Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #101: You may turn your Journey token over  (Read 18415 times)

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #101: You may turn your Journey token over
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 04:25:39 pm »

If you want the image to show up properly, go to the link, right click on the image, select "view image," and paste that url into the [ img ] [ /img ].

Thanks Gubump; I'd missed the link wasn't a file location.

Cheers for the welcome BBobb

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 05:38:29 pm »

Homestead
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1 Card, +2 Actions. If your Journey token is face down, you may turn it face up for +2 Cards.
When you discard this from play, if you have at least $2 unspent, you may turn over your Journey token.
Homestead is a $4-cost Village that gives you +3 Cards and +2 Actions once each turn provided you "pay" for it with a Wine Merchant-like condition.  It only gives you the strong effect when turning face up, so it should play nice with other Journey token effects.  You can also use it as a Village and simply hold back the $2 to activate other Journey token effects each turn.

Should the amount of $ held back to flip be greater? I thought matching Wine Merchant made it simpler and it sounds nice with Giant and Ranger, but Pilgrimage for $6 is pretty bonkers (buying it twice for $8 would often be the right move if it wasn't "once per turn").  Making it cost $4 to flip your token sounds pretty bad on its own.  It seems like Journey token effects will just have to stomach sometimes making each other really strong, Pilgrimage more than most.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 08:35:06 pm »

Migrant Tribe ⑤ Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may turn over your
Journey token to get
+2 Cards and discard 2 cards.
Then, if your Journey token
is face up, +1 Villager.

It's a Villager Village that can also be Forum if you want it to (This isn't strictly better than Forum because Forum is buy-neutral).
You have all the stuff you want in hand? Then you can stay put and rack up some villagers. If you need the sifting, it'll be a little bit before you can settle down again.

(14 Jan Edit: removed "(it starts face up)".)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 01:06:53 am by MochaMoko »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:13 pm »

Migrant Tribe ⑤ Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may turn over your Journey
token (it starts face up) to get
+2 Cards and discard 2 cards.
Then, if your Journey token
is face up,+1 Villager.

It's a Villager Village that can also be Forum if you want it to (This isn't strictly better than Forum because Forum is buy-neutral).
You have all the stuff you want in hand? Then you can stay put and rack up some villagers. If you need the sifting, it'll be a little bit before you can settle down again.

Just to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly, having your Journey token face up gets you +1 Villager regardless of whether you turned it over, right?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:41:01 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

MochaMoko

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: MochaMoko
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 08:39:50 pm »
+1

Just to make sure I'm interpreting this correctly, having your Journey token face up gets you +1 Villager regardless of whether you turned it over, right?

Correct.

Astrolabe - $4
Treasure

+1 Action
Reveal your hand and discard the Treasures for +$2 each.
You may flip your Journey token over (it starts face up). If you did, and it's face down, return to your Action phase.

Astrolabe sounds very interesting, and it works excellently with DtX. It seems like it can give a lot of money early on, if you use terminal draw and draw it with several Coppers. That effect alone on a Treasure card feels good enough to make it worth ④ (though it would probably be a rather situational card).
I'm worried that remembering how many coins it gave will be difficult once the Action phase shenaniganery kicks in, but it's not too big of a deal, I guess. It seems uncommon to be able to activate an Astrolabe more than once a turn (only one player will be able to do that even in 2p). In 3-4p, the limited amount of Astrolabes means that some will not be able to activate an Astrolabe even once a turn. That's a little sad.

Surveyor - $5
Action

Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
If your Journey token is face up, +1 Card, +1 Action.
Surveyor looks like a good card on its own, but from what I'm reading, it actually sounds kind of underwhelming when used with Astrolabe. 'Cause if you return to the Action phase with Astrolabe, it's now only a Watchtower instead of an awesome non-terminal Dt7. I'm sure that's what you intended, but it just feels a little sad that this card is buried under a bunch of Astrolabes. Though since Astrolabe is a Village, it'll probably be alright still. I can play one before I play an Astrolabe, have another one in my hand, Astrolabe back to my Action phase, and draw to 6 with an Action left, I guess. That's not too bad.

