Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Roots  (Read 1870 times)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
Dominion: Roots
« on: January 15, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »
+3

Here's a fan expansion. It's mostly just a compilation of cards that I've made recently and liked. Feedback is appreciated.

Welcome to Dominion: Roots! The theme is something something Dominion has become all about big cities and grand castles and it's time for a return to some nice small-town values. It's pretty weak; I don't care. I'm here for the mechanics, not the theme.

Dominion: Roots reuses a few mechanics from existing expansions, most notably States, of which the set contains eight. All of the States have a copy for each player; Nocturne was inconsistent about this, but Renaissance established that if there's only one copy of it, then it's an Artifact, not a State. The set also contains Sheep, which are non-supply cards similar to Horses.

I've also created a new mechanic, inspired by Way of the Mouse. Some cards and Events set aside Kingdom cards which are treated as non-supply piles for the game, usually with some modification to how the cards play.

(Paranoid/Gullible is one two-sided State)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 11:43:02 pm by Something_Smart »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Roots
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:59:28 pm »

Here are some of the cards that I'm focusing on at the moment:

Lover: I like the concept here a lot, but it feels a little weak. I'm wondering if there's a buff I can give it that wouldn't make it too good. Perhaps I could add +1 Buy; due to Star-Crossed potentially being annoying when gaining certain cards like Province or Gold, it's not strictly better than Woodcutter. I know that as I was going through cards for this set, I noticed I had a ton that gave +buy, but I think I overcompensated and now the set doesn't have enough :P

Maniac: I'm thinking about having this start you on Gullible rather than Paranoid. Gullible isn't so much a downside if you have two Maniacs in your deck; you're probably happy to have the extra food for them. But if you have a single Maniac, Gullible will make it hard to actually trash with it, and if you get a second one then you'll have to deal with the much harsher Paranoid.

Companion: This was designed for a Contest that required exchanging, and it was designed with only one copy of each State in mind, but when I standardized States for this set I changed that. As a result, you only ever want to play Companion three times, and so I think the whole Toy thing is just a distraction. I'm debating nixing Toy entirely and just making Companion trash itself.

Elixir: I like this concept but I don't feel that it's fully fleshed out. Maybe I should change Hunted so that you ignore all $ generated from treasures played in the buy phase-- that way, you can still play Elixir, gain a Gold, and have your other treasures work normally.

Forest: I didn't realize quite how small that text would end up being... I wonder if there's a way to rework it so it's only two lines of text.

Knight Errant: Is this weak? It feels pretty weak. Maybe it should give +$4, since the bottom part can end up being a drawback.

Reform: I feel like this might be crazy good... then again, Donate exists. Maybe it should force you to gain an action card so you can't just turn your Estates into Silvers. That also fits pretty neatly with the set's theme of "the strength of cards is variable depending on the kingdom".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 05:15:57 pm »

With Commoner, it's unclear why you would ever choose to discard from your hand. If you discard from the top of your deck; you have a chance at it being the same as a Peddler. If you discard from your hand, then it is never really better than a plain cantrip; not counting edge cases of draw-to-x or other reasons you actually want to discard cards.

Audience might need some clarification on what counts as "numbers". Is it only numeral? Or would either "2" or "two" count? I assume things like "twice" aren't numbers.... it's a bit weird because King's Court says "three times" while Throne Room says "twice". But it's an arbitrary wording difference, so it would be awkward for one to be affected while the other isn't... if the next printing of Throne Room is changed to say "two times" then suddenly it behaves differently? Similar things existing with the difference between "discard a card" and "discard 2 cards"... same meaning normally; but suddenly different behavior. Also, is a number, or just a symbol?

My guess is that despite it looking like just a Throne Room variant; it would end up being super-crazy in some situations.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:23:24 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 05:16:54 pm »
+1

Is it intentional that there's no way to ever get rid of Paranoid/Gullible and Accursed?

With Commoner, it's unclear why you would ever choose to discard from your hand. If you discard from the top of your deck; you have a chance at it being the same as a Peddler. If you discard from your hand, then it is never really better than a plain cantrip; not counting edge cases of draw-to-x or other reasons you actually want to discard cards.

There's another not-uncommon case where you'd choose to discard from hand: You've already drawn your deck, and still have some draw left, so you can redraw the discarded Treasure (whereas you'd get no if you chose to discard from your empty deck).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:18:42 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 05:32:17 pm »

Is it intentional that there's no way to ever get rid of Paranoid/Gullible and Accursed?
Yeah. With Paranoid/Gullible, you can switch between them relatively easily and hopefully you can pick one that isn't too bad at any given time; with Accursed, it's meant to be a big commitment that you can't reverse.

And regarding Commoner, yeah, having drawn your deck and discarding treasures for extra money is a major use case of that. But there are definitely others.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:43:13 pm »

Changes made:
Maniac: "When you gain or trash this, if you have Gullible or Paranoid, flip it over; otherwise, take Paranoid." -> "When you gain or trash this, if you have Gullible or Paranoid, flip it over; otherwise, take Gullible."
Companion: "Exchange this for a Toy. If you did, take Loyal, Friendly, or Naive." -> "Trash this. If you did, take Loyal, Friendly, or Naive."
Toy: Action - $1: +1 Card, +1 Action | While this is in play, when you gain a Companion, you may exchange this for a Companion (This is not in the Supply.)
Elixir: "$2. Gain a Gold." -> "$3, +1 Buy. Gain a Gold."
Hunted: "During your turns, if you do not have an Elixir in play, Treasures are also Actions that have no effect when played in the Buy phase." -> "During your turns, if you do not have an Elixir in play, Treasures are also Actions that give +$1 instead of their instructions when played in the Buy phase."
Knight Errant: "+$3. Each player (including you) reveals and discards the top 2 cards of their deck and gains a copy of a card they revealed costing from $3 to $6 that you choose." -> "+$3. Each player (including you) reveals and discards the top 3 cards of their deck and gains a copy of a card they revealed costing from $3 to $6 that you choose."
Slaughterhouse: "Trash a card from your hand. If it's an Action, +4 Cards and +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Sheep." -> "Trash a card from your hand. If it's an Action, +4 Cards and +2 Actions. Otherwise, gain a Sheep."
Invade: "Trash any number of Duchies and Provinces from your hand. Gain a Province per card trashed." -> "Once per turn: trash up to 2 Duchies and/orProvinces from your hand. Gain a Province per card trashed."

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 12:15:24 am »

Knight Errant ought to be an Attack card, IMO.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:18:28 am »
+1

Knight Errant ought to be an Attack card, IMO.

The problem is that you would have to choose whether to reveal your Moat before the cards are revealed... most of the time you are going to want that free card, given the cost restriction, but you might not if it’s a Silver or a terminal when you have too many... but unless you have a real good idea of what the top 3 cards of your deck are, I feel like most of the time you aren’t going to want to reveal your Moat because you want the chance of getting that free Village or $5 cost card. So maybe it should be an attack still, but even if it is I think the right move would be to not block it most of the time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 02:52:12 pm »

I'm a big fan of Underground Village, Companion, and Herding Town (and the idea of sheep in general as a mild attack). I don't have much helpful to say, but I just like the design of these three in particular.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.