Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #103: Design a Card that interacts with snow  (Read 23173 times)

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
+7

:'(Weekly Design Contest #103: Snow

Hello everyone! You all had some neat ideas for contests, but today i have a bit of hubris,  and it also happens to be snowing in sweden where i live! Henceforth this weeks contest...

Design a Card Or WELP that interacts with 'snow' (ie, this fanmade card)

TYPE: Action
Cost: 3$
+1 action
Return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply.)
There are a total of of 30 Snow cards in each game.

Snow is a temporary junk card, that goes away when you play it. You may design any sort of card, sideways card, or WELP that interacts with it. Or, if you want, your own mechanic with it.

My judging criteria for submissions:
1: Is this card Fun? (does it change the game in a fun way? Does it introduce interesting strategies? is it fun to play?)
2: Is this card understandable? (is there grammar or spelling errors? Does it condradict itself? Also, remember to have an english version if you post in another language!)

I hope you all have fun this week. The deadline for card submissions is February 5th, UTC 20/ 8 PM. ill try to have my judging up around February 6th.

Edit 1: fixed some formatting issues with snow as per silverspawns suggestions. i blame my jetlag!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:58:54 am by fika monster »
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #103: Design a Card that interacts with snow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 09:20:25 am »
+4

Updated to:

Updated to:

UPDATED TO:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 04:04:33 am by Carline »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 09:44:20 am »
+3

Wintery Woods • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
At the start of your next turn, +3 Cards.
Until then, the first time each other player plays an Action card that says +2 Actions, they gain a Snow.

A haunted woods that attacks village use (but only of the common +2 Actions variety)
I tried a couple wordings that'd make it hit like, Snowy or Bustling village and they were a mess, so just when it gives an explicit "+2 Actions".

Edit2:
Added art (me, spraypaint on steel sheet) and changed it so it only cares about the first time - meaning you can still stack them, but the amount of snow per other players' turn(s) is only the same as the number of WWs you have in play.
Edit:
Modified to care about the wording of the card played, not whether or not someone actually got actions from it, so now
X plays Snowy Village
X plays Village

does give a Snow for the second card; this also makes it so there's no question around using Way of the Ox or a cantrip with a +1 Action token - we care about the card's actual text, not whether they gained 2 actions.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:59:42 pm by spineflu »

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 10:51:23 am »
+1

Until then, when another player plays an Action card that gives them +2 Actions, they gain a Snow.

A haunted woods that attacks village use (but only of the common +2 Actions variety)
I tried a couple wordings that'd make it hit like, Snowy or Bustling village and they were a mess, so just when it gives an explicit "+2 Actions".
if they already have a snowy village in play, would a normal village count as a card giving +2 actions?

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 10:55:09 am »

Until then, when another player plays an Action card that gives them +2 Actions, they gain a Snow.

Just was wondering, if I play a Snowy Village (which I think I don't get snow with), then I play a Village, do I get Snow from playing the Village? I don't think I do, but I was just wondering.

EDIT: Just answer the one that LittleFish posted. Also, I hadn't seen your post before I posted.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 11:01:30 am »

if they already have a snowy village in play, would a normal village count as a card giving +2 actions?

Just was wondering, if I play a Snowy Village (which I think I don't get snow with), then I play a Village, do I get Snow from playing the Village? I don't think I do, but I was just wondering.

EDIT: Just answer the one that LittleFish posted. Also, I hadn't seen your post before I posted.

no, because the further +Actions are ignored (due to the first Snowy Village)
edit: yes, they get a snow in that situation. it cares about playing the card that gives the +2 Actions, not whether or not they got them.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:13:06 pm by spineflu »

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:04:55 am »
+2

Translation:
-------------------------
Ice Mage

Choose one:
Play an action card form your hand twice, or
+3 Cards +1 Buy, or
+2$ and each other player gains 3 Snow-Cards.
------
If you gain a card, you may discard this card from your hand, to instead gain a card that costs exactly 2$ more than it.

7$  Action - Reaction (- Attack)

The Throne Room is supposed to guarantee that you can have 2 actions (by throne rooming a snow).
The other 2 options are self explanitory.

The reaction part of the card is a direct defence against the ice mage's attack, and is also useful, if you don't have enough actions to get pseudo +2$.

Maybe the card is too cheap, as you have many options, but I'll have to do some playtesting for that.
I've also been considering doing a potion cost (4P) but people on this forum don't seem to like potion costs, so I didn't.