I think Astrolabe would still be a fine card if it were a pile of 10 cards. (Yeah, it would love to work with DtX, but it's still a Village, or a half-Village, sort of.) Though maybe that isn't so appealing, specifically because people will be able to activate Astrolabe more than once a turn.

Cabal
$4 Action
You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$2.
-
While this is in play, if your Journey token is face up, when you buy a card, gain a Copper, and you may not buy Victory cards.

A conspirator variant. You don't want to play just one in a turn. The more, the better.

As the first playing is terminal and doesn't draw, the average result of two Cabals is $1 per playing, half than a non-activated Conspirator.

The first play can already be the activated Conspirator, because your token starts face-up. Your last Cabal will have to "shut the doors" and be a terminal nothing-card, though, if you don't want to get hurt.

I think it really hurts that for every Cabal in play, you gain a Copper. It makes the prospect of leaving your behind open a lot less appealing as you continue, which is kind of a shame, because I think that's when I'd rather think about maybe leaving my token up. Like with Treasury (but wayy better than Treasury), it works great with Events, especially Events that give you VP. Uh, and especially especially Triumph. I think this card is quite strong.

Ambition - Event, $4 cost.
Move your Journey token onto an Action Supply pile. When you play a card from that pile, if the token is face up, first get +1 Card. When a card is gained from that pile, turn your token over.

The player interaction is cute. I sounds like it could be similar to some Flag war. Imagine when your token is out of sync with your opponent's!
Ah, I just realized this -- the thing is, if you buy the Event when your desired Action Supply pile has an even amount of cards (or is just empty -- would you know it, zero is an even number), it turns out to just be a cheap Pathfinding in the end, once the pile depletes (which it sure will if the cards are all Pathfound), as long as there isn't any returning-to-pile or gaining-from-trash or exiling/trashing-from-Supply shenaniganery that will sabotage your plot. This leads me to think that the fundamental mechanic on this Event is kind of broken on most boards.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:32:30 pm by MochaMoko »

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +628
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:02 pm »

Curio Merchant
Action
+3 Cards
+1 Buy
You may turn your Journey token over.  If you do, and it's face up, you may take the Automaton.

Automaton
Artifact
Directly after you finish playing an Action card, you may discard a card for +1 Villager if your Journey token is face up or for +1 Coffer if your Journey token is face down.
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 09:58:44 pm »

Ambition - Event, $4 cost.
Move your Journey token onto an Action Supply pile. When you play a card from that pile, if the token is face up, first get +1 Card. When a card is gained from that pile, turn your token over.

The player interaction is cute. I sounds like it could be similar to some Flag war. Imagine when your token is out of sync with your opponent's!
Ah, I just realized this -- the thing is, if you buy the Event when your desired Action Supply pile has an even amount of cards (or is just empty -- would you know it, zero is an even number), it turns out to just be a cheap Pathfinding in the end, once the pile depletes (which it sure will if the cards are all Pathfound), as long as there isn't any returning-to-pile or gaining-from-trash or exiling/trashing-from-Supply shenaniganery that will sabotage your plot. This leads me to think that the fundamental mechanic on this Event is kind of broken on most boards.

Another major flaw (I can say this even though I'm the judge because it's disqualified anyway) is that Port and Experiment completely break it, since you get two of them at a time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:13:02 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 10:19:42 pm »

UPDATED TO:

UPDATED AGAIN TO:

- If tokens match: If you do nothing, it's Smithy. If you turn token over it's Village. If you play the first as Village, the second one would be a Lost City and the third only a Village or Smithy.

- If tokens don't match: If you do nothing, it's a Moat, but there's no reason to do nothing, as you may turn the token over to it be a Lost City. Next one played would be only Village or Smithy.

