Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #101: You may turn your Journey token over  (Read 18427 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #101: You may turn your Journey token over
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2021, 03:34:16 pm »

The situation where you have 2 more pilgrims (after drawing) seems to be exactly when you want the + 1 Action.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2021, 05:44:57 pm »

Removed, ineligible
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:04:39 pm by D782802859 »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2021, 05:57:12 pm »

The contest is optional turning over of the Journey token. This doesn't qualify.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2021, 10:33:04 pm »

While this is indeed not strictly better than Forum, it is nonetheless better than it. A half Villager-Village is far stronger than the on-Buy effect of Forum.

Point taken. I'm considering making it "+1 Card and discard a card," or maybe some other bonus altogether. Forum is a pretty good card, not just because of it being buy-neutral. Fugitive as a card was too good to be a Kingdom card costing ④ according to Donald X., and this is, well, better than Fugitive on play.

I'm kind of worried that this is kind of a boring card. I gave it "+1 Villager" as a bonus just so it's easier on tracking, not really thinking too much about its power level.

Well, I should think some more about where I want to go with this card.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2021, 11:59:27 pm »

UPDATED TO:

- When at the start of your turn your token and the token of the player to your right match: If you do nothing, Janus is a Smithy. If you flip the token, Janus is a Village. If you play one as a Village, the second you play could be both, Village+Smithy. The next would be only a Village or only a Smithy again.

- When at the start of your turn tokens don't match: If you do nothing, its a Ruined Library, but there's no reason to do nothing, as you may flip the token over for it be a Village+Smithy. The next you play would be only a Village or only a Smithy.

The combined effect of each two Janus played when the first of them is not played as Smithy, is 2 Villages + Smithy or Village + 2 Smithies. If first is played as Smithy, there's no way to activate both effects in the next playing, so combined effect would be 2 Smithies or Village + Smithy.

The best situation at the start of the turn is when tokens don't match, so you can change the satus of your token at the end of your turn to make tokens match and leave to your opponent the worst situation for them. On the other hand, if you have reasons to believe the player to your right won't play Janus on their turn, it's better for you to make tokens unmatch.

Feedbacks are always welcome!

alion8me showed me at Discord that in fact the combined playing of two Janus was two Lost Cities, which would be too strong. Their comments also made me see that would be more interesting if you don't change token status at end of turn and be a part of playing decision how you would leave the tokens to opponent. So, I updated it again.

UPDATED VERSION:

With this version:

- If tokens match: If you do nothing, it's Smithy. If you turn token over it's Village. If you play the first as Village, the second one would be a Lost City and the third only a Village or Smithy.

- If tokens don't match: If you do nothing, it's a Moat, but there's no reason to do nothing, as you may turn the token over to it be a Lost City. Next one played would be only Village or Smithy.

If you want to leave tokens matching to your opponent for their first playing not be Lost City, your last play of it in your turn has to be Lost City or Smithy. If you think the player to your right won't play a Janus, is better for you leave tokens unmatched, playing last one as Village only.

As its condition isn't if it's up or down but the opponent token status, I think it would be interesting how it interacts with cards that cares about up/down face of Journey token.

Feedbacks are always welcome!

(Edited for better wording).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:12:08 am by Carline »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2021, 09:22:20 am »
+3

Village of the Dead
+1 Card, +1 Action. If u play this card the first time this turn, you may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up).
If your Journey token is facing up: +1$
Otherwise:+1 Action +1 Buy
Cost: 5   Action
Heirloom: Pumpkin Patch
$1
If your Journey token is facing up: +1$ +1 VP
Turn over your Journey token (it starts face up).
Cost: 4   Treasure Heirloom
Is it your intention that Pumpkin Patch produces $2 in your first shuffle?  I'm not a fan of such a change to the opening.  Is Pumpkin Patch's instruction "If your Journey token is face up: +$1 and +1VP and turn your token face down" or is it "If your Journey token is face up: +$1 and +1VP" and then either way "turn your Journey token over"?  I recommend maintaining consistency with other Journey token cards where turning the token face up is its stronger effect.

