Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contest #101: You may turn your Journey token over  (Read 18330 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
+5

Thanks for all the kind words, spheremonk. I'm glad you liked my card.

Without any further ado:
Contest #101: "You may turn your Journey token over."

Design a card (or card shaped thing, it doesn't have to be a Kingdom card) that uses "you may turn your Journey token over." Of course, it should do something that prevents it from being effectively the same as a choose one; it could make you vulnerable while the Journey token is in a given state a la Kudasai's Lancers, for example.

Another note, please do not submit a card that you've previously posted on the forums, such as the aforementioned Lancers, even if you posted it as a submission to a previous WDC. I tend to be biased in favor of new cards/cards I haven't already seen, and I want to avoid that as much as I can.

My judging criteria will focus on balance, playability, fun, and creativity.

P.S. Edit: Any submissions that would be better suited as a "choose one:" will be disqualified (don't worry, I'll let you know ASAP if your submission won't work).

P.P.S. Edit: A couple of things I should've mentioned earlier:
1. Your submission doesn't necessarily have to say "you may turn your Journey token over" word for word, it just has to optionally allow you to turn it over. It can even be conditional if you want.
2. The effect of turning your Journey token over doesn't necessarily have to be on-play. It could be an on-call effect on a Reserve card, or a Reaction effect, whatever you want (within reason).

P.P.P.S. Edit: Some further clarifications:
If the condition for turning your Journey token over is something passive like "if you have 5 or more Actions in play" or when a specific event occurs, then turning your Journey token at that point has to be optional, even if triggering that specific event or meeting that condition is optional to begin with.
Reaction cards that flip your Journey token over as part of its Reaction automatically qualify (unless it's a mandatory Reaction like Patron's) since revealing it is optional. Same with calling Reserve cards.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:57:27 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #101
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »
+4

A cheaper village that can also be used for remodel tricks. Plus, it's pretty good with the adventures journey cards. But it's tricky to buy!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:28:44 pm by pubby »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:08:51 pm »
+2

A cheaper village that can also be used for remodel tricks. Plus, it's pretty good with the adventures journey cards. But it's tricky to buy!

What happens if I play 3 Bridges? There are 2 ways that can work:
1. The 3 Bridges first try to reduce Frontier Village's cost to -, dropping it to instead, then Frontier Village passively raises its own cost by , ending with a cost of .
2. Frontier Village passively raises its cost by to , then the 3 Bridges reduce its cost to .

In order to address this issue, I would recommend changing it to:

Cost
This costs less if your Journey token is face up (it starts face up).

This is functionally identical to interpretation #2, but is unambiguous.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:13:46 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:29:00 pm »

I would recommend changing it to:

Cost
This costs less if your Journey token is face up (it starts face up).

This is functionally identical to interpretation #2, but is unambiguous.

Seems like a reasonable fix, thanks!

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 09:26:46 pm »
+4

Now that this topic moved to subboard, maybe would be good to move Hall of Fame for this same subboard.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19239.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 10:09:39 pm »

yall mind if I split out contest 101 to its own thread?
I'm not sure why I have mod powers or who gave them to me but I guess I'll use them to keep things organized

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:13:17 pm »
+1

I'm not sure why I have mod powers or who gave them to me but I guess I'll use them to keep things organized

Go ahead.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 01:06:50 am »
+1

I saw that you did most of the latest work on the hall of fame, so I nominated you  ;D
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 01:58:28 pm »

This is a tough contest.

Grant • $5 • Action - Attack
You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If you do, +$2 and trash a card from your hand.
-
While this is in play: if your Journey token is face up, when you buy a Duchy, each other player gains an Estate; Otherwise, when you buy a Gold, each other player gains a Copper and a Silver.

Two flavors of junking (and good for piling out the lesser victory cards). I kept coming up with designs that effectively were "choose one"s or ended up with microtext. The trashing is because this is probably a power junker. It was originally named "Bestow" but i didn't like the name of a non-event / non-remodel being a verb so now it's ambiguous whether i mean the verb or the noun.