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 11:10:05 am »

Translation:
Ice Mage

Choose one:
+3 Cards +1 Buy, or
+2$ and each other player gains 3 Snow-Cards.
------
If you gain a card, you may discard this card from your hand, to instead gain a card that costs exactly 2$ more than it.

7$  Action - Reaction (- Attack)

The Attack type doesn't need to be in parentheses. Also, though the first the options are fine, the third option is just oppressive. I King's Court this, and you gain 9 SNOWS. That is just too oppressive. I would change it to 2 Snow Cards.

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 11:18:18 am »

The Attack type doesn't need to be in parentheses. Also, though the first the options are fine, the third option is just oppressive. I King's Court this, and you gain 9 SNOWS. That is just too oppressive. I would change it to 2 Snow Cards.

It used to be 2, but then I changed it to 3 as I didn't yet have the +2$ with the attack, and kinda forgot to change it back. I don't think that the King's Court is an issue, as you'll rarely be playing with king's court and it's OP as is.
I'll change it back to 2 Snow-Cards, especially because you can use Icemage to throne room another Icemage without using up an action and that way every player would gain 6 Snow-Cards which seems to be too much.
The parantheses is there as you can choose it not to be an attack.

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 11:21:23 am »

Translation:
Ice Mage

Choose one:
+3 Cards +1 Buy, or
+2$ and each other player gains 2 Snow-Cards.
------

7$  Action - Reaction - Attack

Ver. 2

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 11:22:44 am »

It used to be 2, but then I changed it to 3 as I didn't yet have the +2$ with the attack, and kinda forgot to change it back. I don't think that the King's Court is an issue, as you'll rarely be playing with king's court and it's OP as is.
I'll change it back to 2 Snow-Cards, especially because you can use Icemage to throne room another Icemage without using up an action and that way every player would gain 6 Snow-Cards which seems to be too much.
It doesn't matter, it still doesn't need the parentheses. See Minion and Pirate Ship. They don't always attack, its the players choice whether they attack or not, and they have the attack type like normal

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 11:27:23 am »

But the card still gives actions, it's just ignored

Meta

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 11:35:45 am »

It doesn't matter, it still doesn't need the parentheses. See Minion and Pirate Ship. They don't always attack, its the players choice whether they attack or not, and they have the attack type like normal

I know, that's why I changed it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 11:38:31 am »

But the card still gives actions, it's just ignored

Right, but they did not get the +2 Actions; so they don't gain a Snow.

EDIT: Yknow what, that's way unintuitive. yeah they get a Snow for doing that. Lemme see if i can't bang out a wording that better describes the situation.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:12:11 pm by spineflu »

BBobb

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 11:44:15 am »
+1

I know, that's why I changed it.
Sorry, when I started typing my post you hadn't posted the new version of your card, so I hadn't seen the change.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 11:58:31 am »
+6

This is far too harsh.
Basically Snow is to the -1 Card token what Horse is to +1 Card.
Relic is non-terminal but the token does not stack. So I would think twice about creating a non-terminal Snow junker and never even consider doing a cantrip snow junker.

Snow Queen is a double anti-Lab for the opponents, plus potentially a delayed multi-Lab for the active player. That is crazy!

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 12:00:53 pm »
+5

This submission has been updated in a subsequent post. This is not the current version
Changes were made (1) to clarify trashing happens after playing (2) to draw cards before gaining when you trash an Action or Night (or new non-Treasure playable type in the future)

Ice Castle | Action | $5
The next time you play a card this turn, trash it. If it's a Treasure, +$2. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $1 more and +2 Cards.
-
When you gain or trash this, each player gains a Snow

Buying one of these "junks" everyone, but you're pretty happy to have that "junk." Ice castles love snow, after all! Playing Ice Castle followed by a Snow turns that Snow into a Horses that gain you a $4! Of course, you're going to have trouble playing an Ice Castle and then a Snow, so without Villages, it'll be still hard. And in a game with some junking (Snow) it'll be even harder to line them up. Good thing this is a kind of trasher -- You can think of this like a more flexible Money Lender. Trash coppers in the beginning, and when you're desperate, well you can always turn this into a terminal silver at end of turn and then trash your gold. Great use for your cursed gold, as well.

This can trash Night cards. The +2 Cards you get aren't going to be useful, but the more flexible remaking can be useful. At the end of the game, if you don't have enough Treasures to buy a Duchy, end your Action phase with Ice Castle, then play a Vampire, gain a Duchy, and then trashing the Vampire to gain another duchy (and +2 cards).