If you want to leave tokens matching to your opponent for their first playing not be Lost City, your last play of it in your turn has to be Lost City or Smithy. If you think the player to your right won't play a Janus, is better for you leave tokens unmatched, playing last one as Village only.

As its condition isn't if it's up or down but the opponent token status, I think it would be interesting how it interacts with cards that cares about up/down face of Journey token.

Feedbacks are always welcome!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:13:25 am by Carline »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 10:37:23 pm »

Cabal
$4 Action
You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$2.
-
While this is in play, if your Journey token is face up, when you buy a card, gain a Copper, and you may not buy Victory cards.

A conspirator variant. You don't want to play just one in a turn. The more, the better.

As the first playing is terminal and doesn't draw, the average result of two Cabals is $1 per playing, half than a non-activated Conspirator.

The first play can already be the activated Conspirator, because your token starts face-up. Your last Cabal will have to "shut the doors" and be a terminal nothing-card, though, if you don't want to get hurt.

I think it really hurts that for every Cabal in play, you gain a Copper. It makes the prospect of leaving your behind open a lot less appealing as you continue, which is kind of a shame, because I think that's when I'd rather think about maybe leaving my token up. Like with Treasury (but wayy better than Treasury), it works great with Events, especially Events that give you VP. Uh, and especially especially Triumph. I think this card is quite strong.

I didn't realize before that it would make you gain a Copper for each buy times each Cabal in play when face-up. I'll fix that and make it "When you have any Cabals in play".
Do you think I should make part of the effect unconditional?
(Would it be confusing if it said "+$1. You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1" ?)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:41:18 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Xen3k

• Tactician
  • Respect: +581
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 10:41:28 pm »
+1

Snake Oil - $5
Treasure - Night
$2
If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up) or it's your Night phase, you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +$2.

This is a really difficult competition. I am going with a design that I am not sure is appealing, let alone balanced. Similar to Stockpile or Fools Gold, this has a conditionally greater value than expected. However unlike the examples, getting multiple copies of it does not produce a huge payload. It may be a bit weak as it currently is, but was told it looked busted if it produced more or was cheaper. Feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Changed wording to be more clear. Changed price to $3, may still be a bit weak.

Edit2: Changed per the suggestion of LibraryAdventurer.

Edit3: A complete rework on the layout. Looks much more presentable. Thanks goes to LibraryAdventurer, once again.

Edit4: Changed the intent of the card. Not gonna compete with Fools Gold as a cheap conditional treasure. Now it acts more like a Silver you can save for later use alongside another Snake Oil. It costs $5 now to prevent it being an easy early game pick up to accelerate you. Could still feel weak, but now should feel more enjoyable to use.

Old Versions
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:23:56 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 10:47:46 pm »

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night
If it's your Buy phase, you may turn your face down Journey token over (it starts face up) for +1 Buy and +$3, otherwise +$1. If it's your Night phase, you may turn your Journey token over.

This is a really difficult competition. I am going with a design that I am not sure is appealing, let along balanced. Similar to Stockpile or Fools Gold, this has a conditionally greater value than expected. However unlike the examples, getting multiple copies of it does not produce a huge payload. It may be a bit weak as it currently is, but was told it looked busted if it produced more or was cheaper. Feedback is appreciated.

In order to make this harder to misread, I recommend wording it like:
If it's your Buy phase:
If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +. If you don't, +.
If it's your Night phase,...
I misread it at first and was very confused.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:51:59 pm by Gubump »

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:58 pm »

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night
If it's your Buy phase, you may turn your face down Journey token over (it starts face up) for +1 Buy and +$3, otherwise +$1. If it's your Night phase, you may turn your Journey token over.

This is a really difficult competition. I am going with a design that I am not sure is appealing, let along balanced. Similar to Stockpile or Fools Gold, this has a conditionally greater value than expected. However unlike the examples, getting multiple copies of it does not produce a huge payload. It may be a bit weak as it currently is, but was told it looked busted if it produced more or was cheaper. Feedback is appreciated.