EDIT: withdrawing this, entering a different card.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:31:14 am by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 01:31:49 am »
+1

A couple notes I forgot to mention that might make this contest a bit easier for people (the very low amount of submissions seems to suggest that I might've made the prompt too difficult):

1. Your submission doesn't necessarily have to say "you may turn your Journey token over" word for word, it just has to optionally allow you to turn it over. It can even be conditional if you want.
2. The effect of turning your Journey token over doesn't necessarily have to be on-play. It could be an on-call effect on a Reserve card, or a Reaction effect, whatever you want (within reason).

I'll add these to the OP as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:36:06 am by Gubump »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 04:52:19 am »
+2

It was definitely a bit of a challenge. I feel like the contest lends itself to a split pile though.

Astrolabe - $4
Treasure

+1 Action
Reveal your hand and discard the Treasures for +$2 each.
You may flip your Journey token over (it starts face up). If you did, and it's face down, return to your Action phase.
Surveyor - $5
Action

Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
If your Journey token is face up, +1 Card, +1 Action.

The split is the usual 5/5, with Astrolabe on top.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:53:35 am by faust »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 05:09:36 am »

The Frontier Village/Ranger combo is quite ridiculous, same with other Journey token cards. I feel like it would be better for Frontier Village to provide its bonus when the token is face up, but I'm not sure there's a good way to do that and still have your concept work.

Of course there's only 3 official Journey token cards, maybe it's fine for these combos to exist.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:39 am »
+2

I've always disliked the idea of cards that reward the journey token for being down. The fact that it only matters for a few interactions can't be a reason to do it. (It's dumb but it'll only occasionally matter so it's fine?) It doesn't fit with the concept; the idea of the journey token is that you have to get a weaker thing first to get a stronger thing later.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 05:36:47 am »
+1

I've always disliked the idea of cards that reward the journey token for being down. The fact that it only matters for a few interactions can't be a reason to do it. (It's dumb but it'll only occasionally matter so it's fine?) It doesn't fit with the concept; the idea of the journey token is that you have to get a weaker thing first to get a stronger thing later.

idk i think it's more pragmatic to view it as a two-state toggle, like "is the discard pile empty" on Fisherman or Swashbuckler, but with a more even/predictable value distribution than those. Like, I get that it's a Journey, but it's the tool we have for an evenly-splitting two state toggle, right?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:40:34 am by spineflu »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 06:04:09 am »
+3

I think the concept weaker thing/strong thing as original needs the compulsory flip over to works properly. As the rules of the contest are optional flip, players need a good reason to want to flip the token over to both faces.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:13:13 am by Carline »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1664
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest #101: You may turn your Journey token over
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:49 am »

Cabal
$4 Action
You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$2.
-
While you have any Cabals in play, if your Journey token is face up, when you buy a card, gain a Copper, and you may not buy Victory cards.

A conspirator variant. You don't want to play just one in a turn. The more, the better.

EDIT: previously was "While this is in play".
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:39:02 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 06:28:47 am »

Cabal
$4 Action
You may turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). Then, if it's face up, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$2.
-
While this is in play, if your Journey token is face up, when you buy a card, gain a Copper, and you may not buy Victory cards.

A conspirator variant. You don't want to play just one in a turn. The more, the better.

(As the first playing is terminal and doesn't draw, the average result of two Cabals is $1 per playing, half than a non-activated Conspirator.)

Edit: Nevermind, I misread it, as it would have a "if you did" clause, but not, you may leave it up if you want and take the bonus. It is as I said only if you want to avoid the Copper penalty and play a second Cabal as terminal only to turn the token over.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:04:32 pm by Carline »

Mahowrath

• Spy
  • Respect: +192
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 08:18:05 am »
+1

Cheers for the mechanic idea, this will be going into my fancard set regardless:
(link: https://ibb.co/hY1XBBs)

Sea Fog - $4
Action - Reaction - Duration
You may turn your journey token over (it starts face up). While it is face up and this is in play, you are unaffected by attacks.
Now and at the beginning of your next turn, draw until you have 6 Cards in hand.
-
When another player plays an Attack Card, and your journey token is face down, you may first reveal this from your hand to be unaffected by it.

