Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest Discussion  (Read 4111 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Weekly Design Contest Discussion
« on: January 13, 2021, 06:31:24 am »
+2

Now that we've separated out the individual contests, it would be good to have a central place to discuss anything related to the organisation of the contest. This is that place! New contests can also be announced in here.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 06:19:43 pm »
+5

Maybe we can rename the posts as "contest X: y" where X is the contest number and y is a phrase related to the contest ("contest #101: you may flip your journey token" for example)
Who trashes the trashers?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 06:21:04 pm »
+1

Maybe we can rename the posts as "contest X: y" where X is the contest number and y is a phrase related to the contest ("contest #101: you may flip your journey token" for example)

I agree. This would make it much easier to find specific contests if you're looking for a specific one but don't remember which number it is.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 03:26:20 am »
+1

I agree. This would make it much easier to find specific contests if you're looking for a specific one but don't remember which number it is.
It is your thread, so you have the power to rename it!  ;)
Just edit the title in the opening post.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:37 pm »
+4

I'm liking this new space for the contests!

After each contest finishes, there is every reason to discuss entries and winners after they're finished, for improvements, refining judging, etc, which should be great.
That being the case, things could get confusing as their order changes around and the current contest awkward to find. So, maybe sticky the current contest? Do moderators have that power?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:36:48 pm »
+3

After each contest finishes, there is every reason to discuss entries and winners after they're finished, for improvements, refining judging, etc, which should be great.
That being the case, things could get confusing as their order changes around and the current contest awkward to find. So, maybe sticky the current contest? Do moderators have that power?

Agreed. I've often wanted to respond / discuss feedback for my entries* (e.g. from a recent Contest: Infusion / Cauldron) but it never felt appropriate once the new contest began. This is great!

* my plan was to move them to my own thread, but was usually too lazy to reiterate the entire discussion there.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:01 pm »

we've got that power 👍

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 06:09:00 pm »

Can someone remind me what the benefit of starting a new thread each week is supposed to be? (It is not immediately apparent.)

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
+4

Can someone remind me what the benefit of starting a new thread each week is supposed to be? (It is not immediately apparent.)
It's easier to find contests if you're looking back for them

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 10:20:54 pm »
+4

easier to find old cards from previous contests, and easier to continue conversation about cards after the contest when the situation requires it

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 03:45:53 pm »

Is it frowned upon to submit more than one entry to a contest? If I think I have two ideas both worth consideration, should I post them both?

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 04:29:17 pm »
+1

Is it frowned upon to submit more than one entry to a contest? If I think I have two ideas both worth consideration, should I post them both?

I don't think so. You can see the rules in this link, from first contest:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.0

UltimateGeek

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 09:23:24 am »
+2

I don't think so. You can see the rules in this link, from first contest:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.0

Thank you for pointing out the rules post. It would be nice if a moderator could pin a thread that contains the rules.

It clearly states only one entry is allowed:

6. ... and a person may only submit one entry to a challenge

So I guess technically, a bot could post multiple AI-generated submissions.  :P

J410

• Scout
  • Shuffle iT Username: J410
  • Smile! =J
  • Respect: +73
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 02:32:19 pm »
+2

Pulling this conversation out of the currently running WDC as it's a general issue.
Maybe we should have another rule: when the judge cannot post the result within 7 days after submission closing, [...]
It would indeed be good to have such ruling in place for future contests, and have that incorporated into the 'what do I do when I win' topic. Ideally there would be a secondary way to (temporarily) judge the contest (e.g. by a mod or community votes).
For the currently contest, it seems fair to allow at least 24 (or 48) hours for the host to post an update with a clear timetable for when things are going to be judged, and maybe even announcing the winner before posting full results so the next WDC can start. In the end, it's up to the mods to decide what happens next when the rules don't provide enough guidance.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 02:41:50 pm »
+2

Pulling this conversation out of the currently running WDC as it's a general issue.
Maybe we should have another rule: when the judge cannot post the result within 7 days after submission closing, [...]
It would indeed be good to have such ruling in place for future contests, and have that incorporated into the 'what do I do when I win' topic. Ideally there would be a secondary way to (temporarily) judge the contest (e.g. by a mod or community votes).
For the currently contest, it seems fair to allow at least 24 (or 48) hours for the host to post an update with a clear timetable for when things are going to be judged, and maybe even announcing the winner before posting full results so the next WDC can start. In the end, it's up to the mods to decide what happens next when the rules don't provide enough guidance.

I think when a judge has followed a contest closely (providing feedback for questions about the prompt, giving a 24 hr notice, announcing close-of-contest), a full week in 'emergency judging time' is fine, especially if they can check in either here or on discord and let us know that life has gotten in the way of the fan card contest for a game, played on a bbs forum; this is why we have the Fan Mechanic Contest and the holiday contests and what have you, so we can still get creative and competitive even when there's no current WDC.

If a judge is kind of absentee — just posts the prompt and leaves, hasn't logged in since — i can see the case for a mod stepping in and finishing the contest, but i think taking away someone's judging privileges because their job, which pays their bills, is demanding their time is worse in the long run for the contest.

Obviously there's plenty of middle ground here, but the overall vibe should be "take your time, check in, tag someone else in to cover for you if you need to; there's no shame in having to bail, but please be communicative about it".
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.