Rats, Fortress, self-trashing cards, there's lot's of fun combos with this. The difficulty is having enough actions to do it all, of course.

open to feedback, of course! The one thing I was debating on was the "if you trash" part of the clause, but I think it's fun and gives you another reason to trash your snow castles with snow castles.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:27:05 pm by anordinaryman »

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 12:19:42 pm »
+9

Snowball
$4
Action

+3 Cards
Gain a Snow.
You may play a Snow from your hand.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 12:46:41 pm »
+3

I don't know if this is too strong with $5s, but the cantrip Workshop area is already covered by Sculptor, Cobbler and Falconer so I wanted to try something that gains $5s.
Note that this is not a conventional emulator, it plays a card from the Supply without leaving it there so it is "gain and play".
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:48:47 pm by segura »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 12:47:20 pm »
+1

Translation:
Ice Mage

Choose one:
+3 Cards +1 Buy, or
+2$ and each other player gains 2 Snow-Cards.
------

7$  Action - Reaction - Attack

Ver. 2

1. You can just say Snow, you don't have to say "Snow Cards."
2. The current version of Trader has done away with the "gain this thing instead of the other thing" effect and uses exchanging instead because that has less confusing interactions with other cards.

I'd recommend this wording:
Choose one: Play an Action card from your hand twice; +3 Cards and +1 Buy; or + and each other player gains 2 Snows.

When you gain a card, you may discard this, to exchange that card for a card from the Supply costing exactly $2 more than it.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2021, 12:50:19 pm »
+2

I don't know if this is too strong with $5s, but the cantrip Workshop area is already covered by Sculptor, Cobbler and Falconer so I wanted to try something that gains $5s.
Note that this is not a conventional emulator, it plays a card from the Supply without leaving it there so it is "gain and play".

I think the comma changes the meaning of this from what you intend to being able to play any non-Command, any Action, or any Treasure. The comma should not be there.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2021, 01:08:15 pm »
+13

Eh? This card nets as being a cantrip, but it's a Laboratory now, pay back later kind of deal. No idea how to appropriately price this.
Bottom text

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2021, 01:08:58 pm »
+1

Ice Castle | Action | $5
The next time you play a card this turn, trash it. If it's a Treasure, +$2. Otherwise, gain a card costing up to $1 more and +2 Cards.
-
When you gain or trash this, each player gains a Snow

Buying one of these "junks" everyone, but you're pretty happy to have that "junk." Ice castles love snow, after all! Playing Ice Castle followed by a Snow turns that Snow into a Horses that gain you a $4! Of course, you're going to have trouble playing an Ice Castle and then a Snow, so without Villages, it'll be still hard. And in a game with some junking (Snow) it'll be even harder to line them up. Good thing this is a kind of trasher -- You can think of this like a more flexible Money Lender. Trash coppers in the beginning, and when you're desperate, well you can always turn this into a terminal silver at end of turn and then trash your gold. Great use for your cursed gold, as well.

This can trash Night cards. The +2 Cards you get aren't going to be useful, but the more flexible remaking can be useful. At the end of the game, if you don't have enough Treasures to buy a Duchy, end your Action phase with Ice Castle, then play a Vampire, gain a Duchy, and then trashing the Vampire to gain another duchy (and +2 cards).

Rats, Fortress, self-trashing cards, there's lot's of fun combos with this. The difficulty is having enough actions to do it all, of course.

open to feedback, of course! The one thing I was debating on was the "if you trash" part of the clause, but I think it's fun and gives you another reason to trash your snow castles with snow castles.

Would it trash a Vampire though or does it lose track because of the exchange? (the only official "The next time you play a card this turn" card is Kiln, and since it gains it doesn't care about where the played card is. Also it uses the word first, so you could do that here?
That's feels weird, though, trashing the Vampire then playing it. (and in that case, would the exchange then fail?)

One last note with this - if we determine you don't trash the Vampire (or other cards that move on play, like Horse), then the Otherwise becomes ambiguous. Would it occur if you don't trash (as opposed to if you do trash a non Treasure)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2021, 01:11:06 pm »
+2

Eh? This card nets as being a cantrip, but it's a Laboratory now, pay back later kind of deal. No idea how to appropriately price this.

Very weak, I think. But a good idea nonetheless.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2021, 01:14:34 pm »

I think the comma changes the meaning of this from what you intend to being able to play any non-Command, any Action, or any Treasure. The comma should not be there.
Thanks, I already fixed it, it was a remnant from a previous version.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.