Snake Oil - $4
Treasure - Night
If it's your Buy phase: If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +$3. If you don't, +$2. If it's your Night phase, you may turn your Journey token over.
You could improve the wording by taking the +2$ out of the conditional, like so (with additional removal of some conditionals):
+2$
If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up) or it's your Night phase, you may turn it over for +1 Buy, +1$.
(it technically now gives coins and Buys even in the Night phase, but that should not matter.)
Producing $ during the Night phase can technically matter for Wine Merchant, but that's just a fun coincidence.  The change is worth the simplicity (though I often prefer combining identical resource production as Giant does).
Either way, Snake Oil still looks amazingly worse than Fool's Gold.  3 Snake Oils ($12 in 3 Buys) with setup produce +1 Buy and +$7 or otherwise produce +$6 where 3 Fool's Golds ($6 in 3 Buys) always produce +$9.  +Buys are nice, but stop cards are expensive in their own right.

Maudlin Witch
Types: Action, Attack, Reaction
Cost: $4
+$2. You may turn your Journey token over. If it's face down, gain a Copper and each other player gains a Curse.
If your Journey token is face up: When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand to trash it.
This ought to take a wording from Watchtower, as its current wording is ambiguous as to whether you are trashing the gained card or the Maudlin Witch.
Code: [Select]
If your Journey token is face up: When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand, to trash that card.I'm not all too excited to see more really bad $4-cost Cursers, considering gaining a Copper is nearly as bad and moreover frustrating if a player blocks it with their own Maudlin Witch (which you'll have to commit to gaining a Copper before other players gain, and therefore trash, that Curse).
I might rather the benefit be +$1 so it can gain a Silver.  That would make it worse at blocking Curses and make it marginally less bad when other players do block them.

Quay - Action Duration, $4 cost.
You may discard 2 cards to turn your Journey token over. Then, if it's face up, +4 Cards.
At the start of your next turn, if it's face down, +3 Cards.
I think something ought to be written on this to make it more clear that it stays in play even if your Journey token is face up.  The fact that it stays in play is a somewhat esoteric nerf to an otherwise-superior Smithy at cost.  And that aside this reads so similarly to Ranger being a draw card that uses your Journey token.
I might like it better if you had the option to feed it for each draw, because as is you will likely just set your token one way and then never turn it again.

Pilgrim
Types: Action
Cost: $5
If your Journey token is face up, +3 Cards. You may turn your Journey token over. If you do, +1 Action.
Whatever it is worth, being able to draw cards before you decide to turn your token makes it a lot stronger.  I think the benefit is pretty marginal in engines: If you need to flip your token, you're paying big for it later, so I imagine this will mostly be an expensive Smithy.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2021, 11:28:38 am »
+1

Snake Oil - $4
Treasure - Night
If it's your Buy phase: If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +$3. If you don't, +$2. If it's your Night phase, you may turn your Journey token over.
You could improve the wording by taking the +2$ out of the conditional, like so (with additional removal of some conditionals):
+2$
If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up) or it's your Night phase, you may turn it over for +1 Buy, +1$.
(it technically now gives coins and Buys even in the Night phase, but that should not matter.)
Producing $ during the Night phase can technically matter for Wine Merchant, but that's just a fun coincidence.  The change is worth the simplicity (though I often prefer combining identical resource production as Giant does).
Either way, Snake Oil still looks amazingly worse than Fool's Gold.  3 Snake Oils ($12 in 3 Buys) with setup produce +1 Buy and +$7 or otherwise produce +$6 where 3 Fool's Golds ($6 in 3 Buys) always produce +$9.  +Buys are nice, but stop cards are expensive in their own right.

Thanks for the feedback! I think one way Snake Oil differs from Fools Gold is that you do not necessarily want a bunch of Snake Oils. I agree the reward for setup of just +$1 and +1 Buy is pretty weak, so I was thinking of bumping it up to +$2 and +1 Buy. The concern there would be making it a no brainer first buy to guarantee an upgrade to Gold when you have Snake Oil and two Coppers or their equivalent. Not sure if it would be busted making an additional +$2 instead of +$1, or just really good as a one-of.

