snow, you may first reveal this from your hand once per Snow played for +1 Card.
This has accountability issues, because if you have multiple, you don't know if you're just revealing the same one over and over, or if you're actually revealing different ones. I'd suggest "When you play a snow, you may set this aside for +1 card. Once an action card is resolved, return this to your hand"

EDIT: Missed the "only one in the pile" phrase at the top
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 01:22:33 pm by LittleFish »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2021, 12:51:38 pm »

Snow Shoes - $2*
$1
---------------
This has accountability issues, because if you have multiple, you don't know if you're just revealing the same one over and over, or if you're actually revealing different ones. I'd suggest "When you play a snow, you may set this aside for +1 card. Once an action card is resolved, return this to your hand"
I thought there was only one of these in the pile though

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2021, 01:22:08 pm »

Snow Shoes - $2*
$1
---------------
I must have missed that

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2021, 01:26:00 pm »
+1

Snow Shoes - $2*
$1
---------------

That is right, there is only one of each of these, like the Prizes from Tournament. That's also why Snow Golem does not need to check for other Snow Golems.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2021, 02:59:57 pm »
+1

This is far too harsh.

UPDATE:

is the discard this effect meant to stop it from working on the next turn? because rn it doesn't

I was in doubt about this rule. I don't like so much a postponed effect without a marker. Discard is to make it draw only one card.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2021, 07:44:38 pm »
+9

Hearth

+4 Cards
+1 Buy
-
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may gain 3 Snows.

$7 - Action

edit: Changed "Snow" to "Snows" after Bbobb pointed out that it should be written that way.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:40:21 pm by alion8me »

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2021, 01:09:06 am »
+2

Hearth

+4 Cards
+1 Buy
-
Instead of paying this card's cost, you may gain 3 Snow.

$7 - Action
Small pedantic thing. It should say "gain 3 Snows"

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2021, 01:15:54 am »
+1

This is far too harsh.

UPDATE:

I was in doubt about this rule. I don't like so much a postponed effect without a marker. Discard is to make it draw only one card.
If you want it to not have its next turn effect if you discard it, you could have
You may trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing exactly more than it.
Each other player gains a Snow.
At the start of your next turn, if this is still in play, each other player gains a Snow.
EDIT: Added still thanks to Faust.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:56:36 am by BBobb »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2021, 02:32:48 am »
+2

If you want it to not have its next turn effect if you discard it, you could have
You may trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing exactly more than it.
At the start of your next turn, if this is in play, each other player gains a Snow.
This opens a whole can of worms with other start of turn effects.
Say you Princed a Herald. You play Snow Queen on one turn and discard it for the effect. At the start of the next turn, you play Herald into Snow Queen. Now, "this" is in play.
You can get rid of this issue by stating "if this is still in play". It's still a bit cumbersome, but it would work.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2021, 04:08:55 am »
+5

Avalanche ⑤ Action - Duration
Now and at the start of each of
your turns while this is in play,
+2 Cards and set aside a Snow
from its pile (under this).
-
At the start of Clean-Up, if you
gained a Victory card this turn, or
the Snow pile is empty, discard
this and the set-aside Snow.
It's a Wharf! It's a Hireling! No, it's an Avalanche!
Seeing as Snow is like a -Card token akin to Debt being a -Coin token, this is sort of like Capital in that you get very very good draw until some time when you have to pay it all back (Okay you're getting 2 draw every turn and you only have to pay 1 draw eventually, whatever).
If you've got it all planned out with a single turn of greening, or maybe you have some clever way of winning the game without gaining green cards, you can go wild. The world is your snowball, as long as the Snow pile still exists! There is so much Snow that this shouldn't be a problem too often. But you do not want to get buried by this card.
Also, just to clarify, the Snow under the Avalanche is yours. That Vineyard can be worth a lot of points. Tread carefully.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 04:15:56 am by MochaMoko »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2021, 09:08:51 am »
+4

Quote from: Original

This was originally called Slippery Slope and forced you to play a Snow from your hand for +2 Cards.  I like this version better. 

I'm not sure about the cost.  I felt like it could cost $2, because while it could potentially draw 6 cards in one turn if you have one Dogsled, your pups will get exhausted pretty quickly.  Feedback welcome!

EDIT: Revised the text so that you don't gain +Actions.  We have precedents with one-shot Labs, so I'm more comfortable with the balance of the updated version.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:49:38 am by Timinou »

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2021, 09:48:58 am »

This was originally called Slippery Slope and forced you to play a Snow from your hand for +2 Cards.  I like this version better. 

I'm not sure about the cost.  I felt like it could cost $2, because while it could potentially draw 6 cards in one turn if you have one Dogsled, your pups will get exhausted pretty quickly.  Feedback welcome!

The current wording is a little unclear on wether you get +1 Action aswell/if you actually have to return the snow to it's pile.
If you don't get +1 Action and have to return it, I think it's pretty well balanced, and can lead to an interessting T3 (especially if one would buy 2 Dogsleds in T1 and T2).