I recommend wording this "If it's your Buy phase: If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +. If you don't, +. If it's your Night phase..." to make it harder to misread. I misread it at first and was very confused.
Like this?
"If it's your Buy phase and your Journey token is face down, you may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up) for +1 Buy and +$3, otherwise +$1."
The concern I have is that it would give the impression it will not produce +$1 if the Journey token is face up.

Edit: I am gonna try and make an adjustment.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:53:31 pm by Xen3k »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2021, 10:52:31 pm »
+1

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night

I recommend wording this "If it's your Buy phase: If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +. If you don't, +. If it's your Night phase..." to make it harder to misread. I misread it at first and was very confused.
Like this?
"If it's your Buy phase and your Journey token is face down, you may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up) for +1 Buy and +$3, otherwise +$1."
The concern I have is that it would give the impression it will not produce +$1 if the Journey token is face up.

I made an edit with a better wording while you were responding.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:53:34 pm by Gubump »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2021, 10:59:03 pm »

Could I let the instructions "Journey tokens start game face-up" to the rules or I should write it on the card? I don't want to write, if it would not be imperative.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2021, 11:04:05 pm »
+1

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night

This is overpriced. The only thing that makes this better than Fool's Gold is the +Buy. Fool's Gold can be stronger if you have more of them (and another source of +buy) because only one Snake Oil per turn can give $3.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 11:08:46 pm »

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night

Like this?

I made an edit with a better wording while you were responding.

That is much more concise than what I was going to change it to. Thanks! Original post updated with new wording.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 11:10:38 pm »
+1

Could I let the instructions "Journey tokens start game face-up" to the rules or I should write it on the card? I don't want to write, if it would not be imperative.

You can leave it out. I feel like the "(it starts face up)" is kind of like the "when you play this" that Treasures used to have, in that it isn't really necessary and can just be left to the rulebook.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:51 pm »

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night

This is overpriced. The only thing that makes this better than Fool's Gold is the +Buy. Fool's Gold can be stronger if you have more of them (and another source of +buy) because only one Snake Oil per turn can give $3.

I originally had it priced at $2, but was told that looked busted. It may just not be a workable concept to have a "reverse" Fools Gold, but I wanted to give it a shot.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 11:23:50 pm »

Does the wording make it clear that the part after the "Then,.." applies anyway and not only when you turn the token over?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 11:27:01 pm »
+1

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night

I originally had it priced at $2, but was told that looked busted. It may just not be a workable concept to have a "reverse" Fools Gold, but I wanted to give it a shot.
I'd suggest making it give $2 when you don't turn it face-up. Then it's good at $4 cost (and not too much better than Silver because you still have to play one at night for no coin in order to get the $3 and a Buy next time).

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2021, 11:32:49 pm »
+1

Does the wording make it clear that the part after the "Then,.." applies anyway and not only when you turn the token over?

Yes, it does.

Xen3k

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2021, 11:35:36 pm »
+1

Snake - Oil
Treasure - Night

I'd suggest making it give $2 when you don't turn it face-up. Then it's good at $4 cost (and not too much better than Silver because you still have to play one at night for no coin in order to get the $3 and a Buy next time).

Yeah, that looks much better than what I was trying to do. Idea implemented. Thanks for the feedback and help!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2021, 12:34:22 am »
+1

Snake Oil - $4
Treasure - Night
If it's your Buy phase: If your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +$3. If you don't, +$2. If it's your Night phase, you may turn your Journey token over.

Just realized: Since its Buy phase effect always gives at least +, you could shorten this by rewording it as:
If it's your Buy phase, + and if your Journey token is face down (it starts face up), you may turn it over for +1 Buy and +. If it's your Night phase, you may turn your Journey token over.
You could also drop the "you may" from the Night phase effect, since you could just not bother playing it if you don't want to turn your Journey token over (since the Night phase effect does nothing but flip your Journey token), and it would still qualify because of the Buy phase effect.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2021, 12:36:02 am »
+1

Yes, it does.