Edit: Updated my original entry HERE. Changed it to a $5 cost treasure. The concept just seems to function better in this form.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:05:10 pm by Xen3k »

Timinou

• Witch
  • Respect: +634
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2021, 11:51:13 am »
+1

Maudlin Witch
+$2. You may turn your Journey token over. If it's face down, gain a Copper and each other player gains a Curse.
If your Journey token is face up: When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand to trash it.
This ought to take a wording from Watchtower, as its current wording is ambiguous as to whether you are trashing the gained card or the Maudlin Witch.
If your Journey token is face up: When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand, to trash that card.I'm not all too excited to see more really bad $4-cost Cursers, considering gaining a Copper is nearly as bad and moreover frustrating if a player blocks it with their own Maudlin Witch (which you'll have to commit to gaining a Copper before other players gain, and therefore trash, that Curse).
I might rather the benefit be +$1 so it can gain a Silver.  That would make it worse at blocking Curses and make it marginally less bad when other players do block them.

Thank you for the feedback, Fragasnap!  I updated the wording in the OP to be similar to Watchtower.

I think you can make a calculated decision about whether or not you want to trigger the self-junking and try to curse other players based on whether or not they have a Maudlin Witch in their deck and whether their Journey tokens are face up or face down.  I did think about whether or not to have the self-junking; my concern was that without it, there isn't much incentive not to try and attack.  I could make it less harsh (e.g. discard a card instead of gain a Copper), but given the theme of the contest, I'm trying to make sure that players have a meaningful decision to make about whether or not to flip their Journey token. 

EDIT:  I thought about it some more, and revised the Reaction to trash another card from your hand.  This makes it more useful as a trasher and makes the Attack more effective unless there's another way to block it in the Kingdom. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:48:16 pm by Timinou »

Meta

• Baron
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2021, 12:03:00 pm »
+1

Village of the Dead
+1 Card, +1 Action. If u play this card the first time this turn, you may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up).
If your Journey token is facing up: +1$
Heirloom: Pumpkin Patch
$1
Is it your intention that Pumpkin Patch produces $2 in your first shuffle?  I'm not a fan of such a change to the opening.  Is Pumpkin Patch's instruction "If your Journey token is face up: +$1 and +1VP and turn your token face down" or is it "If your Journey token is face up: +$1 and +1VP" and then either way "turn your Journey token over"?  I recommend maintaining consistency with other Journey token cards where turning the token face up is its stronger effect.

Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean, the problem isn't the Pumpkin batch itself, it's the Village of the dead. I'll change it along with the Pumpkin batch, as the idea is to either facilitate Money or actions/buys, depending on the token. I hadn't considered the change to the opening, that's just a byproduct of this same mistake.

Translations:
-------------------------------------
Village of the dead

+1 Card
+1 Action
If this is the first time you've played a Village of the Dead this turn, you may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up).
If your Journey token is facing down: +1$
(actual wording on the card, due to space constraints)
If your Journey token is facing up: +1 Action +1 Buy
Otherwise +1$

Heirloom: Pumpkin patch
Pumpkin patch

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2021, 03:08:11 pm »

hmmmm

I like this. Just a nitpick: “Cards” and “Actions” should be capitalized.

oh yeah. spelling.
hmmmm. im wondering if this is overpowered with other journey cards on board?

to elaborate: Ranger and giants good effect are activated like this: you turn over the journey token, and if it is then up, you get X good effect

With pilgrim, you get X good effect if the token is up. Then, you may turn it for + 1 action

so say that you got a giant and a pilgrim, and your journey token is up. You play pilgrim, +3 cards because the token is face up. now, turn the token over for +1 action. now, play the giant. you flip the journey token from down to up, and get +5€ and the attack.

All this from two cards.

Ways to fix this: make it so that Pilgrims good effect is activated on down token?
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2021, 03:54:08 pm »
+3

I agree that this is an issue. The downside of your fix is that it makes Pilgrim worse. I'd say that's probably not worth it because the card being dead on the first play is too much of a nerf (especially on a card that's already on the weak side).

You can add a 'when you gain this, you may turn your journey token over' to remedy this.  That would add complexity, but it does actually have a neat synergy where you can re-activate pilgrims by buying another. It would also turn it from a weak 5$ to a strong 5$.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2021, 05:19:11 pm »

This is my first time submitting, so I appreciate feedback. I am not sure if a split pile meets the requirements but I saw others use it, so I hope it is acceptable.