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2021, 10:11:11 am »
+1

The current wording is a little unclear on wether you get +1 Action aswell/if you actually have to return the snow to it's pile.
If you don't get +1 Action and have to return it, I think it's pretty well balanced, and can lead to an interessting T3 (especially if one would buy 2 Dogsleds in T1 and T2).

You play Snow, so you get the +1 Action from it and return it to its pile.

If you're able to find more than one Snow, then you will effectively gain more than one Action.  We don't have one-shot Villages as far as I recall, so this is where I'm not too sure about the cost. 

EDIT: If the effect is too strong/swingy, it might be better to change the text to say something like: "While this is in play, when you play a Snow, draw 2 cards".
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:18:26 am by Timinou »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2021, 10:47:44 am »

It's elegant, but I worry that it would just be very coin-flippy. It either collides with snow or it doesn't, and if it does it's extremely strong.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2021, 10:51:50 am »
+1

It's elegant, but I worry that it would just be very coin-flippy. It either collides with snow or it doesn't, and if it does it's extremely strong.

Yeah, I agree.  I've modified it so that it's still possible to chain Snows (similar to Sheepdogs), but you don't gain +Actions.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2021, 10:55:10 am »

At the start of your next turn, if this is in play, each other player gains a Snow.
This opens a whole can of worms with other start of turn effects.
Say you Princed a Herald. You play Snow Queen on one turn and discard it for the effect. At the start of the next turn, you play Herald into Snow Queen. Now, "this" is in play.
You can get rid of this issue by stating "if this is still in play". It's still a bit cumbersome, but it would work.
You are right. I'll change my post.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2021, 12:38:53 pm »

I think it's an improvement, but wouldn't it be simpler to just give +2 Cards when you play a snow and not allow you to play a snow from your hand? It's identical for the first Snow.

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2021, 01:11:47 pm »
+2

Here is what I came up with:

Arctic Castle - $4
Action - Victory - Arctic
Each player reveals their hand, then gains a Snow for every 2 cards revealed that are not Snow (rounded down).
---------------
Worth the greater of 2VP or 1VP per 3 Snow cards you have (round down).
---------------
When you buy this, you may discard an Action card to gain a card from the Snow Gear pile. If you discarded Snow, +1VP.

Since Arctic Castle doesn't have the Attack type, it can't be blocked.  As such, I think this almost forces players into buying Arctic Castles if their opponents do.  Is that the intent?

I'm assuming that like Prizes, when you are instructed to gain a Snow Gear, you can look through the pile and choose the one you want. 
In any case, the power level varies so much between the different Snow Gear, that it really favors players that are able to buy an Arctic Castle with an Action card in hand first.  I would consider changing the way Arctic Castle gains Snow Gear, so the "cost" for gaining different Snow Gear scales with their power level.

It's quite cool to see so many unique Snow Gear cards, but my concern would be that with so many for players to take into consideration, it could slow down the game a bit.

Just some thoughts on the individual Snow Gear cards:
Snow Shovels - This could potentially loop.  For example, if you draw your whole deck and have a Snow in hand, you can discard a Snow, and then draw it, and do this an infinite number of times. This doesn't achieve anything of significance, but if it bothers you, the card could instruct players to set the Snow aside before drawing a card, and then discard the set aside Snow during clean-up.

Brazier - This looks weak.  It's only beneficial if you draw Snow in your hand without any leftover Actions, and in most cases if you're going for alt-VP with Arctic Castle, you don't want to return them.  I don't think it should cost more than Brandy, which itself is strictly better than Silver.

Snowman - I think the "choose to" is redundant, and it could just say "Each player may reveal a hand with at least 3 Snows in it for +3 Coffers".  This seems a bit weak, because you may not have 3 Snows in hand when you play this, and one of your opponents might be super lucky and have 3 Snows in hand.  I wonder if should be a terminal draw card instead of a cantrip in order to increase your chances of getting +3 Coffers. 

St. Bernard - This also seems weak relative to some of the cheaper Snow Gear since it requires you to have two specific cards in the same hand for the Reaction to trigger.

Snow Golem - I'm not sure I understand why Snow Golem has a Potion cost.  You can't gain Snow Gear other than through Arctic Castle and Winter Vendor, right?  Speaking of which, can you even gain Snow Golem with Winter Vendor?

Four-Poster Bed - This is significantly weaker than the other $5-cost Snow Gear.  While saving an Action card for a future turn can be useful, this makes it quite difficult to do so (you would almost always need to start greening before this becomes useful).  There are official Events that let you do this, and this seems very expensive relative to those.

Lead Glass Windows - When you remove a VP token from this at the start of your turn, it goes back to the supply, right?  Or do you keep it?

Regal Cloak - I don't think it's clear from the way it is worded that the top half only applies if played during your Action phase.  For example, if you play it as a Treasure and then buy Arctic Castle, I don't think your intention is that you would still gain Villagers. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.