Sea Fog started out as a "lighthouse you can play in response to attacks", with double-dtx, as a both sudden-but-lingering defensive measure for foggy flavour. However, the lack of particular drawback for being able to play both ways, combined with the ugly double draw to 6 when played in response, left the card a little sad, and it didn't make the cut when I showcased some cards to Reddit.
The adventure token mechanic really gave Sea Fog a second wind. Being non-terminal already, it doesn't particularly abuse the mechanic when combined with existing adventurers. Now the player has to choose whether to protect now or later, which feels more balanced and tactical.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:27:59 pm by Mahowrath »

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:27 am »
+1

Cheers for the mechanic idea, this will be going into my fancard set regardless:

Sea Fog - $4
You may turn your journey token over (it starts face up). While it is face up and this is in play, you are unaffected by attacks.
Now and at the beginning of your next turn, draw until you have 6 Cards in hand.
-
When another player plays an Attack Card, and your journey token is face down, you may first reveal this from your hand to be unaffected by it.
Welcome to the Forums!

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 12:42:37 pm »
+1

Selected entry:
Quay - Action Duration, $4 cost.
You may discard 2 cards to turn your Journey token over. Then, if it's face up, +4 Cards.
At the start of your next turn, if it's face down, +3 Cards, otherwise 0.

Former entries:
Trade Union - Project, $3 cost.
At the start of your turn, you may turn your Journey token over. When you gain a card, if the token is face down, put it onto your deck, or if face up, Exile a card from your hand.
Ambition - Event, $4 cost.
Move your Journey token onto an Action Supply pile. When you play a card from that pile, if the token is face up, first get +1 Card. When a card is gained from that pile, turn your token over.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:49:30 am by Aquila »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1413
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 01:14:12 pm »
+2

I think that this is far too good relative to Pathfinding. Pathfinding has the tension of "normal building" vs. striving to spike in order to early hit $8.
This doesn't, you only have an incentive to quickly run out a pile and then Lab-ify it "en passant", without any effort.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 01:41:32 pm »

Ambition - Event, $4 cost.
Move your Journey token onto an Action Supply pile. When you play a card from that pile, if the token is face up, first get +1 Card. When a card is gained from that pile, turn your token over.
Thanks for the new qualifications gubump. The (it starts face up) bit feels like the kind of thing Donald would remove and keep in the instructions with a later reprint, so I've not put it on here.
Ultimately a cheap +Card token with extra Journey token card interaction. Maybe too cheap for how strong it can be.

You can optionally turn your token over by choosing to gain the selected Action; maybe too loose from the contest brief seeing how other players can force turning it?

Unfortunately, since turning the token over is forced when the trigger occurs, this won't quite qualify. Sorry. It wouldn't qualify even if only you could trigger it.

To clarify, when I said that turning over the Journey token can be conditional, if that condition is not something that can be optionally performed (such as discarding two cards to turn your Journey token over), i.e. it's something passive like "if you have 5 or more Actions in play" or when a specific event (such as gaining a card) occurs, then turning your Journey token has to be optional, even if triggering that specific event is optional to begin with.

Reaction cards that flip your Journey token over with its Reaction automatically qualify (unless it's a mandatory Reaction like Patron's) since revealing it is optional. Same with calling Reserve cards.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:55:07 pm by Gubump »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 03:00:19 pm »
+1

Question for contest mod: if I design another traveler line where some cards have 'you may turn your journey token over', does that qualify? It's one of the ways to keep with the spirit of the contest while preserving the rule that journey token up > journey token down.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 03:09:40 pm »
+1

Sea Fog - $4
-

If you want the image to show up properly, go to the link, right click on the image, select "view image," and paste that url into the [ img ] [ /img ].

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 03:10:15 pm »

Question for contest mod: if I design another traveler line where some cards have 'you may turn your journey token over', does that qualify? It's one of the ways to keep with the spirit of the contest while preserving the rule that journey token up > journey token down.

Yes, that should qualify. I'll have to see the Traveller line first to make a concrete judgement, ofc.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:17:39 pm by Gubump »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.