Homebody
Action
$3
+2 Actions
If your Journey token is face down (it begins face up), +1VP. You may turn your Journey token over.

Wandering Soul
Action
$5
+3 Cards.
If your Journey token is face up (it begins face up), you may set an Action card from your hand aside; if you do, play that Action immediately after resolving this.
You may turn your Journey token over.
he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2021, 05:24:41 pm »

you may set an Action card from your hand aside; if you do, play that Action immediately after resolving this.

Welcome to the forums. Unless I'm missing something, isn't this effectively the same as +1 Action (barring Diadem)?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:26:09 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

emtzalex

• Jester
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2021, 06:45:55 pm »

Unless I'm missing something, isn't this effectively the same as +1 Action (barring Diadem)?

You're right. There were a lot of different versions, so it used to only play certain Actions. Here it is, simplified:

he/him/his

Thanks to Shard of Honor for his Extended Version of the Dominion Card Image Generator, which I use to mock up my fan cards, and to Violet CLM, who made the original.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2021, 10:43:48 pm »

I could see this at 3 but I'm not sure yet. Thoughts?

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2021, 12:23:42 am »

Yeah, it seems weak for $4. 
If your token is face up, stacking these would be effectively like playing Coppers unless you have other cards in your hand that draw.
Unless you know what you're going to draw in your hand in your future turns, it's hard to make an optimal choice about whether or not to flip your token during Clean-up.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2021, 12:34:03 am »

Maudlin Witch

Thank you for the feedback, Fragasnap!  I updated the wording in the OP to be similar to Watchtower.

I think you can make a calculated decision about whether or not you want to trigger the self-junking and try to curse other players based on whether or not they have a Maudlin Witch in their deck and whether their Journey tokens are face up or face down.  I did think about whether or not to have the self-junking; my concern was that without it, there isn't much incentive not to try and attack.  I could make it less harsh (e.g. discard a card instead of gain a Copper), but given the theme of the contest, I'm trying to make sure that players have a meaningful decision to make about whether or not to flip their Journey token. 

EDIT:  I thought about it some more, and revised the Reaction to trash another card from your hand.  This makes it more useful as a trasher and makes the Attack more effective unless there's another way to block it in the Kingdom. 

As worded, you can keep revealing the same Maudlin Witch to trash any number of cards from your hand. Is that intentional? I would assume not. (That also leads to infinite with Fortress + Tomb.)

To fix this, you could word it like "you may reveal a Maudlin Witch from your hand..." in order to cap it at 1 card gained = 1 card trashed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:40:37 am by Gubump »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2021, 12:59:50 am »

I could change it from "reveal this" to "discard this" but that weakens the Reaction. [EDIT: It could also say "set this aside...Return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.]

In any case, I'm not sure how this gives you infinite VP with Fortress and Tomb, unless you have infinite buys/gains?   
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:05:30 am by Timinou »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2021, 01:22:03 am »
+1

I could change it from "reveal this" to "discard this" but that weakens the Reaction. [EDIT: It could also say "set this aside...Return this to your hand at the start of your next turn.]

In any case, I'm not sure how this gives you infinite VP with Fortress and Tomb, unless you have infinite buys/gains?   

You gain a Copper. You reveal Maudlin Witch to trash Fortress for +1. You reveal the same Maudlin Witch to trash the same Fortress for +1. You reveal the same Maudlin Witch once again to trash the same Fortress once again for +1, ad infinitum. There's no rule preventing you from revealing the same Maudlin Witch over and over and over again off the same gain, and that's because there would be no way to prove whether you're revealing the same Maudlin Witch or a different one that's also in your hand. That's why all official Reaction cards either remove themselves from your hand or have effects that don't stack.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:24:17 am by Gubump »

Timinou

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2021, 01:29:54 am »

You gain a Copper. You reveal Maudlin Witch to trash Fortress for +1. You reveal the same Maudlin Witch to trash the same Fortress for +1. You reveal the same Maudlin Witch once again to trash the same Fortress once again for +1, ad infinitum. There's no rule preventing you from revealing the same Maudlin Witch over and over and over again off the same gain. That's why all official Reaction cards either remove themselves from your hand or have effects that don't stack.