UPDATE TO MY ENTRY:

Updated to invert effects. I put Village on turn over and Smithy when tokens status match.

This way:

- When at the start of your turn your token and the token of the player to your right match: If you do nothing, Janus is a Smithy. If you flip the token, Janus is a Village. If you play one as a Village, the second you play could be both, Village+Smithy. The next would be only a Village or only a Smithy again.

- When at the start of your turn tokens don't match: If you do nothing, its a Ruined Library, but there's no reason to do nothing, as you may flip the token over for it be a Village+Smithy. The next you play would be only a Village or only a Smithy.

The combined effect of each two Janus played when the first of them is not played as Smithy, is 2 Villages + Smithy or Village + 2 Smithies. If first is played as Smithy, there's no way to activate both effects in the next playing, so combined effect would be 2 Smithies or Village + Smithy.

The best situation at the start of the turn is when tokens don't match, so you can change the satus of your token at the end of your turn to make tokens match and leave to your opponent the worst situation for them. On the other hand, if you have reasons to believe the player to your right won't play Janus on their turn, it's better for you to make tokens unmatch.

Feedbacks are always welcome!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:28:55 pm by Carline »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2021, 03:54:45 am »

Astrolabe - $4
Treasure

+1 Action
Reveal your hand and discard the Treasures for +$2 each.
You may flip your Journey token over (it starts face up). If you did, and it's face down, return to your Action phase.

Astrolabe sounds very interesting, and it works excellently with DtX. It seems like it can give a lot of money early on, if you use terminal draw and draw it with several Coppers. That effect alone on a Treasure card feels good enough to make it worth ④ (though it would probably be a rather situational card).
I'm worried that remembering how many coins it gave will be difficult once the Action phase shenaniganery kicks in, but it's not too big of a deal, I guess. It seems uncommon to be able to activate an Astrolabe more than once a turn (only one player will be able to do that even in 2p). In 3-4p, the limited amount of Astrolabes means that some will not be able to activate an Astrolabe even once a turn. That's a little sad.

Surveyor - $5
Action

Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
If your Journey token is face up, +1 Card, +1 Action.
Surveyor looks like a good card on its own, but from what I'm reading, it actually sounds kind of underwhelming when used with Astrolabe. 'Cause if you return to the Action phase with Astrolabe, it's now only a Watchtower instead of an awesome non-terminal Dt7. I'm sure that's what you intended, but it just feels a little sad that this card is buried under a bunch of Astrolabes. Though since Astrolabe is a Village, it'll probably be alright still. I can play one before I play an Astrolabe, have another one in my hand, Astrolabe back to my Action phase, and draw to 6 with an Action left, I guess. That's not too bad.

I think Astrolabe would still be a fine card if it were a pile of 10 cards. (Yeah, it would love to work with DtX, but it's still a Village, or a half-Village, sort of.) Though maybe that isn't so appealing, specifically because people will be able to activate Astrolabe more than once a turn.

Thanks for the commentary! I think you missed an important point on Astrolabe: it is very hard to activate more than once per turn. Since playing an Astrolabe discards all other Astrolabes from your hand, it is very hard to play more than one per buy phase.

The point of Surveyor is in part that it doesn't fully synergize with Astrolabe. This is so that the player who wins the Astrolabe split doesn't also benefit from having powered-up Surveyors; rather, it allows for players who ended up with few/no Astrolabes to get access to a powerful card as a catch-up mechanic. I think Surveyor would be too good as its own pile (maybe it would work if it turned the Journey token).

I realize though that the theming of these cards could be improved... it doesn't make a ton of sense that the Surveyors that don't have any Astrolabes are more effective.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 22 queries.