Ah OK - I didn't realize that is how reveals work. 

That is indeed problematic, and I'm not sure if the wording you suggested earlier would fix it since you could just reveal the same Maudlin Witch even if it says "reveal a Maudlin Witch".

I did want it to allow you to trash more than one card from your hand with multiple gains, but I don't really see a way around it other than discarding/setting it aside.

EDIT:  I've updated it like so:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:36:24 am by Timinou »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:15 am »
+1

You may discard 2 cards to turn your Journey token over. Then, if it's face up, +4 Cards.
I think something ought to be written on this to make it more clear that it stays in play even if your Journey token is face up.  The fact that it stays in play is a somewhat esoteric nerf to an otherwise-superior Smithy at cost.  And that aside this reads so similarly to Ranger being a draw card that uses your Journey token.
I might like it better if you had the option to feed it for each draw, because as is you will likely just set your token one way and then never turn it again.

The Ranger similarity annoyed me as well, it's just better. Here's a third new entry that I feel takes on a better premise:
Trade Union - Project, $3 cost.
At the start of your turn, you may turn your Journey token over. When you gain a card, if the token is face down, put it onto your deck, or if face up, Exile a card from your hand.
Choose your mode each turn. Exile rather than trash to be less harsh during greening.

fika monster

• Witch
  • 27 year old swedish guy. PFP by haps
  • Respect: +459
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2021, 09:22:20 am »
+1

hmmmm

I like this. Just a nitpick: “Cards” and “Actions” should be capitalized.

oh yeah. spelling.

I decided to make Pilgrims good effect activate on "face down", but to add silverspawns suggested "when you gain this, you may turn your Journey Token over. I like this suggestion for the obvious reasons, but it also makes Pilgrimage really cool (hey, they have the same word! you could say the pilgrim leads the pilgrimage :D)
Swedish guy, Furry hipster otter

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2021, 09:31:09 am »
+3

The Ranger similarity annoyed me as well, it's just better. Here's a third new entry that I feel takes on a better premise:
Trade Union - Project, $3 cost.
At the start of your turn, you may turn your Journey token over. When you gain a card, if the token is face down, put it onto your deck, or if face up, Exile a card from your hand.
Choose your mode each turn. Exile rather than trash to be less harsh during greening.
This is better than Cathedral in three ways:
- Exile instead of trash
- later than at the start of your turn
- potentially several cards instead of just one
- you can not merely deactivate it but also get a neat global effect when you do so (that is admittedly bad when you green, but when you have enough draw power you don't need to flip the token but rather Exile the very Province(s) you gained last turn).

This is beyond crazy. Cathedral is at least sometimes, albeit very rarely, bad and makes you think a little bit about it during the start of the game.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2021, 03:27:26 pm »

Logging Camp - $3 - Action-Attack (2 Player version)
+1 Buy
Choose one: Turn your Journey token over; or each other player turns their Journey token over.
If your Journey token is face up, +$2 per face up Journey token.

Logging Camp - $3 - Action-Attack (3+ Player version)
+1 Buy
Choose one: Turn your Journey token over; or each other player turns their Journey token over.
If your Journey token is face up, +$1 per face up Journey token.

two variations of the card, depending on player count (this is on the card itself where the art credit usually is). Does making another player flip their Journey token count as an attack? I think it counts.
Withdrew my earlier entry

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2021, 06:55:43 pm »
+4

24 hour warning!

Here's the list of submissions. Let me know if I'm missing your submission or linking to the wrong version.

Frontier Village, by pubby
Astrolabe/Surveyor, by faust
Cabal, by LibraryAdventurer
Sea Fog, by Mahowrath
Trade Union, by Aquila
Homestead, by Fragasnap
Migrant Tribe, by MochaMoko
Curio Merchant/Automaton, by Erick648
Janus, by Carline
Snake Oil, by Xen3k
Maudlin Witch, by Timinou
Village of the Dead/Pumpkin Patch, by Meta
Fortified Village, by scolapasta
Homebody/Wandering Soul, by emtzalex
Village Children, by D782802859
Pilgrim, by fika monster
Logging Camp, by spineflu

EDIT: Corrected Meta's submission's link.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 02:18:28 pm by Gubump »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.